Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    CHALLENGE #83: A Townie Home
    FORUM ID: StSciurus
    ORIGIN ID: StSciurus
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Hope Springs Eternal
    LOT COST: §2,000
    LOT NAME: Bargain Bend (30 x 20) [Note: I transferred the lot to Rustic Residence in Windenburg and uploaded it from there so that my gallery shot would look better (same price as Bargain Bend), but all the images in the slideshow were taken at Bargain Bend in Willow Creek, since that is where the house is supposed to be.]
    BUILD COST: §89,805
    TOTAL COST: §91,805
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: here

ENTRY DETAILS: Hope Springs Eternal is a mid-century modern home for Hope Potts and her dog Cleo, modeled after The Dunland houseplan. I tried to stay true to the layout adding only a window to the mechanical room, which has been turned into an art/craft room instead. Since she wanted a home that reminded her of her childhood, I also decorated the interior in a mid-century modern style using primarily shades of orange and turquoise. I included a number of things that a loner might like in her house: a computer for writing, an easel and workbench, a chess table, a pool, and a yoga/meditation area. I also gave her a vegetable garden and a nice side yard in which she can play with Cleo.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: no CC

wVfJI6W.png
    sPDcwL0.png
  • StangMix2StangMix2 Posts: 238 Member
    edited November 2017
    BUILD OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: StangMix2
    ORIGIN ID: stangmix2
    LEVEL: Starting Out
    LOT: Mid Century Modern BnS83
    LOT COST: §2.000
    LOT NAME: Garden Essence, Willow Creek
    BUILD COST: §95.644
    TOTAL COST: §97.644
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Link
    ENTRY DETAILS: I had difficulty getting the look just right for "The Dallas", which was the house plan I choose. I'm not sure the house is the correct size for the floor plan... Maybe it should have been bigger.
    I put the debug building crane in the garage, simply because I've been dying to have an excuse to size it down and use.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    079W23V.png
    gR1IUjK.png
  • FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member

Were we supposed to include a dog?!! ?
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
    Were we supposed to include a dog?!! ?

@FoundMarbles , no dog needs to be included! I am not entering the Sim challenge. I just thought Hope needed a dog since she doesn't seem to like people!

edited November 2017
    BUILD OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: FoundMarbles
    ORIGIN ID: FoundMarbles
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: The Dunland https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/3A72896ED4BA11E78C1FF93919BFDC9A?category=lots&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=FoundMarbles&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: 2000
    LOT NAME: Garden Essence
    BUILD COST: 97745
    TOTAL COST: 99745
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/uvEfs
    ENTRY DETAILS: This is copied from the "Dunland", number 3 on the web page. This seemed like a good size for a mean loner. I doubt she would be entertaining many people and clearly had, had enough of household maintenance, (“Let Hope fix it.” I am getting sick and tired...), so I gave her something simple and easy to manage with Gnomes to make life easier. For her creative side the house traits also include Home Studio and Natural Light. Given Hope's handiness, I did give her plenty to do a fishing pond, swimming pool, Bonsai tree, musical keyboard, guitar, chess, yoga mat, painting easel, and a computer of superior quality for writers. I tried to duplicate the exterior as faithfully as Sims 4 building would allow. The interior was created after a study of many interiors found in houses built in that style. What did seem clear to me is that wood paneling was all the rage in houses like the Dunland. Ceiling lighting is to one side because, true to the Dunland design the Kitchen and living area have vaulted ceilings. Sims 4 does not permit hanging lights from the second story and any attempt to do so leaves them hanging in mid air. The alternative was to leave a small partial ceiling and place a light on the opposite vaulted wall. The kitchen is laid out in a similar fashion to the floor plan in the article. I did include a kind of "pantry" and a sort of "linen closet". I would have loved a fireplace but that would put a chimney on the roof where there clearly was none in the pictures of the house. I have allowed for all possible creative pursuits because Ms. Potts expressed diverse interests. Clearly she would prefer to put her handiness to use for her own pleasure, now.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, Always
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    fuFPbxk.png
    TlzLL0X.png
    Post edited by FoundMarbles on
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
    Great job on The Dunland, @FoundMarbles ! That layout was trickier than it looks, and I had the same problem with lighting and the vaulted ceiling. I ended up using one of the industrial pendant lamps with a long attachment and then, using the lifting cheat Control-9, put it in the kitchen so that it sort of looked like it was coming from the vault above. Great idea including a separate art studio for Hope!
    edited November 2017
    Whoops, Sorry I misunderstood parameters of this challenge. Third time's the charm, right?
    edited November 2017
    @StSciurus You did just shove a closet through a wall and yes, it does still function! ...Learning something new everyday! Thank you for that enlightenment! :smiley:
    edited November 2017
    I do not know that the demand to follow the floor plan exactly is even possible, given we can not do quarter walls or proper to scale footage with the limits of Sims building codes. I do think I met the demands of this challenge, in the end.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited November 2017
    Fortunately for us, interior layout and landscaping was not dictated, we could do anything we like. As long as it did not change the exterior shell we had full freedom to place any rooms anywhere.

Hey @FoundMarbles , the instructions for this challenge were to follow the floorplan, that means including interior walls. But maybe you misunderstood the "interior is up to you" part, we meant decorating and colours to use. Sorry if that was not clear.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Fortunately for us, interior layout and landscaping was not dictated, we could do anything we like. As long as it did not change the exterior shell we had full freedom to place any rooms anywhere.

Hey @FoundMarbles , the instructions for this challenge were to follow the floorplan, that means including interior walls. But maybe you misunderstood the "interior is up to you" part, we meant decorating and colours to use. Sorry if that was not clear.

Do all those small rooms like the pantry, Linen Closet and the small closet off the living room need to be purposed in the same way and do all doors need to be in the same place as the interior layout plan?
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR #BNS82 - THE HAWTHORNE LEGACY - PART VI

Your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg

Do all those small rooms like the pantry, Linen Closet and the small closet off the living room need to be purposed in the same way and do all doors need to be in the same place as the interior layout plan?

@FoundMarbles - doors and windows need to be in the same place, but don't worry about unusable cupboards and the such like.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    Do we need a slide show for the sim if we make a combo picture? Or do you want separate ones of each outfit?
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

Pallypoo wrote: »
    Do we need a slide show for the sim if we make a combo picture? Or do you want separate ones of each outfit?

Show them off to the best of your abilities @Pallypoo :wink:
    GArBA5W.jpg

It's just that the picture hosting site I use doesn't really have a slide show feature, unless I am just overlooking it. It does have an album feature I thought I'd try that for the house I made. :)

It's just that the picture hosting site I use doesn't really have a slide show feature, unless I am just overlooking it. It does have an album feature I thought I'd try that for the house I made. :)

@Pallypoo , we call them "slideshows" but we really mean "album". We just like to have your images together in one place so that the judges can go through them one by one. Hope this helps.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    It's been so long since I have done one of these. :D I had my house done but may need to adjust it. The total cost of lot and home has to be $100,000, correct? I might need to shave some things off. :# lol

• WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Hey so here i come with a question that might have already been answered.
    So in some of the builds there are pantries and laundries and such we dont have, can i make those rooms be something else? The floorplan would still stay the same(:
    edited November 2017
    ATTENTION ESTABLISHED ENTRANTS FOR #BNS82 - THE HAWTHORNE LEGACY - PART VI

Your results are now available here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @Pallypoo - that is correct, your gallery cost needs to be added to the cost of the lot and this needs to be $100,000 or below.

@WiggleyTuff - hi hon!! Unusable areas are bit of a quandary when putting together a challenge of this type. You don't have to worry about including the unusable cupboards and pantries in your builds, as they are essentially 'wasted space'. We will update the brief with these details.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Loving everyone's entries so far, me, I'm still trying to decide which plan I want to build :lol:
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    @FaithofKaela Haha, me too!
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
    SIM ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: Pallypoo
    ORIGIN ID: Pallystyle
    HOUSEHOLD: Hope Potts
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://ibb.co/album/gOgqbF
    ENTRY DETAILS: I made hope with a curvy muscular build. I felt if she had maxed her handiness skill she would be in shape. I dressed her in a variety of colors to compliment her creative side and skin tone. She doesn't wear much make up, but likes to use it for dress up occassions. And likes to keep her everyday look simple since she never knows what she might be up to.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: sure
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    BNS83_sim.jpg

ROOM ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: Pallypoo
    ORIGIN ID: Pallystyle
    ROOM: Rustied Blue Art studio
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: pics below
    ENTRY DETAILS: Once a garage, this room is slightly more decorated than the one that is in the house. It has a few more paintings and an extra easel. It is a warm a cheery room for a painter.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: sure
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    bns83_r_1.png
    bns83_r3.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file