March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    @sawdust the way I got a match was by building in free build and noting the value before SIM testing. If you build with a builder SIM on the lot to SIM test on the fly this may not work.
  • kilra0kilra0 Posts: 644 Member
    FORUM ID & ORIGIN ID: kilra0
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: at the harbour
    LOT COST: 1,500
    LOT NAME: Lynx Catscratch Cottage
    BUILD COST: 18,380
    TOTAL COST: 19,880
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: here you go
    ENTRY DETAILS: I tried to fit a industrial looking starter to the Bridleton Bay harbour, but I wanted it to be cozy inside.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: nocc
    TWITTER TAG: kilra0
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    B1.png
    B8.png

• sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    @sawdust the way I got a match was by building in free build and noting the value before SIM testing. If you build with a builder SIM on the lot to SIM test on the fly this may not work.

I don't put a Sim on the lot until I have finished the build and am ready to test. But weird things are happening. I d/l one lot and even though I don't have the small pets stuff pack, the build cost in my library is more than the cost on the Gallery even after removing items. I'm half wondering if I'm going crazy.

As far as I know, even if you build with a Sim on the lot, when you save to the Gallery it reverts everything to original cost. Currently the house cost in my Library is $18,405 and the lot cost is $1,500 totaling $19,905 but when I place the house on the lot and you click on the Lot Info Panel the cost is $19,975, $70 more. If it cost less I would think something didn't get placed but what on earth is adding to the cost? It's driving me nuts.
    BUILD OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #101 - Five by Five

FORUM ID: sawdust
    ORIGIN ID: sawdust123
    LEVEL: established
    LOT: 101 Slayer Drive

LOT COST: $1,500
    LOT NAME: Comfy Cubby, Newcrest
    BUILD COST: $18,405
    TOTAL COST: $19,975
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slideshow
    ENTRY DETAILS: A modern build for a single gal who likes to keep in fighting shape. Has an undercover patio for all weather workouts. Please note: as well as the costing glitch I'm experiencing, the pictures show a hosta plant out front but for reasons I can't work out it will not stay put when placing the house so I have replaced it with an agave plant. Unfortunately I had already taken the pictures before realising this problem.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes thanks.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: MOO used and all pictures are mine.
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

UohqyZk.png
    0eeZrG1.png
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    sawdust wrote: »

I don't put a Sim on the lot until I have finished the build and am ready to test. But weird things are happening. I d/l one lot and even though I don't have the small pets stuff pack, the build cost in my library is more than the cost on the Gallery even after removing items. I'm half wondering if I'm going crazy.

As far as I know, even if you build with a Sim on the lot, when you save to the Gallery it reverts everything to original cost. Currently the house cost in my Library is $18,405 and the lot cost is $1,500 totaling $19,905 but when I place the house on the lot and you click on the Lot Info Panel the cost is $19,975, $70 more. If it cost less I would think something didn't get placed but what on earth is adding to the cost? It's driving me nuts.

Do you have plants or paintings or photos on the lot? maybe buy debug items. I don't know, it's happened to me before, but since I was still under budget I didn't worry too much.

Also, everyone's tiny homes are so awesome!!
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

Pallystyle wrote: »
    Do you have plants or paintings or photos on the lot? maybe buy debug items. I don't know, it's happened to me before, but since I was still under budget I didn't worry too much.

Also, everyone's tiny homes are so awesome!!

I do have photos and a couple of debug items. However I don't see why the cost should alter unless you put a Sim in the house. Technically the place is static (ie. no appreciation/depreciation) until it goes live with a Sim.
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    @sawdust I completely understand the frustration! And super cute build b.t.w ! Considering we’ve been told that depreciation does not happen in the gallery, when you hit save I understand your point that value should not change until there is a SIM on the lot. Part of my OCD Thinks I should make a build and keep separate track on the spreadsheet of every item. Scarry part is I wouldn’t put it past myself to do something like that.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Absolutely LOVE the current challenge round and all the entries so far, everyone has such adorable little homes! I'm working on an entry too, but I have a couple questions. We have 25 tiles of liveable space to work with, I understand this includes tiles on any additional levels other than the first/ground level, if we choose to have one.

First question is, if we do have a second story, do the tiles used for the staircase count as liveable space if they are put inside the home? Or can we use additional tiles to make up the 25 total elsewhere? For instance, my staircase to the second story uses 5 tiles and I've counted them as part of the 18 tiles I have on the first floor and 7 tiles on the second floor for a total of 25.

But, if the staircase doesn't count as liveable space, that would mean I still have 5 tiles to use in my build. Also, I'm trying to avoid putting the staircase outside leading up to the bedroom, but if I were to do that would those five tiles used for the staircase count as part of my 25 tiles of liveable space? Or are staircases outside a sort've 'freebie' in this case?

In the Mini Micro House Challenge, staircases are allowed outside as part of the 'landscaping.' But, this isn't that challenge so I thought I should ask for clarification before continuing with my build since I might have to make some major changes depending on the answer. Thank you! :)
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    @sawdust - we've noticed strange things happening with lot costs recently, we have little control over how the game works, so the gallery cost is still what we'll look at when checking how you did against the budget. We have no clue as to why this happens, but, if you have any harvestables on the lot, make sure they are harvested as this we know increases the lot cost.

@Karababy52 - the staircase inside would count within the 25 squares, not so much outside ;)

GArBA5W.jpg
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited August 2018
    @Karababy52 - the staircase inside would count within the 25 squares, not so much outside ;)

Okay, thanks for the clarification! That makes sense since we can actually put some useable things underneath the staircase. I've actually ended up doing that. I just need to playtest to make sure it's accessible now. If it's not, might put the staircase outside or just build on one story instead. I like how my build is now though, so crossing my fingers it works out as is. :)
  • SILVIAEGIGIZINISILVIAEGIGIZINI Posts: 294 Member
    FORUM ID: SILVIAEGIGIZINI
    ORIGIN ID: PAFFY85
    LEVEL: Starting out
    LOT: https://www.ea.com/it-it/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/CA4744119FB211E8812D88F9CE25A5CF?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=paffy85&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: 1500
    LOT NAME: "Alcova della quercia" in New Crest
    BUILD COST: 28076?? ---> why? <---
    TOTAL COST: 18744
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/gallery/K6gfuUO
    ENTRY DETAILS: I wanted to create something eccentric and fun, so I chose bright colors and the shape of a high-heeled shoe.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, thanks.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC - Paintings by @TizianaBando
    TWITTER TAG: /
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: /
    TUMBLR LINK: https://ts4-paffy85.tumblr.com/
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    Yys4hWk.jpg
    9jpwOBg.jpg

I meant that I like all your buildings. you are very good and encourage me to do even better. :)
    edited August 2018
    FORUM ID: SILVIAEGIGIZINI
    ORIGIN ID: PAFFY85
    LEVEL: Starting out
    LOT: https://www.ea.com/it-it/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/CA4744119FB211E8812D88F9CE25A5CF?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=paffy85&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: 1500
    LOT NAME: "Alcova della quercia" in New Crest
    BUILD COST: 28076?? ---> why? <---
    TOTAL COST: 18744
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/gallery/K6gfuUO
    ENTRY DETAILS: I wanted to create something eccentric and fun, so I chose bright colors and the shape of a high-heeled shoe.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, thanks.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC - Paintings by @TizianaBando
    TWITTER TAG: /
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: /
    TUMBLR LINK: https://ts4-paffy85.tumblr.com/
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    Yys4hWk.jpg
    9jpwOBg.jpg

I meant that I like all your buildings. you are very good and encourage me to do even better. :)

According to the gallery @SILVIAEGIGIZINI, your build cost (cost of your build on the gallery) is §18.744, and the lot in Newcrest costs §1,500. Which makes your total build cost §20,244, therefore you are §244 over budget at present. I am unsure where you got the 28,076 number from?!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Kn8T1hZ.jpg

I took a screenshot. in any case seen the exceeding of the budget, I'm out of competition, patience, next time I'll be more careful. Thanks for the attention. :)
    @SILVIAEGIGIZINI could it be the paintings? have you tried removing them and checking the cost? I wonder if that is what is making things go up. Maybe it only counts them once the lot is placed? It is very strange.

@Pallystyle
    you were right! from the screenshots it is clear: 2232 + 2380 + 3220 = 7832 added to 20.244 = 28076. At least the mystery is solved, Watson, LoL
    keEHGVR.jpg
    p23EIRv.jpg
    WlJDvpK.jpg
    ND9vwQa.jpg

I conclude that for budgetary challenges I will no longer use frameworks downloaded from the gallery :(:|:#
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,209 Member
    @Pallystyle
    you were right! from the screenshots it is clear: 2232 + 2380 + 3220 = 7832 added to 20.244 = 28076. At least the mystery is solved, Watson, LoL
    keEHGVR.jpg
    p23EIRv.jpg
    WlJDvpK.jpg
    ND9vwQa.jpg

I conclude that for budgetary challenges I will no longer use frameworks downloaded from the gallery :(:|:#

At least not trhee of them, when the budget's that low! Or you only use them after checking the value.
    image.png
    @Pallystyle
    *snipped out pics*

Thanks for checking! That will help me be more thoughtful in the future too.

@SILVIAEGIGIZINI and @Pallystyle and to anyone else concerned with costings and Build'n'Share. The only way we have of keeping an eye on the cost of your builds is via the gallery cost, as we do not download your creations to judge them, this is why this is the only costing that we are concerned with. We do not download your builds to judge them. As such, we will be changing the wording on our entry form to reflect this.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,624 Member
    edited August 2018
    FORUM ID: SoulGal7
    ORIGIN ID: SoulGal7
    LOT: Southwestern Starter
    LOT COST: $1,500
    LOT NAME: Nookstone, Oasis Springs
    GALLERY COST: $18,500
    TOTAL COST: $20,000
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Here it is

ENTRY DETAILS: Southwestern Starter is a little Spanish-style home in the desert, which has been specifically built to ward off the creatures of the night. The main house is a split-level with a walled patio out front. Here, Faith can enjoy playing a game of Don't Wake the Llama with friends. To guard against any vampires, a garlic-scented mirror has been placed inside the front door. Once inside there is an open-concept living room, reading nook, bedroom and a private bathroom. A small flight of stairs leads to the sunken kitchen, which separates the main area from the cooking area. A side door, convenient to the kitchen, leads to an outdoor terrace dining area shaded by overhead rafters. There is also a stereo and tv in this area. Heading out back is a circular patio shaded by palm trees. In the back left-hand side, there is a garden planter planted with onions (I don't have the vampire pack, so let's pretend it's garlic), a woodworking table in the center (for crafting all those wooden stakes) and a punching bag on the right for Faith to keep in shape. A small flower garden and fountain (filled with holy water) frame the back wall. In the right-hand corner, there is also a bonfire. To stay refreshed in the heat, there is a small swimming pool near the outdoor eating area. This is truly the ideal world and house to keep Faith safe.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, thank you.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No cc, debug items and MOO
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

southwestern_starter.png

another_shot.png
    Post edited by SoulGal7 on
    I did work out why the cost difference. It seems the cost of the 7 photos I have in the build is not counted in the Gallery/Library. Not until you place the build in game is the cost included.
    fcuRqPI.png

Attention Starting Out Entrants for #BNS100 – Oceanside Resort - Your results are now available here.
    3gHHX7s.png

GArBA5W.jpg
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited August 2018
    FORUM ID: gmcrozier
    ORIGIN ID: gmcrozier
    LOT: 815 Starter Way
    LOT COST: 1,500
    LOT NAME: Nookstone, Oasis Springs
    GALLERY COST: 18,499
    TOTAL COST: 19,999
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slideshow
    ENTRY DETAILS: 815 Starter Way is a modern micro home. The interior uses bright colors to keep the mood cheerful and has a skylight to provide lots of natural lighting. Inside you will find a bookcase, computer, TV and stereo. Outside you will find a pool, a chess table under the mesquite tree and a raised planter box, where Faith can plant some garlic plants. I chose to do a natural landscaping to blend in with the neighborhood.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    gSGjpMT.png
    8YjQ9v6.png
    sawdust wrote: »
    I did work out why the cost difference. It seems the cost of the 7 photos I have in the build is not counted in the Gallery/Library. Not until you place the build in game is the cost included.

As previously mentioned, Build'n'Share does not take costings that take place once your build is placed into consideration. But it's great that you've figured it out @sawdust :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited August 2018
    Huge congrats to @WrathofCath on your Maxis Fav for Inn By The Sea

Bk1DKqG.png
    GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top