Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• KementariKementari Posts: 925 Member
    edited August 2015
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 25

FORUM ID: Kementari
    ORIGIN ID: Kementari1771
    LEVEL: Expert

LOT: Classic Contemporary
    LOT COST: 3.000
    BUILD COST: 272.093
    TOTAL COST: 275.093
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://simplicitysims.blogspot.com/2015/08/classic-contemporary.html

ENTRY DETAILS:
    I chose the Spirit Bloom Bundles as my inspiration object. I get the feeling of Classical but Contemporary and Elegant when I look at this plant.
    I also tried to implement the dark and pale contrast throughout the home. (I don't think I succeeded very well though lol)

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC, Move Objects and Debug were used.

SPACE FOR PICTURES

inspiration.jpg

front4.jpg

When i looked for it on the gallery it is coming up as being created by KittKat7147. How do I change that to show its by me? lol I see that a few people managed to do it I am just so new to uploading on TS4 I am not sure how to go about it.
  • mommataurus2mommataurus2 Posts: 1,845 Member
    @Kementari I really love your color scheme of your build. Where did you find those flowers?! I love them.
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Check out my showcase.Come Check Out My New Sims Blog! https://greetingsfromwindenburg.wordpress.com/

Big shout out to @Cbear13 the amazingly talented and ever wonderful creator of my siggie!

• KementariKementari Posts: 925 Member
    @mommataurus2 Thank you :)

They came with the Cool Kitchen Stuff Pack.
    Oh @Kementari Say it isn't so! Please don't give me a reason to buy that thing....Sims is making me broke. lol
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Check out my showcase.Come Check Out My New Sims Blog! https://greetingsfromwindenburg.wordpress.com/

Big shout out to @Cbear13 the amazingly talented and ever wonderful creator of my siggie!

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Challenge #25 is officially closed. We hope you'll join us for #26 :)
    Cbear13 wrote: »
    Is there a specific lot size for the new challenge? @BuildnShare

No lot requirements other than it should be scenic and secluded.
    @BuildnShare For challenge 26-The Novelist
    Can you just do the Room only? What would be the budget for the library as a Room on its own? Hopefully more than 5K because the best computer is 10k alone.

I'll work on a budget for the room only after work today.

GArBA5W.jpg
    @Issabella14 I am jealous of your terrain painting techniques and rounded gardens. Asian styled homes are so difficult to pull off with the current game content but your build is done really well. :)

Everyone's homes are beautiful. I don't know how the judges will decide.
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

• Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    @Issabella14 I am jealous of your terrain painting techniques and rounded gardens. Asian styled homes are so difficult to pull off with the current game content but your build is done really well. :)

Everyone's homes are beautiful. I don't know how the judges will decide.

Thanks @mommataurus2, your support is much appreciated. :)
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    @Rostri-Jodu , wow your build is just sooooo amazing. Well done <3:)

Very kind of you to say, Issabella! It's gonna be interesting to see how this round plays out. There are so many awesome and unique builds.

I am having such a hard time doing "oppulence" with the criteria required for this budget. I am at 86k without any decorative items in the house....
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Ok here is my unofficial entry. This build ended up being 13,000 over budget and I forgot a bedroom! However it was built with dear Fire's needs in consideration and I actually built in Deep Wood in Granite Falls so she could have total seclusion from everyone. But it showed up as a generic lot so moved it to Willow Creek. Anyway such a shame to put so much time into a build and not be able to submit. :(

Atleast it's in my gallery though.
    Build name: Oppulent Seclusion
    Link: thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/702D699C4E1411E58080D1544B5B0F56?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=mommataurus2&max=50&maxis=false
    00.jpg
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

It looks beautiful, @mommataurus2 ! Maybe you can scale it back a bit for the challenge? Focus just on the main building and make it a bit smaller? Fire only requires two bedrooms and would like "luxurious" (read upscale and classy) surroundings, but not necessarily opulence.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Attention Expert Entrants for Challenge #24 - Mr. McGregor's Farm

Your results are available HERE.

GArBA5W.jpg
    I haven't had a chance to look at this challenge today or my build. But I will take a look tomorrow and see what I can do to scale it down a little so I can atleast afford to put the extra bedroom.
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Thanks @BuildnShare for the great review :)
    edited August 2015
    Well this is as close as I can get. I met budget with upload cost....but not with lot included. :(

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 26 - The Novelist
    FORUM ID: Mommataurus2
    ORIGIN ID: Mommataurus2
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Opulent Seclusion
    COST: 3,000
    BUILD COST: 74,438
    TOTAL COST: 77,454
    Link to Gallery: thesims.com/gallery/573A66044F3A11E58EFB2610A2CDE195?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=mommataurus2&max=50&maxis=false
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: kizoa.com/Video-Maker/d24462290k6453573o1l1/fire-bloodclaw
    ENTRY DETAILS: I was inspired by the Pool design which I found on Pinterest. I loved the shape of the pool and the over the top indulgence of the look. ALSO I am absolutely in LOVE with the LUXE DRINK TRAY from the Spa Pack! I love how my sims can now have a drink in any room of the house!

SIM: n/a
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW:N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS: N/A

ROOM: N/A
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS: N/A

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Sure
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: NOCC or Recolors

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

NI0XoZl.png
    2GLRV4U.png
    Post edited by mommataurus2 on
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

• kezflakekezflake Posts: 124 Member
    edited August 2015
    @mommataurus2 Lovely, Lovely Lot i can't wait to see the updated version. There must be something about this challenge I too found myself going 'a little' over budget. Almost 75k lol
    If I do decide to submit as a valid entry there will be a lot of scaling back to do, if not starting from scratch even. Height will be the first I change.

Anyway as like you say it's a shame not to share so this is my lot.
    Download from gallery
    CNrVyaoWoAA7pnc.png

@kezflake I love it!
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

@mommataurus2 we must have been posting at the same time :smiley: . Looks great and it has a real dramatic feel, I sure got the dramatic vibe from Fire. Fab avatar makeover too
  • KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    kezflake wrote: »
    @mommataurus2 Lovely, Lovely Lot i can't wait to see the updated version. There must be something about this challenge I too found myself going 'a little' over budget. Almost 75k lol
    If I do decide to submit as a valid entry there will be a lot of scaling back to do, if not starting from scratch even. Height will be the first I change.

Yay, @mommataurus2 - glad you were able to modify your entry to meet the requirements :)

So pretty, @kezflake ! <3 It's fantastically elegant, just like Fire would want. I hope that you can downsize it to fit the budget and make an official entry.

So, after seeing that people were struggling with this, I decided to tackle it myself. (I wanted to make sure we weren't unnecessarily torturing people, lol). I went for a rustic/modern design which I feel is both current and luxurious and would fit the required style Fire is looking for. I've done some minimal vegetation landscaping and fenced in the entire yard for privacy, adding a small pool in the back and a fountain out front. I chose a lot in Willow Creek that is not *totally* secluded, but it does have a beautiful view of the park and river, and the tall fencing I added creates a feeling of seclusion. I've added all the finishings - flooring, siding, wallpaper, roof, trim, doors, windows, etc. The home is 2BR/2BA - master suite with adjoining writer's study downstairs and loft bedroom suite upstairs. I've added all the basic furnishings, plumbing, lighting, electronics, and appliances for all rooms. I even splurged for the glass front refrigerator and upgraded stove (although those will probably be sacrificed when I get down to the last $100 and need just one more rug or plant, lol). I'm currently at $60,145, which leaves me almost $20,000 for interior and exterior decorations (rugs, flowers, pictures, extra tables/lamps and clutter, etc.). Yes, $20,000 rather than 15,000 because I'm definitely going to enter the room challenge to get the extra $5000 for the study - chaCHING :D

My tips for completing this build within the budget:
    • First and foremost, START SMALL. Include space for just the requirements. You can always enlarge if you have the budget (I love that Sims 4 makes this so much easier than Sims 3 did!)
    • Second, luxury/elegance doesn't have to break the bank. Just because Fire has good taste doesn't mean that you have to choose the most expensive furnishings in each category. Often, the most expensive items are not the most beautiful or elegant (Princess Cordelia, I'm looking at you B) ).
    • Third, remember that is a DESIGN/ARCHITECTURE/LANDSCAPING challenge. You won't get extra points for including every single thing a sim can possibly do unless it's mentioned in the brief. Pour your money into the important areas and leave room for adding "fluff" objects as the family that eventually lives there gains more money in their bank account.
    • Fourth, if you get close to the end of your budget and find yourself running out of money, start by shrinking your rooms. Often you can get by with much less space than you originally planned for.
    • Fifth, after shrinking, see if you can achieve a similar look with less expensive items. Beds, appliances, and sofas can sometimes be downgraded without sacrificing style.
    • Finally, ask yourself if you definitely need those high $$ items. Is that $2000 pool worth it, or could you fill that outdoor space with something less expensive? Do you REALLY need that $1000 dollar fountain or would something less expensive look nice as well? Yikes - does that painting cost $2000? Surely, there is a less costly alternative that can work with your design...

What are your strategies for building elegant within the budget? Please share any advice you can to help out your fellow builders :smiley:
    I found that for my build I didn't need the columns because the arches added drama already. Then I realized I didn't need 5 arches....it didn't take anything away from the build by getting rid of them. Then I downgraded the sofa in the bedroom and all the flooring in the house is roof pattern. It's FREE!

When I build I always go big first. I unleash my imagination and let it go CRAZY. Then once I see where I want to go with my design, then I start the process of shaving off all the excess, downgrading and making substitutions. I find for me this is the best way to work. Though it can be incredibly frustrating and time consuming.
    momma-new-sig-3.gif

Great entry @mommataurus2, very Greek :)
    Lovely house @kezflake, will be great if you can adjust it to accommodate the budget :)
    edited August 2015

What are your strategies for building elegant within the budget? Please share any advice you can to help out your fellow builders :smiley:

I know I'm in no position to be giving budget saving tips right now but...
    1 Explore the different colour options in objects, a different colour can help a budget item look more expensive.
    2 Combine objects in unusual ways, merging objects with other objects can make 2 cheap looking items look bespoke built and become a focal point.
    3 Use Resize, especially in the landscaping.

Thanks for your feedback @KittKat7147 @Issabella14
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Really beautiful lot's already everyone! I'm hoping that I will be able to do a build for this challenge, as the writer job is my favorite (and my real life dream job!) lol
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• superbibi11superbibi11 Posts: 486 Member
    Your lots are very beautiful!!
    This new challenge is awesome, I hope to enjoy it! @lisa17ann Really? Is my life dream job too :heart:
    Girls thank you for the advices, It's beautiful to help each other :)
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Yes @superbibi11 wouldn't it be great! Every since I was little I wanted to write books and I have lots of ideas floating through my head. Hopefully one day I'll settle down and put the pen to paper and write my book! :)

I agree with you about it being a beautiful thing that everyone is so helpful! :)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top