Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• PinkusfamilyPinkusfamily Posts: 587 Member
    In the description, It says " open living area" does that mean like a shared living room between the duplex ?

Thanks,
    Diane Pinkus
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    @FaithofKaela ! *waves hi* <3

@Pinkusfamily Not a living area shared between the two duplexes, but more of an open concept design (as opposed to walled off living/dining/kitchen areas) within the duplexes.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,223 Member
    edited January 2019
    I forgot the 'open concept' part. Might have to do a little rearranging of my plan. I had to build a couple of wall sections to support the fireplace in mine. And there's a staircase on the other side of it.
    image.png
    SimTresa wrote: »
    I forgot the 'open concept' part. Might have to do a little rearranging of my plan. I had to build a couple of wall sections to support the fireplace in mine. And there's a staircase on the other side of it.

Open concept doesn't mean NO walls. It just means the basic shared public rooms like kitchen/dining/living aren't totally walled off like they were in older styles. Support walls for things like fireplaces and staircases are totally acceptable. And walled rooms like bedrooms, studies, laundries, etc. are, too.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    SimTresa wrote: »

Open concept doesn't mean NO walls. It just means the basic shared public rooms like kitchen/dining/living aren't totally walled off like they were in older styles. Support walls for things like fireplaces and staircases are totally acceptable. And walled rooms like bedrooms, studies, laundries, etc. are, too.

Okay, thanks.
    image.png
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    round 1: $191660, so start again
    Should we ask for a bigger budget? I used over half of mine already and I'm not even close to finishing furnishing one side or even really doing much with the backyard.
    image.png
    edited January 2019
    I like a challenge ;-) So I'm going to try again @SimTresa I posted what not to do on my gallery because it's a pretty decent build if you want to check it out,.
    I like a challenge ;-) So I'm going to try again @SimTresa I posted what not to do on my gallery because it's a pretty decent build if you want to check it out,.

Think I will. I do have some changes in mind. Most of what's there now I put to test if what I had in mind would work.
    image.png
  • MelissaLiMelissaLi Posts: 20 Member
    I can't wait to see the cool submissions!!
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

yeye
  • Valuzza90Valuzza90 Posts: 208 Member
    This is a wonderful challenge! (^_^)
  • PiratePirate Posts: 66 Member
    hey BnS it's been awhile! Comin back from Hiatus. Came straight to your page to dust the cobwebs off. Excited to jump right in. My question is is where do I find the link to my gallery entry and oh! how and where do i create a slideshow and where do i post it to get a link? This is my first time attempting to complete an entry form.
  • PinkusfamilyPinkusfamily Posts: 587 Member
    @Pirate if you go to Page 1 of this forum feed, read everything. There maybe some answers to your questions there.

Good Luck,
    Diane Pinkus
  • SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    edited January 2019
    This was a fun challenge, finished the build with $75 to spare. XD The landscaping is a bit bare for the size of their lot (30x40) but that also gives more room for their party guests to wander/dance/fight/etc. XP I'm playtesting right now; I'm pretty confident everything is accessible (I made minimal use of MOO) but it'll give me a chance to get photos for the write-up, too. <3

It took me all of 0.003 seconds to lose track of which one was Freya and which one was Phoebe, so this should be a fun write-up, especially since they both want to do the same things at the same time (mix drinks, use the bathroom, etc.). XP

ETA: Seriously, though, these two. XP They each slept in their own bed, in their own half of the duplex, then got up in the morning, went to their own fridge and got leftover fruitcake out, then the one sister went next door to her sister's place so they could sit on the couch and watch TV together (they both have the same couch and same TV the same distance from their kitchen, so that wasn't the issue) while they ate fruitcake for breakfast. :neutral: WHAT. LOL

mB9mVII.jpg
  • sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    Does the $120,000 include the cost of the land? I'm struggling to build 2 x 3 bedroom homes with a pool for under the budget. :#
  • AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    @13Vader Congratulations on your Maxis Fav for the Albatross! Well deserved!!! <3:)
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
    sawdust wrote: »
    Does the $120,000 include the cost of the land? I'm struggling to build 2 x 3 bedroom homes with a pool for under the budget. :#

Yes, build cost includes land! A trick I've used in the past for staying under budget is to get creative with yard space so the build fits on a smaller lot. It doesn't give a SUPER lot of wiggle room, but often enough for a few more plants or decor.
    edited January 2019
    Pirate wrote: »
    hey BnS it's been awhile! Comin back from Hiatus. Came straight to your page to dust the cobwebs off. Excited to jump right in. My question is is where do I find the link to my gallery entry and oh! how and where do i create a slideshow and where do i post it to get a link? This is my first time attempting to complete an entry form.

Welcome back! You can find the link to your gallery entry by searching for your build on the online gallery and copy/pasting the URL from there. I'd suggest Imgur for hosting your photos. Create an album and upload your photos to it. Inside your album there's a spot to copy your link. Let us know if you run into trouble and need more help :)

Unless specified in the brief, you do need to factor the land cost into the 120,000 budget. Try to build a little smaller, use less expensive furnishings, choose a smaller lot include a smaller pool etc. to bring down your cost.
    Allears wrote: »
    @13Vader Congratulations on your Maxis Fav for the Albatross! Well deserved!!! <3:)

Yes! Big congrats on the Fave, @13Vader ! That's your 2nd on a BnS entry, if I'm not mistaken?
    GArBA5W.jpg

Unless specified in the brief, you do need to factor the land cost into the 120,000 budget. Try to build a little smaller, use less expensive furnishings, choose a smaller lot include a smaller pool etc. to bring down your cost.

This reminded me of something else I use as a build technique! There are a LOT of ugly and uncomfortable items in the "cheap" category - but when I need to dial back cost on, for example, a chair, I start comparing mid-range items. Often, when you look at their stats and color options, you can find styles that are similar in tone or color, but one has a "comfort" level of 5 and another of 3, with the 5 being rather expensive in comparison. Sacrificing a small style difference and a small comfort level for significant cost savings has saved me a ton overall, especially when it's on multiple items, such as dining room sets.

That said, I wish there were more default color options for counters and cabinets. D: I don't use mods or CC because my game barely runs as it is, and some of the kitchen sets are fine in style but 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in color. ^^;
  • 13Vader13Vader Posts: 178 Member
    Thank you @Allears! And, yes @BuildnShare this is my second fave with a lot in these challenges. I got two others with households, so this is my fourth counting all my entries here! :)<3
  • sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    Done all those things. Can't shrink the place anymore. I'll just give it a miss. If I get inspired I might try another but this one will just end up looking bare and cheap. :)
    congratulations @13Vader on your Maxis fav!

I understand how you feel @sawdust I finished my second one at 119999. It is a budget build! I realized I was without bedroom curtains in 3 of the four bedrooms on the main floors. This is a no go for street facing windows at eye level but I'm not going to poke this hornet's nest anymore and just say the girls will need to buy curtains themselves. I will try not to be too wistful of my first attempt at 70k over which is what I meant to do in terms of detailing and style.
    Eeeee! I got excited while typing replies to this thread, and I made a second build. :D Now to play test, to see which I like better! <3
    Hmm...was editing my previous comment, and apparently it got eaten. :( I forgot to ask before - if my duplex is two units that are mirror images of each other, do I have to photograph all the rooms, or can I just photograph one unit in full and have the overheads of each floor show how they're mirrored?
    Hmm...was editing my previous comment, and apparently it got eaten. :( I forgot to ask before - if my duplex is two units that are mirror images of each other, do I have to photograph all the rooms, or can I just photograph one unit in full and have the overheads of each floor show how they're mirrored?

Good question.
    image.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top