Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Cursor?!?!! -Reopened-

ThinkMissPinkThinkMissPink Posts: 160 Member
edited November 2014 in PC - Technical Discussions
---Anyone able and willing to answer the latest question, Please read post from September 8 by Alichai.---
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I purchased and downloaded the Sims 4 digital delux through Orgin. It downloaded fine, it started okay, everything looks/works great EXCEPT there is NO cursor!!
I blindly move my mouse across the screen until it highlights whatever check mark/'X' or option is onscreen. There is NO cursor!
-Can this be fixed?
-Is there an option under Settings I perhaps over looked?
-Does anyone else have this problem?
-If yes, how do I fix this?

Thank you for reading
“I'm curious about that chicken, eating the rock. I mean, he seems to lack the basic intelligence required for pretty much... everything.”
―A villager discussing Heihei
Post edited by ThinkMissPink on

Comments

• Options
    chase_paynechase_payne Posts: 58 Member
    Typically a missing cursor is caused by video driver issues, have you check to see if you had any updates?
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hi,

Does the mouse cursor appear when running the game in window mode? You can toggle window mode on or off by pressing Alt-Enter on your keyboard. Also, do you happen to have any mouse cursor accessibility features enabled through Windows?
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    Thank you both for your comments.
    chase_payne: How can I check the video driver?
    Nichaedemus: Pressing Alt-Enter didn't do anything. However, the cursor appears when the game is in window mode, NOT in fullscreen mode. I checked the "Pointer" and "Pointer Options" it seems to be working fine, up-to-date and all.
    “I'm curious about that chicken, eating the rock. I mean, he seems to lack the basic intelligence required for pretty much... everything.”
  • Options
    chase_paynechase_payne Posts: 58 Member
    Personally I would just save the time and run the game in windowed fullscreen, that should have the game in full screen with your cursor.
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    AlichaiAlichai Posts: 17 New Member
    I have basically the same "sounding" problem, except it's worse. I have mouse and keyboard control through the splash screens, but as soon as the white background comes up, I don't get the new cursor and my keyboard has no interaction with the game whatsoever. So far, I have to run it in windowed mode, and yes, there is a "full-screen windowed" mode, but if it runs fine now on "High" everything, it should run like butter if it didn't have to be windowed. I also can't edge-scroll even though it is turned on. Anyone know why I lose all input methods in normal mode?

Win 7 - Home Premium 64
    Alienware 14 2.70GHz
    16 gigs ram
    GeForce GTX 765m

Thanks For any suggestions!
  • Options
    Kerrysimmer91Kerrysimmer91 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, guys so I have the missing curser problem, I have had the game a good while, I havn't downloaded anything new to it, but the last 2 days when I have loaded my game it's just not there I have never had this problem before so why now???? why would I need to try the things you guys suggested, when I've never had this problem before???? I've checked updates it up to date, I tried repairing my game last night, it crashed the laptop, and I had to reboot everything, when I came to play the sims 4 after that is redownloaded everything, but have the problem again for the 2nd night of playing can anyone help????
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hi, guys so I have the missing curser problem, I have had the game a good while, I havn't downloaded anything new to it, but the last 2 days when I have loaded my game it's just not there I have never had this problem before so why now???? why would I need to try the things you guys suggested, when I've never had this problem before???? I've checked updates it up to date, I tried repairing my game last night, it crashed the laptop, and I had to reboot everything, when I came to play the sims 4 after that is redownloaded everything, but have the problem again for the 2nd night of playing can anyone help????

Hello @Kerrysimmer91
    Try doing what is suggested in this blog post and see if that helps the issue.
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/08/mouse-pointer-is-invisible/
  • Options
    Will2theCokerWill2theCoker Posts: 1 New Member
    After sifting through all kinds of game settings, windows settings, different mouse, etc., I finally found the answer for when your mouse cursor does not show up, not only for Sims 4 but for other games. Just deselect "display pointer trails" in the mouse control panel option. I found information in the link from @rosemow but it will not allow me to paste her link. Just enter your Windows Control Panel, Devices and Printers, Mouse, and then enter the Pointer Options tab. Deselect the "Display pointer trails box" in Visibility. This solved the problem and can now see the mouse pointer/cursor.
  • Options
    After sifting through all kinds of game settings, windows settings, different mouse, etc., I finally found the answer for when your mouse cursor does not show up, not only for Sims 4 but for other games. Just deselect "display pointer trails" in the mouse control panel option. I found information in the link from @rosemow but it will not allow me to paste her link. Just enter your Windows Control Panel, Devices and Printers, Mouse, and then enter the Pointer Options tab. Deselect the "Display pointer trails box" in Visibility. This solved the problem and can now see the mouse pointer/cursor.

Hello
    It is good that your issue has been fixed :) This is the link
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/08/mouse-pointer-is-invisible/
  • Options
    RogerFitch_1963RogerFitch_1963 Posts: 1 New Member
    the display pointer trick off works! THANKS WILL2THECOKER...
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    the display pointer trick off works! THANKS WILL2THECOKER...

It is good that your issue has been fixed :) Also, welcome to the foriums!
  • Options
    SimsScareMeSimsScareMe Posts: 16 New Member
    Hey, everyone.
    So last night I did an Update + Shut down on my PC. This morning I open up Sims 4 to find that my cursor in game is not the Sims 4 cursor, but instead my regular Windows cursor. Any idea on how to fix this? I've tried going fullscreen, windowed fullscreen, windowed, restart the game, restart the computer, repair the game (twice)... Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Hey, everyone.
    So last night I did an Update + Shut down on my PC. This morning I open up Sims 4 to find that my cursor in game is not the Sims 4 cursor, but instead my regular Windows cursor. Any idea on how to fix this? I've tried going fullscreen, windowed fullscreen, windowed, restart the game, restart the computer, repair the game (twice)... Any suggestions?

Hello
    Try deleting the cache files and see if that helps
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

If the issue remain, try moving the options or options.ini file that is in your sims 4 folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issue remains. You will need to reset any settings changes that you made in game options, due to the new options or options.ini file that will be generated.
  • Options
    @rosemow , Unfortunately, these suggestions did not work. My cursor has only started being replaced by my Windows cursor, as well as my friends game, after having updated Windows.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    @rosemow , Unfortunately, these suggestions did not work. My cursor has only started being replaced by my Windows cursor, as well as my friends game, after having updated Windows.

I am sorry that you are having this issue :(
    It may be best to start a new thread on the Sims 4 Tech section of the AHQ EA site and there may be simmers there who can offer other suggestions
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4
    Sometimes when this occurs, the issue randomly fixes itself up. Perhaps try seeing if the issue still remains tomorrow, after restarting your computer then.
    Post edited by rosemow on
  • Options
    InsaneStarInsaneStar Posts: 94 Member
    edited May 2018
    Looks like I got this issue as well when my PC needed a update today overnight. Tried everything like repairing or restarting the PC and I still get the cursor. Not also that, but this issue is making the game more laggy, especially in San Myshuno (though, San Myshuno has synchronizing time issues in the past, but this has cranked up to 11). Not also Windows need an update, but the Sims 4 needed an update as well to match the Windows update to keep the game more stable?
  • Options
    NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    This morning I open up Sims 4 to find that my cursor in game is not the Sims 4 cursor, but instead my regular Windows cursor. Any idea on how to fix this?
    Another player had a similar problem with their mouse cursor as well. The following post may be of help:
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • Options
    InsaneStarInsaneStar Posts: 94 Member
    Turns out Discord is the problem! I turned it off and my cursor went back to normal. Thank you. :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    InsaneStar wrote: »
    Turns out Discord is the problem! I turned it off and my cursor went back to normal. Thank you. :-)

I am glad that the issue has been fixed for you :)

If you have Discord it may be the cause of your issue also @SimsScareMe
  • Options
    @InsaneStar , @rosemow Yes, It was Discord! Which I find kind of odd and slightly annoying considering I use Discord every time I'm on my PC.
    But! I did find a way to get it to work. I like for Sims 4 to be in Windowed Fullscreen so the process went a little something like this:

1. Close Discord Completely > Start Sims 4 in WF (Windowed Fullscreen) > Mouse works in-game > Open up Discord > Pan mouse to Discord then back to Sims 4 > Mouse in-game switches back to regular Windows mouse. > Wamp-wamp.

2. Close Discord Completely > Starts Sims 4 in FS (Fullscreen) > Mouse works in-game > Minimize out to open up Discord > Maximize Sims 4 > Mouse still works in-game! > Switches game to WF (Because I prefer WF) > Moves Discord to other monitor > Pans mouse back and forth > Mouse works!

NOTE: That I do have Discord Overlay switched off. :)
  • Options
    @InsaneStar , @rosemow Yes, It was Discord! Which I find kind of odd and slightly annoying considering I use Discord every time I'm on my PC.
    But! I did find a way to get it to work. I like for Sims 4 to be in Windowed Fullscreen so the process went a little something like this:

1. Close Discord Completely > Start Sims 4 in WF (Windowed Fullscreen) > Mouse works in-game > Open up Discord > Pan mouse to Discord then back to Sims 4 > Mouse in-game switches back to regular Windows mouse. > Wamp-wamp.

2. Close Discord Completely > Starts Sims 4 in FS (Fullscreen) > Mouse works in-game > Minimize out to open up Discord > Maximize Sims 4 > Mouse still works in-game! > Switches game to WF (Because I prefer WF) > Moves Discord to other monitor > Pans mouse back and forth > Mouse works!

NOTE: That I do have Discord Overlay switched off. :)

It is good that you have found the cause of the issue @SimsScareMe . It is helpful to read your workaround for the issue :)
  • Options
    grumpy_alligrumpy_alli Posts: 13 New Member
    Hello everyone!

I would also like to confirm that Discord is the issue. After reading this forum, I made sure to turn off the Discord overlay for the Sims 4 and the cute cursor is back. I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your day!