Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    #46 - TRIBUTE

“Hey Rose!” you say, waving a magazine. “Look who is on the cover again!” She groans as you plop the magazine on her desk, letting the brilliant white smile of Douglas Curtis the 3rd blaze upwards.

“Now what did that attention hound do?” she asks.

You pick up the magazine, laughing. “I don’t know. I haven’t read it yet.” Classifying him as an attention hound isn’t unfair. The adventurer never shied away from publicity. “But I’m sure he’ll be thrilled to know you asked.”

Rose let out an exasperated sigh, “Don’t start. He called this morning and was heavy on the darlings and honeys.”

“You know if you tell him to stop, he will. Doug isn’t a bad guy.”

She makes a noncommittal noise, then says “he wants you to come by his pied a terre tonight.”

Now its your turn to let out an exasperated sigh. “I hope it isn’t to brag about his latest cover…”

That evening you knocked on his door. When he opened the door, it wasn’t the beaming, slightly arrogant gent you were expecting. Instead the smile was missing and his face looked tired and sad. “Hello Douglas.”

“Hello. Thank you for coming out.” He ushers you in and offers a drink. He himself sits down with a glass of amber liquid mixed with some ice.
    After a few moments of silence, you ask tentatively “Is something wrong Douglas?”

He rouses himself. “Sorry. I-…My grandmother  died the day before yesterday.”

“I’m so sorry to hear that. Were you close?”

“Yes. I would stay with Nona when my parents were out of town, on holidays and during school vacations. She ran a bakery in Venice. It was practically my home.” He takes a long drink, “I remember being little and laying on sacks of ingrediants early in the morning in the back room. I could hear the thumping of her kneading bread for the days baking. I would wake up a couple hours later to the smell of fresh breads. She’d cut up a loaf and spread her home made jam on it for my breakfast.” He smiles a little. “Believe it or not, I’m a pretty good baker.”

“It sounds like you have a lot of great memories of her.”

“I traveled around so much as a kid…Nona was home to me.” He looked down, blinking away tears. After a few moments her clears her throat, “Which brings me to what I asked you to come by for. I want you to build something special.”

“A bakery in Nona’s name?” you ask with a smile.

He smiles back, “A bakery and baking school in one.” You blink in surprise. Douglas continues, “Nona was always looking for someone to teach how to make good food. She believed that food was the heart of every family. That food made with love and skill would make the home stronger and better. And no meal was ever complete without breads and pastries.

“She loved what she did so much, even in the midst of summer when the ovens were going full blast. I want to honor Nona by starting a bakery that would actually work as a bakery, one where someone can come and have a cup of coffee with their morning rolls, but also teach people how to make these delicious things themselves. People who could love it as she did. As you love your work. What do you say?”

“I can get started tomorrow.”

Requirements:

• Build a bakery that actually functions as a real bakery
    • An eating area for people to sit and savor
    • A teaching area for others to learn
    • Landscaping

Budget: §55,000

Room Challenge: (No room challenge this time)

Sim Challenge: Create Douglas Curtis's Nona, either as a living Sim or as a ghost!

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)

CHALLENGE #: 46 - Tribute
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    LEVEL: (Whichever entry level you feel fits your current build level i.e. Starting Out, Established or Expert)
    LOT: (Name where the build can be found with on The Gallery)
    LOT COST:
    BUILD COST:
    TOTAL COST: (Lot cost and build cost added together)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by.)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)

SIM: Link to Gallery Upload
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM: (Name where the Room can be found on The Gallery or N/A if not entering) Link to Room on Gallery
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) Link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: (Please state here as to whether or not you would like to receive constructive criticism for your entry.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: (Please give links to any CC, mods, and/or recolours you used in your entry)

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

Please note the changes to the entry form, the judges are having some difficulties in working out if people are entering the Room/Sim challenges, therefore we are making it compulsory for the Sim and/or Room challenges to have their own media showcases.

Hashtag used for this challenge is #BnS46

The deadline for this challenge is 22nd June 2016

GArBA5W.jpg
  • popettypop2012popettypop2012 Posts: 1,318 Member
    @BuildnShare Does the lot have to be uploaded as a retail or a restaurant?
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    @BuildnShare Does the lot have to be uploaded as a retail or a restaurant?

Doesn't matter. Could even be a bar :) People without the expansion/game packs should be able to enter as well.
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
    @popettypop2012 , @Lebanna is correct. You may upload it as retail, café, restaurant or generic. It should look like a functioning bakery. Happy Simming! :smiley:
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    Going to try to do this, it sounds fun! :)
    @popettypop2012 , @Lebanna is correct. You may upload it as retail, café, restaurant or generic. It should look like a functioning bakery. Happy Simming! :smiley:

Thank you so much for the help. I have finished my bakery now and I just need to take screenshots.I'm uploading it as a restaurant. It is really hard to stick to the budget. I would've been able to add more decorations and landscaping with a bit more money :)
    We're looking forward to your entry, @popettypop2012 ! :smiley:
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    Are there any packs that we aren't allowed to use?
    @equuest , since the judging is done from your slideshow only, you may use whatever packs you have and CC as well. If you use CC, just be sure to credit the maker(s). Happy Simming! :smiley:
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited June 2016
    FORUM ID:popettypop2012
    ORIGIN ID:popettypop2012
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Pasticceria Della Nonna
    Link to Gallery: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/6D50931C306C11E6866CE2EBE115989E?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=popettypop2012&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST:51,629
    BUILD COST:3,000
    TOTAL COST: 54,629
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s373.photobucket.com/user/cillaben/slideshow/Bakery for BuildnShare
    ENTRY DETAILS: I decide to build a warm, cosy bakery that is also feminine (hence, the pink) so Nonna would love it. The cooking school is upstairs and the bakery is downstairs where customers can dine in or buy some baked goods to take home.
    ATTENTION ESTABLISHED ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #45 - PIED À TERRE

Your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg
    Congratulations @Lebanna your penthouse is really nice. And thank you so much, @BuildnShare for the feedback
  • Don_OelloDon_Oello Posts: 269 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: @Don_Oello
    ORIGIN ID: Don_Oello
    LEVEL: established
    LOT: Panetteria di Nona
    LOT COST: 2000
    BUILD COST: 52959
    TOTAL COST: 54959
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Panetteria di Nona
    ENTRY DETAILS: Last time i entered this comp was at #BnS28, so now i'm back in the game with Panetteria di Nona (Nona's Bakery). With the limited budget i came up with a fairly simple design which feels right in place in Windenburg.

SIM: N/A
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A

ROOM: N/A
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    overview%202.pngshop%201.png
    mh0CjH8.png
    Check out my showcase
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    Congratulations @Lebanna your penthouse is really nice. And thank you so much, @BuildnShare for the feedback

Thank you! You had some great things too!
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • PersRealmsShadowPersRealmsShadow Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 2016

FORUM ID: PersRealmsShadow
    ORIGIN ID: PersRealmsShadow
    LEVEL: Established (alive? XD)
    LOT: Baked With Amore
    LOT COST: 1500
    BUILD COST: 51787
    TOTAL COST: (Lot cost and build cost added together) 53287
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Le Crappy Slideshow, it's been awhile have pity
    ENTRY DETAILS: Wanted this to feel like you're walking into nona's kitchen when you're learning, duo stoves and a back entrance for the trainees, open dining for everyone else, a small side nook for those who want to eat outside. Also.. since Nona was cheating on that baking, there's a baking machine hiding downstairs but don't tell her grandson that :smiley: She works with old wood stoves, and a woodpile right outside the door makes for a convenient punishment detail for those acting up in the kitchen.

Link to Entry cause I'm a wierdo who forgot to U.U
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Sure
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None but one of these days I'll remember I can use my CC and recolors *shame*

SEYUqbR.png
    WtlGtuO.png
    Post edited by PersRealmsShadow on
    EkwtdjR.jpg
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited June 2016
    FORUM ID: gmcrozier
    ORIGIN ID: gmcrozier
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Nona's Delectables
    LOT COST: 1,500
    BUILD COST: 53,416
    TOTAL COST: 54,916

LINK TO GALLERY: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/09B17E6A365011E68700B68DB0DD1726?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=gmcrozier&max=50&maxis=false

LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/Glenn_Crozier/library/Nonas Delectables?sort=9&page=1

ENTRY DETAILS: An old brick warehouse converted to retail space. The bakery and cafe are located on the ground floor with a classroom and teaching kitchen on the 2nd floor. There are both outdoor and indoor seating areas. I kept kind of an industrial feel with exposed bricks and bar height tables, as well as, a comfortable lounge area. The classroom is small, only accepting 8 students per class. Nona believes in teaching from her own personal cookbooks and does not use computers. Classes are Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6pm-9pm and are intended for people who want to improve their baking skills. The teaching kitchen is small and students are encouraged to work in teams to help with their social skills.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

06-19-16_10-49-06nbspAM_zpsm42znem6.png

06-19-16_10-53-16nbspAM_zpsfja8ezws.png

@BuildnShare I have sorted the photo album 5 times and it keeps reverting back. I apologize for the photos being out of order.
  • PersRealmsShadowPersRealmsShadow Posts: 360 Member
    @gmcrozier o.o I'd come learn from your Nona that's a lovely bakery ^_^
    EkwtdjR.jpg
    Challenge #46 is now closed, we hope you'll join us for #47 :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    #47 - A Home of Our Own

Reginald Worthington the 3rd. You 'hmm' softly to yourself, trying to picture what your next appointment might look like. It never worked but it was a fun mental exercise that let you put aside the last appointment in favor of the next. With a name like that he probably came from a privileged family, so… sun streaked blonde hair and a Caribbean tan. Maybe some designer clothes and shoes worth your car. Laughing at yourself, you give instructions to show him in when Rose calls back that he is here.

The young man that walks in has no resemblance to your mental image. Instead of sun streaked perfectly coiffed, his dark chocolate hair is short but in need of a trim. He pushes his glasses up and brushes his bangs out of his eyes before shaking your hand. Instead of designer labels, his jeans and shirt are well worn and you’re pretty sure that his sneakers are older than your car. You sit back down at your desk after the pleasantries are over. “So, Mr Worthington, what can I do for you?”

He gives you a charming, boyish smile that completes his cute nerd look. “Just call me Reggie. Some of my friends have had you build them houses, and they highly recommended you.”

You grin, “I love referrals. Mind if i ask who?

“The Ryunotens and Jesus Wu.”

“I know them all quite well. I saw Dream not that long ago actually. She was glowing.”

He chuckles, “Yeah. She’s really excited about being a mom. It took Mike about 10 tries before he could finally tell me about it in a coherent manner.” That depiction of the clever, quick talking lawyer makes you laugh. “Anyway, my fiancée and I are in need of a house.”

“Congratulations.”

“Thanks.” He pulls out his phone and shows you a picture of an Asian woman that very much embodies the word gorgeous. “Aisu and I have never really had a home, being street rats for the majority of our lives. She thinks I am here looking for an apartment, but I want to surprise her with a home of our own. Especially since we are expecting.”

“That’s wonderful!”

“Yeah. A little earlier than planned but we are both big on the idea of having a large family and you have to start somewhere.”

“Very true.” You click your pen, “What are you looking for in the way of a house?”

“Well, see, that’s the rub. I’ve always liked a Suburbia thing and Aisu prefers more Japanese aesthetics, so if you could blend it into something comfortable and family friendly that would be great. I think, you know, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths should be a good start right? And a backyard for the kids to play in. And I need somewhere to work.”

“Like a study?”

“Kind of. See I got lucky and got an apprenticeship at a computer repair firm that covered my education. I’ve been with them for about 10 years now, but the owner is selling to a larger company. I’m being cut as a redundant position.” He scowls for a moment before perking back up. “But the severance package is giving us this fresh start. So I’m going to start a repair business here and I need someplace to work where little hands wont be grabbing at delicate parts.”

“Gotcha. Any other desires?”

“Not really. Aisu’s very clever when it comes to domestic stuff so she will probably fill in anything I’ve missed when she gets here.”

“Okay. Did you have a budget for this?”

He thinks for a minute. “Um, about 40k i think. I might be able to add more to it, but I want to make sure we have a nest egg for when the baby comes you know?”

“40k will be fine,” you assure him.

Requirements:

3 bed 2 bath
    Fenced back yard
    Blend of suburbia and Japanese styles
    Family friendly
    Workshop for Reggie
    Landscaping
    30×30 or larger
    40k budget

Sim Challenge:

Reggie is family oriented, creative and a geek
    Aisu is family oriented, neat and self-assured

CHALLENGE #: 47 - A Home of Our Own
    FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    LEVEL: (Whichever entry level you feel fits your current build level i.e. Starting Out, Established or Expert)
    LOT COST:
    BUILD COST:
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by)

SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM: (Name where the Room can be found on The Gallery or N/A if not entering) Link to Room on Gallery
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: (Please state here as to whether or not you would like to receive constructive criticism for your entry
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: (Please give links to any CC, mods, and/or recolours you used in your entry)

Please note the changes to the entry form, the judges are having some difficulties in working out if people are entering the Room/Sim challenges, therefore we are making it compulsory for the Sim and/or Room challenges to have their own media showcases.

Hashtag used for this challenge is #BnS47

The deadline for this challenge is 6th July 2016

GArBA5W.jpg
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    @gmcrozier o.o I'd come learn from your Nona that's a lovely bakery ^_^

Thank you so much, for your comment.
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #46 - TRIBUTE

GArBA5W.jpg
  • LesamithLesamith Posts: 277 Member
    #47 - A Home of Our Own

Reginald Worthington the 3rd. You 'hmm' softly to yourself, trying to picture what your next appointment might look like. It never worked but it was a fun mental exercise that let you put aside the last appointment in favor of the next. With a name like that he probably came from a privileged family, so… sun streaked blonde hair and a Caribbean tan. Maybe some designer clothes and shoes worth your car. Laughing at yourself, you give instructions to show him in when Rose calls back that he is here.

The young man that walks in has no resemblance to your mental image. Instead of sun streaked perfectly coiffed, his dark chocolate hair is short but in need of a trim. He pushes his glasses up and brushes his bangs out of his eyes before shaking your hand. Instead of designer labels, his jeans and shirt are well worn and you’re pretty sure that his sneakers are older than your car. You sit back down at your desk after the pleasantries are over. “So, Mr Worthington, what can I do for you?”

He gives you a charming, boyish smile that completes his cute nerd look. “Just call me Reggie. Some of my friends have had you build them houses, and they highly recommended you.”

You grin, “I love referrals. Mind if i ask who?

“The Ryunotens and Jesus Wu.”

“I know them all quite well. I saw Dream not that long ago actually. She was glowing.”

He chuckles, “Yeah. She’s really excited about being a mom. It took Mike about 10 tries before he could finally tell me about it in a coherent manner.” That depiction of the clever, quick talking lawyer makes you laugh. “Anyway, my fiancée and I are in need of a house.”

“Congratulations.”

“Thanks.” He pulls out his phone and shows you a picture of an Asian woman that very much embodies the word gorgeous. “Aisu and I have never really had a home, being street rats for the majority of our lives. She thinks I am here looking for an apartment, but I want to surprise her with a home of our own. Especially since we are expecting.”

“That’s wonderful!”

“Yeah. A little earlier than planned but we are both big on the idea of having a large family and you have to start somewhere.”

“Very true.” You click your pen, “What are you looking for in the way of a house?”

“Well, see, that’s the rub. I’ve always liked a Suburbia thing and Aisu prefers more Japanese aesthetics, so if you could blend it into something comfortable and family friendly that would be great. I think, you know, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths should be a good start right? And a backyard for the kids to play in. And I need somewhere to work.”

“Like a study?”

“Kind of. See I got lucky and got an apprenticeship at a computer repair firm that covered my education. I’ve been with them for about 10 years now, but the owner is selling to a larger company. I’m being cut as a redundant position.” He scowls for a moment before perking back up. “But the severance package is giving us this fresh start. So I’m going to start a repair business here and I need someplace to work where little hands wont be grabbing at delicate parts.”

“Gotcha. Any other desires?”

“Not really. Aisu’s very clever when it comes to domestic stuff so she will probably fill in anything I’ve missed when she gets here.”

“Okay. Did you have a budget for this?”

He thinks for a minute. “Um, about 40k i think. I might be able to add more to it, but I want to make sure we have a nest egg for when the baby comes you know?”

“40k will be fine,” you assure him.

Requirements:

3 bed 2 bath
    Fenced back yard
    Blend of suburbia and Japanese styles
    Family friendly
    Workshop for Reggie
    Landscaping
    30×30 or larger
    40k budget

Sim Challenge:

Reggie is family oriented, creative and a geek
    Aisu is family oriented, neat and self-assured

FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    LOT COST:
    BUILD COST:
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by)

ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: (Please state here as to whether or not you would like to receive constructive criticism for your entry

Hashtag used for this challenge is #BnS47

The deadline for this challenge is 6th July 2016

This might sound incredibly silly, but as I'm new to this whole challenge building thing, I have to ask for certain. The sim part of this challenge means that we are supposed to make the sims for said house...right? I'm assuming yes, but I thought I'd ask just to make 100% sure. :D
    @PetiteTaurus this does not sound silly at all. The Sim challenge is separate from the build challenge and is to create Reggie and Aisu with the required traits, the rest is up to you :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    ATTENTION ESTABLISHED ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #46 - TRIBUTE

GArBA5W.jpg
  • masajomasajo Posts: 5,993 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: masajo
    ORIGIN ID: Cevans1962
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Naoki
    LOT COST: 2,500
    BUILD COST: 37,481
    TOTAL COST: 39,981
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/1PK1N
    ENTRY DETAILS: Suburban style home with Japanese aesthetics built on a 30x30 lot. Garage converted into the study/computer workshop. Chose a Japanese name to reflect the tree at the front, Naoki. meaning 'honest tree'.

ENTRY DETAILS:

ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/699035663D6111E6873026C4D7344933?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=cevans1962&max=50&maxis=false

DH1RZTN.png
    uzE2H1V.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top