Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• masajomasajo Posts: 5,993 Member
    SyddyB206 wrote: »
    @masajo So, Calypso was the daughter of the Titan Altlas. She was born before the god between the Titans and Gods. I don't really remember why, but she was imprisoned on a phantom island called Ogygia, that exists everywhere and nowhere. On that island there are invisible servants and extravagant gardens. Time moves differently on the island. Calypso is cursed by the gods. Her curse is that only men can get washed up on her island and she always fall in love of them. You may be wondering why that is so bad. Well, no man has ever found the island twice.

I guess that's the story. Sorry if it doesn't make a lot of since. I've kinda forgot it, but multiple searches on the internet helped me.

Thank you very much for sharing this story @SyddyB206 I'm always fascinated by Greek mythology :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited August 2017
    Would it be possible to get an extension of a few hours? My build is done, I just need to take my screenshots, upload them to imgur and upload my lot to the Gallery. I don't think I'll be able to get it all done by Midnight. :(

We are having a new roof constructed tomorrow and spent the day doing preparation including removing some severely overgrown bushes in the front of our house. They were 3 ft over the rooftop. o.O What was supposed to be a 20 minute job turned into a nightmare. The chain broke on our chainsaw halfway through the job and we ended up having to saw the rest of them by hand, then haul the debris into our field. We came into the house an hour ago, hot, sweaty and exhausted. *sigh*

If it's not possible, I'll understand. I still had a lot of fun doing my build and will still submit it just for fun if an extension is not possible. Let me know! Thank you and good luck everyone, I LOVE all the builds submitted so far. The talent and creativity y'all have is amazing!

Going offline now to get busy so I won't know the answer until I'm done, but no worries either way. :)

Happy Simming! <3
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited August 2017
    @Karababy52 I think some time ago we changed the "official" deadline to midnight in the last time zone that reaches it. Which (if I'm looking at it correctly) would be about 7 hours from from the time of this post. https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/honolulu Is that enough time for you?
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    @mannanna I usually take out the CC I don't like or think I'm not going to use & put it in a labeled folder in case I want to use it one day. That makes things much easier and gets rid of all those throw pillows I hate. The CC for sims 3 seemed to be more problematic than 4, had to remove all the CC from my 3. With the exception of the custom paintings I learned how to make with TSR. So far absolutely no issues with 4 CC & im in the process of learning how to make custom paintings and art with TSR workshop for 4. My challenge is building something presentable in two weeks with a one year old who's learning to walk wanting all my attention.

Haha, I hear you @linzlulubell. I didn't mean that CC would mess up your game, but for me I think I spent more time trying to figure out who the creator of the CC was than it took me to build. It's awesome that you're trying your hand in creating, that is a whole new aspect of the game. Congrats to being a mom, a one year old will keep you busy <3

Challenge #74 is now officially closed

@Karababy52 - if you can get your entry in by midnight UTC tonight, we will enter it in for judging ;)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    #BnS 75: Diamonds Are Forever

Right after lunch, Karl pokes his head into your office and says, “Be nice to our next client! Bill and I got our wedding rings from him. He’s a really sweet old guy.”

“I’m always nice!” you reply. “And Mr. Diamante’s jewelry store has been a fixture in the Magnolia Promenade shopping district for many years. I look forward to meeting him.”

When Salvatore Diamante arrives a few minutes later, you notice how spry he is, even at his age. His mane of white hair is still full, as is his beard. And Karl was right, he has the sweetest expression on his face, beginning with his sparkling blue eyes.

“Mr. Diamante! What a pleasure to finally meet you!” you greet him.

“Please call me Sal. Everybody does!” he answers with a slight Italian accent.

“So what can we do for you?”

“Well, I turn 75 this year, and I thought I would finally like to move out of my cramped apartment in Oasis Springs. I was thinking of maybe having a little house built for myself. What do you think? Am I too old to be building a new house?”

“You’re never too old! And you came to right place! What sort of house were you looking for?”

“Oh, I don’t really need much. A small kitchen—I like to cook, you know. Maybe, two bedrooms—one for myself and one for when my niece Zanna comes to visit. And I’d love a little garden to grow vegetables and fruit, especially lemons.”

“Is there any design style you prefer?”

“No, no! I’m not picky. But you know, I’ve been a jeweler all my life, just like my father. He gave me an uncut diamond when I opened my store in Magnolia Promenade fifty years ago. I still have that diamond and would like to feature it in my new home. Right now I have it in a trunk in my apartment.”

“This is all very doable! We can have the house ready for you in two weeks.”

“Ah! Wonderful!” he says with just the glint of a tear in one of his bright blue eyes.

THE BRIEF:

• Lot: any size, anywhere in Willow Creek or Newcrest (remember the lot cost is part of the budget)
    • House: 2 bedrooms, one full bathroom and at least, one half-bathroom (the second could be a full bathroom if budget allows); a small gourmet kitchen; usual dining and living areas and anything else you’d like to include for a 75-year old bachelor; garden with planting boxes for vegetables and fruit and at least one fruit tree.
    • Design style: let diamonds inspire you, and be sure to feature Sal’s uncut diamond somewhere in the house. [If you don’t know how to access the debug menu for the diamond, you can download it as a room from the gallery here. The diamond cost (§90) does count against the budget. Be sure to eliminate the wall and shelf unless you want that as part of your build.]

BUDGET: §75,000 (lot + build cost)

SIM CHALLENGE: Create Salvatore Diamante (elder) and his niece Zanna Ferrari (young adult and daughter of Sal’s sister Angela). Sal is a foodie, but his aspiration and other traits are up to you. Zanna’s aspiration is Painter Extraordinaire, and she is creative; all other traits are up to you.

ROOM CHALLENGE: Create Sal’s small gourmet kitchen; Budget: §7,500

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)

CHALLENGE #: 75 - Diamonds Are Forever

FORUM ID:
    ORIGIN ID:
    LEVEL: (Whichever entry level you feel fits your current build level i.e. Starting Out, Established or Expert)
    LOT: (Name where the build can be found with on The Gallery)
    LOT COST:
    BUILD COST:
    TOTAL COST: (Lot cost and build cost added together)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by)
    ENTRY DETAILS: (Be sure to tell us about your entry)

SIM: Link to Gallery Upload
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM: (Name where the Room can be found on The Gallery or N/A if not entering) Link to Room on Gallery
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: (Please state here as to whether or not you would like to receive constructive criticism for your entry
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: (Please give links to any CC, mods, and/or recolours you used in your entry)

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)

Please note the changes to the entry form, the judges are having some difficulties in working out if people are entering the Room/Sim challenges, therefore we are making it compulsory for the Sim and/or Room challenges to have their own media showcases.

Hashtag used for this challenge is #BnS75

The deadline for this challenge is 16th August 2017
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Challenge #74 is now officially closed

@Karababy52 - if you can get your entry in by midnight UTC tonight, we will enter it in for judging ;)

Okay, thank you! Not sure what time that would be and if it's already passed, but I have my screenshots taken & sorted and I'm currently in the process of writing up the entry form, then I'll upload the pics to Imgur and finally upload my lot to the gallery. Man, I am dog tired. lol Been up all night working on getting those screenshots and now I'm waiting on the roofers to get here. I should have my entry up within a couple hours +/-, hopefully... if the roofers don't accidentally disconnect me and my current connection stays fast. o.O

Thanks again! *Hugs* <3

edited August 2017
    Good Lord I'm tired... but I can't sleep since there's currently what sounds like a herd of elephants on our roof! lol Oh well...

Okay, So, I've waited long enough. Imgur still says it's saving my images so I hope it's complete. There should be 58 images with descriptions. *crosses fingers*

I haven't uploaded it to the gallery yet either, I'm afraid to leave Imgur... but as soon as it's finished saving I'll upload it and update here when I've done so. Here's my entry so far. Thanks again for the extension, very, very much appreciated!

CHALLENGE #: 74 - Solstice Designer Showdown!
    FORUM ID: Karababy52
    ORIGIN ID: Karababy52
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: BBI Island Retreat
    LOT COST: 2000
    BUILD COST: 78204
    TOTAL COST: 80204
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/Qk1WP

ENTRY DETAILS:

This build was inspired by an Island cottage my family stays at for 1-2 weeks during the summer and autumn for deer hunting season. We’ve been going there for decades ever since an ancestor built a log cabin there. The original family cabin is gone now, but some of our relatives own another cottage on the Island and we rent another particular cottage on the beach every year when we’re able.

It’s a very special, secluded, quiet and beautiful place full of pristine wilderness that means a lot to our family. We’ve celebrated birthdays and holidays such as Independence Day and Thanksgiving on the Island and have made many, many treasured memories together. The Island is accessible by a car ferry or an airport which can accommodate small planes and commuter jets.

It has only 45 year round residents, but the population blossoms to around 1500 during the summer. There isn’t much development on the Island other than cottages, no hotels, etc., but it does have one combination store/restaurant/gift shop/gas station, one tavern, a one room school house, fire station, post office, coast guard museum, community center, a lighthouse, a few campsites on the north shore, three small lakes and the harbor.

All the roads are gravel or dirt two-tracks besides the cottage driveways. It’s strongly encouraged if you take a car there to bring along a chainsaw. You never know when a trail could be blocked by a blow down. o.O

We love it there and hope to go again soon. <3

Our cottage actually has four bedrooms that can sleep up to 10 people and only one bathroom, so I made one of the bedrooms into a bathroom upstairs. There should be a dirt driveway out back from the main road too. It’s surrounded by a lot more trees too, but the budget wouldn’t allow for it. The front is all sandy beach too. I did the best I could with the few packs I have. I’m happy with how it turned out and I hope y’all like it too.:)

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please and thank you!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC/Recolors but I did use MOO, IGUE and Debug items.

pSpsigk.png

EDIT: Added link to lot on the Gallery! \o/

Post edited by Karababy52 on
    edited August 2017
    Awesome, thanks for getting this up @Karababy52, I'll add you into the entry list now and your media all looks good!!
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Thanks again @BuildnShare I've finally been able to upload it to the gallery. Edited my post to include the link! <3
    Hello all, we have added a couple of new items in the thread rules section of the first page of this thread.
    You must upload your entry to the gallery for it to count as an official entry, this is due it being the only way that judges can confirm the lot cost of your builds.

By entering, you agree to allow your lot to be showcased on any of the BuildnShare social media outlets.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Lesfem420Lesfem420 Posts: 32 Member
    I can't post pics yet as I'm not a full member, but can't wait to join in on this one :) If anyone wants to check out any builds, search Lesfem420
    and let me know what you think. Thanks
  • FoundMarblesFoundMarbles Posts: 448 Member
    Lesfem420 wrote: »
    I can't post pics yet as I'm not a full member, but can't wait to join in on this one :) If anyone wants to check out any builds, search Lesfem420

You can still take part in challenges and someone will transfer your post to make the pics and links live. :smiley:
    "Practice kindness all day to everybody and you will realize you’re already in heaven now." Jack Kerouac
    edited August 2017
    Lesfem420 wrote: »
    Hi @Lesfem420 and welcome to BuildnShare. @FoundMarbles is correct, you can still enter and we can always help make your links live. You may find it useful to visit @rosemow's thread to introduce yourself and get some much needed post likes, you can find the thread here, there is also a thread on how to become a full member here.

GArBA5W.jpg
    edited August 2017
    NEW SIMS CHALLENGE

We have a very exciting announcement to make, The Hawthorne Project is now officially looking for applicants for the next phase. Head on over to the BnS Hawthorne Project Sims to enter your worthy, downtrodden Sims for the opportunity to have them become the next official candidate!
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • linzlulubelllinzlulubell Posts: 93 Member
    Hello all, we have added a couple of new items in the thread rules section of the first page of this thread.
    You must upload your entry to the gallery for it to count as an official entry, this is due it being the only way that judges can confirm the lot cost of your builds.

By entering, you agree to allow your lot to be showcased on any of the BuildnShare social media outlets.

Ok BnS people I need some tech help here, this new rule will prevent me from being able to enter the contests. You see, I live on a farm very far from the road and we've been told we're unable to ever have good internet (the internet they offer won't even stream a movie, not worth paying for). I have unlimited on my smart phone so I started transferring my screenshots for the contests onto my phone from the PC via a cable
    Instead of taking my entire tower over to my friends or family's, like I had to do in the past before I figured out I could enter over my phone. So my question is....is there anyway to put my BnS lot on a flash drive (removable storage device)?? AND then take it to my bff house to upload? Would I be able to just log in my origin on her PC? She and I won't mind uploading my builds from her account but is that possible? Anyway I think there's a way I can do this without dragging my tower across town, I just need some help or suggestions so I can continue posting in BnS contests like I have for years prior.

Also if anyone knows how to change my picture on here, I think it might be using my wordpress or google account picture, please let me know!?

Also a question @BuildnShare, I've never tried to upload a lot with CC on the gallery because I know the CC won't transfer. Will it still show the correct price for your lot if you use CC even though it won't transfer?
  • KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2017
    @linzlulubell I found THIS INFO on ModTheSims about saving lots outside of the Gallery. You could then upload it to Mediafire or someplace similar. CC should transfer with it if you do it that way (I think).

To change your picture, click on the little gear icon up at the top of the page next to the search bar. Then click on "Change my Picture"

Post edited by KittKat7147 on
  • linzlulubelllinzlulubell Posts: 93 Member
    @KittKat7147 the rules say "to the gallery" so I'm not sure loading it somewhere else is ok and I'm not sure how the creators of the CC I use would feel about me uploading lots with their goods in them. The gallery would be ok, since the CC doesn't transfer as far as not making any creators mad, BUT I have still have questions about if it shows the correct amount for your house on the gallery if you use CC?
  • Lesfem420Lesfem420 Posts: 32 Member
    @FoundMarbles @BuildnShare Ah awesome thats good to know! Thanks. Ima get building :)
  • illusieillusie Posts: 13,816 Member
    @Karababy52, you have created such a lovely house. I love both the exterior and interior.
    illusie wrote: »
    @Karababy52, you have created such a lovely house. I love both the exterior and interior.

Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it! :)<3
  • AinsleyfAinsleyf Posts: 880 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

CHALLENGE #: 75 - Diamonds Are Forever
    FORUM ID: Ainsleyf
    ORIGIN ID: Ainsleyfr
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: The Little Villa
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/5E5ECEC77A6311E78889A05D6D91E4D0
    LOT COST: $2000
    BUILD COST: 72,497
    TOTAL COST: 74497
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/eaPqg
    ENTRY DETAILS: The brief said Uncle Sal still had a touch of an accent, so I thought I'd try to build an Italian villa for him in case he missed his motherland at all. Kitchen has a dishwasher, espresso maker, microwave and computer so Sal can research recipes and keep them organized. Garden has lemons, pears, garlic, onion, carrot, potato, mushrooms, parsley, basil, tomato. There's an easel for Zanna and two full baths attached to the two bedrooms. I used a lot of diamond patterns on windows and doors and put the garden boxes on a diagonal...other than that, I didn't use a lot of diamond shapes, unless you count oval cut. Lot is Civic Cliffs in Newcrest

SIM: My Uncle Sal
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/2E683AC77A6311E78830A05D6D91E4D0
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/JIXsR
    ENTRY DETAILS: When I saw the name "Zanna Ferrari" I just had to go for a 1960's Italian film star look. She has ten outfits because I just had too much fun dressing her. She's creative, romantic and hot-headed... I just had to add the hot-headed to stay in the Italian 60's film genre. Skills: Painting 6, Charisma 5 and she's level three in the Painting Career..a Hungry Artist. Sal is creative as well, and a foodie and active. His aspiration is to find his soul-mate...He's been single too long. I was going to make him a stereotypical Italian vegetable growing grandpa, but then I thought, he has no grandchildren and Zanna shouldn't get all the sexy. SO, I made him kinda buff... YEAH I know he's 75...but...Gregory Peck was still hot at 75 so.... Skills: Cooking 6, Gourmet Cooking 5, Gardening 5, Violin 4

ROOM: N/A

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Absolutely
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    pNNjgYw.png
    89GWyHG.jpg
  • illusieillusie Posts: 13,816 Member
    @Ainsleyf, The Little Villa is very beautiful.
    I really like the sim you created. Zanna is so pretty! Now I'm curious about her 10 dresses! Sal looks great too.
  • StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    @Ainsleyf , I love the villa and your Sims! :heart: Great job!
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Hi @BuildnShare after my epic fiasco with my shoe house (I will never finish it, it was not good) I will try with Diamante :# Since my last entry I feel I have improve building something "real" (lol I hope so). I have a question: the niece room is for a young adult? Thanks ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top