Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

There is no lighting issue with Sims 4; pics inside

JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
I see some people saying there is a lighting issue with Sims 4, they think houses are too dark. The problem is actually that the already built houses that come with the game either don't have enough lights or use cheap lights that don't produce much light, or both.

Here is a starter home with just the lights on that came with the house:

No_added_lights.jpg

Here is the same home with 1 light added to each room, including the kitchen:

1_added_light.jpg

Same as before except with an extra light in the kitchen:

2_added_lights.jpg

Same as before but with yet another light added in the kitchen:

3_added_lights.jpg

I just moved the lights around in the kitchen to space them out better when adding them. Keep in mind these are using cheap lights that don't give off much light.

This is the same house as before but with just 5 better lights that manage to light up the whole house:

5_lights.jpg

Same house with 3 wall lights and 1 ceiling light in "neutral white" tone that light up the whole house:

Neutral_white_lights.jpg
Post edited by JoeWow1003 on

Comments

• SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited September 2014
    Dude, there's five lights in the kitchen/dining room.

Edit: And with that one light on, it doesn't even look like there's a light on -_-
  • Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    I haven't had to do that, my lighting is fine.
  • JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    SimChic1 wrote: »

The kitchen/dining room is about half of the total size of the house. I really don't see the problem, this isn't anything out of the ordinary in any Sims game I have played.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    @Simschic1 I read everything in Gordon Ramsley's voice now lol

Jow, Since when do we need 5 pluming light in such a small kitchen to illuminate it? Lighting problem right there.
    I believe part of the issue is light not coming through windows properly during the day.

I'm 99% sure you work for EA and you're trying damage control
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »

The kitchen/dining room is about half of the total size of the house. I really don't see the problem, this isn't anything out of the ordinary in any Sims game I have played.
    About half the size of the house means nothing when the house is tiny.
  • JadedsinsJadedsins Posts: 233 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »

Jow, Since when do we need 5 pluming light in such a small kitchen to illuminate it? Lighting problem right there.
    I believe part of the issue is light not coming through windows properly during the day.

Or they have common sense, and calling out one of the negatives that people repeat.

ROFL, right? Reading it in his voice makes everything better.
    And lol
  • phineas1920phineas1920 Posts: 935 Member
    In sims 3 I put one single light in most rooms and it's plenty to light it up, even if they're a good size.
    5fhzzo.jpg
    Jow, Since when do we need 5 pluming light in such a small kitchen to illuminate it?

You are focusing on it just being a "kitchen" when as I said before that one room is half the size of the entire house. I remember needing to add a lot of lights in Sims 3 to illuminate the place.

Also to be totally fair I could probably take one light out of the kitchen area, I just wanted a light right above the desk with the computer plus I left all original lights in the house.
  • KramYraeloKramYraelo Posts: 734 Member

I've played all three previous games and never remember having to put that many lights in a house, not that small. Maybe remove some of those and repost the pictures so we can judge a little better.
    In sims 3 I put one single light in most rooms and it's plenty to light it up, even if they're a good size.

Really? Did everyone get a different version of Sims 3 than me? :/

I remember needing to add several lights to each room in Sims 3 to get it looking light enough for me. Only rooms small enough that fit just a toilet, sink and shower needed only 1 light.
    I see some people saying there is a lighting issue with Sims 4, they think houses are too dark. The problem is actually that the already built houses that come with the game don't have enough lights in them; there is no issue with the game itself.

Here is a starter home with just the lights that came with the house on:

No_Lights.jpg

Here is the same home with all of the lights on, including the lights I added to the house:

Lights.jpg

Quoting OP just in case Joe decides to change it after I called him out.
    KramYraelo wrote: »
    Maybe remove some of those and repost the pictures so we can judge a little better.

Fair enough. I'll add one light at a time so everyone can see the difference. I guess everyone's idea of "bright enough" is different. I like really bright homes.
    Jow, Since when do we need 5 pluming light in such a small kitchen to illuminate it?

You are focusing on it just being a "kitchen" when as I said before that one room is half the size of the entire house. I remember needing to add a lot of lights in Sims 3 to illuminate the place.

Also to be totally fair I could probably take one light out of the kitchen area, I just wanted a light right above the desk with the computer plus I left all original lights in the house.
    That kitchen is half the size of the house, yes. But the house is also tiny soooooooo...
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    Hopefully they'll introduce those invisible lights found in Sims 3's "BuyDebug" section that disappear when you go to Live Mode. I love rooms full of light, but I don't like a lot of clutter in the form of lamps taking up valuable floor space.

The kitchen is super tiny, just like the rest of the house. I never need more than one light in a room in Sims 3, I'm referring to proper sized rooms.
    Okay I changed the original post to add more pictures.

Even just adding 1 light per room and 1 extra light to the kitchen makes everything much better. As I said I just like really bright homes.
    I'm just saying it looks dim. Like, less bright than TS3.

Well I'm obviously not going to change your mind. Even photographic proof isn't going to change your mind so obviously nothing I say will :p
    edited September 2014

Well I'm obviously not going to change your mind. Even photographic proof isn't going to change your mind so obviously nothing I say will :p
    Funny, one could say the same to you.
    You sure you didn't mean to spell that with a D?

It does look dim, I think that size should be brighter with one light
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    Even just adding 1 light per room and 1 extra light to the kitchen makes everything much better. As I said I just like really bright homes.

I do, too. I'm not sure what it is about Sims 4, it just seems a little more grayed-out inside the homes. Outside the lighting is actually perfect. I think it has the right amount of brightness. But inside....there's just a tinge of gray to everything. But your last pictures are a lot brighter.

I wonder if it's some kind of issue with how shadows are rendered in the game.
    SimChic1 wrote:

I agree, but I can't put my finger on exactly why. I think it has to do, at least in part, with the shadows, though.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

Why are you guys using cheap lights?

The game has always been the same. Each light delivers a different amount of light on the scale of 1 - 10 that objects provide.
  • EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    The game will benefit heavily from a lighting mod. Period.
    hEFcp6z.gif