Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So Far I Like It

Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
I'm a builder and a player, but the first thing I wanted to do before jumping into the game was create one community lot to rule them all. I just can't stand the loading screens and the few that I have encountered have irked me the wrong way. So to start off, I've played for just over 2 hours, almost completely in build mode. My impressions are based purely on that for now.

Build

-Call me dumb, but I couldn't figure out how to complete a room. I mean where you drag out the room and then bam, there it is. I tried pressing enter, which was the obvious choice, plus putzing with the spacebar and mouse buttons, nothing worked for me. The only way I could complete the room was by switching categories. That made building the rooms difficult.

-Some things are a lot easier and, dare I say it, intuitive. No, for real, it really is. This whole drag in and out feature is awesome. It saves so much time...and that's good because...

-Some things are hard to figure out. Perhaps it is because I was an avid builder in TS2 and TS3, but I got pretty annoyed when I would do what I know from previous games and it would mess up, particularly when placing counters. Pressing delete to cancel the next counter will also delete the counter you placed beforehand, but maybe just make it invisible. I'm pretty sure that is a bug.

-You actually can't place anything next to a curtained window. That's probably the worse thing I encountered because I'm a space-saver and curtains now take up space.

-The indoor lighting is HORRIBLE! I cannot say that enough.

-Another thing is a problem from TS3 is still there...the one where the game doesn't recognize your secondary video card. I had to manually point to it after wondering why the game put my settings at low-medium and lagged a lot. Once I turned my nvidia card on, it worked fine.

-The deco and objects are pretty awesome. Some things don't match, but overall, I like what I see.

-I like that things don't take up too much space. I was able to place a fireplace behind a bar and it took up 4 tiles from the wall total.

-It will take a little getting use to aesthetically.

-So far building has been a pretty good experience. I haven't run into anything that made me want to pull my hair out. I do miss advanced building, but I can get over it.

And here are some pics of the lot I'm building:

09-02-14_1-05nbspAM-2_zps4086fcb3.png

09-02-14_1-05nbspAM_zpsbcfbb331.png

09-02-14_12-31nbspAM-2_zps342f8288.png
Post edited by Mstybl95 on

Comments

• justin5812justin5812 Posts: 632 Member
    Dude. I need to download that lot, like yesterday.
  • lexxsimslexxsims Posts: 366 Member
    What a beautiful lot! :o
  • keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    Nice one.

I've not actually touched build mode at all yet but from the LBs it seemed like once you'd enclosed an area with a wall it'd become a room.

As for the lighting, I like it. It feels a lot less saccharine. Not going to be for everyone though, I suppose.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    If you drag out the walls and then let go, it just sits there in the half invisible way waiting for you to drag some more. I couldn't figure out how to get it out of that mode. Probably should have read the tutorial. LOL
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Thanks for posting this...and I'm loving your lot so hard right now! *grabby hands*
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
    Thanks!

-Another thing that the game does that doesn't make much sense. It replaces walls with fences. So in TS3, I could shift+click and drag a fence around a wall to quickly enclose the whole thing. In TS4, it will also replace the wall. And it does that for those decorative trims, too. That can get annoying.

It seems like for every timesaving improvement, they got rid of something else that saved time.
  • MckinneyMiniMckinneyMini Posts: 456 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I'm a builder and a player, but the first thing I wanted to do before jumping into the game was create one community lot to rule them all. I just can't stand the loading screens and the few that I have encountered have irked me the wrong way. So to start off, I've played for just over 2 hours, almost completely in build mode. My impressions are based purely on that for now.

Build

-Call me dumb, but I couldn't figure out how to complete a room. I mean where you drag out the room and then bam, there it is. I tried pressing enter, which was the obvious choice, plus putzing with the spacebar and mouse buttons, nothing worked for me. The only way I could complete the room was by switching categories. That made building the rooms difficult.

-Some things are a lot easier and, dare I say it, intuitive. No, for real, it really is. This whole drag in and out feature is awesome. It saves so much time...and that's good because...

-Some things are hard to figure out. Perhaps it is because I was an avid builder in TS2 and TS3, but I got pretty annoyed when I would do what I know from previous games and it would mess up, particularly when placing counters. Pressing delete to cancel the next counter will also delete the counter you placed beforehand, but maybe just make it invisible. I'm pretty sure that is a bug.

-You actually can't place anything next to a curtained window. That's probably the worse thing I encountered because I'm a space-saver and curtains now take up space.

-The indoor lighting is HORRIBLE! I cannot say that enough.

-Another thing is a problem from TS3 is still there...the one where the game doesn't recognize your secondary video card. I had to manually point to it after wondering why the game put my settings at low-medium and lagged a lot. Once I turned my nvidia card on, it worked fine.

-The deco and objects are pretty awesome. Some things don't match, but overall, I like what I see.

-I like that things don't take up too much space. I was able to place a fireplace behind a bar and it took up 4 tiles from the wall total.

-It will take a little getting use to aesthetically.

-So far building has been a pretty good experience. I haven't run into anything that made me want to pull my hair out. I do miss advanced building, but I can get over it.

And here are some pics of the lot I'm building:

09-02-14_1-05nbspAM-2_zps4086fcb3.png

09-02-14_12-31nbspAM-2_zps342f8288.png

You are a great builder :-).
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member

It's a lovely lot but I can't get over how weirdly blocky that tree looks and its flat lack of detail in the trunk. What the heck EA?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2014
    Thank you for posting the problems you encountered in build mode. I like the lot you built, it's really nice. The lighting in TS4 does bother me greatly. I hated the dark rooms in TS3 and was always screaming at the screen, LOL, because rooms were so dark I couldn't see the actual wall paper colors without removing the roof. That was extremely annoying. I love TS2 because the Windows Actually let in Natural Light and it's more natural than the TS3 or the TS4. I don't think this is something they will fix in TS4 and it does make indoors look so freaking dull and gloomy.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    AmaraRena wrote: »
    It's a lovely lot but I can't get over how weirdly blocky that tree looks and its flat lack of detail in the trunk. What the heck EA?

That is one of many gripes about the aesthetics. If you look in the background, you can see beautiful willows. The setting looks gorgeous. So I wanted to place a willow at the center of the lot and build around it (a kind of nod to New Orleans after Katrina). And that is what I see. Yep...not sure if I am going to keep that there.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Thank you for posting the problems you encountered in build mode. I like the lot you built, it's really nice. The lighting in TS4 does bother me greatly. I hated the dark rooms in TS3 and was always screaming at the screen, LOL, because rooms were so dark I couldn't see the actual wall paper colors without removing the roof. That was extremely annoying. I love TS2 because the Windows Actually let in Natural Light and it's more natural than the TS3 or the TS4. I don't think this is something they will fix in TS4 and it does make indoors look so freaking dull and gloomy.

I might get used to it eventually, but at the moment, I can't stand it. I feel like I have to put a light on each tile.

-One more thing that is annoying, if a hanging light is next to a wall, you can't hang a picture under it. You have to move the light a half tile away from the wall, same with curtains.
  • MorpetMorpet Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2014
    [quote="Mstybl95;776196"]-Another thing is a problem from TS3 is still there...the one where the game doesn't recognize your secondary video card. I had to manually point to it after wondering why the game put my settings at low-medium and lagged a lot. Once I turned my nvidia card on, it worked fine.[/quote]

HI Misty, could you possibly share how you did that? I'm stumped!!

Also can't get my phone to quote properly, sorry!! :)
  • Gawdfather1Gawdfather1 Posts: 601 Member
    Those lots are really well done. I'm very interested in seeing the finished result.
    Banners.jpg
    Well, if you have a secondary card that is nvidia, I can help. It might be different for other card types.

--If you go into "show hidden icons" by the clock, you will see the green and black nvidia shield.
    --Right click it and select Open nvidia Control Panel
    --Then on the left, select Manage 3D settings
    --Select the tab Program Settings
    --Click add and find the path to TS4. It should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 4\Game\Bin\TS4.exe
    --Under option 2, select High Performance NVIDIA Processor

Click apply and that should do it. You will have to restart the game.
  • kayleigh_j_pkayleigh_j_p Posts: 27 New Member
    Great advice, thank you!
    More pics:

Here you can see that the tables and chairs are up against the walls. I can't put curtains. :(
    09-02-14_7-31nbspAM-2_zpscc837a48.png

But moving them a half tile away from the wall enables me to put curtains.
    09-02-14_7-33nbspAM_zps68d9a816.png

09-02-14_7-31nbspAM_zpsd9aca957.png

09-02-14_7-48nbspAM_zps645b93e6.png
  • MorpetMorpet Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks so much!!! I was always wondering why my Sims 3 wasn't playing as good as it should be! :)
    That'll definitely do it. Once you set it, you shouldn't have to worry about it anymore unless you uninstall and reinstall.
    More build issues:

The roof isn't visible inside unless you remove a part of the floor tile.
    09-02-14_9-39nbspAM_zps6471eeea.png

09-02-14_9-39nbspAM-2_zpsa53a0ff9.png

09-02-14_9-38nbspAM_zpsbeeeecd8.png

09-02-14_9-39nbspAM-3_zps2742d9cc.png

Trying to place a fence around an outdoor area caused the entire lot to enclose.
    09-02-14_9-51nbspAM-2_zps9976dc67.png

09-02-14_9-51nbspAM_zps7e779798.png

09-02-14_9-51nbspAM-3_zps525d9c74.png
  • Waterninja11Waterninja11 Posts: 65 Member
    It looks AMAZING
  • simmey1simmey1 Posts: 580 Member
    That lot looks amazing, great job!
  • PancakeBobPancakeBob Posts: 75 Member
    beautiful! :)
    btw about the lighting; you have to place many lights indoors and rooms will look brighter.
    It also depends on the colors you use. I have one room that is in dark traditional colors and it is very dark inside, even with a ton of lights. The room I used white or cream on the walls, that room is pretty bright. And I notice that the wall lights are the brightest out of them all.
    More pics:

09-02-14_10-33nbspAM_zps074904c4.png

09-02-14_10-34nbspAM_zpse51959ee.png

09-02-14_10-34nbspAM-2_zps1937ca78.png

09-02-14_10-33nbspAM-5_zps7410475b.png

09-02-14_10-33nbspAM-3_zps48f43a4a.png
    For those that are interested, I uploaded the lot:

01_zpsbbd8b995.png

It is called The Riverwalk with hashtags #CommLot #OneLot #LessLoadingScreens

It contains a lounge, bar, game room, internet cafe, library, gym, arts and crafts center with a music room upstairs. Outdoors is the chess, gardening, grills and seating, and the pirate ship jungle gym for the kids.