Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seriously Struggling With Custom Content

Everything is in the right place and where it should be, so I don't know why I'm still having problems with the content showing up. Please help me!

Comments

• simmersimsimmersimsimmersimsimmersim Posts: 28 Member
    I would love to help. Can you be more specific? Is everything just not showing up or is your game crashing? Where have you installed the .package files?
  • ExaeliaExaelia Posts: 41 Member
    > @simmersimsimmersim said:
    > I would love to help. Can you be more specific? Is everything just not showing up or is your game crashing? Where have you installed the .package files?

Thank you so much in advance, haha. The .package files are located in C:\Users\Owner\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo\Mods and the game isn't crashing, just nothing shows up.
  • MyreMylarMyreMylar Posts: 80 Member
    edited August 2014
    Some mods are hard to locate in the CAS if you don't know exactly where they are supposed to be already. Which mod in particular aren't you finding?
    > @MyreMylar said:
    > Some mods are hard to locate in the CAS if you don't know exactly where they are supposed to be already. Which mod in particular aren't you finding?

I downloaded stockings, a sweater, a skirt, and a dress. None of them are there.
    Ok, a few things:

- Do you know about clearing the 'athletic/formal/party/sleep' filter in the CAS Demo? You can actually wear any of the items on any of the types of outfits but unless you clear that filter box each time you switch outfit type you'll only see a subset of the available clothing.
    - Do you know that currently all mods will appear as either replacements for Maxis clothing items or as 'additional colours' for the current clothing items. Even if the mod you downloaded looks to be more than just a different colour it will still likely be implemented that way. A few modders have made custom 'swatch' icons for their recolours but not that many.
    - Did you know that you have to delete 'localthumbcache.package' in the 'Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo' folder to make the 'preview' thumbnail images refresh if you have downloaded mods that replace existing maxis items?

If you are up to date on all that and still can't find them you might need to link us to the specific items you can't see.
    > @MyreMylar said:
    > Ok, a few things:
    >
    > - Do you know about clearing the 'athletic/formal/party/sleep' filter in the CAS Demo? You can actually wear any of the items on any of the types of outfits but unless you clear that filter box each time you switch outfit type you'll only see a subset of the available clothing.
    > - Do you know that currently all mods will appear as either replacements for Maxis clothing items or as 'additional colours' for the current clothing items. Even if the mod you downloaded looks to be more than just a different colour it will still likely be implemented that way. A few modders have made custom 'swatch' icons for their recolours but not that many.
    > - Did you know that you have to delete 'localthumbcache.package' in the 'Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo' folder to make the 'preview' thumbnail images refresh if you have downloaded mods that replace existing maxis items?
    >
    > If you are up to date on all that and still can't find them you might need to link us to the specific items you can't see.

Okay, I'll just go down the list xD

- I do know about clearing the filters.
    - I did know that some mods appear as either replacements or recolors, but I didn't know that ALL of them appeared as such.
    - I have no idea what you just said. xD
    Ok, well try navigating to your \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo folder and delete the file 'localthumbcache.package' don't worry about deleting it, the game will re-generate it each time you run the demo if it doesn't find it.

With the preview thumbnails (the things that show up when are looking at the clothes in the menu) working it should be easier to find any CC that you have installed.
  • simmersimsimmersimsimmersimsimmersim Posts: 28 Member
    @MyreMylar good idea. @Exaelia I would also suggest re-downloading the files and make sure you are extracting them correctly (if they are compressed).
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited August 2014
    Exaelia wrote: »
    - I did know that some mods appear as either replacements or recolors, but I didn't know that ALL of them appeared as such.

In TS4, every recolor (swatch) of an item is essentially a separate item, as far as the game is concerned. So what people are modding is not top-level items (the thumbnails), but the sub-items or colors of those items (the swatches).

You can even have different "recolors", grouped under the same thumbnail, that use different meshes (i.e. have a different shape). All of the recolor CC is either replacing an existing color swatch, or adding a new one.

There may be CC that adds a new thumbnail (i.e. a brand new item), but if so I haven't seen it yet.

So yeah... look among the swatches under the thumbnails for your CC. Helpful CC creators should tell you where to look.
  • dltn43dltn43 Posts: 80 Member
    Hi. Maybe someone can help me out here. 1st off......I do have both updated versions of Color Magic and S4PE. Having said that, I have made 4 different recolors of different items since the updates and now when I load the game/demo it crashes again as it has in the past. Also the color swatches do not represent the colors that were created and added to the mods folder, but are actually the same color swatch that was used in CM. Hope that makes sense and someone can/will help.
    [img][/img]8bh13c873lt4tk24g.jpg
    Oops. Now when I create a new non-default recolor the game/demo crashes as it did when I 1st started recoloring.
    edited August 2014
    dltn43 wrote: »
    Hi. Maybe someone can help me out here. 1st off......I do have both updated versions of Color Magic and S4PE. Having said that, I have made 4 different recolors of different items since the updates and now when I load the game/demo it crashes again as it has in the past. Also the color swatches do not represent the colors that were created and added to the mods folder, but are actually the same color swatch that was used in CM. Hope that makes sense and someone can/will help.

I would suggest posting a new thread, instead of in this one, which is about installing CC, not creating it :)

I can tell you that unfortunately the swatch crash bug is still around... you may have to apply the fix here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/771325/color-magic-bugfix/p1

As for the issue with the swatch, the solution for that is to delete your thumbnail cache, localthumbcache.package in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo . If you continue to have issues, a new thread will probably get better results, or you can post in the Color Magic forums here: http://forums.sims4.the-prof.net/viewforum.php?f=10
    dltn43 wrote: »

I would suggest posting a new thread, instead of in this one, which is about installing CC, not creating it :)

I can tell you that unfortunately the swatch crash bug is still around... you may have to apply the fix here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/771325/color-magic-bugfix/p1

As for the issue with the swatch, the solution for that is to delete your thumbnail cache, localthumbcache.package in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo . If you continue to have issues, a new thread will probably get better results, or you can post in the Color Magic forums here: http://forums.sims4.the-prof.net/viewforum.php?f=10

Thanks. I'll start a new thread after trying again. :)
    > @MyreMylar said:
    > Ok, well try navigating to your \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo folder and delete the file 'localthumbcache.package' don't worry about deleting it, the game will re-generate it each time you run the demo if it doesn't find it.
    >
    > With the preview thumbnails (the things that show up when are looking at the clothes in the menu) working it should be easier to find any CC that you have installed.

Oh yeah that's not a thing, all I have in the folder besides the content I downloaded is something called Resource.cfg

And @simmersimsimmersimsimmersimsimmersim I installed them correctly, I made sure of it many times.
  • CayziCayzi Posts: 402 Member
    This happened to me. The issue for me was I had the CC in a folder in a folder and in multiple other folders. Which you can't do.
    The .package files has to be right in the mods folder with the resource file OR in ONE layer of folder. You can't put a folder in a folder. Maybe that's you're issue too? Sorry if it's not :)
    LE45tmE.png
    Oh yeah that's not a thing, all I have in the folder besides the content I downloaded is something called Resource.cfg

From what you said I suspect you are looking in:

\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo\Mods\

rather than:

\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo\

the Mods directory is where your downloaded .package files go but the thumbnail package 'localthumbcache.package' is in the demo root directory.
    CarlyfinnP wrote: »
    The .package files has to be right in the mods folder with the resource file OR in ONE layer of folder. You can't put a folder in a folder. Maybe that's you're issue too? Sorry if it's not :)

Actually, you CAN have subfolders, as many layers as you like, if you edit your resource.cfg correctly :)

Resource.cfg starts with this:
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package

You can just add the line:
    PackedFile *\*\*.package

And keep adding more lines with more asterisks and backslashes on that pattern, as many levels deep as you want (with each backslash representing one folder level below Mods).

• Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    I can see one problem. If the mod is treated as a recolor of an existing clothing style even though it is a completely clothing style, it will be very difficult, if not imposible to find. The color swatches are very small.

The modders are going to have to have separate clothing styles show up as their own thumbnail and not as swatches of existing styles. If they don't the user will never find them.
  • MaclimesMaclimes Posts: 513 Member
    edited August 2014
    That's why I clone my stuff. Although I will use the style thing if it's literally appropriate, like if I've made two styles of the same costume. But then it's just a swatch on my own stuff anyway.

I think any item that is custom content, or has at least one style of custom content, should have a little icon in the corner to tell you so.
    edited August 2014
    Bronwin2 wrote: »
    The modders are going to have to have separate clothing styles show up as their own thumbnail and not as swatches of existing styles. If they don't the user will never find them.

Oh definitely. As MacLimes said, you can do that now using the cloner. That wasn't out yet when I made my post above about recolors ;)
  • Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    edited August 2014
    CarlyfinnP wrote: »
    This happened to me. The issue for me was I had the CC in a folder in a folder and in multiple other folders. Which you can't do.

You can have multiple folders by extending your configuration file I have arranged for 6 folders deep and all cc shows up.
    > @MyreMylar said:
    > Exaelia wrote: »
    >
    > Oh yeah that's not a thing, all I have in the folder besides the content I downloaded is something called Resource.cfg
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > From what you said I suspect you are looking in:
    >
    > \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo\Mods\
    >
    > rather than:
    >
    > \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 Create A Sim Demo\
    >
    > the Mods directory is where your downloaded .package files go but the thumbnail package 'localthumbcache.package' is in the demo root directory.
    Oh so I just move it into the mods folder?
    Oh so I just move it into the mods folder?

Assuming you mean the localthumbscache.package, no, you just delete it. The game will regenerate it when you next run the CAS Demo and this time it will include any custom content recolours you grabbed so it becomes easier to find them.