March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    Congrats to all winners and entrants for challenges 1 & 2, the participation is what makes these challenges fun! I love seeing all entries, so much variety
  • EEtheridgeEEtheridge Posts: 585 Member
    Congrats to the 1 & 2 challenge winners!!
    MyTS4Signature_zpsa6ba606a.jpg
    View my homes in the Gallery, Origin ID: EEtheridge
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    KelSimmie wrote: »
    1. And as for the spooky... I guess I just assumed since it was Ghost related and right before Halloween... and from comments others made... I could be wrong on that.

2. I'm also not sure what the brief statement of "Keep in mind that your client is a ghost with all your design choices" meant... would that be like they wouldn't need doors or something??? Or they can't pick up or interact with things??? Not really sure on that one.

1. I also assumed that. And I'm not going to change it, as I'm kinda fell in love with what I already have.
    2. That's the same thing I'm pondering about...
    edited October 2014
    Congrats to all participants and winners of Challenge 2! Love seeing all these different takes on the penthouse! Saw many nice ideas...
  • KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    No, the build does not have to be spooky! As for keeping in mind that the client is a ghost, we meant to keep in mind the time that he would have lived :)
    KelSimmie wrote: »
    1. And as for the spooky... I guess I just assumed since it was Ghost related and right before Halloween... and from comments others made... I could be wrong on that.

2. I'm also not sure what the brief statement of "Keep in mind that your client is a ghost with all your design choices" meant... would that be like they wouldn't need doors or something??? Or they can't pick up or interact with things??? Not really sure on that one.

1. I also assumed that. And I'm not going to change it, as I'm kinda fell in love with what I already have.
    2. That's the same thing I'm pondering about...

Thank you, @FaithofKaela, for the clarification!

And I think I'm with you, @DieterPrivate! I kind of want mine to be spookieish... lol But, I will keep in mind, that unless I want to stick around and train Mr. Green how to use everything in the house, to keep the technology down and work with what he would have been familiar with!

I have spent the entire day researching... researching... and more researching... looking at the history, the different styles of Victorian... I saw one quote that I liked: "Victorian style house plans are like snowflakes - no two are alike". Which, gives artistic freedom. So... I looked at many pictures to get ideas... actually sketched out an idea... don't know if it will make it in, but maybe... And I've made the decision that I'm not going to use that wonderful Victorian house back home for this challenge. I think I'm going to save that for one of my own. So... Now all these ideas are floating in my head, clogging it. I need to get something down, but it's late and I know my pills will be taking effect very soon. But, I think I'm going to go in game. Figure out which lot I'd like to use. And maybe just get a rough outline of what I'd like to accomplish.

I have to say, I really love these challenges because they stretch my limits, they make me learn new things, and I love that! I'm getting an education. The Sims has been wonderful for me, because I actually am noticing architectural details everywhere I go, as well as design details, in fact, OMG, I saw that lattice type rug today on TV! And I was like OMG, that type of rug really does exist! I had never seen one like that before. So, I'm loving this!

Okay... now to go scope out the perfect spot and get a rough outline going on! =)
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    > @allisoneg02 said:
    > Issabella14 wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Check the first page :) I was just reading over the last few challenges and am sorry I missed out on them! Sounded like a lot of fun!
    >
    > edit: didn't realize pammiechick beat me to it!! oops!

Thanks Allis, I also think this is going to be quite a challenge. Happy building everyone :D
    Oooo I went to check out TSR for anything new on objects and I found this beautiful set! I bet this can help out with challenge #4, if ya'll want to use it. Since I am done with my build, I won't be using this set this time.
    Provence Dining Room

I am loving this ability to add mods to the game without it making issues in game. TS4 is amazing in that respect, so easy now!
  • DatkidDatkid Posts: 430 Member
    Congratulations to all the winners! Those were some amazing builds! :smiley:
    Have a look at my gallery yeah? JUMANJIKID
    ap2le.gif
    edited October 2014
    OMG, I'm really having a hard time here. Normally, I build the interior and exterior together, but because of my previous Olson build, I tried to do the entire shell first, and it looks nice, but I can't seem to find the right proportions of the interior rooms and placement of my stairs. Aaaaargh, really hard. A stair, one tile width is too narrow, two tiles make me leave with lots of hallway, or a room I can't get to. Ow, wait, a ghost can get through walls, hmmm.... I hope I can figure this out in time. That leaves me a question: How do you guys build, as first the shell, or in another way?

EDIT: And if only we could place windows and doors per half tile to line them out better....
    celdys0n wrote: »
    Oooo I went to check out TSR for anything new on objects and I found this beautiful set! I bet this can help out with challenge #4, if ya'll want to use it. Since I am done with my build, I won't be using this set this time.
    Provence Dining Room

I am loving this ability to add mods to the game without it making issues in game. TS4 is amazing in that respect, so easy now!

That is a great set! I love the mirror! And the chairs rock too!

One thing I don't like though, is not being able to make the mirrors go to different heights. You can move them side to side, but not up and down. I would love to be able to place a mirror above the fireplace, but none of them are high enough to do that... Maybe they will implement the ability to move them up and down in a patch... But, I do really love that mirror!

So... are mods and CC a lot safer to use this time around (in 4)? I tried not to DL too much CC in 3... I think most of the CC I had DL'ed was clothes (a lot of clothes), a few hair styles, and a few hair colors... But, some of the hair styles were really buggy... lol But, I loved the different clothing you could get. Oh, and I worked a lot with the Create A Pattern tool. Loved that thing once I found it and learned how to use it (from the Zoo U courses on the forums). I haven't done anything with mods or CC yet with 4. Not sure what to expect. It sounds like it might be worth giving a shot this time... I guess I'm just afraid of breaking my game and not being able to play again. That would be torture! LOL
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    @DieterPrivate Since I'm almost always working from an inspirational floor plan or architectural elevation, which I acquired online, I would say shell first. Once I have the basic layout set, I go in and start to fine tune things, always keeping an eye on what the build looks like from the outside. Then, once I feel it is in a good place, I focus on finishing off the outside. The interior decorating usually comes next with the landscaping saved for last. For some reason, the evening/night-time lighting of the build and the grounds is like the icing on the cake for me.
    OMG, I'm really having a hard time here. Normally, I build the interior and exterior together, but because of my previous Olson build, I tried to do the entire shell first, and it looks nice, but I can't seem to find the right proportions of the interior rooms and placement of my stairs. Aaaaargh, really hard. A stair, one tile width is too narrow, two tiles make me leave with lots of hallway, or a room I can't get to. Ow, wait, a ghost can get through walls, hmmm.... I hope I can figure this out in time. That leaves me a question: How do you guys build, as first the shell, or in another way?

EDIT: And if only we could place windows and doors per half tile to line them out better....

I hear ya on the windows and doors! Boy would that be helpful!!!

I tend to build room by room. I select what furniture and items I want, then build the room shape around that. I usually never do the shell first. Although, it's becoming more important that I think of the shell first with these last couple of challenges, because the architecture depends on it. Sometimes though, I have a really tough time fitting things in to a shell because of the placement of the windows. I'm starting to depend more on images of whatever style of house we need to build and pictures of the interior as well. Also, I'm looking at floor plans to get a better feel of how things are laid out.

So, I used to build on room... but now... I'm building the shell first and then trying to fit everything in.
  • DatkidDatkid Posts: 430 Member

I always start out with the exterior of the house. Once it's to my liking I begin working on the interior floor plan. Sometimes I'll have plans for a certain room to be in one spot and by the time I'm done building it'll be on the other end of the house. Like in this challenge for instance, the hallway on the first floor actually started out as a second study. I realized it wouldn't really work so I switched it up. The most important thing for me when building is making sure the exterior of the house is captivating enough for others to actually want to go inside. I'm crap at landscaping, but I try. When starting with the exterior you've got to be 100% sure it's what you want/like or else you're going to run into some problems when starting the interior.
    Have a look at my gallery yeah? JUMANJIKID
    ap2le.gif
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    I always build the shell first. But I do wall of the rooms as I go. I guess since I've always done that I have a pretty good eye for how big to make the rooms without adding the furniture. Sometimes, though I do add a few pieces of furniture just as place holders so I remember what room is what.

And I really really wish we could place doors and windows by half tiles too. I always run into a spot where a wall I placed is blocking a double window or something. Then I have to switch to a single window, and then it doesn't center correctly. Being about to place them by half tiles would make it so much easier to find the right fit.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • CreepsaCreepsa Posts: 30 Member
    I'm having problems with the layout, too. Everything feels so awkward. I wish we could place diagonal stairs though, was it a thing in TS3?
  • allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    I build my shell first then I try to do the walls and flooring inside and out. Then I either landscape or start decorating rooms. Usually go with smallest to largest rooms but I also try to look up inspirational pictures so I can get ideas on furniture placement and decorations to make it look more lived in.
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member

I do the exterior first, and I know what you mean. It can be a struggle when you get to the interior and discover some awkward areas. With a modern, it's easier to just adjust your exterior design at that point, which is often what I do, but with a more traditional home, it can be tough. And especially with this one since we were required to stop at two bedrooms and three bathrooms. I would have loved to have been able to do a half bath or two and a third bedroom. However, I love my exterior way too much to change it at this point, so I've worked the interior to fit. It definitely slowed me way down!

And @Creepsa, no we didn't have diagonal stairs in TS3 either. Have we ever had them in any The Sims game? I don't know why, but they appear to be a monumental programming challenge! :p

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I usually start with the shell and then spend way too much time on the landscaping before working on the interior. I'm thinking I should start on the interior from now on though because I usually end up fiddling around trying to get everything to fit and look good with the window placements and more times than not, I end up with smaller rooms than I'd like and disappointed with the layout/decor.

I've never used blueprints or plans before, though I did look at exteriors for the Colonial challenge and Googled modern interior designs. First time I didn't just design off the top of my head and went with an actual plan. At least for the outside anyway. I have to say, It was actually a bit easier with a plan.

On a sidenote, CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners for the first two challenges! Can't wait to find out the results of the last round. :) Good luck to everyone in the current challenge too! I haven't had time to do this one. Hopefully I will for the next. :)
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    I usually start with the shell and then spend way too much time on the landscaping before working on the interior. I'm thinking I should start on the interior from now on though because I usually end up fiddling around trying to get everything to fit and look good with the window placements and more times than not, I end up with smaller rooms than I'd like and disappointed with the layout/decor.

LOL I did a bit of landscaping first on this one, and it ended up biting me in the butt because I couldn't see through the trees to see what I was doing! LOL So, all the trees were scraped. (I think I'm bouncing all over here going from building rooms first, to shell, now landscaping... which way did my brain go?! LOL)

I have the shell in place. Yes! I'm finally making headway! I figured out a good enough roof design for the turrets. It looks pretty at least... Not exact, but the best I can do with the tools we have. I'm not quite sure on some of the layout... but... there's like this totally awesome wickedly spectacular back porch I did that I really really like and I don't want to take it out. It just makes for a slightly awkward back of the house. But... it's gonna be plastered with trees back there, so no one's gonna really see it... right??? heh.... I hope... LOL
    edited October 2014
    I kind of bounce around for any build that I do. My strategy is never set to one strategy. On this build, since I found a picture of the exterior that inspired me, I started with the shell and just played with interior. For stair placement, I decided on kitchen stairwell instead of a grand staircase.

I agree with windows, doors and mirror placements. Now we just need a Guru to see this and maybe it could be do able....

Edit: I am not sure about buggy but I haven't had issue yet with CC and mods. The light mod I did have issue with but that was more cause some rooms were way too bright. Read comments, others will say issues with CC and mods so you'll know what to expect @kelsimmie
    I finished my entry for challenge for, but I won't be able to post it. :( My computer crashed and I can't get my pix posted for the slideshow. If anyone is interested in my lot it is on the exchange #buildnshare and #buildnshare4
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    That is too bad EEtheridge! Is there a possibility to hook up your internal hard drive to another pc?
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @EEtheridge, if you're unable to do it, and if the judges would allow it, maybe one of us (in a different competition bracket) who are already done with ours could set up a slideshow on your behalf? I have no idea if that would be admissible, but I hate to see someone unable to enter due to technical difficulties with posting pics.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    edited October 2014
    @Lebanna , @BryonyRae Thank you both, I thought that I had lost the pix that I took of my lot, but at some point during the week I uploaded them to Photobucket and forgot I had done it. So I will be able to enter after all. Woot! Woot! At least I didn't lose everything in the crash. Thanks again!! :D
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2014
    See? This is what I love about this thread, these challenges. Everyone is so willing to help each other out. Yes, it's a competition, but what matters most is stepping up to make sure we all have fun and have an equal chance to learn and grow together. Y'all make me smile! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top