Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CURRENT DD (DAILY DEAL) ROTATION & SALES HELP: STARTED SEPTEMBER 22ND

Comments

• Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited May 2015
    @jbsquared2000 Thanks so much for the end table! I'm having a plum morning and you sure helped. :)

Edit: Oh you got me the dresser too! It didn't show up until I went into my purchased history. THANK YOU!
  • Options
    MermaidInWonderlanMermaidInWonderlan Posts: 219 Member
    Oh wow, been sick for a few days and I have a million pages that I can never catch up on! SO congrats to anyone who has completed the store in the last few days and yay to all the good things and boo to all the bad things!!

Happy sale-changing Wednesday!
  • Options
    AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    Why did you both have to quote me before I edited!!? :weary: I was editing to make sure that in horrifically and hopefully mortally offending @bekkasan I wasn't accidentally offending anyone else from the South :cry: That's just the incredibly sensitive person I am o:)

@Teegers Black is traditionally the colour of joy and awesomeness! Observe > :sunglasses:

@ZeeGee Sorry you've had a bad morning :pensive: I'm sure angering millions of English people can only help to make it better :kissing_heart:
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    AlphaFen wrote: »
    @ZeeGee Sorry you've had a bad morning :pensive: I'm sure angering millions of English people can only help to make it better :kissing_heart:

Didn't mean to offend! Just that I should have recognized that sharp Brit sense of humor. I lived there for years. Hubs is English and I have dual citizenship so I'm 🐸🐸🐸🐸/BRITISH. :) I did explain that in my original post but somehow it all got deleted except that first line.

Edit: Seriously? Red neck is a bad word?
  • Options
    Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    edited May 2015
    So is stup*d apparently!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Elf67 wrote: »
    So is stup*d apparently!

I'm really truly sorry :'( Just to clarify I think AlphaFen is very funny and she makes me laugh a lot, which is why I said what I did. I meant no disrespect.

Note to self: Stay off boards when having a bad morning.

*Slinks out of room with head hung*
  • Options
    jbsquared2000jbsquared2000 Posts: 895 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @jbsquared2000 Thanks so much for the end table! I'm having a plum morning and you sure helped. :)

Edit: Oh you got me the dresser too! It didn't show up until I went into my purchased history. THANK YOU!

You are very welcome - although I am sorry you've had a bad day! :(
    Playing the Sims, and talking to us, will make it better! :)

And does it crack anyone else up when the forum substitutes anything it thinks might be bad, with "plum"?? lol. I tried to thank one member repeatedly for the pr-ickly pear that he gifted me, and it kept changing pr-ickly to plum. Took me a while to realize why. Duh!
    Here, among friends, you can call me Jewels (or Julie).
    My not very profound or life-altering signature quote: Life is short, so laugh often - it will make your children nervous. B)

My thread of Sincere Thanks
    No more wishlist for me! It disappeared in a poof of gift-giving smoke!
  • Options
    AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    edited May 2015
    No no @ZeeGee :o You didn't offend me! :worried: I didn't mean to make you think that I'm so sorry :pensive: And @Elf67 Is just telling you that stupid is plummed she isn't defending my honour! I have no honour :flushed: The forum is very overly sensitive and plums the strangest things like cracker but luckily it still let's me through :smiley: : So come back and that is an order! :kissing_heart:
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Just that I should have recognized that sharp Brit sense of humor.
    That's me! :love: I'm as sharp as a brain dead jellyfish :sunglasses:

Edit: ^ If I consider being a jellyfish a compliment just imagine how hard to offend I am ;)
    Post edited by AlphaFFrog on
  • Options
    VGryphonVGryphon Posts: 1,310 Member
    Thanks to my Daily Deal stalking for the last month or so, I've just got the green download button for the Full Hewnsman set. I wish that I had found this thread earlier as it would have saved me even more sim points.
    I do not have a wishlist as I now officially own the store. I have a thank you thread. Here is my Sims 3 page. My top 5 list can be found here (it is empty).
    XmKUks3.jpg
    Click here to request a signature banner.
  • Options
    CogitotoroCogitotoro Posts: 1,401 Member
    Teegers wrote: »
    I used to have a little book on the language of the Appalachian mountains (where I'm from, born and raised in NC) that said essentially the same think, @Cogitotoro, that the language that was spoken in the mountains was the purest form of Old English in existence in the world today. The mountain settlers came on the boats from England and Scotland, headed into the mountains, and many never came down again. Most others avoided the mountains, so the language wasn't corrupted with other accents over the years. @bekkasan, where are you from? It's always nice to meet another southerner. :)

@Cogitotoro and @Teegers - think there's anything in there that mentions "ya'll?" I use that one all of the time, and my son thinks it's hilarious. :unamused: I'd love to haughtily tell him just how proper I really am! (and didn't know it..) :smiley:

I'm from Virginia - from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, also part of the Appalachians, @Teegers :smiley: - and I love "y'all" (sometimes "you-all"). It distinguishes singular from plural second person, very handy, and otherwise lacking in the English language. If I wanted to know if someone and his whole family are going to the pig roast, saying "are you going to the pig roast?" doesn't say it as well as "are y'all going to the pig roast?". We do sometimes get made fun of because of it, though, don't we? I remember when I visited San Francisco I asked a guy at a coffee shop, "Do you-all have a bathroom?" and he said, smirking, "We ALL do." I just thought, "Well, I wasn't interested in whether you personally have a bathroom!"

"Y'all" is an American innovation not present in British English, but "ain't" certainly came from England, and it's not nearly as nice as "y'all."

@bekkasan, I used to stay on Ocracoke with my girlfriends! A wonderful place. It doesn't get high-rises - or even beachfront properties - because it faces terrible hurricane damage. We used to drive on the beach until we found a stretch of perfect, sandy, glorious beach without anyone else on it and spend the day. I'm not sure it's still that uncrowded, though...
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @alphafen Ya know everyone in the south is related to everyone else in the south so yeah we are probably cousins once or twice removed. :lol: See even cousin @cogitotoro is a southern lady! :smiley:
  • Options
    jbsquared2000jbsquared2000 Posts: 895 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    @alphafen Ya know everyone in the south is related to everyone else in the south so yeah we are probably cousins once or twice removed. :lol:

That's right @AlphaFen - you are just one step away from saying "ya'll" like the rest of us cool Southerners! :wink:

Cogitotoro wrote: »
    I'm from Virginia - from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, also part of the Appalachians,

Me too @Cogitotoro! What a small world! :)
    Here, among friends, you can call me Jewels (or Julie).
    My not very profound or life-altering signature quote: Life is short, so laugh often - it will make your children nervous. B)

My thread of Sincere Thanks
    No more wishlist for me! It disappeared in a poof of gift-giving smoke!
  • Options
    ajaxpostajaxpost Posts: 4,200 Member
    edited May 2015
    ajaxpost wrote: »
    bekkasan wrote: »
    Do y'all really say 'reckon' across the pond? I thought that was a southern red neck thing.
    Indeed we do, though, of course, with an ever-so slightly more sophisticated accent ;)
    I love this topic. Interestingly, a lot of things we think of as "hillbilly" in American English are actually preserved remnants of what used to be British English words and pronunciation. Here's a great quote by Bill Bryson in his book Made in America about English pronunciation in the 1700s:

“…The pronunciations ‘chaw’ for chew, ‘varmint’ for vermin, ‘stomp’ for stamp, ‘heist’ for hoist, ‘rile’ for roil, ‘hoss’ for horse, and ‘tetchy’ for touchy were commonly, if not invariably, heard among educated speakers on both sides of the Atlantic. All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could probably do no better than Yosemite Sam.”
    Oh, wow, just loving the language debate going on here. I think I'm with you on this Ashley, it's a fascinating topic.

And thank you for mentioning Bill Bryson, I've certainly heard it said that some of the more 'remote' American settlements stayed true to olde English longer than anywhere else - though I'm not ready to accept than any modern American spelling or pronunciation is more 'genuine' than how we speak it over here ;)

I've only got a couple of Bryson's books but his love of our "Small Island" is wonderful; he really seems to understand how our minds work and cherishes the quaint weirdness :)

I took "Notes From a Small Island" with me on holiday many years ago ... it was quite embarrassing to read in a public place; the number of times I was reduced to snorting laughter! :o

If I may quote a particular favourite passage:
    Why ... do [women] find it so unsettling if you spend more than four minutes a day on the toilet? ... A woman of my close acquaintance and I regularly have surreal conversations that run something like this:
    "What are you doing in there?" (This said in an edgy tone.)
    "I'm descaling the kettle. What do you think I'm doing in here?"
    "You've been in there half an hour. Are you reading?"
    "No."
    "You're reading, aren't you? I can hear the pages."
    "Honestly, I'm not." That is to say, I was reading until a minute ago but now, of course, I'm talking to you, dear.
    "Have you covered up the keyhole? I can't see anything."
    "Please tell me that you're not down on your hands and knees trying to look through the keyhole at your husband having a bowel movement in his own bathroom. Please."
    "You come out of there now. You've been in there for nearly three-quarters of an hour just reading."
    As she retreats, you sit there thinking, did all that really just happen or have I wandered into a Dada exhibition? And then, shaking your head, you return to your magazine.
    Post edited by ajaxpost on
  • Options
    rionismynamerionismyname Posts: 1,154 Member
    @gnlove I hope you are having fun!!
    @Nevills and @gnlovew thank you for the gifts but you both sent Le Cirque Nouveau- Petite Auguste Top
    I'm a lover not a fighter. I'm a reader not a writer sorry for bad penmanship
    Hug hug huggly hugs
    Rion
    div.gif
  • Options
    IrisGoddessIrisGoddess Posts: 122 Member
    Woohoo! I got a green download button on Island Escape Compilation and it's not even the cheapest one. I'm excited.

I'm live in NC too, though from VA originally. I'll go to visit family up north and get teased for my accent use of some words like y'all. It doesn't bother me though...I love a NC accent!
    My Wish List store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=IrisGoddess
    Currently working on Muse Luxury and Tutor of Tudors.
  • Options
    gnlovewgnlovew Posts: 900 Member
    @rionismyname, thank you, we're having a lot of fun :) . I hate that you got two of the same thing! How does that happen? In the past, when I've tried to send something someone already has, it tells me "This person already owns this item." Or something like that. :confused: Well, at least you have a pair of pants to go with them! :grin:
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    @ajaxpost I can't stop giggling. Thanks for posting that excerpt. I now have new items on my amazon wishlist for hubby to peek at. :)
  • Options
    trithonetrithone Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited May 2015

I'm from Virginia - from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, also part of the Appalachians,

I went to school in Radford. :) I miss the Blue Ridge mountains almost as much as Montana. Last year when we were driving back from our Montana trip we hit the border of West VA and VA just at the right time to see the most beautiful fog clouds settled in those mountains. Looked like a fairy tale forest. I had to break out the Enya music. :)

Now I live in Hampton Roads. Ugg...too many people and way too much water. I never have been a beach girl. (No offense to those of you who love the beach...I just prefer mountainous, rocky lakesides.)

Edit: Not sure how I totally quoted the wrong lines...but I did.

a.k.a. Samantha (though Sam is just fine, too. Also, Simmantha, according to my husband.)

Thanks to a lot of amazing sim friends I have owned the store for a while now. If you'd like to help out a really good friend of mine who just started playing the game, here is his wishlist. Thanks!

• Options
    CogitotoroCogitotoro Posts: 1,401 Member

And thank you for mentioning Bill Bryson, I've certainly heard it said that some of the more 'remote' American settlements stayed true to olde English longer than anywhere else - though I'm not ready to accept than any modern American spelling or pronunciation is more 'genuine' than how we speak it over here ;)

I've only got a couple of Bryson's books but his love of our "Small Island" is wonderful; he really seems to understand how our minds work and cherishes the quaint weirdness :)

I took "Notes From a Small Island" with me on holiday many years ago ... it was quite embarrassing to read in a public place; the number of times I was reduced to snorting laughter! :o

If I may quote a particular favourite passage:
    Why ... do [women] find it so unsettling if you spend more than four minutes a day on the toilet? ... A woman of my close acquaintance and I regularly have surreal conversations that run something like this:
    "What are you doing in there?" (This said in an edgy tone.)
    "I'm descaling the kettle. What do you think I'm doing in here?"
    "You've been in there half an hour. Are you reading?"
    "No."
    "You're reading, aren't you? I can hear the pages."
    "Honestly, I'm not." That is to say, I was reading until a minute ago but now, of course, I'm talking to you, dear.
    "Have you covered up the keyhole? I can't see anything."
    "Please tell me that you're not down on your hands and knees trying to look through the keyhole at your husband having a bowel movement in his own bathroom. Please."
    "You come out of there now. You've been in there for nearly three-quarters of an hour just reading."
    As she retreats, you sit there thinking, did all that really just happen or have I wandered into a Dada exhibition? And then, shaking your head, you return to your magazine.

I am a humongous Bill Bryson fan. He's written great books on everything from travel to Shakespeare to science to the English language. Here's a passage from his book The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, about his childhood, that had me in tears of laughter:

"Making models was reputed to be hugely enjoyable... But when you got the kit home and opened the box the contents turned out to be of a uniform leaden gray or olive green, consisting of perhaps sixty thousand tiny parts, some no larger than a proton, all attached in some organic, inseparable way to plastic stalks like swizzle sticks. The tubes of glue by contrast were the size of large pastry tubes. No matter how gently you depressed them they would blurp out a pint or so of a clear viscous goo whose one instinct was to attach itself to some foreign object—a human finger, the living-room drapes, the fur of a passing animal—and become an infinitely long string. Any attempt to break the string resulted in the creation of more strings. Within moments you would be attached to hundreds of sagging strands, all connected to something that had nothing to do with model airplanes or World War II. The only thing the glue wouldn’t stick to, interestingly, was a piece of plastic model; then it just became a slippery lubricant that allowed any two pieces of model to glide endlessly over each other, never drying. The upshot was that after about forty minutes of intensive but troubled endeavor you and your immediate surroundings were covered in a glistening spiderweb of glue at the heart of which was a gray fuselage with one wing on upside down and a pilot accidentally but irremediably attached by his flying cap to the cockpit ceiling. Happily by this point you were so high on the glue that you didn’t give a [plum] about the pilot, the model, or anything else."
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • Options
    Thank you, @pangolin22, for the hope chest. One step closer to that Monarch Suite now!! :)
  • Options
    Ack! Aurora Skies Gold just came up on MMAO. It's only 13% off though. It'll come up at a better deal if I'm patient, won't it?
  • Options
    gnlovewgnlovew Posts: 900 Member
    Thank you @pangolin22 for the Mother Russia outfit! It's too cute :grin:

@Cogitotoro, that is some funny stuff!!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    TeegersTeegers Posts: 816 Member
    @gnlove I hope you are having fun!!
    @Nevills and @gnlovew thank you for the gifts but you both sent Le Cirque Nouveau- Petite Auguste Top

This happened to me too, and I thought I got 2 of the same thing, but it's not - it's like the Homecoming set, one is for children and the other for adults. :)
    Hi, I'm Te-ge (pronounced TG)
    Origin ID: Teegers1
    Steam: Teegers
  • Options
    TeegersTeegers Posts: 816 Member
    edited May 2015

I am a humongous Bill Bryson fan. He's written great books on everything from travel to Shakespeare to science to the English language. Here's a passage from his book The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, about his childhood, that had me in tears of laughter:

"Making models was reputed to be hugely enjoyable... But when you got the kit home and opened the box the contents turned out to be of a uniform leaden gray or olive green, consisting of perhaps sixty thousand tiny parts, some no larger than a proton, all attached in some organic, inseparable way to plastic stalks like swizzle sticks. The tubes of glue by contrast were the size of large pastry tubes. No matter how gently you depressed them they would blurp out a pint or so of a clear viscous goo whose one instinct was to attach itself to some foreign object—a human finger, the living-room drapes, the fur of a passing animal—and become an infinitely long string. Any attempt to break the string resulted in the creation of more strings. Within moments you would be attached to hundreds of sagging strands, all connected to something that had nothing to do with model airplanes or World War II. The only thing the glue wouldn’t stick to, interestingly, was a piece of plastic model; then it just became a slippery lubricant that allowed any two pieces of model to glide endlessly over each other, never drying. The upshot was that after about forty minutes of intensive but troubled endeavor you and your immediate surroundings were covered in a glistening spiderweb of glue at the heart of which was a gray fuselage with one wing on upside down and a pilot accidentally but irremediably attached by his flying cap to the cockpit ceiling. Happily by this point you were so high on the glue that you didn’t give a [plum] about the pilot, the model, or anything else."

What he doesn't mention (here at least, I'm definitely going to have to look up his books now)...anyway, what he doesn't mention is that inevitably, when you finally do get a piece in the right place, completely covered with glue, of course, the glue that stuck to your fingers and to the pilot's head seems to dissolve the plastic and by the time you pull your fingers away, the pilot looks like nothing more than a dark gray blob sitting on top of another blob that faintly resembles a seat. Even worse was that the little prongs that fit into the matching holes were the first things to dissolve, so one touch would knock the entire thing apart because it quite seriously was hanging together by a thread. :)
    Hi, I'm Te-ge (pronounced TG)
    Origin ID: Teegers1
    Steam: Teegers
  • Options
    rionismynamerionismyname Posts: 1,154 Member
    edited May 2015
    @Teegers thanks for clearing that up I did look at the set again and I think one is for boys and one for girls
    edited to add
    I got the green button for bohimian garden whoop whoop!!
    I'm a lover not a fighter. I'm a reader not a writer sorry for bad penmanship
    Hug hug huggly hugs
    Rion
    div.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top