Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recolor Questions

1. We do not have a way to edit bump maps (normal maps) yet, right?
2. We do not have a way to reassign categories yet (change day wear --> athletic wear), correct?
3. When doing multiple recolors of the same article of clothing, do I have to use a different starter swatch each time? For example, if I recolor gray pajamas to orange, I can't include another recolor of gray pajamas to blue? I have to pick a second starter item like red pajamas? When I try multiple recolors of one swatch I'm getting different swatches, but all the same color showing up for the item, or the demo crashes.

Comments

• KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    greenXen wrote: »
    1. We do not have a way to edit bump maps (normal maps) yet, right?
    2. We do not have a way to reassign categories yet (change day wear --> athletic wear), correct?
    3. When doing multiple recolors of the same article of clothing, do I have to use a different starter swatch each time? For example, if I recolor gray pajamas to orange, I can't include another recolor of gray pajamas to blue? I have to pick a second starter item like red pajamas? When I try multiple recolors of one swatch I'm getting different swatches, but all the same color showing up for the item, or the demo crashes.
    1. Not yet.
    2. All clothes can be used for every category. While it might be handy for some CC (that I don't think we are able to altar yet since we don't have the script coding yet) it isn't very necessary since you can turn the filter off easily.
    3. 3. I always use the same swatch so all of my clothes are next to each other. You need to ensure there is a unique id for each item that you create by exporting the swatch for each item you intend to recolor. It's a hit and miss at the moment for the crashes, but attempting the fix and work arounds, or even a different swatch, usually works.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Hmm. I'm having trouble then.

I tried recoloring a pair of men's pajamas, but they don't appear under athletic. Or am I misunderstanding what is meant by clothes can be used for every category?

I'm having real trouble with recoloring from the same base clothes. I run the new item from the start using Color Magic then S4Pe to export the dds file, edit it, then replace the file in the package. My results vary each time even when working with exactly the same files.

I tried again starting from scratch. I deleted all the mods I had created previously, and did a run through again following the directions on Platinum Simmers. What I wind up with is swatches and thumbnails for three different recolors (orange, light blue, gray), but all of the pants show light blue. When I place any one of the packages in the Mods folder separately, it works fine, i.e. the orange pants are orange, the blue pants are blue, and the gray are gray. But, putting any combination of the mods in the folder results in one color overriding the others. I'm having trouble figuring this out.

Picture below. Notice I have the orange recolor selected, and the swatch and thumbnail are correct, but the actual recolor stays blue.

2yumwqp.jpg

• Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think you're having the same issue as @xox_sugarlips_xox, here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/773169/quick-question#latest

Basically, it's a naming issue: you must make a new package with CM for every recolor using a unique item name each time, or else the IIDs will be the same and only one will be loaded.

This weekend's CM update may allow category setting ;) We'll see!
    edited August 2014
    I do start with Color Magic every time and create new names. My files are called:

greenXen_ymbottom_Sweatpants_Sidefly_Orange_Maroon
    greenXen_ymbottom_Sweatpants_Sidefly_Lt_Blue
    greenXen_ymbottom_Sweatpants_Sidefly_Lt_Gray

I saw your post earlier and thought perhaps the program was only using the first few characters of the name, so I tried going into Color Magic and creating new package files with names like NewName_Test and Test_ymbottom_Sweatpants_Gray and it still didn't work. Instead, it produced a crash or I had the same results with the files being overridden.

Good news about the possible update to the ability to set categories though. It's pretty sweet how fast the tools are coming out for a game that hasn't even been released yet.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    Hmm... and you have deleted your thumbnail cache? Not just a thumbnail issue?
    The thumbnails are working, I actually get the orange pants thumbnail for the orange pants and the blue thumbnail for the blue pants, but I tried deleting the localthumnailcache package file anyway, and I still have the same issue.

I have only tried this with a couple of different pairs and styles of men's pants. Maybe I will try with some other items and see if I get the same results.
    I tried it with the female clothes, and I get the same thing.
    I just tried the latest version of Color Magic and it worked the way it's supposed to. So, it might not actually have been user error...for once. :)
  • kiwisims4kiwisims4 Posts: 36 Member
    ive actually been getting this aswell . its pretty frustrating
    edited August 2014
    Did you guys try the new version of Color Magic? http://sims4.the-prof.net/?page_id=404

Edit: It also lets you change clothing categories.
  • CaecusLacrimaCaecusLacrima Posts: 803 Member
    I managed to make a dress non-default, but then any others I made after now crash the demo. This is so annoying.
    So far, the crashing thing has been hit or miss for me. Platinum Simmers reports that making the items a default replacement is a workaround for now. I have found that some items I had to redo 2 or 3 times before they would work. I'm not sure why that is.