Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lighting mod needed urgently!!

2...Next

Comments

• kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    Out of curiosity, what is it you want the mod to achieve?
    Better lighting...
  • SimGuruMeatballSimGuruMeatball Posts: 314 Member
    cooli02000 wrote: »

Hi, we would like it to be a bit brighter. We also want to know if they buydebug cheat will come back.

What would you like to be brighter? :) How dark things are when there are no lights in a enclosed room?

No, when lots of lights are added and set to maximum intensity the interiors still look too dark. We'd like the maximum to be brighter.

Thank you for joining the discussion by the way, I hope you guys take our feedback onboard. :)

Not sure what you are basing this on, guessing you don't have the actual game yet? Some lamps have a shorter falloff than other, which makes them affect the surroundings less than others. But you can find lamps that fill the space nicely and you can also adjust the intensity. I have no problem creating a very brightly lit room.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • cooli02000cooli02000 Posts: 1,974 Member

Hi, we would like it to be a bit brighter. We also want to know if they buydebug cheat will come back.

What would you like to be brighter? :) How dark things are when there are no lights in a enclosed room?

No, when lots of lights are added and set to maximum intensity the interiors still look too dark. We'd like the maximum to be brighter.

Thank you for joining the discussion by the way, I hope you guys take our feedback onboard. :)

Not sure what you are basing this on, guessing you don't have the actual game yet? Some lamps have a shorter falloff than other, which makes them affect the surroundings less than others. But you can find lamps that fill the space nicely and you can also adjust the intensity. I have no problem creating a very brightly lit room.

We also want to know if you guys are welcoming the VPN option. It's so we could get the game early. The VPN is legal, but we're wondering if you guys are against using Asian VPNs to get the game early.

kirby356 wrote: »
    Better lighting...

That doesn't really mean anything though.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • CrowRidgeStudioCrowRidgeStudio Posts: 233 Member
    edited September 2014
    I myself don't have the game yet, no. I've caught most of the liveplays though, and it seems consistently very dark inside during the day. I'd like to think I'll change my mind when I get the game later tonight, but judging from the LP's I doubt it.

Well, like invisible lights please. Will that return with the buydebug cheat?

We currently don't have any of the fake fill lights that we created for World Adventures, but we can probably make something similar again at some point.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
    I myself don't have the game yet, no. I've caught most of the liveplays though, and it seems consistently very dark inside during the day. I'd like to think I'll change my mind when I get the game later tonight, but judging from the LP's I doubt it.

Most of the prebuilt lots have been built with more distinct lighting, rather than flat fill (studio) lights, so that is probably what you are seeing.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    I've noticed that a lot of the interiors walls are dark and drab. It was like that in Midnight Shadows? (that store world that was really dark) Anyways, as soon as I started putting in color, the place brightened right up.
  • SimsontheropeSimsontherope Posts: 291 Member
    edited September 2014
    In real life, you don't have to turn on the lights if you want your room to be lighted (when there are windows, yep). On all of videos or pictures, even if the room has enough windows, the interior is too dark during the day. You have to turn on the lights sometimes, and even with that, the room is still not bright enough.

All the people I've seen talking about the lights seem to agree.
    7FOHKlj.png
    Clothes, hairstyles, buildings, sims and objects available on my blog, Un Sims au Bout du Fil
    Origin ID simsontherope
  • pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    @SimGuruMeatball. from what I’ve seen in a video today (and not for the first time), I’d think a somewhat simple way to make everyone happy would be to set the maximum value of the light dimmer to a higher value, but leave the defaults as they are now.

The video was this one – the relevant bit is at 17:15 where the user thinks the lights are too dim, tries to make them brighter (but can’t, because the dimmer is already at max) and ends up buying completely different lights.

While I personally don’t think the lights in that video are necessarily “too dim”, I do think one shouldn't be forced to resort to an entirely different style in order to have brighter lights – would be nice if users could have their floodlit rooms if they want to, and still be fully flexible when it comes to interior design style ;)

Or perhaps this is easily tunable anyway? In TS2 and 3 I used to tweak this kind of thing in xml (or whatever that was in TS2) .. but I don’t have the game yet so can’t tell.

Thanks for asking, in any case!
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
    pbox wrote: »
    @SimGuruMeatball. from what I’ve seen in a video today (and not for the first time), I’d think a somewhat simple way to make everyone happy would be to set the maximum value of the light dimmer to a higher value, but leave the defaults as they are now.

The video was this one – the relevant bit is at 17:15 where the user thinks the lights are too dim, tries to make them brighter (but can’t, because the dimmer is already at max) and ends up buying completely different lights.

While I personally don’t think the lights in that video are necessarily “too dim”, I do think one shouldn't be forced to resort to an entirely different style in order to have brighter lights – would be nice if users could have their floodlit rooms if they want to, and still be fully flexible when it comes to interior design style ;)

Or perhaps this is easily tunable anyway? In TS2 and 3 I used to tweak this kind of thing in xml (or whatever that was in TS2) .. but I don’t have the game yet so can’t tell.

Thanks for asking, in any case!

Yes, what you are saying (and seeing in the video) is correct. Different lamps have different max default intensity depending on what kind of lamp they are. So some will be brighter than others. That is by design and, if a lot of players dont like that, is something we can look at adjusting in the future for sure.
    Art Director @ Maxis
    @SimGuruMeatball
  • SimsontheropeSimsontherope Posts: 291 Member
    edited September 2014
    @pbox , @SimGuruMeatball : just before replacing all the lights, James deletes all the cheap ones (at 17:44) : even if there is 4 big windows in this small living room, the room is really dark. Maybe we have this impression because of the contrast with the outside, which is very bright, but it's quite annoying. ^^

It would be nice, if we have an option to change the light setting in the interior, to make it brighter during the day, even without lights (again, if there is enough window, it's the case here).
    7FOHKlj.png
    Clothes, hairstyles, buildings, sims and objects available on my blog, Un Sims au Bout du Fil
    Origin ID simsontherope
  • pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    edited September 2014
    That is by design and, if a lot of players dont like that, is something we can look at adjusting in the future for sure.

That would be great – what would be even better were if that mysterious “documentation” on modding best practice etc would be released, so that everyone could do their own tuning, and lighting could be available in 3627 flavors to suit everyone’s taste.

@Tiro22222, that (the windows) is exactly why I believe tunability is more important than presets – if the windows behave anything like in TS3 that would be easily tuneable (so that they let in more/less light, on a per-window basis), but right now we don’t know, because the documentation is still not available. All I hear is “ZOMG that game is *so much* more moddeable". Which sounds good of course.

(ETA, one thing I've definitely learned from tuning lighting in previous games is just how much we underestimate the adaptability of the human eye in real surroundings. Like when you’re outside on a summer day (or even a normal day) and look into a room, it looks pitch dark – but once you go inside, snap, your eye adjusts and you perceive the room as well lit. It's really, really difficult to acheive that sort of effect on screen where you need to be able to see both in- and outside simultaneously and perceive both as realistic.)
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
  • FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    My TS3 was too dark, I agree with other users I had to use the buydebug lights all the time and had the lights turned on in every room even during the day time because it was too dark >-<

I did get a lighting mod for TS4 but it's a bit too blinding now, my sims faces look like they've had photoshop overlays slapped over them.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    I understand that some lights create more light than others (like real life) and some windows/doors allow more light than others (like real life) but in real life if you have a room full of windows you shouldn't need a bunch of lights on in the room to be able to see in a room.
    tumblr_nbf2lfOUuD1tijkr7o2_1280.png

That's 6 ceiling lights in a not very huge area in a house I built. Before adding all the lights I could hardly see in that room and it has 6 windows and a glass door.
    And then if you add curtains, even if they don't cover the entire window, they further cut out the amount of light getting into a room... even the little ones that are tied back on each side, in real life that wouldn't really cut down any light.

It's just... too dark :/
    My house has pretty much only one window per room and it's blinding in here during the day...
    HSon1Mq.png
  • ShutupandSimShutupandSim Posts: 124 Member
    The lighting inside the houses is one of the things that is really making the game unplayable for me. Its not logical or realistic to have a wall covered in windows and 10+ Lights per each room.
    Its almost as if the lights brighten up everything but completely miss the Sims - I'm hoping this is a glitch and will be fixed in the first post.
  • JustKeepSimmingJustKeepSimming Posts: 3,447 Member
    edited September 2014
    There is a lighting mod out now! I'm not sure if someone has already posted a link, but here's the one that I'm using which works SO well:

Source of where I saw it: http://simsvip.com/2014/09/06/the-sims-4-adjustable-indoor-lighting-mod-now-available/

Download link: http://game.ali213.net/thread-5506062-1-1.html
  • marystarbrightmarystarbright Posts: 2,859 Member
    Mod the Sims also has a lighting mod up now :)
  • LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    I've tried all three lighting mods and they all have the same issues. The colors are over-saturated. Anything that is light colored (whites, yellows, little wood grains, etc) are blinding. I don't really have an issue with too dark houses but I've also upped the lighting in the in-game menu to highest level and used the hanging light that gives off the most light.

I just wanted a mod so I didn't have to do all that, it's still early days in mod making for this game so hopefully with a few more tweaks there will be one that has the right level of contrast so things aren't so blown out.

The game is also installed on a much older laptop that has a card rated as low/medium. Graphics are horrendous on that device. Long loading screens and the interiors of some of the houses are so dark that you can barely see the Sims. I'm mostly interested in fixing the lighting for that device since the card can't handle higher settings. BTW, the same over saturating is happening in that game as well.
  • wrswrs2wrswrs2 Posts: 935 Member
    is anyone else having issues with the lights like this
    lights.png
    It makes my sim so yellow I can not see his features! And I set the lights to low (in settings and actual lights in game) and tried some mods, but nothing works!
    http://ecoast.tumblr.com/ --- Simblr + Im Kreis Custom Content
    http://tmmts4.tumblr.com/ --- Top Model Magazine Cover Archive