Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited September 2018
    xamira99 wrote: »
    Hi @BuildnShare, for #104 challenge, it requires us to retain the current style of the house. I'm wondering, if we ever change the roof style, will it consider changing the house style?

The roof shape and style can be changed as long as it still fits with the feel of the house and the surrounding neighborhood.
    TinkPlays wrote: »
    Are there restrictions on the doors, windows or stairs being moved? Or adding fencing outside?
    Thank you

No restrictions there!
    MaryKup wrote: »
    Can we make the house bigger or do we have to work with in the original house? I'm looking to make the upstairs bigger to add the rooms and baths needed.

You can definitely make it bigger!
    suepea wrote: »
    I may be dense but the budget for the reno is $200,000 over and above the value of the lot? And can we update the exterior if we keep the style the same? Thanks! Looking forward to playing :-)

As @FidgetyAtom said, your total budget is 200,000. That means the total Gallery Cost of the home cannot exceed 200,000 when the renovations are complete. And, yes, the exterior can be updated as long as the style remains the same. So, for example, you couldn't change the exterior siding to brick. But you could add spandrels, change the color of the siding, change the front porch fencing, etc.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    MommaBean wrote: »
    Hey all! 🤗 Its been a long time since I've been active on here. Looking forward to building again! Let's see if I can get back into the swing of things with this challenge?!?

Welcome, @MommaBean :)

GArBA5W.jpg
  • MommaBeanMommaBean Posts: 12 New Member
    Thanks! I'm working on becoming a full member so I can actually post my entry. lol
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Thanks @BuildnShare :)
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • 13Vader13Vader Posts: 178 Member
    I want to enter too, but still haven't the member status, so I'll have to post some to get points and become a full member.
  • 13Vader13Vader Posts: 178 Member
    I want to enter too, but still haven't the member status, so I'll have to post some to get points and become a full member
    Got it!
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited October 2018
    CHALLENGE #104 -UNEXPECTED ARRIVALS
    FORUM ID: iampes23
    ORIGIN ID: iampes23
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/browse?category=all&searchtype=hashtag&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=#BnS104&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: n/a
    LOT NAME: Riverside Roost
    GALLERY COST: $132,905
    TOTAL COST: $132,905
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://imgur.com/a/C25KO9z
    ENTRY DETAILS: As much of the original insides that matched the style of the house was kept, such as the kitchen counters. Other items were upgraded with child-friendly versions, such as the reproduction antique furnishings in the living room. The master bedroom was moved downstairs. An expanded second floor allowed all the children to remain together. The yard was also given a major facelift. A small pool and playground equipment were added, along with a fence to keep the kids in the yard.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No cc
    TWITTER TAG: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    TUMBLR LINK: (entirely optional but makes it easier for us to tag you)
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    7A930rd.png
    uBJE8Ib.png
    Post edited by iampes23 on
  • lindaylinday Posts: 1,332 Member
    edited September 2018
    @BuildnShare Do we have to keep the original floorplan, or can we knock down the interior walls and start over?
    linday wrote: »
    @BuildnShare Do we have to keep the original floorplan, or can we knock down the interior walls and start over?

We don't see why you can't knock down interior walls @linday :smile:
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Quick question - can the twins be toddlers?
    Quick question - can the twins be toddlers?

The brief does say babies, but I think toddlers would be fine, after all, they grow up so quickly.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    CHALLENGE #104 -UNEXPECTED ARRIVALS
    FORUM ID: SimsIslandheart
    ORIGIN ID: SimsIslandheart
    LEVEL: Established
    HOUSEHOLD: Unexpected Arrivals
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: BnS104 - Unexpected Arrivals (Household)
    ENTRY DETAILS: Saanvi Ásgeirsdóttir, née Chaudhary, fell in love with Lúna while the two were still in high school. Their romance was not an easy path, however, and Saanvi’s very traditional parents would not approve of the young couple. When she graduated from high school, she and Lúna moved out to college together, and Saanvi’s family became distant, eventually no longer maintaining contact. Despite being estranged, Saanvi still cared deeply for her family, so when she learned her twin sister and brother-in-law had been killed in a car accident, leaving four children behind, she didn’t think twice about taking the children in.

Lúna Ásgeirsdóttir was afraid when she moved to Willow Creek from the Land of the Midnight Sun that she not only wouldn’t be able to make new friends by the time she graduated from high school, but that the culture shock of the temperate, riverside neighborhood would be too much to adjust to. Thankfully, the latter proved to be an unfounded fear, and she fit right in to her new community. At school, she quickly made friends, and ended up meeting the lovely Saanvi Chaudhary. The two became fast friends and then a cute couple, much to the delight of their peers. However, not everyone was thrilled – Saanvi’s very traditional family disapproved, despite Lúna’s attempts to ease their concerns. After high school, she and Saanvi decided it would be best for their relationship to move on together and leave Saanvi’s family to sort their own feelings out. The two married and made a lovely home together; then, one day, tragedy struck Saanvi’s estranged family, and Lúna had to watch her wife’s heart break all over again. She quickly assured Saanvi she’d be happy if they took the children into their own home, so they could have loving parents to raise them.

Faisal Saqqaf is the eldest child of Fadl and Paavai Saqqaf. He’s outwardly quiet and plain, but he has been doing his best to meet his parents’ expectations that he become a scientist. What he really enjoys, though, is the discovery – once he’s found something new and the novelty wears off, he’s ready to move on to the next thing. His dedicated, inward-facing world was thrown upside down by the sudden deaths of his parents, hitting him hard in an already difficult time – high school. Out of nowhere, the aunt his parents rarely spoke of and her wife stepped in to take him and his sisters into their home. They seem like great people – but he’s not sure if he can really open up to them yet.

Nila is the middle child of the Saqqaf children, and her already-shy demeanor was only multiplied by the sudden death of her parents. She’s a creative soul at heart and throws herself into her work with a vigor that surprises even adults. She didn’t know what to make of her new home with her aunts initially; it was pretty crowded, and her Aunt Saanvi’s resemblance to her mom was unsettling. She was surprised and delighted when her aunts took interest in her opinions on things, because they had never mattered to adults in her life before; she was used to simply doing as she was told. When she learned her aunts were intending to remodel their house so she and her siblings could each have their own space, she was thrilled – while still mourning the loss of her parents, she’s nervous and excited to see where this new journey will take her.

Ayla and Aesha Saqqaf, twins, are the youngest of the Saqqaf children. They were barely more than babies when they were orphaned, and they aren’t quite sure what the sudden fuss and move to a new house was about. It seems like Mom is still there, but she dresses differently, and she keeps saying to call her “Aunt Saanvi.” Dad isn’t around anymore, and no one wants to say why, but Aunt Lúna is always there instead. Things are different in the new house, too; there are tall stairs to navigate, and there’s talk about new rooms coming soon. It’s all very confusing, but also very interesting, and they can’t wait to explore and learn more about what’s going on.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Any
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC
    TWITTER TAG: @IslandheartArt
    FACEBOOK PROFILE: Islandheart Studio
    TUMBLR LINK: N/A
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    familybanner.jpg
    3j7l7WV.jpg
  • chips46chips46 Posts: 3,655 Member
    @SimsIslandheart You build a lovely place for the unexpected arrivals is it a must to write a fair bit about your entry I'm not good at a big write up like this, that's way too much for me :D
    chips46 wrote: »
    @SimsIslandheart You build a lovely place for the unexpected arrivals is it a must to write a fair bit about your entry I'm not good at a big write up like this, that's way too much for me :D

Thanks! I usually don't write this much in my entry form - I save it for my slideshow. Six sims is a huge family, though! I copied the "mini bios" I put on the slideshow to hopefully give people an idea what they're like before they click through to see the larger photos and move-in slides.

I actually ended up really fond of this family after doing their photos and play testing! I think that helped give me incentive to think of a bit of backstory for each of them. :)
  • glen1974glen1974 Posts: 86 Member

Hi @BuildnShare I am wondering if I am straying too far from the guidelines. I've expanded the floorplan, changing the entire shape of the house and then changed all the sliding. I've removed windows and repositioned the front door. I am keeping all of this in the same original style and in keeping with the neighbourhood. Am I on track here or have I gone off on a tangent? (Sorry I've been away for a while and am a bit rusty)
    glen1974 wrote: »
    Hi @BuildnShare I am wondering if I am straying too far from the guidelines. I've expanded the floorplan, changing the entire shape of the house and then changed all the sliding. I've removed windows and repositioned the front door. I am keeping all of this in the same original style and in keeping with the neighbourhood. Am I on track here or have I gone off on a tangent? (Sorry I've been away for a while and am a bit rusty)

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

I mean...it sounds lovely, do you have a sneak peek we can look at? :3

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

LoL, Well here it is. I wouldnt normally do this as its very much a work in progress so please bear that in mind. Am I on track or is it back to the drawing board?
    [url="[img]https://i.imgur.com/CHKSBgZ.png[/img]"]CHKSBgZ.png[/url]
    LoL, Well here it is. I wouldnt normally do this as its very much a work in progress so please bear that in mind. Am I on track or is it back to the drawing board?
    CHKSBgZ.png

I'm not a mod (so I'll let @BuildnShare or one of the admin team weigh in "officially"), but I think it's cute! I'm not sure about the brick chimney...it's starting to feel a bit like the McMansion that's across the street from it, which seems a tad flashier than the other homes in that neighborhood. That said, it's a work in progress! I think the balconies, windows, siding, roof, etc are all fine. <3
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

[url="[img]https://i.imgur.com/CHKSBgZ.png[/img]"]CHKSBgZ.png[/url]

I hate to say this, but it looks like a colonial to me. I also am not a mod though. :D It does look nice!

I tend to agree with you @iampes23 that's why I wanted to put this out there. I think I was already losing sight of how it should be. Back to the drawing board methinks! That said I may continue with this as a separate project in conjunction with the current challenge. Many thanks for your input and also for yours @SimsIslandheart :)
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    I tend to agree with you @iampes23 that's why I wanted to put this out there. I think I was already losing sight of how it should be. Back to the drawing board methinks! That said I may continue with this as a separate project in conjunction with the current challenge. Many thanks for your input and also for yours @SimsIslandheart :)

I've had pinpointed out time that shuttered windows are usually only at the fro. Just wanted to warn you so you don't make the same mistake I did.
    image.png

I've had pinpointed out time that shuttered windows are usually only at the fro. Just wanted to warn you so you don't make the same mistake I did.

Interesting...I just used the same windows that were already on the build, and essentially in the same spot, but now I want to go back and look, because I'm almost sure I saw shutters on side and rear windows. I'll have to pay close attention when I do my photos of the build. (I did notice there was kind of a mixture of shuttered and unshuttered windows, but I was like, "Eh, no judgement. That's what you like, then that's what you like." :lol: )
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member

Interesting...I just used the same windows that were already on the build, and essentially in the same spot, but now I want to go back and look, because I'm almost sure I saw shutters on side and rear windows. I'll have to pay close attention when I do my photos of the build. (I did notice there was kind of a mixture of shuttered and unshuttered windows, but I was like, "Eh, no judgement. That's what you like, then that's what you like." :lol: )

Hmm, well suppose you can leave them if you really want to, but I'm going to change them. Look at it as improving on the original build, which wasn't made for a competition.
    image.png

Hmm, well suppose you can leave them if you really want to, but I'm going to change them. Look at it as improving on the original build, which wasn't made for a competition.

:lol: I'm actually debating that now, myself. :lol: I have plenty of room in the budget - what I did came in well under. I just spent so long making curtains work with those windows, I don't know if I want to redo it all (or if I'll have time :sweat_smile: ). I'm not a big fan of shutters, personally, because no one ever uses them anymore, and I don't like things that look functional but aren't. :p I might have to do some picking through the window catalog and think on this one. :sweat_smile:
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member

@TresaofPern If I remember correctly the suggestion from Build 'N' Share was because you ran out of money for landscaping. The suggestion on the windows was merely a way for you to get money for the landscaping and wasn't a steadfast rule.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top