Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does it seem that people are going to take Lazy Game Review's words law?

I'm genuinely interested in this, because from a topic I was reading there were comments along the line of; "I don't like the Sims 4, but if LGR gives a good review of it (which I doubt) I'll try it out". Why is this? If your play style is not in the game and it seems like it doesn't have anything to offer you, why would you change your opinion just because of one person? For all you know, he could give it a good review and you could play it, and then be utterly bored because your play style isn't there. I don't know, this just seems hypocritical to me. I don't understand why you would let one person sway your stance that has probably been set for months now, just because he "tells it like it is". I mean, it's his opinion and his personal experience with the game, and if you're one of the people who had their play style taken out, it could be completely different for you. Sorry if this is a little bit off-topic.

Comments

• Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    Well i have to wait and see his review.
    Well of course you would. This whole topic is just based on if he gives a good review, and that's a pretty huge if.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,660 Member
    He mainly has un-biased opinions about games (most of the time).
  • Options
    Cynel1Cynel1 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Cynel1 wrote: »
    Well i have to wait and see his review.
    Well of course you would. This whole topic is just based on if he gives a good review, and that's a pretty huge if.

im Still getting the Game i just want to see what LGRs say of sims 4.
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 644 Member
    I don't even know who the LGR is, I am getting the game as soon as possible and I have already pre-ordered it.
    Check out my Youtube channel where I create life simulation gaming videos including content about the Sims 4! MellowGamerChick YT
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,660 Member
    His reviews are also very entertaining as well as informative without being (usually) over 10 minutes.
  • Options
    MafiastyleMafiastyle Posts: 714 Member
    LGR is a good source because well he isn't payed by EA to do reviews so his opinions are truthful. He's also has provided all new items in each of his reviews and goes over everything. (The big main points which are super important as well as comparing what the price is to the level of gaming it really has.) I respect LGR his reviews have really been the deal breaker for me. This time I Pre-ordered anyways so his word isn't law but I'm still interested in hearing what he has to say. (At work lol)
    39d589ef4e5a6ca8bd17fc4bfd12fec6.jpg
    Babies everywhere, thank you shadow cat.

• Options
    Mainly because people trust him. If you get your opinion from a site or YouTuber who focuses solely on The Sims, they are much less likely to point out anything at all negative. It will push away people who actually like the game, which is precisely who their target audience is. LGR is much much more diverse. If he thinks a game is garbage, he will say so because he doesn't stand to lose anything by giving an honest opinion.
    I understand this, but why buy something just because he gave it a good review? Even if it didn't support your play style. That's the part I don't understand.
  • Options
    panapopspanapops Posts: 429 Member
    Yeah, I never branch out and try new things because someone impartial says they're surprisingly good and can back it up. Because of this I have played exactly one game series in my entire life and will defend that series and its owners to death. No further, though, 'cause they took that feature out, but that's okay because people pointed out that they personally don't mind, so why should I?
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I'm only watching the review for entertainment purposes. I'm 100% not buying the game.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    I like his reviews because he tells it like it is. He's not EA's little cheerleader, which is nice.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    reni344reni344 Posts: 362 Member
    Yeah I watch his reviews and find them really funny even when I have no interest in the content. But I make a decision for myself if a game is worth the price or not. I already pre loaded and am looking forward to playing tomorrow night.
  • Options
    NaitaipaiNaitaipai Posts: 10 New Member
    > @CapraCorn104 said:
    > I'm genuinely interested in this, because from a topic I was reading there were comments along the line of; "I don't like the Sims 4, but if LGR gives a good review of it (which I doubt) I'll try it out". Why is this? If your play style is not in the game and it seems like it doesn't have anything to offer you, why would you change your opinion just because of one person? For all you know, he could give it a good review and you could play it, and then be utterly bored because your play style isn't there. I don't know, this just seems hypocritical to me. I don't understand why you would let one person sway your stance that has probably been set for months now, just because he "tells it like it is". I mean, it's his opinion and his personal experience with the game, and if you're one of the people who had their play style taken out, it could be completely different for you. Sorry if this is a little bit off-topic.

Because usually his reviews won't necessarily tell you whether you'll like the game or not. His reviews usually question:
    - What type of gameplay is in the game?
    - How much content is in a game?
    - Are there bugs and how bad are they?
    - Does the game have any genuinely new gameplay that we haven't seen before?
    - Does he subjectively find the game fun for his gameplay style?
    - Is the game worth the current price given all of gameplay, content, bugs, etc?

Some of those questions are objective, not subjective. Given his history of thorough (mostly objective) reviews yeah I think a lot of people would give the game a try if he gave it a decent review.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I just think the way he does reviews are funny, easy to watch and listen to..... but I wouldn't choose whether to buy or not based on anyone's review or opinion :D
  • Options
    Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    edited August 2014
    When he posted something good about sims 4 some people then said he was biased. Even though before they they said he was fair. I just think he is funny.
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    I think basing a decision off of any one's personal review is a dumb choice but that's just me. I buy what I buy based on what I want not what other people might like//tolerate//dislike//etc. I don't find LGR unbiased. I loved Katy Perry's Sweet Treats and his video full of that was basically nothing but his own personal opinion. I like watching him but no way will what he says make me want or not want some thing.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    Snosrap522 wrote: »
    When he posted something good about sims 4 some people then said he was biased. Even though before they they said he was fair. I just think he is funny.
    I think it was a twitter message telling people to "chill out" about toddlers, ect. I don't remember the topic I saw it on, but people were saying that they were disappointed in him for some reason.
  • Options
    duckofdoom2002duckofdoom2002 Posts: 89 Member
    I don't really pay much notion to reviews in any type of entertainment whether it's for books, movies, music or games. Everyone has their own opinion of what they like and value. However no one opinion can be applied to everyone. So what should you do? Try something for yourself and form your own opinion. If you like it great! If not then you can return the game (EA has a return policy for this game if you bought the digital version from origin within I think a week or so? Not 100% sure on the details so you'll have to read about that for yourself).
    tumblr_n5qff3lygs1rm3gh5o1_500_by_sapphireluna-d7qhib6.png
  • Options
    DuncarinDuncarin Posts: 362 Member
    I've disagreed with a few of his reviews. The one that sticks in my memory the most was his Dragon Valley review. He basically slated it on price but as store worlds go DV was one of the better ones and came with a lot of included content and was way better value than any sp.

Having said that LGR is going to say what he honestly feels without an agenda and that's why people like him, myself included.
  • Options
    aaronrogers8i3aaronrogers8i3 Posts: 555 Member
    edited August 2014
    His reviews are fair and honest which seems rare lately. Most youtubers are constantly negative.
  • Options
    asiamomma82asiamomma82 Posts: 390 Member
    I make my own informed decisions about which games I'll buy. I watch LGR for his humor more than anything, dude is funny.
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    Because he does bring up really good points when he reviews stuff.