Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*UPDATED* Supported Graphics Card List (The Sims 4 Edition)

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Can not buy Desk tops here, only lap tops in stores where I live, :)

I don't know where you live but Im assuming USA or Canada. I think they have Walmart there. I live in a town that only has Walmart. I bought my custom desktop on line and my gaming laptop. If you live in Canada their computers are a lot more expensive than the USA

I Live in USA , and bought My Laptop from Walmart, I made sure to get a laptop that had all I needed to play the sims 4 among my many other games I play on it, :)

Hardware changes , prices change. The average price of a laptop to survive this game is $800-900 and up at the moment. Sometimes you can get good sales depending on the time of the year. If you buy old stock when they are stocking new. The way Walmart is currently they change way too much for the specs required for this game on laptop. Desktop prices are much better. If people come in the forum and ask for a laptop or desktop we shop around for the best specs at the best price at that time. They are always coming out with new hardware and what is available now may not be available later.

Yup true, that is why I am so happy I got My Laptop when I did, it runs Everything I play perfectly, :)

There ya go you got lucky. More people should have came in and asked for computers this past back Friday. They were having a lot of good deals on leftover hardware. A lot of the leftover hardware is gone now and hard to find. The newer hardware is more expensive.

I am glad that others were able to get what is needed then, have a good day or evening, I am off to My game or My happy place to unwind, waves.

Have a great day/evening. Enjoy your game
  • HerOnlySunshineHerOnlySunshine Posts: 16 Member
    I am purchasing a laptop for school and personal use and my question is if it will run the sims 4? and if yes on what settings?

intel core i5-7200U
    8 GB DDR4 RAM
    128 GB SSD
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M
    1000 GB HDD

I'd be glad if someone could help me as i already asked on multiple forums and got many different answers
    I also had another one in mind (but there is the slight disadvantage that it only has windows 8 on it and i wanted windows 10 already installed but i suppose that's not a big problem

Intel Core-i7 4720HQ
    16GB RAM, 1TB HDD
    256SSD
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M
    I am purchasing a laptop for school and personal use and my question is if it will run the sims 4? and if yes on what settings?

intel core i5-7200U
    8 GB DDR4 RAM
    128 GB SSD
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M
    1000 GB HDD

I'd be glad if someone could help me as i already asked on multiple forums and got many different answers

This game requires a mid range gaming desktop. Laptops are weaker than desktop so you need a more powerful laptop to equal the desktop requirements. Laptops can not be upgraded. You are stuck with the specs you buy. If you buy a laptop that is under requirements it may not survive the game as it adds more and more. You will then be stuck with a laptop that can no longer run the game and a game you cant play.

This laptop is under recommended requirements.

The intel processor is only dual core that is what the U means. This game requires an i5 quad core on desktop so on laptop you would need a stronger laptop i7 processor quad core which will end in HQ or MQ

The video card is DDR3 vram You want a video card that is DDR 5 vram. You need a GTX 960m or better on laptop.

The first number is the series for Nvidia 900, 1000 etc. The 1000 series is better and newer than the 900

The second number , the higher the second number the better the card 50, 60, 70, 80. On laptop in the 900 series I would not go under 60 but over is fine. With the 1000 series on laptop you can go 1050 ti and up

8gb of computer ram is fine

hard drive at least 1tb to game and do your schoolwork
    edited February 2017
    I also had another one in mind (but there is the slight disadvantage that it only has windows 8 on it and i wanted windows 10 already installed but i suppose that's not a big problem

Intel Core-i7 4720HQ
    16GB RAM, 1TB HDD
    256SSD
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960M

@HerOnlySunshine My mistake I did not see you posted two hard drives. I only saw the SSD This laptop would be fine.
    So the second one would be okay? What settings do you suppose i could play the game on?
    Thanks already for answering and helping! @phoebebebe13
    So the second one would be okay? What settings do you suppose i could play the game on?

Your very welcome and yes second would be fine. I did not see the 1tb hard drive next to the ram at first and thought the laptop only had one hard drive. With two hard drives you will have more than enough room to do your school work and game. The ssd will boot windows quicker. If you buy this laptop make sure auto defrag is off on your SSD C drive. You don't want to dfrag your ssd. It will shorten the lifespan of an ssd. Your second HDD hard drive will be fine to defrag.

When user @DeKay comes on the forum , they can tell you what settings for this game. They have a laptop with similar specs

@phoebebebe13 I always appreciate the knowledge of the computer savvy people here. I know this thread is about video cards but I think it would be so great to have the above mentioned people talk about things people should look for when shopping. I'm going to be shopping for a gaming laptop soon and when I look at ads and articles it really gets confusing. I Know some things like the difference between integrated and dedicated video cards or why an SSD is faster but when I start reading articles about choices in components and that X is better than Y or this level of part is better than that level of part and they start spouting off brands and part names I get lost.

I think it would be a great stickied thread and a real community service.

Thanks! A sticky thread on these issues would be nice. This thread was abandoned a long time ago by the OP. Half the video cards on here will just barely or may not run the game any more due to all the game add ons.

I even get lost with all the new desktop hardware. That's a job for chesterbigbird. :p Laptop has less hardware overall to choose from

For now if anyone needs me or chester on these issues you can page us or send us a PM
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member

You should be okay in Ultra. I use a custom config for mine where I have every option on the highest settings except for Visual Effects and Reflection which I put to medium cuz I feel it doesn't do much difference compared to having everything on the highest.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • padfoot46padfoot46 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi, I am thinking of buying a desktop with these specs:

Intel Core i7-6700 Processor
    - 3.4GHz, 8M Cache
    4GB DDR4 RAM 2133
    1TB SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
    NVIDIA® GeForce GT740 4GB

Will it run the Sims 4 and if yes on what settings?
    Thanks!
    edited February 2017
    padfoot46 wrote: »
    Hi, I am thinking of buying a desktop with these specs:

Intel Core i7-6700 Processor
    - 3.4GHz, 8M Cache
    4GB DDR4 RAM 2133
    1TB SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
    NVIDIA® GeForce GT740 4GB

Will it run the Sims 4 and if yes on what settings?
    Thanks!

That laptop is under requirements. You need a better video card and more computer ram. GT cards are not for gaming. You need a GTX Nvidia card with DDR 5 vram

This game requires a mid range gaming desktop. Laptops are weaker than desktop so you need a more powerful laptop to equal the desktop requirements. Laptops can not be upgraded. You are stuck with the specs you buy. If you buy a laptop that is under requirements it may not survive the game as it adds more and more. You will then be stuck with a laptop that can no longer run the game and a game you cant play.

This game requires an i5 quad core on desktop so on laptop you would need a stronger laptop i7 processor quad core which will end in HQ or MQ . The processor you posted is fine

You want a video card that is DDR 5 vram. You need a GTX 960m or better on laptop. You dont want a 700 series card. They are not made anymore.

The first number is the series for Nvidia 900, 1000 etc. The 1000 series is better and newer than the 900

The second number , the higher the second number the better the card 50, 60, 70, 80. On laptop in the 900 series I would not go under 60 but over is fine. With the 1000 series on laptop you can go 1050 ti and up

8gb of computer ram

hard drive at least 1tb

Desktop you only need an i5 quad core

You again don't want a 700 series card or a GT card. You need a GTX card with desktop you can go GTX 950 and up of 1050 ti and up

again 8gb computer ram

at least 1 tb hard drive

Make sure the case has good cooling . Room for upgrades. just as important as the hardware inside the computer
    Thanks, but the specs that I posted are for desktop.

So based on your explanation for the desktop requirement, my processor is ok, but I need to upgrade my graphic card and ram?
    Sorry for double posting (I couldn't edit my previous post), but how about these 2 desktop?:

Asus G11CD-MY005T Gaming Desktop PC

Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor
    - 3.4GHz, 8M Cache
    4GB DDR4 RAM 2133MHz
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX950 2GB DDR3
    1TB SATA HDD

MSI Nightblade Barebone Kit B85 Gaming Series Desktop PC

Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor
    - 3.2GHz, 6MB cache
    8GB DDR3L RAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX750Ti 2GB
    1TB SATA HDD
    edited February 2017
    Thanks, but the specs that I posted are for desktop.

So based on your explanation for the desktop requirement, my processor is ok, but I need to upgrade my graphic card and ram?

I gave you desktop too
    Sorry for double posting (I couldn't edit my previous post), but how about these 2 desktop?:

Asus G11CD-MY005T Gaming Desktop PC

Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor
    - 3.4GHz, 8M Cache
    4GB DDR4 RAM 2133MHz
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX950 2GB DDR3
    1TB SATA HDD

MSI Nightblade Barebone Kit B85 Gaming Series Desktop PC

Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor
    - 3.2GHz, 6MB cache
    8GB DDR3L RAM
    NVIDIA® GeForce GTX750Ti 2GB
    1TB SATA HDD

The first desktop you don't need an i7 if you only play the sims , The first one also does not have enough computer ram. You need 8 not 4

The second computer does have older hardware. The processor is fine but as I said you don't want a 700 series card they are older and not made anymore.

If you post your budget and country someone can help you find a computer. What other games do you play?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @phoebebebe13 I always appreciate the knowledge of the computer savvy people here. I know this thread is about video cards but I think it would be so great to have the above mentioned people talk about things people should look for when shopping. I'm going to be shopping for a gaming laptop soon and when I look at ads and articles it really gets confusing. I Know some things like the difference between integrated and dedicated video cards or why an SSD is faster but when I start reading articles about choices in components and that X is better than Y or this level of part is better than that level of part and they start spouting off brands and part names I get lost.

Thanks! A sticky thread on these issues would be nice. This thread was abandoned a long time ago by the OP. Half the video cards on here will just barely or may not run the game any more due to all the game add ons.

I even get lost with all the new desktop hardware. That's a job for chesterbigbird. :p Laptop has less hardware overall to choose from

For now if anyone needs me or chester on these issues you can page us or send us a PM

This is actually a really interesting idea, @PHOEBESMOM601 . Kind of like "those techy words FAQ"? What's the difference between minimum and recommended requirements; what is your dxdiag, how do you get it, and is it a privacy issue; what are the CPU, motherboard, GPU, RAM, vRAM, SSD, DDR3/4/5; what is an integrated card and why is dedicated better; why do laptops cost more than desktops for similar power; can I upgrade this laptop; why am I asked what case or motherboard I have when I'm upgrading; why do people recommend I get better than the recommended level specs; how can tell if my computer is getting too hot; what's a cooling pad; how do I clean out a case. With specific reference to Sims (which is CPU-heavy compared to most other games and which computer store people think is about as lightweight on hardware as a Facebook game). And maybe a llama joke or two.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    The first desktop you don't need an i7 if you only play the sims , The first one also does not have enough computer ram. You need 8 not 4

The second computer does have older hardware. The processor is fine but as I said you don't want a 700 series card they are older and not made anymore.

If you post your budget and country someone can help you find a computer. What other games do you play?

So if I were to add more ram to the first desktop, then it'll be ok?
    I only play Sims (3 & 4).

This is actually a really interesting idea, @PHOEBESMOM601 . Kind of like "those techy words FAQ"? What's the difference between minimum and recommended requirements; what is your dxdiag, how do you get it, and is it a privacy issue; what are the CPU, motherboard, GPU, RAM, vRAM, SSD, DDR3/4/5; what is an integrated card and why is dedicated better; why do laptops cost more than desktops for similar power; can I upgrade this laptop; why am I asked what case or motherboard I have when I'm upgrading; why do people recommend I get better than the recommended level specs; how can tell if my computer is getting too hot; what's a cooling pad; how do I clean out a case. With specific reference to Sims (which is CPU-heavy compared to most other games and which computer store people think is about as lightweight on hardware as a Facebook game). And maybe a llama joke or two.

I think it is a great idea however they are always coming out with new hardware. The specs requirements for this game are old, they are not made anymore and people would have to learn computer specs and compare old to new to meet requirements. Just an example Nvidia cards are easy to follow when explained. Their number order is simple and explaining DDR 3 vs DDR 5 vram and GT cards vs GTX cards. AMD is not. Some of their numbers can be very confusing between integrated and dedicated. I myself have to use google sometimes

I think it is a great idea however they are always coming out with new hardware. The specs requirements for this game are old, they are not made anymore and people would have to learn computer specs and compare old to new to meet requirements. Just an example Nvidia cards are easy to follow when explained. Their number order is simple and explaining DDR 3 vs DDR 5 vram and GT cards vs GTX cards. AMD is not. Some of their numbers can be very confusing between integrated and dedicated. I myself have to use google sometimes

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking just a general FAQ that explains this stuff would be better than a list of specific recommendations that will get outdated. If it means you and chester in particular don't have to repeat that kind of info but can just link to it, that might be useful. Something that needs to updated much less often (like, say, it would have been to note that users would need higher level graphics cards to get the new lighting last spring).
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

So if I were to add more ram to the first desktop, then it'll be ok?
    I only play Sims (3 & 4).

Asus will not let you alter your computer while under warranty. I would contact them first. They may let you up the ram if they do it and you send the computer back to Asus and pay them or bring it to an authorized dealer. Not worth it. It's best to buy a computer that meets all requirements that you need it to. Its also best to go custom where you pick out your own certified hardware. You buy off the shelf you get stock.

as I mentioned if you want help finding a computer off the shelf or doing a custom please post your budget and country

Yeah, that's why I'm thinking just a general FAQ that explains this stuff would be better than a list of specific recommendations that will get outdated. If it means you and chester in particular don't have to repeat that kind of info but can just link to it, that might be useful. Something that needs to updated much less often (like, say, it would have been to note that users would need higher level graphics cards to get the new lighting last spring).

I don't mind repeating for those who need help. We do have cut and paste :p<3 . The computer should meet the persons requirements to whatever they need the computer for. Some are playing more than just the sims and need a more powerful computer. Chester and I always push custom desktop when we can. It is the best option. Even custom laptop if someone must have laptop. We also do it according to ones personal budget and price whether they can do custom or off the shelf. What may be available now will not be available 6 months from now. Chester and I shop around on different webs to try and get the person the best specs for the price. We look for sales etc
    @luthienrising PS this thread gets so confusing when people cant start their own thread for their specific question and people post one computer after another. It sometimes makes it confusing for us to read which computer is which. Same with threads that have several DxDiag in them. If we had a general info thread and many people were to post computer questions it would get confusing like this thread and any thread that is loaded with one DxDiag after another.
    @luthienrising PS this thread gets so confusing when people cant start their own thread for their specific question and people post one computer after another. It sometimes makes it confusing for us to read which computer is which. Same with threads that have several DxDiag in them. If we had a general info thread and many people were to post computer questions it would get confusing like this thread and any thread that is loaded with one DxDiag after another.

If you post at key points that it it's NOT a thread for asking for help, and is for info only, and the only questions to post here would be for clarification of definitions, it should work pretty much. After that it's just a matter of consistently closing people down with "please don't ask for personal help or about particular hardware on this thread".
    edited February 2017

If you post at key points that it it's NOT a thread for asking for help, and is for info only, and the only questions to post here would be for clarification of definitions, it should work pretty much. After that it's just a matter of consistently closing people down with "please don't ask for personal help or about particular hardware on this thread".

If EA was willing to do a sticky thread with general computer info and close it so people can't post I think that would work. Also state to ask forum tech about more specific computer questions. This would help some people. We already know that some people don't get that all 3d game requirements are for desktop not laptop. We get more issues with people who want to play on laptop. They must have laptop, they don't know that laptops are not upgradedable,are weaker than desktop, they don't want to spend the money they only play the sims. I don't need a gaming computer. I would love a specific thread targeted for laptop users
  • MourianaMouriana Posts: 10 New Member
    OK I am a semi-idiot: I know software well, but I stink at hardware, and I need to replace my graphics card in my desktop (the fan went out on the last one) and make sure that I get one that will run the Sims 4 and at least 4 expansions, as well as being able to connect to NVIDIA Shield (so obviously it has to be an NVIDIA card). I would prefer to spend less than $150 if possible. I haven't been able to play Sims 4 for MONTHS, because even before the old graphics card went belly up, the game was constantly crashing my entire PC. I have 8GB of RAM and an AMD FX-8350 8 core processor running Windows 10.1, so I think all those specs are still good, it's the video card that was doing me in. Any recommendations?