March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- The Sims 4 on Boot Camp & Virtual Machines -

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    It's something to do with these new forums. Click on your name to go to your profile page, it will say on the left hand side.
    apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    LunaNova wrote: »
    Bit the bullet and bought the game. I have the demo running so i have my fingers crossed it will run the game. Anyone confirm if you got the demo running the game will as well?<br />
    <br />
    Using parallels 9 with windows 7.<br />
    <br />
    will update with other stats in a bit.

Yup have the Demo running with Windows XP on Parallels and it runs great. Just make sure your Service Packs are updated to 3 and so are your DivX drivers.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    edited September 2014
    msarobix wrote: »
    Here is another question. If I do decide to set up BootCamp to Run Sims 4 would it be beneficial to move my Sims 3 game to the Windows side as well? I am just wondering if my game will run better that way with less problems. I recently learned that I need to scrub my memory during game play and that has helped considerably, but if I am going to install Windows on my MAC should I just move all my Sims games to that partition. I need to know this so I can make sure to allow for enough space on the partition for both games if that is what I decide to do.

It doesn't run any differently on Windows. You still have to clear your Memory when you play. Well, I do as I play in Parallels with Windows XP. Personally, I'd stay on the Mac side to run the game. I mainly use the Windows side to install stuff from the Store or CC and to play around in CAW. I think the game looks much darker and not as nice as on the Mac side.
  • MALAiA46MALAiA46 Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited September 2014
    I am trying to install bootcamp but my bootcamp assistant doesn't give me the option to create a windows 7 install disk which I am trying to find a solution to. With desktop parallels I have to play the game on low settings or there would be many issues lag and since parallels warned me that it didnt find any video card there is graphic issues too on high settings.

I really just want to play it on my mac already!
    Post edited by MALAiA46 on
    MALAiA46 wrote: »
    I am trying to install bootcamp but my bootcamp assistant doesn't give me the option to create a windows 7 install disk which I am trying to find a solution to. With desktop parallels I have to play the game on low settings or there would be many issues with graphics and lag. I really just want to play it on my mac already!

Why would Boot Camp give you the option to create a Windows disc? Do you mean the support software?

2.png

apple-signature.png
    edited September 2014
    Ok.
    Post edited by MALAiA46 on
    Yes, that is entirely normal. The Windows support software are all the drivers written by Apple for Windows to recognise your hardware. You must download them and save onto a USB or similar.
    apple-signature.png
    @MALAiA46 - Boot Camp specific issues should really be posted in the Boot Camp thread. They will inform others if they are struggling like you, plus it keeps this thread on topic.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/579888/how-to-install-windows-using-boot-camp-step-by-step-instructions-with-screenshots/p1
    apple-signature.png
    edited September 2014
    Ok, here's my first comparison -

Parallels
    • OS 10.9.4
    • Windows 7
    • Parallels 10.0.1
    • 16Gb RAM (6Gb allocated to Windows)
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    • 2.6Ghx Intel i7

parallels.png

Boot Camp
    • Windows 7

boot-camp.png

These pictures were taken at the same time of day. All graphics Options in game were set to Ultra and were identical. The difference is astounding!
    apple-signature.png
    Ya second pic looks better. I had to stop playing in parallels because I could only play in low settings and it just wasn't enjoyable for me.
  • msarobixmsarobix Posts: 192 Member
    @BluebellFlora, so which do you prefer. I was already to install BootCamp on my MAC today, while at work, but I didn't have everything that I needed. I forgot to bring an external drive that I could format for Windows. So I hope to be able to do the BootCamp install tonight. I have my ISO file ready, I think. I followed the instructions I found on line and everything seemed to work the way it was suppose to. Fingers crossed I will have Windows installed later tonight and then will install the CAS Demo to make sure everything works before purchasing the game.
    Graphically I prefer Boot Camp. There really is no difference in performance between the two. It just depends whether you want to keep rebooting your Mac every time you want to play. I'm currently writing a long blog post about it with screenshots so that will be up in the next day or two :)
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora, Awesome. I look forward to reading your blog post. Please EarBurn me so I know when it is up.

By the way, I think it took me uploading a picture to become a member. I don't know why I had to re-upload it because it was uploaded for TS3 forums. weird.
  • DaphneLunaDaphneLuna Posts: 86 Member
    I'm playing on a bootcamped 2011 iMac (windows 7), and haven't been able to access the gallery once. I've tried everything under the sun -- disabled my anti-virus, disabled the windows firewall and my router firewall, opened several ports, clean-booted the machine, and uninstalled and reinstalled origin twice. Every time I try to connect to the gallery in-game, it freezes for a moment and says that it couldn't connect, even though my origin app says that I'm online. After trying so many fixes to get it to work, I'm concerned that it may have something to do with my machine/bootcamp itself.

Is anyone else having this problem?
  • keelanwebsterkeelanwebster Posts: 1 New Member
    Hiya,

I'm trying to run TS4 on a virtual Windows 7 System using Parallels.
    Every time I try running The Sims i get an error message saying
    "Unable to start:
    Can't run The Sims 4 with the video card in this system. Please check that the video card meets the minimum specifications and that the latest video drivers are installed."

Anybody know of a fix for this?

Specs:
    Mid-2014 15" Macbook Pro
    Intel Core i7 2.2GHz Quad Core
    16GB Ram 1600Mhz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    OS X 10.9.4
    Parallels - Windows 7/60GB Partition

Thanks!
    I got create a windows 7 install disk to appear but when I restart my usb doesn't show up and it says no bootable disk inserted.
    There was a bit of a learning curve, and technical difficulties, to install Boot Camp, but I finally got it installed. After getting the drivers installed correctly I was finally able to download Origin and then the CAS DEMO. Everything worked great.

I am running Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro with Windows 8. I will purchase and install the actual game tomorrow and report back how it runs. CAS was very smooth, with no hang-ups whatsoever.

Getting use to Windows again is a bit of a challenge, even though I use it at work it seems really different on my MAC, although, I use Windows 7 at work.
    Make sure you have the latest Service Packs and DivX drivers from Microsoft.
  • SammiBowammiSammiBowammi Posts: 3 New Member
    I have an iMac (I'll post specs later, I'm on my iPad currently) and have VMware Fussion installed. I'm able to run the game but I have had some issues but they seem to be consistent with what other players are experiencing. The most obnoxious problem is my game crashing after browsing the Gallery for a very shor period of time (after viewing two items, three if I'm lucky). I've barely been able to play because of work and school, but the 30 sec I spent in Live Mode before jumping into Buid/Buy I noticed something strange: my Sim seemed bit mapped around the edges; not pixelated all over, just the edges. I'm going to look into the problem more tomorrow and will post specs and settings that seem to work for me.

So excited to have found the Mac users trying to make TS4 work! The game is certainly far from perfect at this stage, but I am hopefully optimistic for its future.
  • snowolfysnowolfy Posts: 1 New Member
    I installed Sims 4 to Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit using BootCamp. I had no problems installing Win7 using Bootcamp with a Win7 Disk + MBA Super Drive. After updating Win7 I downloaded Sims 4 and installed to Win7 with no errors or hangups, the game is running smoothly and I have not experienced any lag at all.

MacBook Pro 15" Retina
    OSX 10.9.4
    2.5 Ghz i7
    16GB
    256 GB Flash Storage

BootCamp Partition: 80GB
    @keelanwebster - the Intel Iris Pro graphics are integrated but even so, the game should work. I had the pop up about an unsupported graphics card in Parallels but not Boot Camp. You haven't said what version of Parallels you're using. Is it up to date patch wise? Some people have reported issues with Intel cards and the noodle baby issue is an Intel problem. Update Parallels if you can and see if that improves. Also, how much RAM have you given Parallels?

@MALAiA46 - So your USB has the support software on it? You don't install that until you've booted into Windows and it won't be a bootable drive because it doesn't need to be. Turn off your Mac, hold down Alt and restart. When your bootable drives show up can you boot into Windows/Boot Camp? If not you will probably need to redo the Boot Camp partition. Boot into OS X, open Boot Camp assistant, undo the partition and redo it.

@SammiBowammi - others have reported the Gallery crash too. Could it be a RAM issue? How much RAM does VMware have? Great that we know VMware is running the game too :)
    apple-signature.png
  • athinasimsathinasims Posts: 157 Member
    edited September 2014
    I finally installed Windows via bootcamp and installed the Sims
    Impressions:
    It runs like a charm and the loading time is 5-10 secs maximum!
    Apart from that the game is poor as hell. Too many things missing.
    It got me really disappointed because it's an actual downgrade.
    Build mode is very good though much easier than Sims 3 but the camera is difficult to be used to.
    It is definitely not worth bying it at this price.
    MICHAEL JACKSON XSCAPE
  • espizhitoespizhito Posts: 2 New Member
    I've fixed my blurriness by activating laptop mode and uncompressed textures. Works fine now. got eveyrhitng on HIGH.
    So it's happening on high settings. @espizhito what Mac do you have? Specifically the graphics card.
    apple-signature.png