Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Missc, I think the best way to keep track of it is your in game price *before* you move a sim on the lot to test. I would get all of the building done, look at the price, and save. Then I'd move a sim in to test, but if any changes were needed, I'd reload my save and make them without putting a sim on the lot. Putting a sim on the lot will depreciate it, but as long as you haven't done that, the price you see in game should be the correct price. The gallery price will be too low, as it won't account for the 10K cost of the lot.

o.O Uh oh... Okay, I decided to enter this round and have the exterior almost finished except for landscaping, haven't started on the inside yet. But, from what you're saying, I think I might've messed up. When I bulldozed the lot, I did it when I moved in The Olsens which left a total of $12,000 for them after the $10,000 cost of the lot. I used motherlode and rosebud to up their finances to $90,000 and went from there. I haven't played The Olsens at all, they're just hanging out in front... watching. lol Is this going to be a problem? Will the build depreciate anyway as I build/save/build/save, etc. until I'm done?

I want to follow the rules, but I'm hoping I don't have to bulldoze again and start from scratch. It took me FOREVER to get the exterior/roof how I want it to look. How do you build/bulldoze without moving a family on to the lot first? I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Any help would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks!

• simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    @Karababy52, I think you're fine the way you're going. Wouldn't it also work to just keep up with the library (gallery) price as you build and make sure it doesn't go over $90,000?
    KGLsNuM.jpg
    ahholladay wrote: »
    @Karababy52, I think you're fine the way you're going. Wouldn't it also work to just keep up with the library (gallery) price as you build and make sure it doesn't go over $90,000?

Oh good! Whew! Thank you for your quick reply. I haven't saved it to my Library yet, just been doing "Save as" overwriting each time I get out of the game. I've been going by the number it shows in build mode at the bottom left of the screen.

@Karababy52, I hope I told you right! :) I was just kind of thinking out loud there, but it seems like that would work. Hopefully, if that's not okay for some reason, someone will come in tomorrow and let you know. But I know for the last challenge, my final cost was the gallery cost (which was higher than my in-game cost because of depreciation) + the cost of the lot I'd built on.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    If you're making sure the Gallery cost doesn't go over 90k, that would work too, I would think, unless the depreciation sticks with your uploaded lot. I don't think it does, but I'm not absolutely certain. I hope someone else can tell us for sure! I was very confused during the last challenge, which is why I'm trying to be so careful about how I do it this time.

@Karababy52, any time you want to build on a lot you're not playing, you can do so from Manage Worlds. Just go to Manage Worlds (in game options) after you've loaded the game, and click on the lot you want to work on. If there are sims on it, and you want to boot them, click on the ... and the option is there. Then you can bulldoze and start from scratch (and you should see the base lot price at that point). If the lot is unoccupied, you can simply go into build mode right away.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    celdys0n wrote: »
    You did really well @KraftySim! Hard to believe you are a Starter after this build

Will the winners announcement be next Wednesday then? @BuildnShare

We will endeavour to get the results up for Wednesday, but with the mass of entries, we won't be making any promises ;)

Any word on the rest of the results from the 1st challenge? Just curious.

• celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    @karababy52 if you don't want to bulldoze and you are worried about the depreciation, then try evicting your Sims in manage world and then go into building. Just know that bulldozing is not a bad thing, it can only be built better because you'll know what to look for now.

I too want to see the results from challenge one in the other categories.
  • simhead70simhead70 Posts: 614 Member
    Ok I am having an issue when sharing my house on the sims 4. I have finished my 3rd build for build and share and went in to share it and it says made by me but the original is by some person named CSM_PersonaName. I feel hi-jacked. I used the original lot the 50x50. All I did was bull-dose the house that was originally there.
    b141edb2-262e-48c6-a432-99db802758b0_zpspfbmwyih.jpg
    edited October 2014
    @simhead70, that happened to me, too. I bulldozed the Daisy Hovel lot and when I saved it to my library it had the 'original by CSM_PersonaName' line so I decided to upload it anyway and just explain what happened. But when I uploaded, the 'original by' part disappeared. If you haven't already tried uploading, try it and see if the 'original by' part sticks. If it does, well, at least we all know what happened. :)

ETA: Just double-checked and it's still showing up that way -- with the 'Original By: CSM_PersonaName' in 'My Library', but without it on the Gallery.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
    @ahholladay well I tried just tried saving it as 'Save as new' and it went away. I checked again in my gallery and it was all by me! :) I really hope they get that fixed because it is a little annoying. Thank you for your help and reply.
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    Just answering a few quick answers :)
    celdys0n wrote: »
    @karababy52 if you don't want to bulldoze and you are worried about the depreciation, then try evicting your Sims in manage world and then go into building. Just know that bulldozing is not a bad thing, it can only be built better because you'll know what to look for now.

I too want to see the results from challenge one in the other categories.
    Working on it! But I just started my fulltime job 3 weeks ago, So I'm trying to fit it all in. Have written a fast majority of the feedback, but haven't picked a winner yet. I hope to have it up at the latest Tuesday/Wednesday.
    I really want to say thank you all for you patience! And I will post them up as soon as I can :smile:

To everyone wondering about the costs. There are a few general ways to do it.
    1: build on a non occupied lot. This will enable you to build without a budget (so no need for Motherload etc.) and you can keep track of the costs of your lot at the top bar where it says info (or something... that icon with I and a house) This is including the lot price I think.

2: build on a lot that has a family on it. In this case you would probably need cheats to give your family enough cash. Make sure you don't PLAY the family while building. Playing in the house will decrease the value of objects and thus, lower your total house costs. We consider this 'cheating'. What we think is ok is to play test for a few simdays (2 or 3 max), to make sure you don't have any routing problems.

3: OR you could do what @BryonyRea said. Save you lot to your library before playtesting. If you need to make any changes to your lot, do it in your saved house, after you have perfected anything you have encountered during playtesting.

4: Use the gallery price as a check + add the lot cost. Gallery prices are WITHOUT lot prices. So in this case the gallery price should be 90k or below.

Hope this helps everyone out for a bit :D
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • keshialeekeshialee Posts: 533 Member
    @Lebanna I asked a question about the room challenge... Just wondering if including this with our builds, does that 15k come out of the normal budget? Or is that an extra amount to build it with? Thanks :)
    keshialee wrote: »
    @Lebanna I asked a question about the room challenge... Just wondering if including this with our builds, does that 15k come out of the normal budget? Or is that an extra amount to build it with? Thanks :)

That's for a sub-challenge within the same themed challenge. If you don't have time to do the full challenge, you can just enter a room, but spend only that much on it. Hope this helps!
    edited October 2014

That's for a sub-challenge within the same themed challenge. If you don't have time to do the full challenge, you can just enter a room, but spend only that much on it. Hope this helps!

Yes I understand that, but I seen that some were also completing it as well... So if you wanted to do it as well, my question is do you get an extra 15k to build him a workshop or you still stay within the 100k limit :) (hope I am making sense haha)

Yes I understand that, but I seen that some were also completing it as well... So if you wanted to do it as well, my question is do you get an extra 15k to build him a workshop or you still stay within the 100k limit :) (hope I am making sense haha)

I guess you could have your cake and eat it, too? I imagine that as long as the workshop is under that 15k it could be included in your primary challenge entry, but could also be entered for the secondary challenge. That said, I don't think it was the admins intention to have it be both. It was, I believe, just intended to give those who did not have the time a way to enter. So I would say, no. It's either 100k for the whole challenge - workshop included - or 15k if you only want to enter a workshop.

Lebanna wrote: »
    Just answering a few quick answers :)

2: build on a lot that has a family on it. In this case you would probably need cheats to give your family enough cash. Make sure you don't PLAY the family while building. Playing in the house will decrease the value of objects and thus, lower your total house costs. We consider this 'cheating'. What we think is ok is to play test for a few simdays (2 or 3 max), to make sure you don't have any routing problems.

Thank you so much for the clarification! Since I haven't played The Olsens on their lot, I should be good to go according to your reply. \o/

Thanks also to you @ahholladay @BryonyRae & @celdysOn for your replies and help with how to build on a lot without a family via Manage Worlds. I've been building now by going into my save, clicking the lot and then the build button. SO relieved I don't have to bulldoze! I could probably recreate what I've done so far if I were to bulldoze and start over, but I'm glad I don't have to go that route.

On a sidenote (but still related to the challenge), I don't think I'll submit my Olsen couple for that part of the challenge. I missed that Don was supposed to be balding and have a beard. Consequently, the guy has a full head of thick, luxurious blond locks and is clean shaven. Ah well... it's the building challenge I care about the most anyway. I guess I could still upload them to just share though. You could pretend he's got a fabulous comb-over and just shaved. hehe Have a great week everybody and have fun building! :)

I guess you could have your cake and eat it, too? I imagine that as long as the workshop is under that 15k it could be included in your primary challenge entry, but could also be entered for the secondary challenge. That said, I don't think it was the admins intention to have it be both. It was, I believe, just intended to give those who did not have the time a way to enter. So I would say, no. It's either 100k for the whole challenge - workshop included - or 15k if you only want to enter a workshop.

That's what I had assumed as well (and what I done) :) thanks for replying
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Well, all those rules about lot pricing wasn't in the original rules, but I'm fine with it! Now I know. :) I'll definitely do that for this build and thank you for explaining for us newbies. B)
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    Lebanna wrote: »
    To everyone wondering about the costs. There are a few general ways to do it.
    1: build on a non occupied lot. This will enable you to build without a budget (so no need for Motherload etc.) and you can keep track of the costs of your lot at the top bar where it says info (or something... that icon with I and a house) This is including the lot price I think.

3: OR you could do what @BryonyRea said. Save you lot to your library before playtesting. If you need to make any changes to your lot, do it in your saved house, after you have perfected anything you have encountered during playtesting.

4: Use the gallery price as a check + add the lot cost. Gallery prices are WITHOUT lot prices. So in this case the gallery price should be 90k or below.

Hope this helps everyone out for a bit :D

Maybe we need to put this on the challenge rules for everyone?
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    benlow11 wrote: »
    Hello #BuildnShare team! First, thank you for your feedback on my build for challenge 1. Second, I'm looking forward to this next one because I don't believe I've ever done colonial style architecture. Third, I have a question before I do this next challenge and prepare my slideshow. In the feedback you stated "It would have been nice to see a top down image of each floor to really get a hold of the layout." Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by top down view? The last picture in my slideshow was an aerial view of the only floor, but is this not what you are looking for? Or perhaps the last slide was just missed? Here's the link to the slideshow again if you want to go back and look at it: Kazasa Interior Design

Edit: I am just curious so I have the right image in my next slideshow. Thanks for your time!

@benlow11 - Yep, that last slide is exactly what I was looking for, apologies, I must have missed it :blush:

GArBA5W.jpg
  • TwilaniteTwilanite Posts: 53 Member
    I uploaded my lot to the gallery if anyone is interested what my challenge #2 would have looked like. #Twilanite #BuildnShare
    I don't know if I am going to get to this next one due to doing some remodeling of sorts to a real room in our home. But good luck to everyone and I hope to maybe catch the next one. Well wishes ~Twilanite
  • KraftySimKraftySim Posts: 277 Member
    This 90k budget has been an extreme challenge! Definitely a lesson in frugality as I don't want to change the build features. :-)
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    I feel your pain! I got my house all built and landscaped and had nothing left for the rest! Need to make it smaller!!!! :|
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited October 2014

Oh @keshialee sorry! Missed that question!

Yes you can do both challenges. No the 15k is not an addition to the 100k. So if you do both, you have to stay in the 100k budget (including the lot price) AND the specific room has to be in the 15k budget ;) Hope that explains to to you.
    And we always like when people do the extra challenges :)

Originally the Sim part was an additional challenge, and the main challenge, well the main challenge. (Same way we had them for The Sims 3)
    The room is an side challenge, so when you don't have time for a full build, you can still participate that way :) New for The Sims 4
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

CHALLENGE #:3

FORUM ID: Simhead70

ORIGIN ID: Simhead70

SIM: Olsen
    (Don and Judy)

LOT: Buildnshare3
    (Olsen Colonial Home)
    Cost $83,542. 50x50 2 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths. Included Woodworking Shop. The shop alone was $8,957 included in total cost.

LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/angelg70/slideshow/Build and Share 3?sort=6

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: NoCC
    Post edited by simhead70 on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top