Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Um, so what exactly is supposed to happen when a sim graduates university?

slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
edited September 2022 in The Sims 3 General Discussion
My sim just got all 48 credits towards her fine arts degree, so technically, she should have graduated. She went to the graduation ceremony on campus, but nothing happened. She spun into her graduation robes, entered the building then came right back out. The progress bar for the event did not move, and just disappeared once she came out.

That being said, she never got her diploma or her extra trait. No moodlet or memory about her 'graduating'. In her degree history, the fine arts box is in gold and is showing the credits bar as being full, but that's really the only indication that she finished at all.

I'm assuming this is all a glitch, but I'm just wondering, what is normally supposed to happen when a sim graduates university?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• FroggyKarenFroggyKaren Posts: 398 Member
    All of the things you mentioned that are not happening did happen for my sim when she got the same degree. She went to the ceremony, got the recent grad moodlet, can brag to everyone she meets about her degree, started her music career at level 4, oh yeah, and got an extra trait for graduating.
  • slynnskislynnski Posts: 2,316 Member
    Blehhhh, that stinks. I'm guessing it's because the graduation ceremony process glitches out. There was a huge cluster beep of sims standing outside of the building trying to get in, so I'm assuming that's a major reason why. :(

Thanks for confirming my fears! At least I won't be sitting around wondering now, and hopefully everything will go fine the next time I send a sim to university.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I always save the morning before the ceremony, and send the sim about a hour before (around noon), turn off free will, and make them stand right next to the other doors (not the one other sims use). The worst thing that happens for me is that one might not spin into robes but the sim will still attend, get the trait and diploma.
    Thank you for the tip, @TreyNutz! I'll try all of that next time. :)
  • Melmel2362Melmel2362 Posts: 278 Member
    If you have NRaas master controlled you can add the trait that the game cheated you out of. Hopefully you still get the career boosts!
    @Melmel2362, thankfully I was planning to just have her register at city hall as a self-employed painter. I don't know if degrees help with self-employed careers, but either way it's all good because her painting skill is already maxed out, lol.
  • Melmel2362Melmel2362 Posts: 278 Member
    slynnski wrote: »
    @Melmel2362, thankfully I was planning to just have her register at city hall as a self-employed painter. I don't know if degrees help with self-employed careers, but either way it's all good because her painting skill is already maxed out, lol.

Okay that's good at least! Now all you need is the trait which you can get with Master Controller, so hopefully that will be good enough for this glitch and the person's above suggestion can help in the future!
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member

They do not. The NRaas Career mod with one of the modules (Academic?) does give a boost to initial starting levels for self-employed careers (depending on the major of course). But without mods there is no benefit to self-employed careers from university degrees.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The glitch mentioned here happens to my graduating sims around half of the time. Instead of replaying the ceremony, I wait until they get back home and use NRaas DebugEnabler to grant them the degree I think they should have received and at the grade level I think they earned. Doing that generates a diploma and opens up the social interactions that grads get, the extra trait, and career benefits just as well as the ceremony does.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AlmightyBlahAlmightyBlah Posts: 137 Member
    I'm guessing it's because the graduation ceremony process glitches out. There was a huge cluster beep of sims standing outside of the building trying to get in, so I'm assuming that's a major reason why. :(
    That's exactly why it happens. Too many sims trying to enter the same building all at once glitches the ceremony if your sim is made to "wait in line" to get in.

I've had this problem, too - and sadly the only "solution" is the work-around already mentioned. Save that morning and arrive before you get the notification saying it's graduation time - then you wait, and try and be the first one in the door when you do (or at least one of the first ones =P). Beat the crowd and it should work just fine (it has for me ever since I started doing this). It's also advised you don't invite family/friends to the ceremony - since that's just adds more people angrily tapping their foot waiting to enter.

burns.jpg
    (had to XD)
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    In addition to most of the steps outlined above by others I have a few extra/different steps I use.

Besides arriving early on graduation day once the crowd starts to appear I pause the game and very carefully use the resetsim code on the npc's to thin out the crowd {Do Not reset your sim}. This works nicely for me as I'm able to invite family & friends and my sim will still graduate with the extra trait.

Lastly I don't let my sim hang out and chat after I 1- send them straight back to the home lot since they have to be there to leave for home, 2- save right after they get their diploma and trait just in case of glitches or crashes after graduation.
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    Thanks for all the input and feedback, guys. I don't play with mods, although I used to use a bunch by NRAAS/twallan.

Since she will be self-employed, the degree wouldn't have had an effect anyways. And as for the extra trait, my sim already got one for getting to the top of the jock group so I'm not too bummed about that.

I will just make sure, in the future, to save beforehand and make my sims arrive super early lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top