Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creating custom content.

I was just wondering what type of programs you would need to make custom content? I'd like to look into it, if anyone has any information on where to start, what programs, any guides that really would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• RICCI288282RICCI288282 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2014
    We have some tutorials for Sims 3 object creation and Clothing Creation. These will be updated once Sims 4 comes out. I suggest you start with free programs so you can make sure you really want to create. A lot of people find they don't have the patience ;)
    Basically to mesh objects you need a 3d program such as wings (free) or milkshape ($35). A Photo program such as the CS series (Adobe quite expensive) Elements (Around $100) or Gimp (free but hard to work with) and you will need a mapping program such as UV Mapper, or if you prefer wings you can map in wings. There are some that map in Milkshape, but I find that cumbersome.

The tutorials we have are
    Object Creation Part 1 using Milkshape

Creation Part 2 texturing, covers all textures for Sims 3

Creating a Simple Coffee table using Wings

Baking with Blender

Clothing Creation a comprehensive guide

Clothing Levels of Detail

We do know that some of this will change for Sims 4 and we will be updating tutorials accordingly. For Sims 3 you need TSR's Workshop or S3PE. There will be a Workshop also for Sims 4.
  • vocaloidentvocaloident Posts: 57 Member
    Ooooo could someone create a Hanbok for male and female I would be most happy :3
  • sasha9861sasha9861 Posts: 97 Member
    We have some tutorials for Sims 3 object creation and Clothing Creation. These will be updated once Sims 4 comes out. I suggest you start with free programs so you can make sure you really want to create. A lot of people find they don't have the patience ;)

Thankyou so much!!
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    Ahem... there are already tools available for ts4 that apparently the folks at TSR aren't aware of yet ;-) And there are threads on them right here. Granthes's Color Magic (nice tut for that at platinum simmers), Zerbu's Caster, and S4PE for now (plus an image editor as mentioned above). There'll be more coming from the free community, watch this space :-)
  • RICCI288282RICCI288282 Posts: 10 New Member
    Yep we know about them. Not meant to offend. We're all on the same team here and all part of the free community. ;)
  • jujubug6992jujubug6992 Posts: 42 Member
    I was wondering how some people have custom clothing on the sims 4 community. It sucks that when I open the sim the cc is gone. :/ I hope the actual game fixes that.
    edited August 2014
    I was wondering how some people have custom clothing on the sims 4 community. It sucks that when I open the sim the cc is gone. :/ I hope the actual game fixes that.

Think that's a "feature", not a "bug". People didn't like having CC (which can have issues and in extreme cases can mess up your save) plopped into their game, often without the downloader even being aware that it's in there. It led to a lot of people avoiding the Exchange completely; I never downloaded anything from there, and that was one of the reasons. It's like playing Russian Roulette :p

The best way to get CC into your game is to figure out which creators make high quality and trustworthy CC and download from the sites where they upload it.

In my view, the correct solution would be to do what they do at sites like MTS -- provide download links for all the CC shown on the sim or lot, so the downloader can make it look like it does in the thumbnail if they want, or pick and choose which CC to get and which to skip.

If you want CC for the TS4 demo, look around... there's a lot available for download already out there :) Until Mod The Sims puts up its TS4 section, you can always look here for different sources: http://mysims4blog.blogspot.com/ . Unlike MTS the downloads there aren't refereed, so there's no guarantee of safety or quality... but it's a good way to get a feel for what's out there.
  • KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    Ahem... there are already tools available for ts4 that apparently the folks at TSR aren't aware of yet ;-) And there are threads on them right here. Granthes's Color Magic (nice tut for that at platinum simmers), Zerbu's Caster, and S4PE for now (plus an image editor as mentioned above). There'll be more coming from the free community, watch this space :-)

Are there any TS4 mesh tutorials and programs yet? Will the old ones work?
    edited August 2014
    @KitOnlyHuman, I'm not a mesher but looks like the folks at Simlogical are working on it ;)http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qnuavb6m95abamb38ha1s6ah16&topic=3174.0

That's by OrangeMittens, using (I think) a tool by @SimKuree et al. She writes great tuts so my guess is she'll put one out for this method sooner or later. No idea how far along it is.

TroublesGaloreHorns.jpg
  • MomGinnyMomGinny Posts: 311 Member
    I've never done meshing before - is that the tool that will (hopefully) allow us to convert TS3 hair to TS4?
    My Sims || My CC Creations || My Simblr || OID: MomGinny
  • synthsynth Posts: 407 Member
    oh woah that meshing is exciting me, im trying to work with meshing in the sims 4!
    buy artpop on itunes
    MomGinny wrote: »
    I've never done meshing before - is that the tool that will (hopefully) allow us to convert TS3 hair to TS4?

I can't answer that authoritatively, but I can comment that while there were kinda-conversions of TS2 hair to TS3, it was really more like remaking the hair for the new engine, and bringing over some of the assets. Given how different they look, I would guess that bringing TS3 hair into TS4 would involve a similar process... would require all the skills and tools needed to make TS4 hair from scratch to accomplish a "conversion".

Kinda wonder whether it would be easier to convert TS2 hair, actually ;) Since one of the things that made TS3 hair (and everything else in TS3) so dang complicated was CaST. Not having CaST is tough on players, but it's gonna make things MUCH easier for modders.
  • LionLion Posts: 42 Member
    I use S4PE, Color magic and gimp with the DDS plug-in.