Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    Thanks
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member
    edited June 2021
    CHALLENGE #150 - Before and After
    FORUM ID: SimTresa
    ORIGIN ID: SimTresa
    LEVEL: Established
    SIMS 4 LOT NAME: Rippling Flats
    NEW LOT LINK: Morning Glory Reno
    LOT COST: 3,000
    GALLERY COST: 80,815
    TOTAL COST: 83,815
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: New: https://imgur.com/a/H6YgMvS
    Original Slideshow: https://imgur.com/a/i9oguDQ
    ENTRY DETAILS: Question: Is it possible to take a build that never should have been submitted and make it good enough - while coming in under budget? Answer: Yes! I've always wanted a do-over of BNS99, Back to Their Roots. Nearly three years later, here it is. I moved from rustic farmhouse to more of a modern farmhouse look, partly to use the new DHD stuff. I also wanted to include as many of the Lunar New Year free items and few touches from Snowy Escape because the Chens are Chinese and it fit the "back to their roots" theme. I gutted most of the interior and moved some other walls slightly (ground floor went from 14x14 to 15x16). There's a brand new color scheme, and most of the expensive Cats and Dogs items have been replaced - it turns out modern is cheaper than country. I chose to keep the vaulted ceiling and dormers as I liked them.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None
    Pictures:
    rOvrj2t.png
    LZd7fxy.png

The original Brief
    Design a house for the Chen’s. Lot size 30x40/40x30 max any town.
    At least two bedrooms, and a good kitchen. Other standard areas.
    A good sized garden.
    Style and design should reflect a desire for a simpler life.

BUDGET: $85K total budget (includes the lot cost)

The Original Entry form:
    BUILD OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #99 Back To Their Roots
    FORUM ID: TresaofPern
    ORIGIN ID: TresaofPern
    LOT: Rippling Flats
    LOT COST: 3,000
    LOT NAME: Morning Glory Farm
    BUILD COST: 81,953
    TOTAL COST: 84,953
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/i9oguDQ
    ENTRY DETAILS: It's a country style house with two beds and two bathrooms. Mr. and Dr. Chen take turns using the study for meeting with clients and patients. The guest bedroom can easily be converted into a nursery. The loft provides a look down into the living room, but it can also be extended out over the open area if more room is needed.

Judge's Comments and suggestions:
    Morning Glory Farm certainly says country! Your living room is warm and inviting, I can imagine myself curling up with a book in front of the fireplace. The office looks very professional and I am sure the Chens will be able to get a lot of work done in there. The laundry room is a nice touch. The dining room looks like a great place for the family to discuss their day over dinner. The kitchen is quite spacious and certainly country, nice choice in counters and cabinets, the pass-thru is a nice feature. The master bedroom looks very tranquil. Herbal storage room.... interesting. The guest bedroom looks like it would convert to a toddler’s room nicely. Well done!
    Suggestions:
    Your rooms were decorated very well, however you still need to pay attention to the details. On the exterior of the home you have windows on the same level at different heights, for example, the windows in the dormers, the window on the right dormer is lower than the one on the left. This happens again on the left side of the house, where the window on the 2nd-floor landing is higher than the one to the right of it. On the inside the living room being open to the 2nd floor is great, but you have floating ceiling lights and the 2nd-floor wall opposite of the landing is completely blank and appears to be a different wall color, making it stick out even more. I would suggest switching the herbal storage room with the downstairs bathroom, it just makes more sense. As it is, any guest that would be staying in your guest bedroom would have to either go in and use the master bathroom or go all the way downstairs to use that bathroom. Okay, let’s talk landscaping... I know what happened here, you ran out of money and decided to use the flower terrain paint, just to cover it up. Money, money, money, where can we get some money. Let’s have a look at those windows. You mostly used three types of windows on your build, the “Suburban Outlook” (the short shuttered window) for $55, the “Octopane” (short shutterless window) for $35 and “The Clapper” (the tall shuttered window) for $295. Most homes that have shutters, they are purely for looks and often only used on the front facade. If you were to use the “Octopane” window instead of the shuttered windows on the side and back of the home, you would save $1,800, even if you just replaced the “The Clapper” windows on the sides and back with the “Suburban Outlook” windows, you would save $1,440. That savings would have gone a long way towards the landscaping.
    image.png
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited June 2021
    Ll71I0W.png
    We are pleased to announce our newest judge, @Clousinators!

w4ZfxWL.jpg

Congratulations, Clousinators, and thank you for your commitment and contributions to our Build 'n Share challenges! 🌹

Please check the front page of the challenge to view current challenge, rules, Staff Roster, and more!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12391707/#Comment_12391707

3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    Thank you again @BuildnShare ! I am excited to get to work!
  • PinkusfamilyPinkusfamily Posts: 587 Member
    Congratulations @Clousinators
  • AlJayAlJay Posts: 1,655 Member
    Congratulations @Clousinators :)
    bhaXpM1.png
    Attention Expert Entrants for #146 - The Bradley Bunch

Your results are now available here

3gHHX7s.png

GArBA5W.jpg
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    FORUM ID:JojoMOMSTER
    ORIGIN ID:jojoMOMSTER
    SIMS 4 LOT NAME: Brooks Bridge Borough in Glimmerbrook
    NEW LOT LINK: Luv Shak 2.0 Carlos and Betty
    LOT COST: 1750
    GALLERY COST: 35000
    TOTAL COST: n/a lot cost was excluded for this challenge
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: BnS150 Luv Shak 2.0 and BnS113 Happily Ever After
    ENTRY DETAILS:

#BnS113 Original Brief
    Budget: 35,000 [gallery cost]
    Size: No larger than 30x20 lot
    1 Bedroom, 1 Bath
    Be sure to pick a lot that will work well for a romantic getaway
    Lot cost is not a factor in this challenge.

#BnS113 Original Feedback
    Your roof work on Happily Ever After is so impressive! From the whimsical main roofline to the arch over the front door and the asymmetrical chimney (WOW), it’s very impressive. I also love the hollyhocks and climbing vines in the front landscaping. Good window choices that fit with the whimsy of the build. And the heart shaped pool out back is just perfect! Love that you were able to include a hot tub and good use of MOO to place towels on the chairs in the back. Nice bathroom and kitchen. Love the long shelf with accents under the windows in the living area.

Suggestions: I would have like to have seen some landscaping attention on the sides of the build. For me, the bright yellow accents weren’t quite what I expected inside. Work on being cohesive with design inside and out.

Items to address:

Wonky lighting
    I struggled with outdoor lighting on the Belomisia Field Station lot
    qEYVH0D.png
    Carlos and Betty had their cottage moved to the Brooks Bridge Borough lot. Still on riverbank in a secluded area, but with much better outdoor lighting.
    This is on the new lot before I made any changes, to show the better outdoor lighting:
    23aohKn.png

I had left some holes in the ceiling to avoid the chimney turning black, this was causing really weird indoor lighting in the common area
    sPbOgta.png

IbSgSFS.png

I was able to close the ceiling and reposition the chimney without it turning black making for better indoor lighting.
    Too much yellow
    I used more neutral colours inside, this is especially true of the dining table for two.

original
    BPaScQg.png

redecorated
    3CtBWrK.png

Jungle aesthetic competing with woodland cottage aesthetic
    I think the jungle aesthetic detracts from a storybook cottage aesthetic. Why would they need a hearth and cozy fireplace in the jungle? By moving to Glimmerbrook, the cottage feels more like it belongs in an old growth cedar forest than a tropical landscape. I think the new landscaping that is harmonious with Glimmerbrook suits this cottage better.

I'm happier with the cottage in the woods aesthetic than the jungle adventure aesthetic indoors as well, especially the kitchen (I don't think I saved money in the kitchen but am much happier with the result)

original
    hF4OlVP.png

redecorated
    1lll3I2.png

Less than ideal layout
    original
    ICjz6xz.png

redecorated
    9y68vbj.png

I decided the big fireplace should be part of the living room, not a dead zone in front of the kitchen. I wanted them to be able to get from the bathroom to the pool without having to go through the house. I realize having the only bathroom as an en-suite is not ideal but this is a getaway cottage, Carlos and Betty entertain plenty in their OS home, this place is just for them so I decided the bathroom as on ensuite would be permissible. I also wanted to have bath and bed on one side then all the common area open in an l-shape. The bathroom traded places with the bedroom, the bedroom traded places with the livingroom and the kitchen is where the bathroom was.

The lot went from deep to wide so the thumbnail photo would make sense. Their heart pool and hot tub are now in a side yard instead of behind the covered patio.

original
    DSWnxmc.png
    redecorated
    iauYqlr.png

Sunken front path
    I removed the stairs to save money and smoothed out the landscaping.

More romantic feel
    Since Carlos and Betty have a pool, they need a fence. By removing the patio door and having a kitchen door instead the living room feels cozier. The space feels more closed and cozy. Lanterns by the bathtub and on the covered patio help with ambiance.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: art by roseymow and SurfChicCreation
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    U8VMQSU.png
    E9pRx4t.png
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    FORUM ID: becka28
    ORIGIN ID: beckablitz
    SIMS 4 LOT NAME:
    old LOT LINK: Family in Need BNS141
    New Lot link: BNS 150 Tiny Home redo
    LOT COST: $1,500 Comfy Cubby - Newcrest
    GALLERY COST: $33,429
    TOTAL COST: $34, 929
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Original Slideshow 141
    BNS 150 Before and After

Original Brief #BNS 141
    *the budget is $35,000 for the lot and house, etc.
    *the lot should be 20x15 or smaller and must be fully landscaped.
    *the house should be no more than 84 squares total (or less).
    *Please take overhead pictures with the grid on.
    *The home needs at least 1 bedroom, decorated for a young boy; a second bedroom or sleeping space; a bathroom; and a great room with a kitchen area. You can add more rooms if you like

Love the backstory to your build, and that you've decorated to remind your sim of home. Also enjoyed your additional build to create the sense of community, great idea! The planting in front of the steps makes for a very nice entryway and your layout lets the home feels spacious despite it's small size. Great job with the limited pack use too!

Suggestions: The curve on the upper roof is a bit angled. I downloaded your build to check - if you click 'shift+C' with it highlighted it immediately smooths out. I find the extra manipulation points are always useful but can be an especial godsend on small curved roofs. The yard was pretty but a little bare, you had 3.5k spare that could have been used well out here.

Roofline
    Thank you -I improved this as you taught me
    et6PcSu.png?1
    Landscaping
    1uyazVX.png
    I added a fence and way more planting plus totally redid the back garden

Not enough spent
    TOTAL COST: $31,564 original / New cost: $34,929
    I added some missing curtains
    ioAaggA.png
    I redid the kitchen
    QJoLXBL.png
    and spent the majority on the exterior - adding play equipment and a garden shed containing a woodworking bench - to fit the original brief of the mother paying rent by being caretaker of the community of tiny homes.
    kREl7Ei.png

Show what you've learnt
    I felt the child's room just had pieces of furniture placed around the room. I redid it to look more natural and lived in - plus to take advantage of Dream Home decorator furniture.
    1vH2uHi.png
    IllyIcj.png
    IjU1H7y.png

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes thank you
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: none

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)
    IZrT7Rkl.png
    RD2yZVF.png
    EVxjqb3.png
    Attention Master Entrants for #141 - A Small Family in Need

3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited August 2021
    5nd1sli.png
    #BnS150 - Before and After is now closed!
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited July 2021
    m0USnLU.jpg

It’s time for the Summer Designer Showdown!
    You will be given a choice of three families to design for. Each has different likes and dislikes.
    Turn this simple starter home into each family’s dream home.

uEWEX9L.png?2

You can find the lot on the gallery under either #BNS151 or Summer Designer Showdown.
    The families have already removed all of their belongings, leaving you with a mostly empty shell to work with.
    The house is smaller than the lot, so you can place it on any lot that will fit the size of your planned build.
    You can add or remove both interior and exterior walls.
    You can change the wallpaper, flooring, roofing, siding, windows, doors, and steps.
    You can raise or lower the foundation.
    You can add anything you like.
    The most important rule of this challenge is to have fun!

THE BRIEF

Budget: 50,000 - 150,000 depending on which family you choose.

Smiths: 65k
    Vargases: 170k
    Larsons: 180k

The house must have all the usual rooms, plus any special requests each family may have.

Make sure everyone has a place to sleep.

Remember to landscape the lot.

1. Casey and Emily Smith: Casey works as a hospital receptionist and as such is into healthy living. Emily is active and enjoys sports and music. Their dream home includes a gym and pool. They love to prepare healthy meals together. Their favorite colors are green and blue. They love modern, contemporary styles.

2. Ricardo and Zahra Vargas: He’s a secret agent and she’s a novelist. They need a comfortable office space or two since they both spend plenty of time at their computers. An avid reader, Zahra would love a home library. They have two children, with one on the way, so they’ll need a big yard with plenty of play options. The Vargases hate the color black. He prefers Mission style furniture, she likes a more playful, boho flare.

3. Jamie and Pat Larson: Jamie and Pat recently became the guardians of their nieces and nephews, ranging in age from infant to teen, so they need a much larger house. They need plenty of space for the four children to pursue their various hobbies, which include basketball, video games, art, and woodworking. A crafts room would be ideal. Jamie has always wanted a rooftop observatory. Their favorite colors are blue and red. They’re not too picky about style, but both hate Gothic Farmhouse style. The four children all have different favorite colors.

Sim Challenge

Create the family you’re building for, or any of the three households if you’re not doing the build, and show their traits and any skills. You can pick likes and dislikes in addition to those included in the brief.

Room Challenge

Budget: 15k
    Build the living room for the family you chose to build for, or any of them if you’re not doing the build challenge.

Remember to include the entirety of the hashtag #bns151 or your entry will not be judged!
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Jazmi1396Jazmi1396 Posts: 116 Member
    Hi!

"You can add or remove both interior and exterior walls. You can add anything you like."

Does this mean I can add new walls (and thus rooms) to both the first floor and the second? I'm glad of that, but maybe that way you won’t recognize the original house, isn't that a problem for you? :smile:
    Jazmi1396 wrote: »
    Hi!

"You can add or remove both interior and exterior walls. You can add anything you like."

Does this mean I can add new walls (and thus rooms) to both the first floor and the second? I'm glad of that, but maybe that way you won’t recognize the original house, isn't that a problem for you? :smile:

Yes, you can add rooms to both floors. This time;, it doesn't matter if the house recognizable. ;)
    image.png
    OK, thank you! :)
    Jazmi1396 wrote: »
    OK, thank you! :)

You're welcome!
    image.png
    bhaXpM1.png
    Attention Expert Entrants for #147 - Empty Nest

3gHHX7s.png

GArBA5W.jpg
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Hey guys! Long time no see
    So Im back to sims, and Id love to get back into building. However its been like 3 years since I last built something, so should I start out in the first entry level? Thanks in advance!
  • masajomasajo Posts: 6,011 Member
    @WiggleyTuff enter in whatever category you feel comfortable with :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    masajo wrote: »
    @WiggleyTuff enter in whatever category you feel comfortable with :)

Alright thanks!

So, just to make sure, its completely fine to remake the entire house as long as you complete the requirements? Its okay to change the roofing?
  • masajomasajo Posts: 6,011 Member
    @WiggleyTuff yes it's ok to change the roofing :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
    bhaXpM1.png
    Attention Expert Entrants for #148 - Spring Designer Showdown

3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
    CHALLENGE #151 - Summer Designer Showdown
    ORIGIN ID: Jazmi1396
    LEVEL: Expert
    SIMS 4 LOT NAME: Summer Designer Showdown
    NEW LOT LINK: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/2F5CC382DDDC11EB84D0C0B26CC30691?category=lots&searchtype=item_name&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=Summer Designer Showdown&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: 4,000
    GALLERY COST: 95,997
    TOTAL COST: 99,997
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/l5Yybl5
    ENTRY DETAILS: I thought a traditional style house would be the most suitable for the Vargases, maybe this is where mission and boho style fit together. I used warm colors, shades of brown, yellow, orange and green on the first floor, where I tried to do mostly mission style, complete with 1-2 boho items. There are a lot more boho elements in the main bedroom, which I like best. :) There are many of play options in the backyard, but adults can also relax here.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    PICTURES:

iRC2sOu.png
    S3vY0aJ.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top