Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does TS4 require full-time internet ?

I mean, does the actual game play require internet ? Because if it does, I have a serious problem here.

When there's no electricity, there's no internet. So I really need to know.

tumblr_n39r1zntn71ss5fz5o1_500.gif
BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Nope, you'll just be required to have an internet connection to activate the game with Origin before playing. This is a one time thing, and you'll never have to deal with it again after it.

http://www.thesims.com/faq
    An internet connection is required to activate the game for the first time. However after that, a persistent online connection is not required to play The Sims 4.
  • justin5812justin5812 Posts: 632 Member
    No. All you have to do is activate your game with Origin. That's it.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited August 2014
    As others have stated activation requires internet connection, but also the gallery and when patches are released

But also note you will need to select offline option at origin client while connected to Internet

Until you select offline you will need to be connected
  • xHareHarexxHareHarex Posts: 536 Member
    With the recent power outages... Oh god...

Steve-Carell-as-Michael-Scott-from-The-Office-I-am-dead-inside-GIF.gif
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • balthasaur28000balthasaur28000 Posts: 175 Member
    xHareHarex wrote: »

What recent power outages?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, not unless you intend to go into the gallery a lot to add your Sims to the game at anytime or to upload them. So, you could activate the game and then get rid of your ISP if you wanted if you never intend to use the Gallery for anything or get your Achievement rewards.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • justin5812justin5812 Posts: 632 Member

It takes literally a few seconds to get on origin to activate it then it's done. You don't have to be online ever again.

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    justin5812 wrote: »

It takes literally a few seconds to get on origin to activate it then it's done. You don't have to be online ever again.

Just so it's not confusing you need to select offline mode as well before disconnecting.
  • balthasaur28000balthasaur28000 Posts: 175 Member

thats what they say, but we all know we'll have to have origin running as well. which means internet required untill we turn on offline mode. but you have to be online to put it in offline mode.
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    As others have stated activation requires internet connection, but also the gallery and when patches are released

But also note you will need to select offline option at origin client while connected to Internet

Until you select offline you will need to be connected

Gross_Sobbing.gif

BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png

But patches for the game will come from Origin so you would need to keep an internet connection for that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Some people from the outside are trying to hack into my building's internet to get free wi-fi, so the landlady has to cut the building's power sometimes. It gets worse everyday.
    It always happens during this time (school time).

tumblr_lwtnufayOw1r8058ko1_500.gif
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    +50 points for the Andrew Garfield gif <3

Apart from installation and registration, you only need continuous internet access if you need to search the gallery for things or upload as you play (and get notifications for certain things if that is happening).
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock

Some people from the outside are trying to hack into my building's internet to get free wi-fi, so the landlady has to cut the building's power sometimes. It gets worse everyday.

Wow, she needs to set up VPN or something or get better security for your wi fi. She needs an IT person to come out and help with that since she doesn't know what she is doing, because cutting the power isn't the way to protect it.
    edited August 2014
    @Cinebar wrote: »

Wow, she needs to set up VPN or something or get better security for your wi fi. She needs an IT person to come out and help with that since she doesn't know what she is doing, because cutting the power isn't the way to protect it.

It's her internet that is being affected and not mine. But when she turns the power off, all the building's internet dies.

tumblr_n298g8AM3n1sh0yuao1_500.gif
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

It's her internet that is being affected and not mine. But when she turns the power off, all the building's internet dies.

In that case, if your internet connection is separate from hers, have you considered a back-up battery (also called UPS, uninterruptible power supply)? If your cable modem (or whatever your personal internet source is) is plugged into that, the least expensive ones can keep you going for about 15 minutes. It at least gives you a chance to properly shut down whatever you're doing if you think the outage is going to last more than 15 minutes.

MsPhy wrote: »

In that case, if your internet connection is separate from hers, have you considered a back-up battery (also called UPS, uninterruptible power supply)? If your cable modem (or whatever your personal internet source is) is plugged into that, the least expensive ones can keep you going for about 15 minutes. It at least gives you a chance to properly shut down whatever you're doing if you think the outage is going to last more than 15 minutes.

People already complained to her, and it's always for 1 hour or 2. But I seriously don't want that *insert bad word here* to kill my game just because her crappy unprotected internet is being attacked.
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member

People already complained to her, and it's always for 1 hour or 2. But I seriously don't want that *insert bad word here* to kill my game just because her crappy unprotected internet is being attacked.

I understand. But if you owned your own backup battery, the outages would not affect you and you could shut things down properly, thereby preventing your game from getting killed.

I understand. But if you owned your own backup battery, the outages would not affect you and you could shut things down properly, thereby preventing your game from getting killed.

I'll put that in mind when I'll leave to buy the game. :3
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • DuncarinDuncarin Posts: 362 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Nope, you'll just be required to have an internet connection to activate the game with Origin before playing. This is a one time thing, and you'll never have to deal with it again after it.

http://www.thesims.com/faq
    An internet connection is required to activate the game for the first time. However after that, a persistent online connection is not required to play The Sims 4.
    The key word there is "persistent". The game won't require you to be online all the time no but it will require it periodically for sure.

• ABrndNwNrABrndNwNr Posts: 98 Member
    Um...when there's no electricity, there's no computer usage either. So it doesn't matter whether you need internet connection or not. How has no one else caught this...?
  • DuncarinDuncarin Posts: 362 Member
    Laptops.
    edited August 2014
    ABrndNwNr wrote: »
    Um...when there's no electricity, there's no computer usage either. So it doesn't matter whether you need internet connection or not. How has no one else caught this...?

Uuuh... I use a laptop...? This is not the stone age anymore...? :open_mouth: :
    Post edited by xHareHarex on
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • ABrndNwNrABrndNwNr Posts: 98 Member
    BAHAHAHA wow, I...totally wasn't thinking about laptops...wow. My bad. I apologize!
  • thatguyraphaelthatguyraphael Posts: 94 Member
    that is so wrong. i hate to depend of internet when it comes to the sims cuz this is what i do when theres no internet U.U
    "No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you've come from, you can always change, become a better version of yourself" - Madonna