Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    Can I suggest repairing the game? Sometimes that can help fix things.
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

• FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member

@bokylie1 Thank you, if I run into further problems, I'll do that. (I have had to do that a couple of times before) As it presently stands the problem is finally solved! (Don't ask me how!) I kept rebuilding the front end and something went right, though in the end there was no change to the configuration. (I am wondering if my Sims did not simply find the back of the house more interesting???? When they got hungry they used the front door, AKA the kitchen door. What ever the reason, I now know the shoe house works.
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    @FoundMarbles - glad you got your routing issues sorted, those Sims can be fickle creatures, can't they?
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    This sounds very challenging, but interesting. I might actually try it out. Here's a silly question, though. Where and how do you recommend making the slideshows?
    @SerraNolwen - hello and welcome to Build'n'Share! For showcasing your build, we recommend either making a thread here on the forums with your pictures hosted somewhere like imgur or flickr, or creating a custom slideshow at one of those sites and letting us have the link.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @BuildnShare Thanks! Is it one of these two websites that isn't allowing users to put the pictures they uploaded there on other websites unless they pay? I'd rather avoid making on account on that website, even though for now I can't put pictures here anyways.
    This sounds very challenging, but interesting. I might actually try it out. Here's a silly question, though. Where and how do you recommend making the slideshows?

imgur.com works simply, no hassles, no flood of advertising e-mails and the process is a simple drag and drop. I love it!
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm about 45% complete with my build. I'm really enjoying this challenge so far :) It's probably the most challenging one I've ever faced, which is a bonus.

Quick question: Are we allowed to add basements?

EDIT: I'm almost done with my build and have managed to fit everything in the house without needing a basement. :)
    Post edited by pronterus on
    @BuildnShare Thanks! Is it one of these two websites that isn't allowing users to put the pictures they uploaded there on other websites unless they pay? I'd rather avoid making on account on that website, even though for now I can't put pictures here anyways.
    @SerraNolwen - no, that's photobucket sweet. imgur and flickr are still fine to use :) As for being able to post pictures, have you checked out @rosemow's introduce yourself thread, it's a great way to up your member level, that and check out the thread on how to become a full member here. Good luck and Happy Simming!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    pronterus wrote: »
    I'm about 45% complete with my build. I'm really enjoying this challenge so far :) It's probably the most challenging one I've ever faced, which is a bonus.

Quick question: Are we allowed to add basements?

EDIT: I'm almost done with my build and have managed to fit everything in the house without needing a basement. :)

Just for future reference, you are allowed to create a basement. You just can't put any bedrooms in the basement. :smiley:
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited July 2017

N/A any more

Post edited by FoundMarbles on
    @FoundMarbles There was indeed a lot of information in that fun little dialog above the brief, and not all of it made it into the brief. Just in case you had not noticed, I figured I'd remind you: there should be a window and a desk in each of the teenagers' and children's bedrooms. (If I understood everything properly)
    Just in case you all didn't know, Origin have a huge sale on all Sims titles at the moment.....
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited July 2017
    CHALLENGE #: 73 -Life on a Shoestring
    FORUM ID: pronterus
    ORIGIN ID: pronterus
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Home is Where the Shoe is
    LOT COST: 1,500
    BUILD COST: 123,500
    TOTAL COST: 125,000
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: HERE
    ENTRY DETAILS: It was a bit hard to pull off, but it IS possible to fit 5 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, a rec room, a kitchen, and a living area in one tiny shoe house. The ground floor houses the dining area, kitchen, living areas, as well as Mrs. Hubbard's room with ensuite. I put her room on the ground floor so that she doesn't have to climb the stairs. The second floor is the girls' floor, which also has the kids' rec room at the landing. The third floor is the boys' floor, which was probably the trickiest to design, given the limited amount of space. The shoe house also has a little yard outside so that the kids can get some fresh air.

SIM:
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM:
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    813XC36.png
    DuhQmRj.png
    Post edited by pronterus on
  • abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Awesome entry @pronterus :) It’s so fairytale. <3
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR #BNS72 - REUSE AND RECYCLE @ THE GYM
    Your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg
    > @BuildnShare said:
    > SerraNolwen wrote: »
    >
    > @BuildnShare Thanks! Is it one of these two websites that isn't allowing users to put the pictures they uploaded there on other websites unless they pay? I'd rather avoid making on account on that website, even though for now I can't put pictures here anyways.
    >
    >
    >
    > @SerraNolwen - no, that's photobucket sweet. imgur and flickr are still fine to use :) As for being able to post pictures, have you checked out @rosemow's introduce yourself thread, it's a great way to up your member level, that and check out the thread on how to become a full member here. Good luck and Happy Simming!

Thank you for the tips and links, by the way! I just finished my build and pictures. Everything is on imgur. Now all there is left to do is somehow get those few points I'm missing so I can post links and pictures. I should be back for that soon! :)
    FORUM ID: SerraNolwen
    ORIGIN ID: SerraNolwen
    LEVEL: Established (if you think I'm picking the wrong category, please tell me. I've been building once in a while in my game, but never shared my builds on the forum before.)
    LOT: Living in a shoe
    LOT COST: 1500
    BUILD COST: 98 835
    TOTAL COST: 99 335
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Link
    ENTRY DETAILS: I've added some details to the captions on imgur, but here is the general idea. The family did not come from money and didn't have very expensive tastes, although the teenagers sur were glad to get their own rooms and an electronic appliance of their choice. As such, I tried to keep a slightly more rustic look in the furniture with added touches of modern comfort where the family members wished to have them. (Violet asked for somewhat more of that modern flair). The kids got a lot of brand new toys to enjoy. As for Mrs Hubbard, she has a very comfortable and large bath. They also got a new tv to gather around on rainy days. While a lot of things are new, the house is decorated with multiple objects from their old dwellings which have some sentimental value. They're little things, really - they didn't have much after all -, the hen on the dining table, the gaslight in the living room, the teapot in Mrs Hubbard's room, the milk jug and branches in Vincent's room and some of the lamps. After all, if they want the house to look like a shoe so they can feel more at home, there should be a few more things inside to remind them of the past years.

SIM: Hubbard
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS: I made this family rather quickly, so no need to judge it. If you're just curious, most of the info is in the short gallery description. The family gets along quite well, but Violet wishes she could have a more normal life.

ROOM: Peaceful corner bedroom
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Link
    ENTRY DETAILS: The room was built with a rather complex color scheme. Mrs Hubbard was never one to follow trends. She keeps many objects of sentimental value here: her children's drawings, her favorite books and the first gift her late husband gave her.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No custom content was used in any of this.

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    PLuyuSP.png
    CieE0oL.png
    @pronterus That's a lovely build. I like how you made the shoe shape (and even a stylized bow!). Everything is nicely decorated and very intricate. The exterior is particularly stunning, as it manages to look like a lovely fairy-tale house and like a shoe all at once. I'm also impressed by how much detail you managed to put in there. By the way, do the piles of clothes not interfere with sims' movement? Ever since I found out the rock collection and flower beds could not be walked on (or at least prevented using items layered over them), I've been wary of floor clutter, but it really adds a lived-in touch that makes it all even better.
    @pronterus That's a lovely build. I like how you made the shoe shape (and even a stylized bow!). Everything is nicely decorated and very intricate. The exterior is particularly stunning, as it manages to look like a lovely fairy-tale house and like a shoe all at once. I'm also impressed by how much detail you managed to put in there. By the way, do the piles of clothes not interfere with sims' movement? Ever since I found out the rock collection and flower beds could not be walked on (or at least prevented using items layered over them), I've been wary of floor clutter, but it really adds a lived-in touch that makes it all even better.

Thanks for the comments! The clothes don't seem to hinder the sims' movement
    edited July 2017
    FORUM ID: bokylie1
    ORIGIN ID:bokylie1
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Hubbard Boot Home
    LOT COST: $1,500
    BUILD COST: Gallery costs $109,460
    TOTAL COST: $110,960
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW
    ENTRY DETAILS: One shoe didn't seem right for the Hubbards and their requirements, so the house is a pair of boots. The lavender and plants around the boots make it look like the boots are walking through a field. Mrs Hubbard has a spacious bedroom with reading nook. The teenagers have spacious rooms. All the children share bathrooms with each other.

rc7af4.jpg

SIM: Hubbard Family
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Screenshots of the Hubbards are included in the slideshow of the house images.
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please as I am still growing as a builder and know that I may have messed up some things.
    CC CREDIT: No CC is used in my builds.
    Post edited by bokylie1 on

@bokylie1 - do you want any constructive criticism on your build? Your entry form is missing the last couple of prompts.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited July 2017
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

CHALLENGE #: 73 - Life On A Shoestring

LOT: Put A Sock In It

FORUM ID: FoundMarbles
    ORIGIN ID: FoundMarbles
    LEVEL: Established

Link to Gallery: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/2A43173568A011E78B912E471057C983?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=FoundMarbles&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST:1500
    BUILD COST:112702
    TOTAL COST: 114202

LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/H5mNn

ENTRY DETAILS: Life On A Shoestring: I am sure they could have had everything they needed without a basement but will be happier with all the activity it provides,fitness equipment, craft table, TV & not to forget a half bath more and an extra shower. As is my usual thinking, this is not open concept but all separate rooms. I just prefer specific rooms whenever possible. This shoe was built to simulate a sock (leg) coming out of the shoe. There are 5 levels all in and it seems a very comfortable shoe; there will be no need to move to a boot! As might be expected, the teen rooms have a fair amount of clutter and like most homes they fail to put things away, thus many books in the reading room are left about on the coffee table. No rug was provided for the dining room because SIX YOUNG PEOPLE EATING would make a mess of carpets. The floor will be much easier to mop. Mother's room and en-suite occupy a whole floor and she has a wonderful walk-in closet. Even though there was little yard left after building they still manage to have a fenced in play ground and some activities for the non-toddlers. There are potatoes, carrots, spinach, sage, basil (Yummy! Pesto), apples and cherries growing well on the lot. A big help to feeding a big family. No comfort was sacrificed to design the home to look like a shoe and no external decorations were applied that would interfere with the appearance of it being a big shoe. It was a bit tough at first but in the end, I think everything worked out and under budget.

SIM: Gallery Upload: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/CFC07E9D6A8E11E788AE291F6B257650?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=FoundMarbles&max=50&maxis=false

SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/cZTll
    ENTRY DETAILS: Vanessa is an assertive, creative, genius just because I really like smart people. AND a single Mother with 6 children needs to be VERY smart! Vincent is a very responsible teen. He is an odd combination of outgoing but a nature loving bookworm. He is off to an excellent start in the shoe house. Violet is proving to be a night owl and would rather play and eat than sleep! She is a cheerful goofball that wants to be a great painter. She is a great help to her mother by helping to bath and bed toddlers. Victor gives little trouble and will put himself to bed but panics about monsters under the bed. Mom is good at spraying them away. Victor takes after his mom and is a young genius. Vivienne is a cheerful soul and a social butterfly. She is an excellent room mate for toddler, charming Vanna. When Vanna wakes at night, Vivienne tells her stories and that seems to help keep the tot in bed while everyone else is asleep. Van is a silly little guy who seems none to messy, unlike his toddler sibling who seems to love making messes everywhere. This family seems to have no "issues" As they help each other and are good at accepting advise. A good solid group. I think they will do well in spite of losing Dad.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, Please!

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    mtL3LcM.png
    BE11K21.png
    edited July 2017
    Removed a Double Posting here. Sorry, Don't know how it went up twice. :*
    @bokylie1 - do you want any constructive criticism on your build? Your entry form is missing the last couple of prompts.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention @BuildnShare :). I would love constructive criticism as I am still learning with my building (which has improved a lot over the past year). I have updated my entry form.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top