Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• 4Sanne4Sanne Posts: 46 Member
    Hi!
    I have a question: Can somebody please explain to me what a foundation basement is?
    Does this mean that if we have a foundation, we can't have a basement?

Thanks!! B)
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    @TresaofPern - I think you're right ;)
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited May 2018
    4Sanne wrote: »
    Hi!
    I have a question: Can somebody please explain to me what a foundation basement is?
    Does this mean that if we have a foundation, we can't have a basement?

Thanks!! B)

@4Sanne - you can, of course, have a basement as well as a foundation.

This challenge was originally written for the TS3 and building basements in the older game was a very different concept. We'll update the brief to make this more clear.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    fcuRqPI.png
    3gHHX7s.png
    ATTENTION STARTING OUT ENTRANTS FOR #BNS94 - THE HAWTHORNE PROJECT PART VIII

Your results are now available here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • PiratePirate Posts: 66 Member
    Bloody Brilliant idea! :) Thank you for sharing!!
    @VagueNightmare, I think it's a ploy to get everyone to buy Get Together, which has a glass dance floor that can be put on ceilings, making them look like they have glass roofs. ;)

• PiratePirate Posts: 66 Member
    So if we have a basement, it can only be a pool? & When you say "no usable space" does that mean no walkway to get to and/or in & out of the pool? Please elaborate.
  • FidgetyAtomFidgetyAtom Posts: 128 Member
    Pirate wrote: »
    So if we have a basement, it can only be a pool? & When you say "no usable space" does that mean no walkway to get to and/or in & out of the pool? Please elaborate.

I am pretty sure that's not the case. You may have a basement, a full usable basement. The question I asked is if we could put a pool within that basement (which would take it to two levels down). Yes, we are allowed to do so, but cannot make to levels of usable/walkable space. I hope that makes it more clear! <3
    Money can't buy you happiness
    but it can buy The Sims
    which is pretty much
    the same thing
  • AinsleyfAinsleyf Posts: 880 Member
    Thanks so much @soulgal7 and congrats To @lisabee2 on your daughter's wedding! And congrats to @linday for the Maxis fav - woot!

@wrathofcath - absolutely gorgeous - as usual! love that little wrap around garden and the tiny upstairs walk out porch! Everything about it is just wonderful!

@Kojik - Wow, that awning over the lanai is fabulous - wonderful colors and charming house all around!

@soulgal7 - fantastic colors and love the beachy interior and flags, and that garden arrangement is awesome! Great beach house!

@masajo - stunning build. Fantastic gardens and the shaded lanai is just gorgeous. Love the southwestern colors too.

@faithofkaela - Wow, that two level pool area is really awesome. Love the shiny grey brick and the gardens are wonderful! Wonderful house!

@airis6962 - Very charming - those open air windows are great, especially in the kitchen, they look fantastic. Very pretty build!

@4sanne - pretty little house, love the big modern kitchen with all the glass and the wrap around to the little gym! Looks great with all the brick too!

@simsislandheart - Wonderful build and how cool that you found Hermey a wife and family!! Your home is so warm and colorful! Cool!!!

@mannanna - that is one heck of a gorgeous outdoor living space! The indoor bits are pretty great too! Beautiful earth tones as well!

@gmcrozier - does not disappoint! Wonderful home. Love your wall treatments and clean architectural lines. Well done!!!

@buildnshare - the new project sounds awesome! Looking forward to everyone's take on it!

Pirate wrote: »

I am pretty sure that's not the case. You may have a basement, a full usable basement. The question I asked is if we could put a pool within that basement (which would take it to two levels down). Yes, we are allowed to do so, but cannot make to levels of usable/walkable space. I hope that makes it more clear! <3

@pirate - @FidgetyAtom is indeed correct, you may have a basement, and a pool in the basement (so technically, the pool would be two stories down). All we ask is that there is no other usable space in that second, lower story.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    I liked the idea of a pool, then I began wondering how they would get water for it out there. Wouldn't it take so much space and weight on the space ship to mars? lol This thinking led to some discussions about space travel with my husband. I mean they think there is water on mars in the ice caps so I guess they could thaw that out. Then we came up with the idea of it being the recycled water. So they swim, pee and bath with it..lol good times. I don't know if I will add one or not now. :D
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

• SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    Brilliant idea, but I'm not doing a pool this time. The big debate is whether or not to give them TVs for entertainment. Suppose they could have a stack of DVDs or something.
    image.png
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    or video games :smile:
  • maryjane2joemaryjane2joe Posts: 294 Member
    edited May 2018
    Well, I would think a pool would be ok; Whomever decided there will be a colony on Mars also thought out the fact they'll need running water for bathing and drinking and decontamination purposes as well as other stuff.. so I figure they had to come up with some idea of water.. either being there already or whatever... so yeah.. I'm gonna add a pool .. mostly because.. I happen to like pools in our sims world :)
    285JXDb.jpg
  • VagueNightmareVagueNightmare Posts: 67 Member
    @TresaofPern yea but those aren't really the look I want unfortunately.
    Check out my Speed Builds! [img][/img]6JqfrhK.jpg
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
    edited May 2018
    @Pallystyle - here is a Nasa article on water conservation that I thought you would find interesting. But, heck, this is The Sims, anything is possible. The Sims has so much more advanced knowledge than Nasa lol Plus, this is a fantasy build, really, so just go with your ideas. I am sure that in those "secret files" there were some highly advanced technology schematics that they wanted worked into your build. Be creative and have fun!

Anyway, back to the pool question. If you want to build one, go ahead. Anything is possible.

Also, just so you know, if anyone builds a rocket, when it is downloaded, it does not stay a rocket, it reverts back to square 1. It will show in the up-load pic, though, as a full rocket.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2000/ast02nov_1

@TresaofPern - even the USS Starship Enterprise had huge screens in the recreation room:

"At the front of the room is an immense, wall- mounted viewing screen, the largest aboard ship. This three-dimensional imaging device can be programmed to display any one of thousands of twentieth-, twenty-first, or twenty-second century movies, and also holds in its memory a lesser number of twenty-third century releases. Live sporting events, carried by subspace video comlink, can be displayed as well. On rare occasion, the unit is used to display Star Fleet Personnel Address broadcasts for crew assemblies. Two turbolifts on the forward end of the room provide access to F Deck and the rec deck's balcony around. This upper area houses smaller rooms where three-dimensional chess and checkers may be played, as well as cards, backgammon, and other non-electronic games.

Beneath the viewing screen is an information display alcove. Five small screens exhibit, upon request, a choice of pictorial histories, including those of Star Fleet, the Federation, the countries on Earth, Vulcan, Alpha Centauri, and other Federation worlds, and all vessels which have borne the name "Enterprise." Reading lounges and snack bars line the port and starboard bulkheads.

A raised platform in the center of the lower level floor features a diversity of electronic entertainments. Games such as Concentrex, Challenge, Eye-Q, and Phaser Duel are programmed into consoles which stand within sunken seating areas. A shufflelight board in the middle of the floor may be used for tournament play."

I hope that this gets everyone inspired. I had some ideas on builds, but, unfortunately, don't have the skill set to get it built, so probably won't be participating in the build challenge.
    @SoulGal7 Thanks for the info on the rocket thing... I absolutely didn't know that until now :)
    285JXDb.jpg
    @SoulGal7 Yes, I figured that was how the whole water thing worked. It's gross but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! :D

I am still playing around with my lay out and playtesting and such. The thought of a water tank/pool is still in play for me.

Last night we were talking again about how would they dig the underground space? How hard is the surface of mars and whats under it?....lol so many questions when you try and keep it real. I know it doesn't have to be but sometimes I can't help but look at it that way. :p:#

• SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    Pallystyle wrote: »
    Last night we were talking again about how would they dig the underground space? How hard is the surface of mars and whats under it?....lol so many questions when you try and keep it real. I know it doesn't have to be but sometimes I can't help but look at it that way. :p:#

The Martian surface is very similar to the desert regions of the Americas and the Siberian tundra with regard to surface texture, hardness, and pliability. It's definitely not enriched-garden-soil digging, but it's not overly taxing on digging equipment. The Martian rovers all are equipped with small drilling and digging tools they use for taking samples both on top of and just underneath the surface.
  • kilra0kilra0 Posts: 644 Member
    @Pallystyle some of those questions I ask myself and there is a good article of Mars on Wikipedia, helps a lot :D
    Pallystyle wrote: »

The Martian surface is very similar to the desert regions of the Americas and the Siberian tundra with regard to surface texture, hardness, and pliability. It's definitely not enriched-garden-soil digging, but it's not overly taxing on digging equipment. The Martian rovers all are equipped with small drilling and digging tools they use for taking samples both on top of and just underneath the surface.

That's interesting. I guess that is why some feel that it is all faked and they are just filming in a desert somewhere with a filter on the lens. :D:p

I still would get lost in trying to imagine how long it would take a small rover to dig a deep enough underground space. But I may be looking to much into trying to be realistic. This is where I look forward to seeing how everyone comes up with their prototype base and how they designed it!

kilra0 wrote: »
    @Pallystyle some of those questions I ask myself and there is a good article of Mars on Wikipedia, helps a lot :D

Thanks, I'll check it out.

• KojiKKojiK Posts: 786 Member
    Im almost done but I used a 30 x 30 lots and theres none in Oasis Spring, only in Newcrest and Brindleton Bay none desert worlds

EA Game Changer

If inspiration bites, grab on to it!

Does anybody know what the lot cost at... Windenburg - The Bluffs?
    I am trying to build my outter space thing there but... I forgot to see what the lot cost is and so now i'm lost in space sorta :(
    285JXDb.jpg
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    hmmm.... @maryjane2joe when I bulldozed it, it shows a lot value of $0. The lot type is Island Bluff and it won't allow you to change it.
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
    KojiK wrote: »
    Im almost done but I used a 30 x 30 lots and theres none in Oasis Spring, only in Newcrest and Brindleton Bay none desert worlds

@Kojik - you can use the terrain tools to make your lot desert instead of grass. Hope that helps.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top