Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    Quick question about the current build your home challenge. For our original do you want us to furnish it as well or do you need to just see the building with paint and flooring? I want to make sure before I go and decorate the before.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited February 2019
    @BuildnShare I have one last question before I make a decision as to if I want to enter this round or not. What about out buildings? We have a rather large pole barn that houses our boat, lawn mower, car parts and miscellaneous other things. Hubby and I have talked about remodeling it to add electricity, heat, etc. so he could use it year round to restore his classic car out there instead of in the garage. So, I could technically do a remodel of that too.

Is this contest intended for our main living area exclusively, or does it encompass a complete remodel of our entire lot/acreage? The reason I ask besides wondering about the out buildings is because we also have 5 acres of land filled with trails, trees, bushes, flowers, etc. Thanks! :)
  • JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    swcheppes wrote: »
    Quick question about the current build your home challenge. For our original do you want us to furnish it as well or do you need to just see the building with paint and flooring? I want to make sure before I go and decorate the before.

I have the same question.
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited February 2019
    SIM ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #114 - The Tables Have Turned
    FORUM ID: pronterus
    ORIGIN ID: pronterus
    LEVEL: Expert
    HOUSEHOLD: Simself (Makeover)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: HERE
    ENTRY DETAILS:
    I thought I'd give my simself a makeover while renovating my room and ensuite. My style? From lame nerd to cool nerd. It's the kind of style to feel more confident when meeting friends at geek conventions and such.
    >Friend: You look great! What's the nerdy part about your new look?
    >Me: The glasses lol
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: Kijiko (Hairstyle) - LINK
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    npHryYc.jpg
    Post edited by pronterus on
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited February 2019
    ROOM ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: pronterus
    ORIGIN ID: pronterus
    LEVEL: Expert
    ROOM: My Room (SparkJoy)
    GALLERY COST: 26,450
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: HERE
    ENTRY DETAILS: I live in an old house which dates back to the early '70s, so the room that I'm currently staying in has had different tenants over the years. The only thing new about my current room is the red paint job, but aside from that, everything's dated, with lots of clutter left behind by family members who have already left. I've done what I could to make it livable, but with my current budget, that's the best I can do. The ensuite next to it is also dated, and the biggest thing I dislike in it is the tiles. This makes it hard to spot any grime and dirt accumulating. Another thing is the plumbing, which hasn't been looked at in decades. The shower is not working, so we bathe there by filling up buckets with water and use a small dipper to pour water over ourselves.

Now for my dream renovation. I wanted to give my room a more masculine feel by adding blue as well as industrial textures like concrete. I also added a white wall for a bit more brightness. The room has thick curtains because I hate sunlight. Sunlight here is scorching hot, so it's best to have some thick curtains. To compensate for that, I added more lights, unlike the previous room that had minimal lighting. The desk area is still a bit cluttered but more organized, and the bed has been changed to a double for more comfort. As for the ensuite, I removed the horrendous tiles and replaced them with white ones so that my bathroom will look clean, and I can easily spot anything that needs cleaning. I prefer baths more than showers, so I got a huge bathtub and removed that old shower area. The old American-style toilet has been replaced with a Japanese one, which is electronic and cleans your bum as well, which means less wiping with toilet paper. There is also space in the bathroom now to add a laundry basket.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    9rSBeZa.jpg
  • lionpawslionpaws Posts: 431 Member
    edited February 2019
    Ok, I started with the makeover of my Simself:

SIM ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID:lionpaws
    ORIGIN ID:lionpaws
    LEVEL: Established

HOUSEHOLD: New Me
    Old Me

LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: only the two pictures below
    ENTRY DETAILS: Some things, like the comfy bedwear and the subdued partywear have not changed, I'm still the same person :wink:
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: NoCC

New Me
    32256215357_515009f5ab_c.jpg

Old Me
    47146390302_d63342cc1e_c.jpg
  • HIGHER_DESIGNHIGHER_DESIGN Posts: 57 Member
    edited February 2019
    Ugh guys, so I finished furnishing the remodel, take my photos and everything. Then today decided to do a quick challenge for rosemow, move my sim out of the remodel, to go take some pics for the other build. Thinking I had saved it to my Library, I log back onto the lot to discover it was completely bare, and NOT in my Library :(

On the up side, I still have the empty house, and my sim has ALL of the furnishings in their inventory, so I can go back and redo it... gulp* At least I have plenty of time to do so! #prayforme

@BuildnShare are we to re-landscape, or can we keep it relatively the same?
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    @MACDesign My condolences. That sucks. At lease if it had a save you could roll back. Way too many things have happened to me to make me obsessive about saves and backups... and it still bites me on the but here and there. :neutral:
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited February 2019
    Zayven wrote: »
    Are we allowed to change exterior wallpapers?

Absolutely :)
    SheriGR wrote: »
    @BuildnShare My home is a duplex that is basically a mirror of each other except in the basement/bottom floor living area. We own it and we live on one side with part of out adult children and the others live on the other side. Making the whole building makes the most sense. Would that be okay - to make a duplex?

Totally up to you! And if you only renovate your side, that's fine, too.

swcheppes wrote: »

For the best transformation, we'd like to see old furnishings, too. Of course, they may not look exactly as your RL furnishings given the restrictions of the game.

Karababy52 wrote: »
    @BuildnShare I have one last question before I make a decision as to if I want to enter this round or not. What about out buildings? We have a rather large pole barn that houses our boat, lawn mower, car parts and miscellaneous other things. Hubby and I have talked about remodeling it to add electricity, heat, etc. so he could use it year round to restore his classic car out there instead of in the garage. So, I could technically do a remodel of that too.

Is this contest intended for our main living area exclusively, or does it encompass a complete remodel of our entire lot/acreage? The reason I ask besides wondering about the out buildings is because we also have 5 acres of land filled with trails, trees, bushes, flowers, etc. Thanks! :smile:

Anything outside of your regular living space is totally up to you. The only restriction is that no new outbuildings should be added.

MACDesign wrote: »
    Ugh guys, so I finished furnishing the remodel, take my photos and everything. Then today decided to do a quick challenge for rosemow, move my sim out of the remodel, to go take some pics for the other build. Thinking I had saved it to my Library, I log back onto the lot to discover it was completely bare, and NOT in my Library :(

On the up side, I still have the empty house, and my sim has ALL of the furnishings in their inventory, so I can go back and redo it... gulp* At least I have plenty of time to do so! #prayforme

@BuildnShare are we to re-landscape, or can we keep it relatively the same?

So sorry to hear of your issues! It's always a blow to lose your hard work. At least you have 3 weeks for this one? <3

And if your dream renovation includes changes to the landscaping, we'd love to see them. If you already love what you have, feel free to keep it relatively the same.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    @BuildnShare Thank you for answering my question! If I can find the time to do this challenge, I'll probably not show our acreage since it's so big and has lots of details. Plus, I really wouldn't change anything with it anyway or at least not much that would make a big difference. But, I probably will do the house, pole barn and landscaping around it. Thanks again! :)
  • AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    @Kittkat7147 Congrats on your Maxis Fav for Double Double Duplex!! Well Done! :)
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
    @KitKat7147 Congratulations and well done!! :)
    Sims 4 Gallery
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
    For the previous challenge (Love Shack) will there be results for the other skill levels or was it just Expert? Sorry I haven't done a challenge in a bit and don't remember. Thanks :)
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    There will be results for every skill level. It just takes time to go through all the entries. :)
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
    Allears wrote: »
    There will be results for every skill level. It just takes time to go through all the entries. :)

Thanks!! That makes complete sense just excited to find out ;)
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member
    edited March 2019
    I decided not to enter #BNS114 but having gone to the trouble of doing my IRL house I wanted to show it anyway. (I hope that is OK) I am afraid it all looks so much better as a Sim House than it does IRL but such are the circumstances of book sellers.

https://imgur.com/a/qBN6OSb
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/3F75C3A03BB111E98F20048C513C46C4?category=lots&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=FoundMarbles&max=50&maxis=false
    0rKlpEF.jpg
    LGclvuD.png
    Post edited by FoundMarbles on
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • lionpawslionpaws Posts: 431 Member
    @FoundMarbles Great job! It looks awesome.
    edited February 2019
    @FoundMarbles I love it! I am currently wrestling with my home build (Why am I doing this? It's a duplex with a bit of a 'clutter' issue and housing our entire family of grown children and spouses currently... and has a funky roof joint that is annoying me currently, and two walkouts and serious terrain-height issues - which I spent all last evening ironing out how to 'creatively address'. Oy, vey... what have I done. ;) I'm getting tired just describing it! Hopefully I'm past the most annoying hurdles.) Anyway, I absolutely love your irl pic combined with the sim version! You did a wonderful job, and I think your home is beautiful! I love three-story homes with personality. Ours is a ranch-style that is a 'cookie-cutter of the rest of our cul-de-sac of all duplexes. Yuck. Wanna trade? Anyway, I love your build and am so glad you shared it! <3
    Sims 4 Gallery
    edited February 2019
    @BuildnShare I am finding that I cannot be too rigid with the roof area by my garage, basically the entire yard terrain (our lot is more deep and is basically built into a hill - beginning from the top of the hill and much lower by the back of the lot) and includes two walkouts and two windows on the basement level that are presenting serious terrain-height issues that the game does not allow me to reproduce - not even very closely. I have spent a considerable amount of time ironing out how to 'creatively address' the many issues these present. Is this okay, as I was just reading that we should not alter the outside. Also, what about judgement call issues... like I have a cat-door in my deck screen-door and laundry room door, but in the game I have to add them separately in the wall, some areas are off by a 1/2 block proportion or otherwise so they are only 'close' to the real proportion, etc. It seems like there is supposed to be a bit more rigidity when I read the rules vs. trying to do it in reality given the restraints of the game, plus the need to simplify/alter certain things, etc. Sorry. I have a propensity to rigidly (literally have OCD), so I know I can take rules overly literally, and I apologize for that. I just was hoping for a bit of clarification with this all in mind. Thank you!
    Post edited by SheriGR on
    Sims 4 Gallery
    edited February 2019
    Please remove... accidentally double posted. :/
    Sims 4 Gallery
    lionpaws wrote: »
    @FoundMarbles Great job! It looks awesome.
    Thank You! It is a son of a gun trying to build a 1911 house with Sims build because stairs don't go straight up, I wish they would give us split level stairs, landings & stair carpets and split 1/2 size wall panels! Other than details, that really is, basically, my house. (I also wish they still had land lines and wall phones. among other things. EA giveth & taketh away!)

"Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
    edited February 2019
    Really Frustrating, the Gallery image is wrong and I keep deleting from the gallery and uploading the correct image in game but it still posts an older image with the wrong steps! I am not understanding how to fix this. All I am accomplishing is the deletion of comments and stats. (EDIT) I can not get the corrected build up. Worse one of my roofs & my chimney disappear in live mode, though still present in build! However, the corrections are finally showing in Gallery. (EDIT) I finally got everything working properly by doing a game repair.
    Post edited by FoundMarbles on
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    SheriGR wrote: »
    @BuildnShare I am finding that I cannot be too rigid with the roof area by my garage, basically the entire yard terrain (our lot is more deep and is basically built into a hill - beginning from the top of the hill and much lower by the back of the lot) and includes two walkouts and two windows on the basement level that are presenting serious terrain-height issues that the game does not allow me to reproduce - not even very closely. I have spent a considerable amount of time ironing out how to 'creatively address' the many issues these present. Is this okay, as I was just reading that we should not alter the outside. Also, what about judgement call issues... like I have a cat-door in my deck screen-door and laundry room door, but in the game I have to add them separately in the wall, some areas are off by a 1/2 block proportion or otherwise so they are only 'close' to the real proportion, etc. It seems like there is supposed to be a bit more rigidity when I read the rules vs. trying to do it in reality given the restraints of the game, plus the need to simplify/alter certain things, etc. Sorry. I have a propensity to rigidly (literally have OCD), so I know I can take rules overly literally, and I apologize for that. I just was hoping for a bit of clarification with this all in mind. Thank you!

@SheriGR rest assured we are not looking for a perfectly identical version of your home, the game certainly won't allow this! Do your best with what you've got to work with and enjoy doing it. We'll look forward to see what you come up with :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited February 2019
    Really Frustrating, the Gallery image is wrong and I keep deleting from the gallery and uploading the correct image in game but it still posts an older image with the wrong steps! I am not understanding how to fix this. All I am accomplishing is the deletion of comments and stats. I can not get the corrected build up.

@FoundMarbles One word... cache. Bane of my existence. Make sure in your game that it shows the old/wrong one deleted and the correct one shared... and search in the gallery and delete any un-shared/synced copies of it, then clear your cache and game cache and give it time to show corrected. I've had to wait until the next time sometimes to see the right thing on my end in the gallery.

Delete cache:
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/
    Sims 4 Gallery
    edited February 2019
    @BuildnShare Thank you so much! I will just make judgement calls as needed then. :)
    Sims 4 Gallery

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top