Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writer's block is BLOCKING my aspiration points!!!

Hellbiter88Hellbiter88 Posts: 916 Member
Does anyone have a fix for a sim NOT getting writer's block? For real, my sim has reached level 8 now and has published dozens of books and I cannot get him to have writer's block at all... it's an odd problem, but he can't acquire any new aspiration points because of it.. from what I can tell, there's no way to jump to other aspiration challenges as you need to complete the first one. I tried lowering his fun, energy, and social bars to minimum but he still won't get the block. Am I forced to reassign his aspiration just to build points?

EDIT: To fix this problem you can use one of two methods:

1) Activate "testingcheats true" and freeze motives--then "practice writing" for up to 24 hours

2) Activate "testingcheats true" and then type in "aspirations.complete_current_milestone"
Welcome to the forums!
hD8C13932
Post edited by Hellbiter88 on

Comments

• CaitarinaCaitarina Posts: 175 Member
    maybe you need the fine or boring emotional state?
    zy5wme.png
  • Hellbiter88Hellbiter88 Posts: 916 Member
    hmm I didn't know you could get "boring", haven't encountered that yet. I tried on "tense" but that didn't seem to work either.
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
  • trintastictrintastic Posts: 323 Member
    I'm trying on Uncomfortable right now. I moved his desk into the bathroom where every object is dirty. Nothing so far, but it's only been a couple of Sim-hours. Here's hoping.
    I had a breakthrough!!! Random as hell, but it seems to work. I activated max motives cheat, with no needs decay, and I had my sim "practice writing" for about 12-24 hours; by what is probably sheer dumb luck he succeeded in obtaining and passing the writer's block check. No notifications or anything popped up, which is why I am unsure of the EXACT amount of time that it took... but it seemed to work.
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
    All right! Tomorrow is my Sim's day off, I'll try it!
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    I would be interested in knowing if anyone achieves it without cheating. Did you actually try to get your sim enraged by having someone fight him or throw a drink in his face?
    Origin ID: Barbara917
    YES! IT WORKED!

I did cheat the needs, but it only took about 6 hours of straight writing.

@Sincerbox, my attempt at making the sim work in an uncomfortable environment had only resulted in him being "Far too uncomfortable to write", but no actual "writer's block" moodlet:
    Writer's Block
    (From, You Know...Writing)
    You've hit the wall... hard. Take a break, relax, and those creative juices will start to flow again.
    I am +1 excited to hear it worked for you too! That means it wasn't just a fluke. XD
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
  • DiedrupoDiedrupo Posts: 206 Member
    edited September 2014
    I have this problem too. So the fix is non-stop writing?
  • katyasmnvkatyasmnv Posts: 103 Member
    My sim had a writer's block twice or three times already without any cheats. I don't remember what state of mind she was in though. She just writes continuously for a few hours and there she has it. If it happenes again, I will report back with details ;)
    > @Diedrupo said:
    > I have this problem too. So the fix is non-stop writing?

I had originally tried to achieve this without cheats, but I didn't have any luck. So I activated the cheats and just had him crank on the practice writing for hours and eventually it broke through... strangely, after that was accomplished he get's writer's block on a semi-normal basis without cheats, so idk. If it's not working for you though, I would try the above method. Writing multiple books in a row DID NOT WORK for me--the practice writing non-stop did. Hope it helps.
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
  • DiedrupoDiedrupo Posts: 206 Member
    Thanks man, I'll try that. Kinda sucks to waste time on practice writing instead of actual books but hopefully it does the trick.
  • desertrose0601desertrose0601 Posts: 114 Member
    Fascinating! Thank you I'll try this. My Sim has written several books already and never had writers block. It's been driving me bonkers! Lol.
    yeah it was super frustrating for me too. but i guess it's a pretty common bug.
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
  • Zenith25Zenith25 Posts: 185 Member
    I've been having this trouble too and nothing seems to work. Thanks for sharing that trick, I'll go and try that now. :)
  • Zenith25Zenith25 Posts: 185 Member
    It worked, hurrah! Took nearly 24hrs but I got there eventually, lol. Thanks again! :)
    Glad it helped! :p
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
  • Phantomrose90Phantomrose90 Posts: 299 Member
    I'm running into this problem too; so far, not getting the Writer's Block, but I'll keep trying.
  • FeekishFeekish Posts: 1 New Member
    So glad I finally tabbed out to see this. My sim is lvl 10 writing maxed author and not one a writers block..Hope the practice option helps
  • meggiewesmeggiewes Posts: 1,066 Member
    Here is a silly question: are any of you not getting the writer's block moodlet have any inspiration boosting moodlets going on at the same time, even if your emotion isn't inspired?

I haven't actively tried to get it yet, but I noticed that when I fed the flirty cookies to the girl I was trying to date, her overall emotion didn't change to flirty but because she had to have a flirty moodlet (from the cookies) the romancing options went a lot easier.
    edited September 2014
    meggiewes wrote: »
    Here is a silly question: are any of you not getting the writer's block moodlet have any inspiration boosting moodlets going on at the same time, even if your emotion isn't inspired?

I haven't actively tried to get it yet, but I noticed that when I fed the flirty cookies to the girl I was trying to date, her overall emotion didn't change to flirty but because she had to have a flirty moodlet (from the cookies) the romancing options went a lot easier.

You know I actually got writers block using the method I described above with bookworm, creative, and nerd/lazy traits. I also had one of those "inspirational" emotion lamps from TS3 expansion special content that made my sim consistently inspired at all times while writing, and he still got writer's block after like 12 hours. So I can confirm that neither creativity trait nor inspired emotion are linked to writer's block.

Edit: and before that I tried with all of those emotions/traits/ambitions removed. had zero effect.
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
    IIRC, it took my Sim about six hours of writing using the Need Decay Off cheat, with Geek and Creative traits, and all environmental inspiration auras disabled.
  • SimGuruLyndsaySimGuruLyndsay Posts: 339 SimGuru
    Sounds like you stumbled on something that's harder than it should be. I'll let the team know, looks like you might have found a way around it? I hope so. We'll look into the tuning to see if we somehow made it unintentionally impossible :(
  • RblDiverRblDiver Posts: 31 Member
    edited September 2014
    I got writers block by writing about two and a half books straight with no interruptions for doing other stuff. (Side note, I think there's a similar mechanic for video games; after a long while playing one of my sims was sick of them for a period) (that the timeframe for this was anything under one month indicates the devs are blasphemers! lol)
    edited September 2014
    SO MAJOR UPDATE:

If anyone is having a problem getting through writer's block, another generous user on these forums shared a hidden cheat that I did NOT know about! Type in: "testingcheats true" FOLLOWED BY "aspirations.complete_current_milestone"

Enjoy :D

Edit: Credit for this goes to @TwistedMexican

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/778600/ive-compiled-an-extended-list-of-cheats-and-commands#latest
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932