Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

COURT MAFIA (game finished :P)

TurnerTurner Posts: 10,743 Member
edited August 2014 in Off Topic Chat
Welcome to...
courtmafia.jpg

Warning: This is my first time hosting a mafia game, so bear with me. XD

This is also a brand new and untested version of Mafia, and is basically a test-run to see how smoothly it goes. :smiley:
(so enter at your own risk ;) )

Here's how it works:

It will follow the same format of regular mafia, with night and day. Each night, the mafia choose one person to target and kill. But each day will consist of a new "Trial".

ROLES

Everyone is considered a citizen, except one person will be publicly known by everyone as the "Judge". More info on that later.
(judge is selected randomly, and can be Town OR Mafia)

This will be a Day-Start game.

When each new day starts, anyone is allowed to "Accuse" somebody else on the account of murder. They must make an official post saying so, and have an actual accusation of some sort (1-2 sentences).
So, for example, someone could say, "I accuse Turner for the murder of so-and-so, because he is acting nervous and was at the location the murder took place last night. I wish to take him to court".
(The reasoning can be silly or serious.... anything you want)
This post need to be fully bolded to make it official.

You can only make one accusation per day (unless you officially 'CANCEL my previous accusation' to make another), and cannot bring someone to court two days in a row.
"Accusation Time" only lasts for 3 hours at the start of each day.
If more than one person makes an accusation at the start of day, the Judge will choose which case to take. The case they eventually decide to take should be the most prominent. (or whatever is best for their game)
If no one makes an Accusation by the allotted time, there will be no court session that day, and we'll go straight back into nighttime.

Once the Judge accepts a case, the Plaintiff (person accusing) must find an attorney/lawyer to represent them. The Defendant (person accused of the crime) must also find an attorney/lawyer, but to help defend them.
They can choose from whoever is still alive, and they cannot choose the Judge or the same person as the other lawyer. Both the Defendant and Plaintiff must email or PM me their decision. Everyone eligible to be hired may try and persuade either party to hire them.

There will be a time limit, and if I don't receive your decision in time, I will pick for you.

Everyone else will form the jury for that day's court session.

THE CRIMINAL TRIAL

Once the court session begins, the Lawyers on both sides have a chance to give an opening statement, attempting to defend their client. Once they both post their statement, anyone is allowed to talk (Plaintiff, Defendant, both Lawyers, Judge, and most especially- the Jury)

The Jury is allowed to vote 'GUILTY' or 'NOT GUILTY' at any point, and are allowed to 'unvote' as well.
So, in your post, you would say: Vote: GUILTY (must be in bold to be official)

The jury reaches their verdict once a majority find the Defendant guilty or not guilty.

If the Jury’s verdict is guilty, the Defendant is executed (lynched).
- If found Guilty (mafia) on reveal, the Plaintiff is rewarded immunity (cannot be killed) for the next two nights.
- If innocent on reveal, the Plaintiff must face jail for the following night and day, for falsely accusing the Defendant.

If the Jury’s verdict is innocent, the Defendant gets one night immunity, and cannot be accused the following day. Since they are still alive, their role is not revealed.

JAIL
In Jail, you may not accuse, but you can be accused.
You are not apart of the Jury, so you cannot vote or engage in the discussion at hand.
You cannot be hired as a lawyer either.
You have a post restriction: may only post court and jail-related gifs and images.
You may be killed at night.

Lawyers/Attorney
If they help their client win their case (regardless of outcome), they are immune for one night.

The Judge
The Judge is immune from Night Kills, as he/she will be sleeping in their protected home.
The Judge chooses each case that goes into trial for the day.
In the event of a tie or indecision between the jury, the Judge makes the final decision. (court sessions will have a 12-hour time limit, since this is supposed to be a shorter game :b )

The Citizens Unite!
This is when a single player leads a revolt against authority, and brings the Judge to trial. The only way to do this is to rally up citizens still alive and come to a 2/3rds decision to bring the Judge to court. If this person cannot get enough people on board with their plan within the allotted time (~3 hours), their revolt ends and another revolt cannot be started until the next day.

If the person who started the revolt is successful in rallying 2/3rds of the citizens up, a new court session will begin.
(in order to start a revolt, say something along the lines of "I am starting a revolt against the Judge, who I think is guilty for multiple charges of murder"... must be in bold)
Anyone who agrees and wants to join in on the revolt must say: "Vote: REVOLT". [you can unvote at any time]

At this point, the Judge hires an attorney to represent them in the court of law.

Person who led the revolt is the Plaintiff, who also hires an attorney.

-->If Judge is found innocent by the Jury, Plaintiff is sentenced to death.

-->If Judge is found guilty by the Jury, Plaintiff replaces the deceased Judge. (regardless of Judge's alignment)

(Note: Someone cannot accuse or be accused in a trial two days in a row, unless there are no other options)

Whew! Good job to anyone who was brave enough to read all of that. If something didn't make sense, let me know. This is definitely NOT a perfect game yet, I literally thought of it a few hours ago, so if you can think of any adjustments, please tell me. :)

I'm sure there will be a lot of kinks to work out, so if you sign up, you are here to test them out and fix them with me.

ADDITIONAL NOTES (which will continue to be updated if anything should come up)

Official Accusations can still be made during the time of a Revolt, however, the Judge may not take any of them until the Revolt ends.

The Accusation Period of 3 hours will continue once the Revolt ends.

The leader of the Revolt can end it whenever, by saying
Vote: End Revolt

You may not lead a revolt two days in a row.

NEW RULE

Mafia cannot lead a revolt against their own mafia-aligned Judge.
Mafia can still lead a revolt, just not if the Judge is also mafia.

Once a side takes up a Lawyer, the two are allowed to discuss any aspect of the game through private chat. :)
So hiring a lawyer gives you temporary mason abilities. :P
Post edited by Turner on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    PLAYERS

:mrgreen: = alive
    o:) = Immune from tonight's killing.
    :no_mouth: = In Jail
    :weary: = Executed
    :rage: = Killed by Mafia

1. Lissa
    2. CM (JUDGE)
    3. Maj
    4. Katie
    5. Renee
    6. Emily
    7. Harry
    8. Nerdy

Post edited by Turner on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I'm just going to copy Skelda's rules. :p
    (and slightly edit them)

Rules
    1. All votes must be clearly stated in the form of Vote: GUILTY/NOT GUILITY. Any other votes will be ignored.

2. Unvotes must be bolded as well.

3. Once someone has a majority of votes, they will be executed as soon as Turner updates the thread. Any Unvoting once a majority has been reached will not count, so be careful with your votes. However, gameplay, including by the recently executed player, may continue after a majority is reached but before Turner posts the official execution.

4. Alignment will be revealed upon death.

5. Dead players are allowed to talk during the Day, but please do not influence the game in any way and keep discussion limited.

6. If I send anything to you privately, do not copy and paste it into the thread. This includes your role email.

7. Do not edit the content of posts! All information that you post must be visible to everyone. You can fix your grammar or formatting, but if you have another thought just post another time. This is to prevent information from being hidden from people.

8. Do not use small, hard to read text, or invisible text.

9. Do not talk in code to other players.

10. Failure to post after 24 hours will result in being replaced/killed.

11. Night will last 4 hours unless it is late or early, in which case I will wait until I wake up. After 4 hours, the game is moving on. The Mafia should send me who they're going to kill before night even starts. If I don't get anything from them, I will pick the victim randomly.

12. Be respectful to other players. No fighting in the thread! This is a game, yes, and a game where things often get heated. But try not to get personal.
    Post edited by Turner on
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I have no idea how long this will go for, by the way. :P It shouldn't take very long though, a few days at most.

The fewer the amount of players, the faster it will go.

Email me if you want to sign up (turnersims3@yahoo.com), or just PM me. :smiley:
  • Options
    EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    I was brave enough to read it all lol....do I get a cookie lmao :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    cmbaker16 wrote: »
    I was brave enough to read it all lol....do I get a cookie lmao :)

Good job! :p

And sure!

here you go!! :cookie:

(To everyone)
    And if this isn't your thing feel free to drop out. XD I know this isn't the typical mafia game :O

• Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    num...num...num :P
  • Options
    The deadlines for each thing aren't definite, by the way. I'm not exactly sure what was the best time limit for everything.... So that might need adjustment.
  • Options
    MarvelissaMarvelissa Posts: 9,456 Member
    Wow. It sounds super interesting and I can't wait to try it. Probably a bit complicated, but complicated 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is fun. :~D

One thought I had about the "The Citizens Unite!" Needing a unanimous decision might be a bit much? I'm not sure. I think if the judge is mafia it might be difficult to get them to trial, but I guess that's the point? Also, everyone would have to be around in those 3 hours. Just a thought, I have no idea how it'll work in practice, but either lengthening the time or decreasing the necessary votes might be good. Not sure though, it might work fine.
    Mafia Stats:
    Games Played: 59 | Wins: 31 | Losses: 27 | Draws: 1
    Scum: 14 | Town: 40 | Third: 5
    Scum Wins: 5 | Town Wins: 25 | Third Party Wins: 1
    Alive: 18 | Nightkilled: 16 | Lynched: 18 | Endgamed: 3 | Other: 5
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I think it just sounds more complicated than it actually is. :b Once everyone gets the hang of it, it should be easy to understand :)

I think you're right, Lissa. I originally had it at 2/3rds, but for some reason thought unanimous would be better.

But it definitely can't be unanimous, because a remaining mafia member might just refuse to do it, or try and pretend to be inactive. So it'll either have to be majority, 2/3rds or 3/4ths. One of those anyway. I think I'll just do 2/3rds.

And the Judge is allowed to take any case at any point during the 3-hour Accusation Period ... So I think when a riot (for a lack of a better term) starts, the Judge can't take a case until the riot is over. Then the Accusation Period will continue.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was thinking that too. :~)
    I feel like I'll still probably end up trying to explain it to everyone multiple times, but that's not unusual and I don't mind a bit so whatever lol. :P

And 2/3rds sounds good, yeah.
    Mafia Stats:
  • Options
    KatieeeeKatieeee Posts: 16,995 Member
    Marvelissa wrote: »
    🐸🐸🐸🐸

I feel like you have a new fave word.

Mafia stats
    Played: 255 | Won: 221 | Lost: 34
    Town: 100 | Mafia: 150 | Third: 5
    Town Win: 86| Mafia Win: 131 | Third Win: 4
    Alive: 65 | Lynched: 99 | Nk: 91 |

Come play Mafia with us: http://ultimatemafia.boards.net/
  • Options
    Katieeee wrote: »
    🐸🐸🐸🐸

Maybe I do, lol. It just kind of slipped into my speech I guess. :P
    Mafia Stats:
  • Options
    KatieeeeKatieeee Posts: 16,995 Member
    Katieeee wrote: »
    🐸🐸🐸🐸

Maybe I do, lol. It just kind of slipped into my speech I guess. :P

You've said it like 50 times today xD

But that's okay. ;)

Turner this looks odd. But it could be a lot of fun! Hopefully you get another player or two to join sometimes within the next 12 hours :P
    Mafia stats
    Played: 255 | Won: 221 | Lost: 34
    Town: 100 | Mafia: 150 | Third: 5
    Town Win: 86| Mafia Win: 131 | Third Win: 4
    Alive: 65 | Lynched: 99 | Nk: 91 |

Come play Mafia with us: http://ultimatemafia.boards.net/
  • Options
    Lol really? Didn't realize I'd said it that much :P
    Mafia Stats:
  • Options
    thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    Another game? What has this life become.
  • Options
    EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    I have noticed the increasing number of times I am seeing the word shizz used amongst us
  • Options
    Another game? What has this life become.

Is that your subtle way of signing up?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    emilzydiva wrote: »
    I have noticed the increasing number of times I am seeing the word shizz used amongst us

Really? 0_0 I haven't even noticed.

Is that word supposed to be a replacement for 🐸🐸🐸🐸?

Oh, I thought 🐸🐸🐸🐸 was uncensored, turns out crap is the okay word. XD

(plum, in this case, is the "sh" version ;) )
  • Options
    thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    Fine, yes, sign me up.
  • Options
    x_MG_xx_MG_x Posts: 21,308 Member
    edited August 2014
    I believe crap was not censored in the odd forums.

And to be honest, I used to think sucks was a swear word.

I'm not sure if I should or not because this kinda seems very confusing in my opinion.
    BTW, call me Jake.
  • Options
    Something like that I think, Turner. xD

Crap is one of those borderline words. Some people call it a swear word, some say not really. And apparently it's not enough of one to be censored here. The sh one you're referring to, however, is generally considered a swear word.
    Mafia Stats:
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You can wait it out and see, Jake. :)

But generally, in the most simplistic way of explaining it:

A accuses B of murder, and the Judge decides to take A's case.

A and B hire a lawyer to represent them. If a lawyer helps their client win the case, they are immune for that night.

Everyone else forms jury, then the court session begins.

Lawyers post opening statements, then the game plays like normal mafia, but instead of voting for anyone, Jurors can only vote guilty or not guilty.

The jury reaches their verdict once a majority find the Defendant guilty or not guilty.

If the Jury’s verdict is guilty, the Defendant is executed (lynched).
    - If found Guilty (mafia) on reveal, the Plaintiff is rewarded immunity (cannot be killed) for the next two nights.
    - If innocent on reveal, the Plaintiff must face jail for the following night and day, for falsely accusing the Defendant.

If the Jury’s verdict is innocent, the Defendant gets one night immunity, and cannot be accused the following day. Since they are still alive, their role is not revealed.

Once the court session has ended, it will go to night, Mafia chooses someone to kill, then we start day over again, with the 3-hour Accusation period.

And that's about it. :) Then the game just repeats itself, unless a revolt is held.
  • Options
    Something like that I think, Turner. xD

Crap is one of those borderline words. Some people call it a swear word, some say not really. And apparently it's not enough of one to be censored here. The sh one you're referring to, however, is generally considered a swear word.

For me, both versions have always been about equal in "vulgarity".

I know that isn't the general opinion, but I think just the way I was raised around those words, I never saw any difference between them.

So when people say crap and refuse to say 🐸🐸🐸🐸, it doesn't make sense to me. I think the latter is more fun to say anyway. >:)
  • Options
    Fair enough. I suppose that's pretty circumstantial.

Really, I myself don't usually say either. Except sometimes under my breath when I'm alone; considering that I think I have actually said both on occasion. xD I don't usually cuss, but when I do it's almost always when I'm alone, lol. I could probably count on my hands the number of times I've cussed in front of another person.
    Mafia Stats: