Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Delving into the Data Files

bludhoundbludhound Posts: 297 Member
I'm done with preloading TS4, and decided to take a look at the data files out of curiosity. Here are some of my thoughts:

1) The 2 unlockable lots, one for each world, are actually "subhoods". Probably single-lot subhoods, much like the community park. And there is just one per world, for those holding your breath that there would be more. The file sizes for these subhoods are much smaller than the others.

21eyoaw.png

2) Much of the game is moddable, including routing, story progression, careers, and free will. I guess we can look forward to those awesome story progression mods. However, I'm not sure if the white outline can be removed via mods.

dptfls.png

3) There will be some sort of visualization mode, where you can visualize, for example, the path your sim is going to take in the form of a line. While this may not be of any value to general players, it is certainly useful for modders who are looking to alter or fine-tune the routing system for instance.

206lhqh.png

4) I've not opened the actual content files to see what goodie's in there, but I sure hope they're worth the huge amount of disk space they occupy.

29glchh.png

The thumbnails.package file is a good place to catch a glimpse of build/buy items and CAS parts in the game. I've managed to extract all the thumbnails. They have a strange blurry background, maybe because of how the game interprets the image data. Here are some items of interest:

Dish cabinets
95sldj.jpg

Frog tank
2coo844.jpg

Looks like a trophy of sorts. Could this be one of the unlockable rewards?
331ggfo.jpg

Toys? Hope they have interesting interactions (@ebuchala has mentioned that those are actually collectible aliens)
2llj7yx.jpg

As drivable vehicles aren't in the game, probably spawners for décor vehicles
ajqty9.jpg

A wedding arch
29ztte8.jpg

A detailed Asian-style roof?
2mminbq.jpg

Am I dirty-minded or is this what I think it is?
whnty9.jpg

There are lots and lots of drink thumbnails. Hundreds if not thousands of them.
6g90s8.png

Don't even know what to make of these. Lots with uneven terrain?
244o96b.jpg30uy35i.jpg

Here are some of the new items in CAS
1zl7teh.jpg
Post edited by bludhound on

Comments

• Options
    Sirjohn4420Sirjohn4420 Posts: 421 Member
    thanks for this its awesome
    2v9ekhx.gif
  • Options
    PixelsSquaredPixelsSquared Posts: 3,265 Member
    edited August 2014
    I can't wait to see what the 'FullBuild' and 'DeltaBuild' Packages contain. They can tell us a lot about what's in the game. So far, TS4 also looks more moddable than TS3. Are you planning on opening the thumbnails.package any time soon?
    ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
    Time Won't Keep Us Apart - A story.
    MTS: SimsForever15 | Origin: vba152318 | Paradox: PixelsSquared | Simblr: PixelsSquared
  • Options
    zombieghostgirlzombieghostgirl Posts: 419 Member
    that is awesome. thnx for this.
    I study psychology. I am often observing social interaction and human behavioral patterns which means you are all my lab rats each time you post.
  • Options
    amuromaxamuromax Posts: 32 Member
    Looking through the thumbnail package basically gives you a look at all the items in the CAS.

Saw this while looking:

seROIvl.png

Animal hat set. I think this is a child, because the thumbnail for the adult wearing it was different.

There was this a full clown make-up, which is funny 'cause I thought we weren't getting any full face make-up.

8lQ9Mv7.png

Still digging around...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @sims152318 Seems like a bunch of thumbnails, as the filename suggests. I'm extracting them as we speak. Could take some time, though. There are 125165 items in the file. In the meantime,

egb7rp.png

Not sure why selecting items in s4pe is so slow. It's selecting them at ~20 items per sec.

Here's one of the extracted images:

23u3ejs.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    amuromax wrote: »
    Looking through the thumbnail package basically gives you a look at all the items in the CAS.

Saw this while looking:

seROIvl.png

Animal hat set. I think this is a child, because the thumbnail for the adult wearing it was different.

There was this a full clown make-up, which is funny 'cause I thought we weren't getting any full face make-up.

8lQ9Mv7.png

Still digging around...

Hmm... I'm wondering what the clown makeup is categorized as. Is there really a full face makeup section that wasn't available in the demo? Anyways, thanks for sharing these. :) Tell us what else you find.
    ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
    MTS: SimsForever15 | Origin: vba152318 | Paradox: PixelsSquared | Simblr: PixelsSquared
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

They did say The Sims 4 was designed to be modded by the players, and was actually built for modders in mind unlike the previous games (although The Sims 2 did allow mods The Sims 3 was much harder to work with).
  • Options
    Gawdfather1Gawdfather1 Posts: 601 Member
    I really wouldn't be too optimistic about modders fixing this game, If you think this forum is down on TS4, you really don't want to hang out on the Mod the Sims forums, it's pretty vicious over there.

The best of the Bug fix guys Twallan Retired from modding, he was the big cheese of the NRAAS mods.
    Banners.jpg
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Thank you for posting the first bit of news I am excited about! I really look forward to playing with the game itself and creating items in the future. :#
  • Options
    Mouse1996Mouse1996 Posts: 269 Member
    The unlockable lots must be those two secret areas mentioned in the game guide SimVIP put up on her site. You get there by doing certain things in certain areas. I believe one is a cave and I forgot the other one, might be a park of some kind. I think it said you can get special items them as well but don't quote me on that.
    ed_zpsyclgaymk.gif
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Oh I really hope someone will be able to mod out that horrible outlining glow effect. It will be the first mod I'll use!
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    bludhound,

Thanks for that info I truly hope some decent modder steps up if required but its a bit naff if EA made the game with modders in mind before perfecting the game themselves....

What is that white line around everything when they are demonstrating in live mode? Is that actually going to be in our game-play as if so I think that would be a deal breaker for me at this point.
  • Options
    LightestsLightests Posts: 853 Member
    dig harder people! (or teach me how to mod :3)
    tumblr_n4lzmoWGk41s7cn3go1_400.gif
  • Options
    @SPARKY1922 I'm unable to tell if the white line can be removed via a mod. They probably got the idea from SimCity 5. I'm personally not bothered by it too much, but I can understand how it can be annoying, especially if it shows up in storytelling pictures/videos.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited August 2014
    I wonder if the clown make-up is part of the career outfit for some level of the comedian career? ETA: And thanks for posting this!
  • Options
    AtomicusAtomicus Posts: 2,438 Member
    Thanks for sharing. Please can you look for a mention of toddlers? :cry:
  • Options
    keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing, OP.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Atomicus wrote: »

^this

wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I would be shocked if there were remnants of toddlers. On the bright side, it would actually kind of show that they truly didn't have enough time to include them. It would show that they really weren't lazy. It would be such a tease though.
    ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    sims152318 wrote: »

I would be shocked if there were remnants of toddlers. On the bright side, it would actually kind of show that they truly didn't have enough time to include them. It would show that they really weren't lazy. It would be such a tease though.

Toddlers have already been mentioned in the CAS demo. Honestly, these guys just copy and paste from previous games. I'm pretty sure I even saw a reference to TS3 somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.
  • Options
    bludhound wrote: »
    @SPARKY1922 I'm unable to tell if the white line can be removed via a mod. They probably got the idea from SimCity 5. I'm personally not bothered by it too much, but I can understand how it can be annoying, especially if it shows up in storytelling pictures/videos.

I will have to watch the game videos again but I did not worry about it when I first noticed it because I thought it was a glitch that would be sorted out before we got the game. I do find it really annoying but that's just me and I cannot understand why its there when it does not have to be? I mean what does it bring to the game? :D
  • Options
    bludhound wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that we've been told that some of the developers of SimCity (2013) were brought in to work on TS4's UI, which is why it's so similar to SC 2013's UI. The white line around Sims and objects might be somehow related to that.

ypU37gD.gif
    Pricefield forever.
  • Options
    [quote="sims152318;

I'm pretty sure that we've been told that some of the developers of SimCity (2013) were brought in to work on TS4's UI, which is why it's so similar to SC 2013's UI. The white line around Sims and objects might be somehow related to that.

As I don't play any other PC games other than Sims I have never noticed it before anywhere, I really don't like it but I will just have to see if I can get used to it :D
  • Options
    I've just updated the original post with a few pics from thumbnails.package.
  • Options
    hannmacyhannmacy Posts: 558 Member
    I'm a little confused. Why is there a story progression folder if there is no story progression?
    tumblr_nfjixx1N6E1qd5lw2o1_r1_500.gif