March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited October 2014
    Due to logistics, the next challenge is being posted a little early. Don't worry though, you still have until midnight CMT to get your Challenge #4 entries in!

#5 The Olsen's Part Two

Morning. Who said morning had to come so early? ‘Whoever it was, they deserve a good punch in the mouth’, you decide as you grumpily sit down at your desk. And a Monday morning was even worse. A few scant hours of sleep after spending far too much time at a charity fundraiser the night before somehow only served to make you feel more tired. Desperately gulping down the caffeine laden pumpkin spiced latte you picked up on the way in, you hope it will cure your exhausted grouchiness before your first appointment.

An email from [email protected] catches your eye as you wade through the Monday morning inbox.

“Hi! I'm so sorry, but Don and I are going to have to miss our appointment with you this Monday. We've had a family emergency. I wanted to tell you though, that we love our new home and look forward to spending the rest of our lives there.

However, we wanted to tell you about part 2 of our project. We are both very close to our parents, being only children. My Mom, and both of his parents. We’d like you to build 2 more houses on the property, one for each of our parents. Our parents are…tolerant of each other, so individual houses are best. Each house should be Colonial in design and tie in with the main house that you built for us. Of course, appropriate landscaping is a must.

His parents, Leroy and Charlotte, prefer an Arts and Crafts style of decorating and interior. Their house should be 1 bedroom, 1.5 baths at least. His mother uses a walker, so nothing cluttered so she can get around. She needs a sewing room for her hobbies and he needs a den for when he watches hockey. My mother in law hates hockey.

My mother, Vivian, prefers a Coastal/Eclectic style of décor. She loves to read and write, so good lighting and lots of bookshelves are a must. Her house should be 1 bedroom and 1.5 baths as well. She also likes to garden, so a small greenhouse out back for her to putter in would be a great addition.

I hope you’re interested in taking on this challenge. We will be back in about 2 weeks, since both parents will be arriving then. If you have any problems, let me know!

Thanks, Judy.”

You lean back in your chair, thinking over the request. ‘Shouldn't be too hard…’

Requirements:
    ☆ 2 small homes, with colonial architecture and landscaping
    ☆ Each home must have 1 bedroom, 1.5 baths
    ☆ Total budget of $125k

Leroy and Charlotte’s home:
    ☆ Arts and Crafts interior
    ☆ Sewing room
    ☆ Den
    ☆ Garage
    ☆ Walker friendly

Vivian’s home:
    ☆ Coastal/Eclectic interior
    ☆ Greenhouse
    ☆ Good lighting
    ☆ Lots of bookshelves

Sim Challenge:
    Make Leroy, Charlotte and Vivian and show one photo of each of them doing what they love!
    Leroy is active and gloomy,
    Charlotte is creative and good,
    Vivian loves the outdoors and and is a bookworm.
    The rest of the traits, as always, are up to you!

Room Challenge:
    Make Vivian's greenhouse! It must not be more than 5*5 and your budget is $10k

Note, if you did not take part in the first part of this challenge, then you can of course still enter part two. You should just build the two homes on a lot no larger than 30x20…

Deadline: Wednesday 12th November, Midnight CMT

ETA - Updated for better translation to TS4.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    edited October 2014
    *glances at email, looks at pictures of her build then back at the request* Another driveway?! Er...um...I can figure this out! I think...* keeps staring at photos and the email*

I do have one question. Could we possibly use whatever left over amount on the first part budget if we feel the need to do any kind of editing to the main house or....no?

Edit: also, sewing room? Sims can sew in ts4?
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Hey @BryonyRae, when showcasing your builds we always want to see what you have done to make your builds unique. It is much more difficult in TS4 as we have lost the CASt tool. In TS3 we always allowed buydebug items, even if their costs were negligible, as they are freely available in the game, the only time we do not allow $0 items in when they are CC and replace an item that should cost substantially more. When it comes to costing in TS4, I would recommend keeping a tab of the cost as you build, if you are using crafted items like paitings/wood work etc. We know that they do not transfer, but as we judge solely on the media that you provide, it can make such a huge difference to the feel of a home. The choice, as always is yours as to how you go about showcasing your homes.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense re: the debug items vs. CC.

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    For a moment my heart stopped! I am working hard on my presentation for the moment, and then saw number 5 has been posted. Glad to see I can still enter, so I'm entering... (Runs off finishing the presentation...)
    edited October 2014
    @BuildnShare Just a quick clarification regarding challenge #5. I just wanted to double-check on the garage requirement, since we don't have cars or proper garage doors in TS4. I wasn't sure if it was an unintentional or intentional carryover from the TS3 challenge (we can of course make a fake one). And then, in addition to the required rooms (bedrooms, baths and specific rooms), do the homes need to have living/dining/kitchens? I would assume so, but obviously we could save on costs quite a bit if we didn't have to put them in...

Speaking of budget, wasn't our budget for the first Olsen's challenge 100K? So we only have 25k more to add two homes and various requirements for them? Holy Mackerel...for those of us who spent right up to 100k, we might need to strip down the original house a good bit in order to do this! :p But that brings me to one more point of clarification: Would I be right in thinking we should not make any changes to the original home, i.e. it wouldn't be right to strip it down just to provide ourselves with a bigger budget for the new structures?

Okay, so this wasn't such a quick clarification. :p

Edit: And even the "fake" garage is actually pretty problematic if you used a foundation for your Colonial...
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 4 - A Ghostly Design
    FORUM ID: DieterPrivate
    ORIGIN ID: DieterPrivate
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Green's Ghostly Mansion
    SIM: Green
    ROOM: N/A
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Presentation
    ENTRY DETAILS: What a wonderful build. Loved the challenge. The exterior went fast, but I struggled with the landscaping. I redid it several times and then gave up. So I began the interior, which was hard, as I couldn't get the stairs at a good place. Trying out so many different positions, I went dizzy. I settled with the position I found most appropriate to have good sided rooms downstairs. The only room I'm not quite happy with is the 'public' bathroom, as it's too big and an awkward shape, but I couldn't get it right without doing the exterior, and that was already finished. I then only had to do the landscaping and lighting to finish this off. It was a miracle, as I did like the landscaping this time after my first new try. I have spent a lot of time playing with the lightning, colors, intensity, some bugs with it. At the end, I think it all fits very well together and I hope others will enjoy playing in it. I almost forgot trying to kill off William. I also had 'fun' with that, I created a mini-story in my slideshow on what's happened.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: Didn't use any.

Build-n-Share%20004.png
    Post edited by DieterPrivate on
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    It has to be 125K above the budget, so I'm setting my total to be $214K. If not, I'm out of the challenge. I've built the two extra houses and it's quite a bit of the budget.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Attention, Established Entrants - Results for Challenge #3 are Posted on Winner's Circle
  • EEtheridgeEEtheridge Posts: 585 Member
    @Buildnshare thanks so much for the constructive criticism on my entry for Challenge #3, it is truly appreciated as it helps with improving my builds. I did not realize that my home looked more Victorian than Colonial, I will definitely need that information for challenge #5.

Congrats to the Challenge 3 winner, all of the entries we amazing!

I do have a question about challenge #5, since we are unable to build real garages would it be possible to substitute a carport instead?
    MyTS4Signature_zpsa6ba606a.jpg
    View my homes in the Gallery, Origin ID: EEtheridge
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @BuildnShare Just a quick clarification regarding challenge #5. I just wanted to double-check on the garage requirement, since we don't have cars or proper garage doors in TS4. I wasn't sure if it was an unintentional or intentional carryover from the TS3 challenge (we can of course make a fake one). And then, in addition to the required rooms (bedrooms, baths and specific rooms), do the homes need to have living/dining/kitchens? I would assume so, but obviously we could save on costs quite a bit if we didn't have to put them in...

Speaking of budget, wasn't our budget for the first Olsen's challenge 100K? So we only have 25k more to add two homes and various requirements for them? Holy Mackerel...for those of us who spent right up to 100k, we might need to strip down the original house a good bit in order to do this! :p But that brings me to one more point of clarification: Would I be right in thinking we should not make any changes to the original home, i.e. it wouldn't be right to strip it down just to provide ourselves with a bigger budget for the new structures?

Okay, so this wasn't such a quick clarification. :p

Edit: And even the "fake" garage is actually pretty problematic if you used a foundation for your Colonial...

@BryonyRae - the total budget for the entire complex of homes (original house plus the 2 in-law homes) is 225,000. The new homes should be fully functional for a sim's basic needs (food preparation, dining, cleanliness, basic fun/relaxation, and sleep) in addition to providing the requested specifics, but it is up to you how you want to address functionality (eat-in kitchen, kitchenette, island with bar stools, dining nook, full dining area, etc.) And no, you would not be able to strip down the original home in order to add funds for the new ones ;)

I will leave it to @FaithofKaela to answer the question re: garages...

EEtheridge wrote: »
    @Buildnshare thanks so much for the constructive criticism on my entry for Challenge #3, it is truly appreciated as it helps with improving my builds. I did not realize that my home looked more Victorian than Colonial, I will definitely need that information for challenge #5.

Congrats to the Challenge 3 winner, all of the entries we amazing!

I do have a question about challenge #5, since we are unable to build real garages would it be possible to substitute a carport instead?

I think a carport would be fine. We have always accepted carports as a type of garage in past challenges.

Regarding the architectural style - it is not a hard and fast rule, but I think a distinguishing feature of colonials vs. victorians is the run of the major gable roofline. In a colonial, the major gable tends to run perpendicular to the front entry. Like this - http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20566602,00.html

While in a victorian, gables(when used) tend to run parallel to the entry like this - http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/victorian/Vicbarrie.jpg

Hope that helps :)
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    edited October 2014
    Carports are not really seen with colonial styles, @EEtheridge. Honestly, I'd rather do away with the garage altogether. I tried it out to see if I could mock it but the foundation tool makes it nearly impossible. Carport is just about all we can do in way of garage on TS4 right now. Otherwise, the challenge is do able.

Seriously though..... sewing? I can mock that but.... sewing?

Edit: I won't strip the main house but after the criticism on challenge 3, would it be alright for me to make slight changes accordingly?
    @celdys0n You will only be judged on the two additions to your build (and additional landscaping) for this new challenge. But I think you could make minor adjustments to the original build for cohesiveness among the 3 buildings if you want to - as long as you keep in mind that your TOTAL budget for the entire lot remains the same and that no furnishings or decor should be stripped from the main build to save on simoleans.

And old people still like to sew, right? Or are they too busy browsing Pinterest now (like my mom, lol) to break out the sewing machine :p
  • LavenderLavender Posts: 73 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 4
    FORUM ID: Lavender
    ORIGIN ID: Lavenderspirit22
    LEVEL: Beginner
    LOT: Green's Victorian
    SIM: N/A
    ROOM: N/A
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s196.photobucket.com/user/Lavenderspirit2/slideshow/buildnshare4
    ENTRY DETAILS: I, too, really struggled with this challenge. I'm getting this entry in just under the wire, and I know there are parts of it that could do with more work. Some parts I'm pretty proud of, though. Thank you for a fun and truly challenging...um...challenge. =D
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: Just one of those plumbob lamps
    @DieterPrivate Love, love, *love* your lighting! Super cool. :)
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Congratulations to all the winners named so far in Challenge #3! Fabulous builds!

As for myself... o.O Wow! Expert? Seriously? What a nice surprise to be put in this category, I'm flattered and humbled to be included alongside so many amazing builders I admire. Thank you! Thanks also for the constructive criticism and compliments on my build, very much appreciated. I can't take credit for the layered rugs though, I saw another builder do something similar and just ran with it because I thought it was such a great idea. The combination Master Bathroom/Home Gym evolved from a photo I found on Google when I did an image search on Modern Interiors. Glad you like it! :)

I already knew the three small dormers didn't quite look right thanks to @DieterPrivate pointing it out to me as well. Thanks again @DieterPrivate! In fact, I modified them to a two dormer and one dormer look and kept the one dormer because I felt it did look much better and more appropriately balanced. Which leads me to a couple questions about Challenge #5.

1. Will I need to reload the original design of my Challenge #3 entry on the lot? Or can I keep the one dormer version now on the lot and just keep track of the allotted budget for the two additional homes?
    2. I looked up the Arts and Crafts and the Coastal/Eclectic interior styles online. I noticed the Arts and Crafts style is very distinct and very doable. But, the Coastal and Eclectic looks are very different from each other and I wonder why they are put together as one style. Are we meant to try to meld the two styles together? Or are we supposed to pick one or the other for Vivian's home?
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM (please copy and past into your entry post)
    CHALLENGE #: #4
    FORUM ID:Carewren123
    ORIGIN ID:Carewren123
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Haunted Victorian
    SIM: N/A
    ROOM:N/A
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://precisebydesign.weebly.com/blog/bns-challenge-4

ENTRY DETAILS: Phew barely got this one in. Note: I didn't actually have time to finish decorating, but I was pretty proud of the building itself so I wanted to go ahead and enter. I especially like how my roof turned out.

I wanted the landscaping to look a bit overgrown. I thought it would make it look like a house belonging to a ghost :)

Price: $156,097

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: none

Edited: to add the name of the lot uploaded to the gallery.
    Post edited by Carewren123 on
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @DieterPrivate Love, love, *love* your lighting! Super cool. :)
    Thx! I did spent a lot of time on them. Never done anything with lighting before. I also found several ways to hide them, which I think is cool.
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    I already knew the three small dormers didn't quite look right thanks to @DieterPrivate pointing it out to me as well. Thanks again @DieterPrivate! In fact, I modified them to a two dormer and one dormer look and kept the one dormer because I felt it did look much better and more appropriately balanced.

You're welcome. We can only help each other to become better and give beautiful homes to the community.

• Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    Hi again, one last question. Does the builds that we enter need to be on #buildshare4 gallery. If so, how do I get my build on there, cause I don't see my ghostly manor there. :)
  • benlow11benlow11 Posts: 83 Member
    @Issabella14
    The builds/sims/rooms that we want in the buildnshare challenges should be tagged with #buildnshare and #buildnshare#(the number of the challenge here instead of the #). In order for the builds to show up under the buildnshare gallery you have to tag it in the description when you share it to the gallery. Make sure you put both the #buildnshare and #buildnshare4(5, etc) in the description of the lot. As long as you do that it should show up whenever someone searches the gallery for the buildnshare pages. Does that help?
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited October 2014
    @Issabella14 You don't really have to share your build on the gallery. If you want to do so, just add #buildnshare and #buildnshare4 to the description when you upload your build to the gallery. Make sure to use the correct spelling. In your post above you left out the n between build and share.

Edit: Didn't realize benlow11 posted just before me :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    Thank you benlow and Carewren, you guys are just awesome. :)
  • Kulthero777Kulthero777 Posts: 1,027 Member
    @celdys0n You will only be judged on the two additions to your build (and additional landscaping) for this new challenge. But I think you could make minor adjustments to the original build for cohesiveness among the 3 buildings if you want to - as long as you keep in mind that your TOTAL budget for the entire lot remains the same and that no furnishings or decor should be stripped from the main build to save on simoleans.

And old people still like to sew, right? Or are they too busy browsing Pinterest now (like my mom, lol) to break out the sewing machine :p

Just for clarification so that I don't do something unacceptable...

Does this mean it is okay to edit the original build to incorporate some changes proposed on the judges feedback as long as they aren't done as a way to increase the budget for the current challenge? I would love the opportunity to correct some of the things that were suggested!

• pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited October 2014
    For Leroy, you mean active and gloomy? There is no grumpy trait. And for Charlotte, do you mean good? I can't find a nice trait.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top