Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Graphics Card Decision

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to figure out which dedicated graphics card to get for my computer, I of course would like to play Sims 3 on high settings, and have it run smoothly. My computer is an AMD Quad-Core A10-6700 processor 3.7GHz (with Turbo CORE up to 4.3GHz), AMD Radeon HD 8670D graphics, 8GB RAM (DDR3), 4MB L2 cache, 1TB hard drive with Windows 8.1 64-bit. I currently have 8 EP/SPs installed with the settings pretty high already and the game plays pretty well, I'll experience some lag here and there. I would like to add more EP/SPs to it too. I've been looking at the GeForce GTX 650 Ti, GeForce GTX 750 Ti, and the Radeon R9 270. Can anyone tell me which card would be the better choice? Thank you!
You may call me Danielle or KittyKat, whichever you prefer, I like them both :P
My Page - My Studio - My Sims 3 FB Page
2zxozcx.png

Comments

• SungFishySungFishy Posts: 455 Member
    edited August 2014
    The R9 270 is the strongest out of those three. However if you want to save energy then get the 750 ti, since it only consumes 60 watts. How much watts is your power supply? If you play TS3 on high with the integrated 8670D, you may risk burning the chipset
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • KittyKat8103KittyKat8103 Posts: 873 Member
    Thank you for the response. That is one thing I'm not sure of. I went to the manufacture website and looked up my model, it says 350W peak, but I'll open it up and look at it tomorrow to be sure.
    2zxozcx.png
  • SungFishySungFishy Posts: 455 Member
    It is recommended you check the power supply requirement of each card before deciding.
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
    Ok, thank you!
    2zxozcx.png
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    If you only have 350 watt then you will need to upgrade the power supply.. something like 500 or more watts.
    You also have to make sure that a new card will fit in the case.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• CodySimsteinCodySimstein Posts: 1,466 Member
    Thank you for the response. That is one thing I'm not sure of. I went to the manufacture website and looked up my model, it says 350W peak, but I'll open it up and look at it tomorrow to be sure.

I'll await confirmation, but out of all the three you mentioned, I think only the GTX 750 Ti has the power efficiency to work with a 350W power supply (NVIDIA suggests a 300W minimum PSU), but it may be pushing the power supply too far, especially if its not a good manufacturer.

Cody
    Member of the Tech Responders team.

Ask me about custom-built PCs!

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
  • Garnet_AlexandriaGarnet_Alexandria Posts: 1,201 Member
    There's generally little reason to consider the GeForce GTX 650 Ti among the other two (unless it's vastly cheaper, and I admittedly haven't watched prices much lately). The Radeon R9 270 is a bit faster than the GeForce GTX 750 Ti, but if you factor in a PSU upgrade, that'll make it more expensive as well. Chances are, the Radeon R9 270 may even work fine on your existing PSU, but the GeForce GTX 750 Ti will for sure, and be about as fast (and for The Sims, you probably won't notice the difference between those three anyhow, but you may in other games). I'd say the GeForce GTX 750 Ti is probably the best bet.
  • CraziiMikuCraziiMiku Posts: 436 Member
    I have the r9 270 and it plays fine with minmal lag. I have around 4gb of cc and mods. My processor is an amd fx 4130 3.8ghz, 16 GB ram and windows 8.1.

I'll await confirmation, but out of all the three you mentioned, I think only the GTX 750 Ti has the power efficiency to work with a 350W power supply (NVIDIA suggests a 300W minimum PSU), but it may be pushing the power supply too far, especially if its not a good manufacturer.

Cody

It is 350, my manufacturer is Asus. Either way I'm thinking of upgrading it. Are there any brands I should stay away from?

Thank you everyone for the info, I appreciate it! :)

2zxozcx.png

Cody

It is 350, my manufacturer is Asus. Either way I'm thinking of upgrading it. Are there any brands I should stay away from?

Well I know some great brands to choose from - Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, EVGA, Superflower, Enermax. Any of these usually make good PSUs, but even then, not all of their models are consistent, so I would check with me or someone else before buying.

I would suggest getting at least a 500W power supply, so that it can last for multiple builds. Try and get 80+ Bronze as a bare minimum, but I can recommend 80+ Gold if your budget stretches that far. A modular power supply is also suggested to avoid too much cable clutter, but not essential.

I hope this helps,

Cody

Need to upgrade? - $400 for high settings in Sims 4 --> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LtphdC
    edited August 2014

Cody

Well I know some great brands to choose from - Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, EVGA, Superflower, Enermax. Any of these usually make good PSUs, but even then, not all of their models are consistent, so I would check with me or someone else before buying.

I would suggest getting at least a 500W power supply, so that it can last for multiple builds. Try and get 80+ Bronze as a bare minimum, but I can recommend 80+ Gold if your budget stretches that far. A modular power supply is also suggested to avoid too much cable clutter, but not essential.

I hope this helps,

Cody

Huge help! Thank you! Since I have to get a card I will have to go with the bronze, at least for now. I'm looking at the EVGA 500B 80+ Bronze 500W, model # 100-B1-0500-KR.

Edit: Lol it hashtagged

2zxozcx.png

Cody

I hope this helps,

Cody

Huge help! Thank you! Since I have to get a card I will have to go with the bronze, at least for now. I'm looking at the EVGA 500B 80+ Bronze 500W, model # 100-B1-0500-KR.

Edit: Lol it hashtagged

That is a pretty good choice, especially considering the price of it. I mean its not top end - it can be pretty noisy, and wouldn't support Haswell sleep states, but maybe this matters less than being able to play Sims 4. I would say go for it.

Any more questions?

Cody

Haswell sleep states? Is that just Intel? I'm AMD. Also, how can I tell if it's going to work with my motherboard? Or are they all pretty universal?
    2zxozcx.png
    I'll agree with corsair and seasonic being the top in power supplies.. also expensive lol.
    But I will add antec and a few of the coolermasters and Thermaltakes are also good.
    I have had 3 antecs.. never had a thing go wrong, has survived upgrades and even a faulty motherboard blow up.
    I have the true power antec at the moment and I have heard they are from seasonic.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Haswell sleep states? Is that just Intel? I'm AMD. Also, how can I tell if it's going to work with my motherboard? Or are they all pretty universal?

Just ignore me - I get more interested in techie stuff that's irrelevant for most people. Haswell sleep states is an Intel thing, its just I was thinking about if you upgraded to an Intel CPU in the future (the power supply should last a long time).

A power supply will work with any current motherboard - the computing industry has become standardised now, so that its easier to find good combinations of parts.

Go with the EVGA.

Cody

Just ignore me - I get more interested in techie stuff that's irrelevant for most people. Haswell sleep states is an Intel thing, its just I was thinking about if you upgraded to an Intel CPU in the future (the power supply should last a long time).

A power supply will work with any current motherboard - the computing industry has become standardised now, so that its easier to find good combinations of parts.

Go with the EVGA.

Cody

Lol, it's all right, it's still good to know ;). I went with the 600w. Same thing, EVGA 80+ bronze. Now just need to officially decide on the card.

Thank you everyone for the help! :)

2zxozcx.png
    May I suggest this card :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443
    It's better than the 750ti.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

May I suggest this card :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443
    It's better than the 750ti.

A good card. But the GTX 750 Ti can still handle Ultra settings, and is more power efficient. I don't think you'd see much performance difference between the two cards, but the 750 Ti would be a tad cheaper for your power bill... Up to you @KittyKat8103 :)

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody

I have a couple of weeks before making my final decision, I'll let you know what I go with ;). Thank you again, you've been such a great help! :)

Oh what about brands for the card? I've originally been looking at the EVGA.
    2zxozcx.png
    I have a couple of weeks before making my final decision, I'll let you know what I go with ;). Thank you again, you've been such a great help! :)

Gigabyte are great.. mine stays icy cold :)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

MSI's Twin Frozr IV cards (often branded 'Gaming Edition') are excellently cool and extremely quiet. However, EVGA tends to be a bit more suited for most rigs due to its stealthy colour scheme, as opposed to MSI's red and black one. The good manufacturers for NVIDIA ones are usually ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte or MSI.

I hope this helps and keep simming,

Cody

Thank you guys! :)
    2zxozcx.png
    Ok, update... I did go with the EVGA. Things ended up taking even longer, I couldn't get it to install. The monitor wouldn't pick up a signal from the card. Went through EVGA tech support, they said it was compatible with both the power supply and my motherboard. Asus said it sounded like something was wrong with my motherboard and wanted me to send it in. Nuh uh... instead we took back both the power supply and the graphics card and exchanged them for new ones. The new one installed with no problems. So obviously one of them was faulty. I'm betting on the graphics card. Anyways, YAY! Finally! Lol... thanks again guys for the help! :)
    2zxozcx.png
    Ok, update... I did go with the EVGA. Things ended up taking even longer, I couldn't get it to install. The monitor wouldn't pick up a signal from the card. Went through EVGA tech support, they said it was compatible with both the power supply and my motherboard. Asus said it sounded like something was wrong with my motherboard and wanted me to send it in. Nuh uh... instead we took back both the power supply and the graphics card and exchanged them for new ones. The new one installed with no problems. So obviously one of them was faulty. I'm betting on the graphics card. Anyways, YAY! Finally! Lol... thanks again guys for the help! :)

I'm glad everything's working now. :D

Happy simming!

Cody