Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    FORUM ID: AfterMidnight
    ORIGIN ID: AfterMidnight13
    LEVEL: This is my first entry! c:
    LOT: Inconspicuous Bunker
    LOT COST: 2,000
    LOT NAME: Sandtrap Flat
    GALLERY COST: 147,525
    TOTAL COST: 149,525
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Here
    ENTRY DETAILS: What vampire in their right mind would choose to live in the middle of the desert? It's hot during the day, biting at night, and if you catch yourself in a mirage, you might mistake a cactus for a human and wind up with an unfortunate visit to the ER. But, on the other hand, it's not the first place a hunter would think to look for vampire-related activity, so you might be safer here than you think. Combine that with an old ugly bunker that serves only as an eyesore to the people of Oasis Springs, and you've got yourself an adequate lair for all your nocturnal needs.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Sure!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None, but I do have a lighting mod installed, so my game might look a little different.
    TWITTER TAG: N/A
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: N/A
    TUMBLR LINK: N/A
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)
    o7EAZyi.png
    61Vs6OX.png
  • TonyWGusTonyWGus Posts: 8 New Member
    > @SimTresa said:
    > Here you go, @TonyWGus
    >
    THANKS @SimTresa
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    TonyWGus wrote: »
    > @SimTresa said:
    > Here you go, @TonyWGus
    >
    THANKS @SimTresa

You're welcome.
    image.png
  • soloushensoloushen Posts: 41 Member
    edited October 2018
    BUILD OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: Soloushen
    ORIGIN ID: Woofhoof
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Mr Seth's Hideaway
    LOT COST: £2000
    LOT NAME: Mr Seth’s Hideaway (Hindquarter Hideaway)
    GALLERY COST: £144, 736
    TOTAL COST: £146, 736
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/gallery/wziL378
    ENTRY DETAILS: A secluded spot in Brindleton Bay seemed the perfect place to house Mr Seth’s unusual request for an entirely subterranean home. For a man who likes his privacy, there’s certainly plenty of it. A good sturdy fence surrounds the property and of course no windows. The entertaining space is a marvel, with mood lighting and plenty of space to enjoy art and drink. A little extra surprise awaits… a hidden crypt as he did say he was dead after all! (That’s not something you want to advertise really!)
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

yjQX7J4.png
    0mOkLav.png

• RachelShennanRachelShennan Posts: 163 Member
    edited October 2018
    CHALLENGE #105 -LIFE AFTER LIFE
    FORUM ID: RachelShennan
    ORIGIN ID: RachelShennan
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: https://tinyurl.com/ycggakqn
    LOT COST: $2,000
    LOT NAME: Hindquarter Hideaway
    GALLERY COST: $145,776
    TOTAL COST: $147,676
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://simmershen.blogspot.com/2018/10/bns-105-life-after-life-subterranean.html
    ENTRY DETAILS: I wanted a luxurious feel with both modern and traditional styles. I wanted to keep it mainly neutral so that it was nice and bright throughout. I also added in an 'indoor outdoor' room, giving the feel of a garden whilst being inside. Keeping it neutral also means you get the wow factor when entering the exclusive room for entertaining, which is furnished with deep reds and cream furniture.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:

10-24-18_10-57-42%25C2%25A0PM.png

10-24-18_11-02-16%25C2%25A0PM.png
  • CJSimmieCJSimmie Posts: 310 Member
    SIM ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #105 -LIFE AFTER LIFE[/b]
    FORUM ID: CaramelLibra29
    ORIGIN ID: CaramelLibra29
    LEVEL: Expert
    HOUSEHOLD: Household
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slidshow Here
    ENTRY DETAILS: Mr.Seth has finally made it to Grand Master! He is also now a member of The Simternational Grand Master Club. Which includes monthly meetings and hosting the GRAND Vampire Ball...Seth hopes to one day become the President...if the current one ever dies.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A
    TWITTER TAG: CaramelLibra29
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    ERdZLfb.png
    8pyepe4.png
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    5nd1sli.png
    ````````
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited October 2018
    o5f7jo6.jpg

“Mrs. Fisher is here,” Karl says over your intercom. You thank him and ask to have her come in, rising to greet her when she does.

“I’m so glad you could make time for me,” she says, taking your hand and giving a firm shake.

“I’m always happy to help the small-business people of the town,” you say, being one yourself. “What are your plans?”

She sits and sets her briefcase down. “I want to put a four-to-six-unit retail building for local small businesses to get their products to a wide-array of customers. I am very interested in helping small entrepreneurs to realize their dreams. I already have a lot that I own for this purpose, so that won't be part of the expense.”

You can certainly appreciate that. “Do you know which businesses those will be yet?”

She opens her briefcase and takes out several folders. “No. I have a number of applications here, but I have not finalized them. The units will need to be fairly generic, nothing crazy, these will have to be rentable to a variety businesses.”

“That should be easy to do. Do you want each to have its own storefront, or more of a small mall with a common court?”

“I am not good with design, so I’ll leave that to you.”

Well, that is your job, but it always makes you a little nervous when the customer isn’t really sure what they want, it makes it more guess-work on your end.

“There should be some parking or bike racks for customers to use,” Mrs. Fisher adds after a moment. “Restrooms. Some landscaping to draw the eye; people should want to come here.”

You finish writing it down. “That shouldn’t be a problem. I think you can expect your building by the end of the month. All you need to do pick your renters.”

“I am so happy I picked you for my architect,” Mrs. Fisher said. “I think we will get along quite well.”

You smile, hoping that’s true.

vPz5U5r.png
    • 90K budget (lot is being donated, so you don't have to count that in the cost)
    • Design a commercial lot with between four and six retail spaces.
    • Provide landscaping, parking or bike racks, and public restrooms.
    • For judging purposes, ensure a variety of picture which do not include the optional challenge are available

Room Challenge:
    Show the ground floor of one of the businesses which has rented a space. As this is the optional challenge, the representational business does not need to fit within the budget scope.

Sim Challenge:
    Create the owner of one of the rented spaces and show him/her in their business.

Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    I've been playing with the idea of building a shop for an existing sim. Would it be all right if I fleshed out that idea and used my sim for the challenge?
    image.png
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited October 2018
    Okay, so I went from two stories down to one, made a smaller mall, and I am still having trouble with the budget. Has anyone else started? Anyone else having trouble with the tiny budget? I want everything to look nice, but I am by no means using the most expensive items.

Question about the requirements: Are we supposed to supply more then a check-out counter and register? There are absolutely no details in the scenario to tell me what the stores should be supplied with. Thanks!

Post edited by iampes23 on
  • SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    iampes23 wrote: »
    Okay, so I went from two stories down to one, made a smaller mall, and I am still having trouble with the budget. Has anyone else started? Anyone else having trouble with the tiny budget? I want everything to look nice, but I am by no means using the most expensive items.

Question about the requirements: Are we supposed to supply more then a check-out counter and register? There are absolutely no details in the scenario to tell me what the stores should be supplied with. Thanks!

How big are you making the stores' footprints? Small businesses rarely need the kind of space you see in large retail stores, specialty stores, or even malls (this is part of the reason malls are dying; their rent is expensive anyway, but small businesses cannot justify the cost of rent when they consider how little space they actually need).

The last small business I worked for was in a space that was probably 12' x 50', and half of that was office/storage/employee lounge. Your stock tends to be very low for the first couple years, sometimes longer, until you build a steady customer base.
    edited October 2018

How big are you making the stores' footprints? Small businesses rarely need the kind of space you see in large retail stores, specialty stores, or even malls (this is part of the reason malls are dying; their rent is expensive anyway, but small businesses cannot justify the cost of rent when they consider how little space they actually need).

The last small business I worked for was in a space that was probably 12' x 50', and half of that was office/storage/employee lounge. Your stock tends to be very low for the first couple years, sometimes longer, until you build a steady customer base.

I started out on a 40x30 lot with the bigger stores being 13x7, then down to 11x7, then 9x7 I think. I am on build number 3 with the end stores being 9x6 and the inner stores being 6x6. The public facilities are squashed into a 9x4 area. And I downsized this time to a 30x20 lot, but only 4 parking spaces. I am trying to add displays this time, because I don't know if they are required or not. Does it still sound too big to you? Thanks for the help!!

I was not even doing stock rooms or employee lounges...

Post edited by iampes23 on

I started out on a 40x30 lot with the bigger stores being 13x7, then down to 11x7, then 9x7 I think. I am on build number 3 with the end stores being 9x6 and the inner stores being 6x6. The public facilities are squashed into a 9x4 area. And I downsized this time to a 30x20 lot, but only 4 parking spaces. I am trying to add displays this time, because I don't know if they are required or not. Does it still sound too big to you? Thanks for the help!!

I was not even doing stock rooms or employee lounges...

Hmm...I'm just about to start my attempt. I'll let you know how it goes! (FWIW, empty stores rarely have their own displays, unless the building owner was very generous with built-ins. The glass shelves, clothing display racks, bookshelves, etc tend to all belong to the store and come and go with the store owners.)

Hmm...I'm just about to start my attempt. I'll let you know how it goes! (FWIW, empty stores rarely have their own displays, unless the building owner was very generous with built-ins. The glass shelves, clothing display racks, bookshelves, etc tend to all belong to the store and come and go with the store owners.)

Okay, if I take the displays out, maybe I can squeeze in some stock rooms...Thanks again!!

Okay, if I take the displays out, maybe I can squeeze in some stock rooms...Thanks again!!

No prob! I'm a small business owner who is well-acquainted with the troubles of searching for affordable commercial space. It'll be interesting to see how I do on this challenge. :sweat_smile:
  • RachelShennanRachelShennan Posts: 163 Member
    SimTresa wrote: »
    @SimTresa !!Thank You!!

You're welcome! Also, I know there's a keyboard shortcut for zooming in and out, but I always forget it and end up using my mouse. :)

I set my camera to Sims 3 mode and I can zoom in + out using the wheel of my mouse and also can rotate the screen by holding down the wheel of the mouse! (if that's of any help, just offering another alternative :))
    @SimTresa !!Thank You!!

You're welcome! Also, I know there's a keyboard shortcut for zooming in and out, but I always forget it and end up using my mouse. :)

I set my camera to Sims 3 mode and I can zoom in + out using the wheel of my mouse and also can rotate the screen by holding down the wheel of the mouse! (if that's of any help, just offering another alternative :))

Yep, the wheel works in the Sims 4 camera too.
    image.png
    I've been playing with the idea of building a shop for an existing sim. Would it be all right if I fleshed out that idea and used my sim for the challenge?

Absolutely :)
    GArBA5W.jpg

The reason for the smallish budget is because this is essentially a shell with landscaping. You are leaving the interiors for the clients to furnish for the most part unless you choose to do the room challenge. For the room, there is no budget this time.
    GArBA5W.jpg

Absolutely :)

Thanks.
    image.png
  • TinkPlaysTinkPlays Posts: 80 Member
    Are we still having to count the lot cost in the 60k budget this time around?
    edited October 2018
    TinkPlays wrote: »
    Are we still having to count the lot cost in the 60k budget this time around?

We've updated the challenge to reflect that the client already owns the lot, so lot cost is not part of the 60k budget for this one. Hope that helps :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    That helps a lot :D Thought I'd ask and try my luck Ha ha. Thank you
    Just to let you know that the entry forms still list the last challenge number and title
    Just to let you know that the entry forms still list the last challenge number and title

Thanks @TinkPlays We've fixed it now :)
    That helps a lot :D Thought I'd ask and try my luck Ha ha. Thank you

:D

GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top