March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    I was wondering the same myself, @pammiechick
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Congratulations to all the winners named so far in Challenge #3! Fabulous builds!

As for myself... o.O Wow! Expert? Seriously? What a nice surprise to be put in this category, I'm flattered and humbled to be included alongside so many amazing builders I admire. Thank you! Thanks also for the constructive criticism and compliments on my build, very much appreciated. I can't take credit for the layered rugs though, I saw another builder do something similar and just ran with it because I thought it was such a great idea. The combination Master Bathroom/Home Gym evolved from a photo I found on Google when I did an image search on Modern Interiors. Glad you like it! :)

I already knew the three small dormers didn't quite look right thanks to @DieterPrivate pointing it out to me as well. Thanks again @DieterPrivate! In fact, I modified them to a two dormer and one dormer look and kept the one dormer because I felt it did look much better and more appropriately balanced. Which leads me to a couple questions about Challenge #5.

1. Will I need to reload the original design of my Challenge #3 entry on the lot? Or can I keep the one dormer version now on the lot and just keep track of the allotted budget for the two additional homes?
    2. I looked up the Arts and Crafts and the Coastal/Eclectic interior styles online. I noticed the Arts and Crafts style is very distinct and very doable. But, the Coastal and Eclectic looks are very different from each other and I wonder why they are put together as one style. Are we meant to try to meld the two styles together? Or are we supposed to pick one or the other for Vivian's home?

Hey @Karababy52 - we will not be judging any changes on your original homes, just the two additions, so feel free to make the changes if you feel it will it will help the overall cohesiveness of the builds, but, yes, you will need to keep track of the allotted budget... When thinking about Coastal and Eclectic, I think the two styles can actually be merged, but that is up to your take on the brief ;)

@celdys0n You will only be judged on the two additions to your build (and additional landscaping) for this new challenge. But I think you could make minor adjustments to the original build for cohesiveness among the 3 buildings if you want to - as long as you keep in mind that your TOTAL budget for the entire lot remains the same and that no furnishings or decor should be stripped from the main build to save on simoleans.

And old people still like to sew, right? Or are they too busy browsing Pinterest now (like my mom, lol) to break out the sewing machine :p

Just for clarification so that I don't do something unacceptable...

Does this mean it is okay to edit the original build to incorporate some changes proposed on the judges feedback as long as they aren't done as a way to increase the budget for the current challenge? I would love the opportunity to correct some of the things that were suggested!

@Kulthero777 - As mentioned above, we will not judge any changes made to your original home, only the two additions, you can of course make changes to the original home as long as it does not help you free up simoleons for your additions :)

For Leroy, you mean active and gloomy? There is no grumpy trait. And for Charlotte, do you mean good? I can't find a nice trait.

@pammiechick - Yep, you got those right, apologies, this is an oversight as the challenge was originally created for TS3.

And for those of you wondering about a garage/carport, please do not worry about including this feature in your build, again, my fault, I skim read the TS3 challenge and thought I had made all the changes necessary to translate to TS4, but I obviously missed a couple of things. I will go back and edit the challenge briefs accordingly.

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited October 2014

I was actually able to create a garage with a car included. I just took one of the tiny cars and enlarged it to fit inside the open door garage (more like a carport).

It's the sewing room that's going to give me fits! :s
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    I was actually able to create a garage with a car included. I just took one of the tiny cars and enlarged it to fit inside the open door garage (more like a carport).

@Ppammiechick - This is where you need to be creative :stuck_out_tongue:
  • KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member

That was a cool idea, @pammiechick! And I am totally clueless on how to do a sewing room in TS4... There aren't even any sewing objects in TS4 that I am aware of... I'm not even sure I remember sewing stuff in TS3... ??? Not real sure how I am going to incorporate a sewing room... I'm stumped... LOL But the rest of it, now that the garage part is gone, sounds quite doable! I'm going to have fun updating this lot! =)
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    @pammiechick I did the same thing for the garage. I think I will leave it even though it's not required anymore. I'm no where near finished, it's pretty much just the walls and roof up at this point. If I still like the way it looks as I get it painted/decorated I'll keep it. Now I'm off to search for things to use in that sewing room.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    I think this is the challenge I'll sit out (I've been looking to skip one anyway in order to find some time to finish some of my other builds). My Olsens have decided that having their parents move onto the same lot might not be such a great idea after all... And they'd rather save some space for a pool they plan to build next month. :p Best of luck to everyone taking part in this one. :)
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations

@Ppammiechick - This is where you need to be creative :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol! Creative! Gasp! But I'll do my best. Ha! Am having a lot of fun with this build so far.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Okay, thanks for the clarifications on my questions @FaithofKaela If I enter this round, I'll do my best trying to meld the two styles together as suggested. Your comment made me smile @DieterPrivate, you're so right! :)
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    Sweet! Now I don't need to worry about the garage. As for the sewing room, I have an idea of how I can pull it off after glancing at some images for Arts and Craft style interiors. It's just finding time to do it that is tricky. Boss is on vacation next week and I am one of the managers, so it'll be....@_@
  • RachelShennanRachelShennan Posts: 163 Member
    edited October 2014
    Hiiii

So do we not have to do the garage? I was getting so furstrated cause of the foundation tool haha

Oops, I finally found the comment clarifying this! Yay, I was wondering how I'd go about this but I'm rather happy it's no longer needed
  • RachelShennanRachelShennan Posts: 163 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 4 - A Ghostly Design
    FORUM ID: DieterPrivate
    ORIGIN ID: DieterPrivate
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Green's Ghostly Mansion

Build-n-Share%20004.png

I think this is such a lovely build, wish I knew how to build roofs like that.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    I think this is such a lovely build, wish I knew how to build roofs like that.

Take a look at the new guide by @ruthlesskk - she covers do-it-yourself Mansard roofs quite nicely here.

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    Starters results are posted for Challenge #3
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • simhead70simhead70 Posts: 614 Member
    @Lebanna

Thank you for your feedback on the results for Challenge #3. I appreciated it very much! Thank you. And Congratulations to everyone in every category on Challenge #3. :)

Much <3

Simhead
    b141edb2-262e-48c6-a432-99db802758b0_zpspfbmwyih.jpg
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    edited November 2014
    I am going to step out of the next few challenges, including this one. Real Life is crashing hard on me right now. I started doing Vivian's house and as I stepped back just now and looked around, I've realized I need to set the game down to concentrate on RL. I am going to miss my little creative outlet, but it must be done.

Thanks to everyone who have participated in BnS, all of your builds (and judging!) have been such an inspiration to me and I am glad to have taken part this far. Hopefully I will be back in a few weeks, preferably before any mention of an expansion to TS4! Hahah!

Don't mind me if I pop in sometimes. Forums are easy to chat in, gaming takes a while. Le sigh....

Edit: For anyone struggling with the budget, I took the budget and split it between Vivian and the couple. I gave Vivian S$62000 to build her house and Leroy and Charlotte received S$63000 for their house. I also took the lot total before building and added each budget to it so I would know my limits. I hope this tip helps!

Example:
    Before build Total = S$74,897
    Vivian Budget Limit = S$136,897
    Leroy and Charlotte Budget Limit = S$199,897

Wish I could finish, but looking forward to see what y'all build!
    @celdyson - please don't be a stranger! I understand what a pain in the behind RL can be, but please make sure you come and say hi form time to time. Take care of yourself my sweet!!
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    @celdyson, geat idea about the budget. And we completely understand about real life kicking some ... you know what from time to time. Take your time, and we never mind lurkers or chatters :D who would! And you'll just come back to participate whenever you want.
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    edited November 2014
    Good luck everybody on #5. I will be sitting this one out as I have not done the colonial house challenge. But I certainly have good news. "drum roll please" I have become a member now and I am able to post pictures and links. :D So finally here is a picture of my "Ghostly Manor". I am really chuffed with my first contest attempted. :)
    http://s42.photobucket.com/user/Issabella_Koen/media/10-25-14_1-14nbspPM-2_zpsb70b229a.png.html?sort=3&o=2

Post edited by Issabella14 on
  • LavenderLavender Posts: 73 Member
    That is an amazing guide you've linked, BryonyRae!!! It's packed with useful building info!!!
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    Regretfully, you can add my name to the list of those who will be sitting this challenge out. Good luck to the participants!
  • KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    Eeps, we seem to be dropping like flies... sigh... I don't think I'm going to make this challenge either.

With my original Olsen build being in the middle of the lot, it doesn't leave a lot of room in back to make a proper looking house. Especially if you only have 1 story to work with in the case of the one being in the walker and needing lots of space to move around in (I wouldn't dream of making her go up stairs).

Not to mention that me constantly being attached to the Sims has taken me away from my family, and they need me too. Then lets add in the pain factor that distracts me... It's all a bit much. I think I need to take a break for a bit and ground and center myself. I'll still be checking in from time to time though! =)

These challenges make you think outside of the box, and that's good. It's good to stretch your mind. I think I'm going to finish this challenge on my own time though. To me, the Olsen's were my most favorite challenge! =) I feel vested in them and want to give them what they came to us for. It just isn't going to be ready in time for judging. I also do want to try the Victorian again. I just might have to drop my favorite parts of the build I started... dang it if I could only manage that porch horizontally instead of diagonally... eh... I'll play around with it... but, as time allows... right now, me and the family come first...

Good luck to everyone, I can't wait to see all the great work everyone does! =)
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    KelSimmie wrote: »
    With my original Olsen build being in the middle of the lot, it doesn't leave a lot of room in back to make a proper looking house. Especially if you only have 1 story to work with in the case of the one being in the walker and needing lots of space to move around in (I wouldn't dream of making her go up stairs).

I will enter, my shells are finished, but I have the same problem as I want to have a 1 story build for the walker, but it is close to impossible to do, still figuring out to edit the shell to have this. It's very hard as we also have to have a sewing room on that level too!

For those who need more room, bulldoze your lot and download the original Olsen's where you'd like. Mine fits perfectly and it was a fairly easy challenge for the shells. (The inside was a challenge, so I used a lot of CC! I'm happy with it, though!) The biggest problem with getting pics is the Olsen's don't know where "their" houses are. LOL! And so they freely use all houses, including beds and for pics, I have to constantly kick them out. I long for the days when you could designate beds and lock doors! Ha!
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    For those of you having space issues, don't forget you can pick up the 'rooms' and move them to wherever you'd like, so you can shift things around to your hearts content....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top