Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Genetics in TS4

Do you suppose that if I created a YA Sim in CAS, then created his parents with Genetics, deleted the original YA Sim and then de-aged the parents to YA, that they would get pregnant with and have the Sim that I originally created in CAS?
Origin ID: ebuchala
I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper

Comments

• simsluvr90simsluvr90 Posts: 3,030 Member
    Mind-Blown-Kramer.gif
  • Molie86Molie86 Posts: 651 Member
    No, because the way it works the parents would be made in the image of the sim with a few differences so they would look fairly alike.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Molie86 wrote: »
    No, because the way it works the parents would be made in the image of the sim with a few differences so they would look fairly alike.

So, you're saying the parents would look like siblings rather than two different parents? But why wouldn't that end up giving me someone that was extremely similar to my original Sim? Or am I misunderstanding you?
  • asterravosasterravos Posts: 3,415 Member
    I don't think I'm completely following what you're saying, sorry! :P I saw this thread earlier and thought it might be related to what you're asking though: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/772342/problem-creating-parents-using-genetics#latest
    asterravos wrote: »
    I don't think I'm completely following what you're saying, sorry! :P I saw this thread earlier and thought it might be related to what you're asking though: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/772342/problem-creating-parents-using-genetics#latest
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if I was being clear or not. I read that thread previously but admit that I didn't follow the explanations well. It seems to me a child has some features from his father and some from his mother and some that are, in a sense his own. So I didn't understand why there would be an issue creating both a mother and father from the child. Perhaps there will be an option to create both parents at once so you don't get the sibling issue that seems to be a possibility. Maybe when I see it in action I'll understand better. Thanks for the link, though. :)
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    ebuchala wrote: »

So, you're saying the parents would look like siblings rather than two different parents? But why wouldn't that end up giving me someone that was extremely similar to my original Sim? Or am I misunderstanding you?
    I think that's how it would work.
    AstroX1424 wrote: »

Ok. I'll have to play with the genetics thing, then to see if how the parents actually look, I guess. I mean there's that whole joke about married couples starting to look alike over time but that wouldn't be very helpful for making them young again to have a kid, LOL.
  • asterravosasterravos Posts: 3,415 Member
    asterravos wrote: »
    Yeah, I wasn't sure if I was being clear or not. I read that thread previously but admit that I didn't follow the explanations well. It seems to me a child has some features from his father and some from his mother and some that are, in a sense his own. So I didn't understand why there would be an issue creating both a mother and father from the child. Perhaps there will be an option to create both parents at once so you don't get the sibling issue that seems to be a possibility. Maybe when I see it in action I'll understand better. Thanks for the link, though. :)

Okay, I think I understand a little better what you're getting at now but it's definitely not something I can answer. I haven't seen anything about genetics in creator's camp stuff which I've been focusing on. I did see the one genetics video for IGN (? - I don't remember exactly) but it seemed to just touch the surface on the various options.
    I'm excited to try out the new genetics features :) Hope someone else is able to help you out!
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member

Ok. I'll have to play with the genetics thing, then to see if how the parents actually look, I guess. I mean there's that whole joke about married couples starting to look alike over time but that wouldn't be very helpful for making them young again to have a kid, LOL.

Haha, but yeah you'll have to play with the features or else they'll look like siblings.

Haha, but yeah you'll have to play with the features or else they'll look like siblings.

Yeah, I was thinking that but then I'm not sure if it would actually mess up the possibility of getting my original Sim back in the game (which, admittedly seems like a pretty slim possibility anyway). I guess, if all else fails, I can always create a YA Sim, create his parents, and then de-age everyone until my YA is a child. Not quite what I was thinking of but it would work alright, as well. Eh, just something I was contemplating when considering different games I wanted to play.

Thanks for responding. :)
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    Do you suppose that if I created a YA Sim in CAS, then created his parents with Genetics, deleted the original YA Sim and then de-aged the parents to YA, that they would get pregnant with and have the Sim that I originally created in CAS?
    It wouldn't be any different than Sims 3 CAS where you create a mother and father and keep hitting the button to generate their offspring. I've done that many, many times and have never seen the same Sim twice.

Origin ID: nik24x7
  • TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    It seems to pick a certain amount of features each time they get randomized that are either the exact same or close. Sometimes it's a nose, or the eyes or the chin but like real people there will be a feature (or two) that they share in common. I would venture to guess that it could be possible, but more likely it will be a feature here and there that is familiar.
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be any different than Sims 3 CAS where you create a mother and father and keep hitting the button to generate their offspring. I've done that many, many times and have never seen the same Sim twice.

So, that's a big, fat no, isn't it? :( XD
    It seems to pick a certain amount of features each time they get randomized that are either the exact same or close. Sometimes it's a nose, or the eyes or the chin but like real people there will be a feature (or two) that they share in common. I would venture to guess that it could be possible, but more likely it will be a feature here and there that is familiar.

This what I was thinking. Which means, as Nik pointed out, it's unlikely I would get exactly the same sim. Kind of a bummer but not unsurprising. It seemed like my idea might be a bit too detailed to work in a video game like I was thinking. I mean, that would be some pretty advanced genetics, I suppose.
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think you'd get better results if you started with one Sim, created two twins with one male and one female. Let the "twins" be the father and mother. Any offspring they have together should in theory be closer to the original Sim. But all this is speculation. But I would think the Create Brother or Create Sister actions would involve an invisible, behind-the-scenes second parent used to create the sibling. That could be a problem.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    I think you'd get better results if you started with one Sim, created two twins with one male and one female. Let the "twins" be the father and mother. Any offspring they have together should in theory be closer to the original Sim. But all this is speculation. But I would think the Create Brother or Create Sister actions would involve an invisible, behind-the-scenes second parent used to create the sibling. That could be a problem.

stupid.gif

See, you posted in the other genetics thread that Zerbu created about how you do something (I didn't actually follow what it was you were doing) and it confused me there, too.

So, why would they have to be twins for it to work? If I'm understanding correctly, I would create a Sim then create a male twin of the Sim and a female twin of the original Sim, change all of their relationships so they aren't related any more, delete the original Sim, make the two "twins" married and have them get pregnant. Is that what you're saying? If so, why would that work better than just creating parents? Is it because the twin function will make them look more like the original Sim so when they have an offspring, the baby is more likely going to look like the original?

I'm beginning to think it's not worth it. XD Though I do appreciate everyone giving input on the idea.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    I don't think this would work. I think when the parents had a child, the genetics would still be picked from a gene pool. You could wind up with the same kid by chance, but you could also end up with any of the other kids they could possibly make.

I think I've tried this before in a prior game because I didn't like the way the kids were coming out, but it didn't work.
    greenXen wrote: »
    I don't think this would work. I think when the parents had a child, the genetics would still be picked from a gene pool. You could wind up with the same kid by chance, but you could also end up with any of the other kids they could possibly make.

I think I've tried this before in a prior game because I didn't like the way the kids were coming out, but it didn't work.

Yeah, I'm kind of realizing that I was expecting a bit too much from the "new" genetics. XD