Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    #57 - Hipster Loft Apartment

The doorbell to your studio rings, and as you race to the front door you think, “I sure miss Rose!” So far you have found no one to replace her and all the temps you have hired have been inadequate, including the one who didn’t show up today! At least you remembered that a young couple had scheduled an appointment for this morning.

You greet a lovely young woman with coffee colored skin and short black hair who introduces herself as Jenna Jaspar. With her is a pale young man with wild and long red hair, a hipster beard and glasses. He is Derek Darby, Jenna’s boyfriend. Both young people are heavily tattooed, are wearing earrings, skinny jeans and t-shirts.

You offer them something to drink, and they both ask for chai tea. If Rose were here, you would have chai tea to give them, but all you can find in the studio kitchenette is some herbal mint tea. They accept the tea—grudgingly, it seems to you.

“So what may I do for you both today?” you ask.

Jenna starts, “I don’t really think we need you at all—no offense—but Daddy insisted I see you about designing our apartment in San Myshuno.”

“And who is your father?” you continue politely, ignoring the “no offense” remark.

“Um, Jefferson Jaspar. We’re from Oasis Springs, you know,” she replies.

And you do know! Jefferson Jaspar is a prominent businessman in Oasis Springs, and his wife, Joanna is currently the mayor!

“Jenna is a trust fund baby,” Derek inserts with a bit of sarcasm (and resentment?).

“Can it, boyfriend!” Jenna shoots back. They have obviously had this discussion before.

Trying to get things back on track, you say, “Where in San Myshuno is your new apartment?”

“We scored a really dope apartment in the Spice Market district. Daddy thinks it’s a dump, though,” Jenna says.

“It just needs a little TLC is all,” Derek interrupts. “I coulda fixed it up myself.”

“But Daddy talked to landlord,” Jenna shoots ‘a look’ at Derek. “The place has been gutted now, and he—I mean ‘we’—want you to design a two-bedroom, one bathroom apartment for us. The second bedroom is Mom’s idea.”

“Yeah,” Derek interrupts again, “I think she’s planning to visit us—like, often!”

“She is not, Derek! She also insists that it has a decent kitchen, but it can be small. If it were up to us, we wouldn’t need a kitchen. We eat most of our meals out, or do take out.”

“And don’t forget about the computer, Jenna,” Dereks interrupts for the third time.
    “Oh yeah,” Jenna says. “Derek needs a workspace with a computer.”

“I scored a great job with SimsArt!” Derek can hardly contain himself. “We’re working on a spinoff to the VoidCritters franchise called Ninja Squirrel Blowout!”

“And I need an easel,” Jenna continued. “I have a job at the Arts Center.”

“Okay!” you say. “What sort of style do you like?”

“I think an industrial vibe is dope!” Derek says. “And I’m kind of a boho chic princess,” Jenna says looking at Derek. And the two burst out laughing.

Requirements: You do not have to own City Living to enter this challenge! You can download the apartment shell here:
    https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/E9EAC65BA68911E68825E3E25C38B524?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=StSciurus&max=50&maxis=false

2 bedrooms
    1 bathroom
    small kitchen area
    computer work area for Derek
    easel for Jenna
    usual dining and living areas
    interior style: industrial with a boho chic vibe

What you cannot change:
    exterior walls and windows
    exterior wall textures (including the balcony)
    balcony railing
    front door (brown)

What you can change:
    add interior walls and doors
    interior wall textures
    door to balcony
    add light fixtures, including balcony

Budget:

total of §45,681: §6,681 for the lot and apartment shell, §39,000 for the apartment interior renovation
    the build can either be uploaded as a lot to the gallery, or as a room following this tutorial: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/902379/tutorial-how-to-share-apartments-in-the-gallery-for-the-upcoming-city-life [The apartment has the same footprint as 19 Culpepper House in the Spice Market district of San Myshuno.]

Sim Challenge:

Create Jenna and Derek and show them enjoying their new apartment. Jenna’s aspiration is Painter Extraordinaire. Derek’s aspiration is Computer Whiz. Everything else is up to you!

Room Challenge:
    No room challenge this time.

Hashtag used for this challenge is #BnS57

The deadline for this challenge is 23rd November 2016
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • folalafolala Posts: 307 Member
    Oh cool, an apartment - excited for this challenge! How is everyone enjoying CL so far?
  • Soraya4simsSoraya4sims Posts: 223 Member
    edited November 2016
    CHALLENGE #: 57 - Hipster Loft Apartment
    FORUM ID: SOraya4sims
    ORIGIN ID: Bladian1
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Industrial Chic
    LOT COST: 6,681
    BUILD COST: +/- 37.500
    TOTAL COST: 45.505
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/1RNGi
    ENTRY DETAILS: A nice Industrial chic appartment. i think Jenna and Derek will like it a lot.. its really a fusion of the 2 styles. i would not mind to live here. The computer/painting area is an area appart but it is still part of the living area's.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    OZBKaLO.pngdGDOELD.png
    ( Link to build for the ones that wanna now : https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/FAC412E9A84C11E686571A48E9EF6133 )
    Post edited by Soraya4sims on
    #Soraya4sims check out my videos on YouTube! YouTube.com/soraya4sims
  • BreezyBlue022BreezyBlue022 Posts: 126 Member
    FORUM ID: Breezyblue022
    ORIGIN ID: Breezyblue022
    LOT: Hipster apartment
    LOT COST: §6,681
    BUILD COST: §38,976
    TOTAL COST: §45,657
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/CHJnA
    ENTRY DETAILS: A colorful industrial apartment decked out with boho chic décor.

SIM: Hipster couple
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/foHL0
    ENTRY DETAILS: Derek is an ambitious computer geek who loves to try out different cuisines at every restaurant he can. Jenna is an outgoing art-lover who could spend days looking at every art piece in any museum that she visits.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    wso9i9.png
    v8lyzt.png

• popettypop2012popettypop2012 Posts: 1,318 Member
    @buildnShare If the lot has the same blueprint as the 19 Culpepper House in San Myshuno, can I build my apartment there or do I still need to download the shell?
    @buildnShare If the lot has the same blueprint as the 19 Culpepper House in San Myshuno, can I build my apartment there or do I still need to download the shell?
    @popettypop2012 - You can build it at it's original place, the shell is more for people who haven't got the City Living EP.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    And just to clarify, @popettypop2012 , if you build in San Myshuno, you will have to clear all interior walls, wall textures, floor textures, furniture, etc. before you begin building. (The electrical box and water pipes can't be deleted.) This is so you can keep track of the budget (§39,000) for the renovation. Using the downloadable shell makes it easier to keep track of the budget because the interior has already been cleared and you don't have to worry about working around the electrical box and the water pipes.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Thanks, @BuildnShare I have cleared them up and noticed that the water pipes, electrical box and the mice holes aren't going anywhere
    edited November 2016
    I'm a wee bit confused about the budget @BuildnShare , if we're building in San Myshuno. When I clear out the interior walls, textures etc the shell shows at about 4k but should that be included in the 39k or is it separate. I would just use the shell but I quite like the pipes and electrical box.
  • masajomasajo Posts: 6,006 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: masajo
    ORIGIN ID: Cevans1962
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Indichic Life

LOT COST: 6,681
    BUILD COST: 38,974
    TOTAL COST: 45,655
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/S2TvF
    ENTRY DETAILS: Industrial meets Boho Chic to reach a happy medium. Colourful, warm and cosy, yet chic and stylish, meeting the demands of both styles.

SIM: N/A
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM: N/A
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

cB9DL0P.jpg

iOuVjhz.jpg
    uzE2H1V.jpg
    folala wrote: »
    I'm a wee bit confused about the budget @BuildnShare , if we're building in San Myshuno. When I clear out the interior walls, textures etc the shell shows at about 4k but should that be included in the 39k or is it separate. I would just use the shell but I quite like the pipes and electrical box.

@folala , when we cleared out 19 Culpepper House, we were left with a value of §784. That is the value listed when you are at the apartment in build mode. From there you may spend another §39000 to renovate for a total value of §39784. [By clearing out, that included removing interior walls, removing all furniture including furniture on the balcony, all light fixtures. All wall textures were turned to drywall and all floors to the §0 per tile default cement flooring. The mouse holes, floor grate, electric box and water pipes were still left in the apartment.]
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Thanks @BuildnShare .That makes alot more sense. I was looking at the price when I saved to library - I don't know why, I'll blame baby brain!
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #56 - NEW BEGINNINGS
    Your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg
    edited November 2016
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: folala
    ORIGIN ID: folala
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/EAAF7A47AB6811E682C0A68B05B62D2F?category=rooms&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=weekly&searchquery=folala&max=50&maxis=false
    LOT COST: 784
    BUILD COST: 38, 214
    TOTAL COST: 38, 998
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://flic.kr/s/aHskoHEoCE
    ENTRY DETAILS: My flat has an Industrial look with a hint of boho chic, hopefully. I put the desk in the main bedroom to leave the living area more open and give Jenna plenty of room to fling paint around! The balcony has a seating area & small garden

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: n/a

SPACE FOR PICTURES: zmdpw0.png
    Unbelievable, Photobucket is mucking up again. I tried uploading my pictures and it won't let me.
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Unbelievable, Photobucket is mucking up again. I tried uploading my pictures and it won't let me.
    Oh hon, I'm so sorry, it really is a nightmare isn't it? You could always try creating a Flickr account or similar?!
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
    edited November 2016
    ATTENTION ESTABLISHED ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE 56 - NEW BEGINNINGS

Your results are now available here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @FaithofKaela, thanks, Photobucket has been quite a nightmare for me. The site is still broken today. I am really considering moving to Imgur like some of the others here.
  • masajomasajo Posts: 6,006 Member
    Switching to Imgur was the best thing I ever did @popettypop2012 :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    I agree with @masajo ! Imgur never gives me trouble the way Photobucket seems to, @popettypop2012 .
  • Don_OelloDon_Oello Posts: 269 Member
    i switched from photobucket to imgur a while back. photobucket was annoying and took way too long, imgur is a lot easier.
    mh0CjH8.png
    Check out my showcase
    Thank you, everyone. I will give it a try today. It is always daunting to try something new, though:)
  • pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    I guess we all agree that Imgur is the best way to share photos here. :D
    edited November 2016
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: popettypop2012
    ORIGIN ID: popettypop2012
    LOT: 19 Culpepper House
    Gallery Link:
    https://www.thesims.com/gallery/B5298026AAE411E68489A68B05B62D2F?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=popettypop2012&max=50&maxis=false

BUILD COST: 37,447
    TOTAL COST: 36,663
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/Xv5N9
    ENTRY DETAILS: I chose a mostly boho style with touches of industrial for the young couple.

SIM: N/A
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM: N/A
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: (REQUIRED if entering - the slideshow is what your judges will primarily go by or N/A if not entering) link to media
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

TaL865l.png
    d5h8Z2F.png
    Post edited by popettypop2012 on
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

Thanks for this challenge @BuildnShare it was a fun way to learn how to build the apartments :#

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post)

FORUM ID: emere
    ORIGIN ID: osiazul
    LEVEL: established
    LOT: 19 Culpepper Apartment https://www.thesims.com/gallery/6A4EEE71AC7C11E68FF6A68B05B62D2F
    BUILD COST: 38,596
    TOTAL COST: 39,380
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/osiazul/slideshow/apartment
    ENTRY DETAILS: I want to keep the industrial look but with the warm touch of the boho style. So the ambiance is urban but with a vibrant feeling to keep the vitality and energy needed in a city. The apartment is small but it offers privacy to the residents in each room.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: none.

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)
    16-11-2016_21-06-31_zpsu5bw4db7.png
    16-11-2016_21-09-44_zpsb5iuvobm.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top