Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HELP! COLOR REPLACEMENT ON COLOR MAGIC DOESN'T WORK!

So I've installed Color Magic tool today and i looks awesome. I picked up some outfit, changed the color and put it in Mods folder. But When I opened the game the color of that outfit was the same as before and it didn't change at all. What should I do to fix it? Please help.

Comments

• MaclimesMaclimes Posts: 513 Member
    Click on the item in CAS, and check all of the color options. Sometimes, the little tiny thumbnail (called a "swatch") doesn't match up with what you created perfectly.
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    Maclimes wrote: »
    Click on the item in CAS, and check all of the color options. Sometimes, the little tiny thumbnail (called a "swatch") doesn't match up with what you created perfectly.

That's basically right... when you make a recolor, you are recoloring one of the colors of the outfit. All the different colors are separate objects, as far as the game is concerned. And swatches are not automatically generated, so if you haven't changed the swatch in CM, the swatch for your recolor will be the same as the object you started with.

If that doesn't solve your problem, we need more detail. Did you do a default replacement or not? Did you use a unique ID for the name of your output package in CM? Let us know precisely what steps you followed.
  • savkethekingsavketheking Posts: 184 Member

I did and the swatch i changed was not changed
    Some other possibilities:

1) You had the package open in S4PE and didn't close it before loading the demo. That will prevent the package from loading.

2) You were working on the package in a different folder and forgot to move it to Mods. That is probably the source of 80% of my mods not showing up ;)

That's basically right... when you make a recolor, you are recoloring one of the colors of the outfit. All the different colors are separate objects, as far as the game is concerned. And swatches are not automatically generated, so if you haven't changed the swatch in CM, the swatch for your recolor will be the same as the object you started with.

If that doesn't solve your problem, we need more detail. Did you do a default replacement or not? Did you use a unique ID for the name of your output package in CM? Let us know precisely what steps you followed.

I used Color Magic to change the color of a chothing from purple to yellow item as a defalut color replacement, not new swatch. After I did that, I have put package file in the Mods folder. I started the game, the swatch changed the color to yellow, but the outfit stayed purple.
    Some other possibilities:

1) You had the package open in S4PE and didn't close it before loading the demo. That will prevent the package from loading.

2) You were working on the package in a different folder and forgot to move it to Mods. That is probably the source of 80% of my mods not showing up ;)

Do I have to use S4PE to make it work, or that is only if you want to add patterns?
  • simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    Uhm, are you just clicking the swatch tab and changing what color it is in there? That doesn't edit the actual image of the item at all. Have you read any of the walkthroughs?
    HSon1Mq.png
    LOL :) OK, it's called Color Magic, but it's not REALLY magic. You have to edit the textures by hand.

Links to basic instructions and more detailed tuts: http://forums.sims4.the-prof.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10
    edited August 2014
    LOL :) OK, it's called Color Magic, but it's not REALLY magic. You have to edit the textures by hand.

Links to basic instructions and more detailed tuts: http://forums.sims4.the-prof.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10

Thanks so much, I am a total noob at this :) I miss CASt at this moment so much :(
    Uhm, are you just clicking the swatch tab and changing what color it is in there? That doesn't edit the actual image of the item at all. Have you read any of the walkthroughs?

NOPE :P I just downloaded Color Magic thought it would do all the magic, but, I just found out that I have to do the hard work. I want cast :/
  • pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    edited August 2014
    Looks like @granthes is gonna have to put up a disclaimer .. "Contains 0% Actual Wizardry"

( .. and every time I see this thread I now read "HELP! MAGIC DOESN'T WORK!" )
    Post edited by pbox on
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
    edited August 2014
    NOPE :P I just downloaded Color Magic thought it would do all the magic, but, I just found out that I have to do the hard work. I want cast :/

You could look at a tool by Zerbu called Caster, but... that isn't magic either ;) It just helps with texture editing if you want a tiled pattern. You still need the other tools to get the result in the game.

What you're thinking of isn't impossible, btw. The tools we have are still evolving ;) Give em time!

Thank you so much, I just made my first recolor and it works :D
  • MaclimesMaclimes Posts: 513 Member
    In that case, welcome to the family, @savketheking!