Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Forum background color and font :(

PLEASE consider changing the background. The color makes my eyes water - seriously. Also, the font is difficult to read.

Missing the old forum format that was much easier on the eyes :s

Comments

• 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    I agree. At first I could deal with it and didn't understand the fuss, but after looking at it for so long it's almost unbearable. It's just way too bright. If you are planning to make a petition on this, consider me signed!!!!! :s
  • Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    The font and background remind me of the horrid look of IOS 7, only at least I can read parts of the forum. The light blue font needs to go-can barely see it, let alone read it unless part of it is in all caps!
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Completely agree. I get on here and within 5-10 minutes I have a headache and eye strain :(
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • jermanijermani Posts: 187 Member
    lol..it did'nt bother me until i read this now my eyes are watery from trying to see the fonts and getting a slight headache.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Totally agree! I, too, at first thought it was okay, but the lime green mixed with the bright white is hurting my eyes! Please, EA, fix this! :s
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Alpal425Alpal425 Posts: 198 Member
    I personally like it. :blush: Don't hate me! :blush: I just like it how it's all modern plumbob color. Wait, this is TS4 colors! If you can't handle these colors, you can't handle TS4! :wink:
    thedoctor.gif
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I guess that settles it - I can't handle Sims 4 then. :#
    -
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited August 2014
    I agree to most of this. My first thought when I entered the forum was *what?* Font is hard on the eye, and the blue color doesn't help a bit (mostly on the indexes). Also find the indexes hard ti navigate, there is too much info packed together and no vertical lines to sort the info. I would prefer the TS3 forum layout anyday... I guess it's early days and some adjustments might occur, but still can't help wondering why the current design got a "Go!".
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    The green doesn't bother me too much. But then I haven't spent hours and hours here yet either. A choice of a few different color schemes would certainly be nice. Maybe something like sky blue or pale blue, grey, black.
  • Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    I like the font, but I don't like the color. My eyes start to hurt when I look at the forums (i.e. background color) for longer than 20 minutes.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • LuckySkyLuckySky Posts: 1,054 Member
    I post from my phone so I can't see the desktop format. From my phone everything is all white and blue.
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    I find the font starts blurring after reading several posts. The green bothers my eyes; however, I can adjust my internet window so I don't see it at all.
  • HanskuHansku Posts: 1,735 Member
    Agree.
    I'm fine with the font but this green is bit too bright for my eyes.
    AlA2dUe.gif
    finnish | ♀ | ♓ | intp
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Hm, I wonder if the layout might work much much better on smaller devices. I think it might become too bright and tough on the eye when watching it on a bigger monitor. Somehow I feel the text lines are too long, too, it gets easier to read if I scale down the TS4.com window, but that is not how a desktop browser is supposed to work... I'm on a stationary pc, maybe that's old fashioned these days, :lol:
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Hm, I wonder if the layout might work much much better on smaller devices. I think it might become too bright and tough on the eye when watching it on a bigger monitor. Somehow I feel the text lines are too long, too, it gets easier to read if I scale down the TS4.com window, but that is not how a desktop browser is supposed to work... I'm on a stationary pc, maybe that's old fashioned these days, :lol:

I do not think using a desktop is old fashion as they tend to be larger and faster than the more mobile versions. I have a huge monitor and I scale it down to clip all the green off the sides. The font does trouble my eyes after a while...but I probably should be here all that long anyway. :p
  • KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2014
    It does take some getting used to, but using ctrl+ to zoom in will allow you to eliminate most of the harsh green on the sides. You'll just have to remember to zoom back out (ctrl-) when you go to a regular web page. Also, I do find that the font is not as bad when zoomed in to this degree.

Still wish EA would make the site more accessible without the irritation of inevitable eyestrain unless you go to lengths (zooming) to avoid it :(
  • MarLin114MarLin114 Posts: 1,724 Member
    I definitely agree that the font and background blinding white should be adjusted. I can only spend about 5 minutes here looking at the new site and then I have to close it down. I've tried zooming out, but the bold font is still annoying and with the bright white background and the letters start to bleed together.

And toning down the bright green would be much appreciated also.
    a.k.a. - Linda
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited August 2014
    There are several tools like GreaseMonkey and Stylish for Firefox that can adjust the look of a web page. Until EA provide alternative looks, using one of those to change the background color might be the best solution

EDIT: I've been looking how they work, looks like you need some knowledge of javascript and and CSS to create a style in them. Which I lack, unfortunately.
    Post edited by WaytoomanyUIDs on
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • NefjeNefje Posts: 249 Member
    I made some new styles for this forum: Changing background and font on forums.thesims.com.

berichten-voor.png
    Before

berichten-na.png
    After

For example: this style will change the font to Arial (less bold) and reduce the line spacing. It will also change the forum background to Dragon Valley. :)
    edited August 2014
    @Nefje...Sweet! I started looking this over and bookmarked the site page. I'm short on time at the moment but will go back to it tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you! :smiley:

Back for a second to ask: Is there a way to tone down the bright white and make the blue font darker? If that is already covered on the site page, apologies for asking a question that's covered.
    Post edited by MarLin114 on
    a.k.a. - Linda
    edited August 2014
    @MarLin114 You're welcome :)

Forum-grey03.png

Forum-grey04.png
    I made a new style with a darker white background and blue font. Is this better or do you want it even darker? If you have other suggestions, let me know :)
    Post edited by Nefje on
    edited August 2014
    Nefje wrote: »
    @MarLin114 You're welcome :)

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-ggDmhMcddyw/U_uKl4-v7aI/AAAAAAAA5B0/OTSZEqNMZqg/s1600/Forum-grey01.png[/img]

Forum-grey02.png
    I made a new style with a darker white background and blue font. Is this better or do you want it even darker? If you have other suggestions, let me know :)

@Nefje - This new style with the bright white background toned down and the blue font darkened is PERFECT! I just installed it and I love it <3. Thank you so much!

a.k.a. - Linda
    After posting the style, I saw that links were almost invisible. So I made the font a little bit lighter. Sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure if you have the second version or the first one.

Forum-grey02.png
    First version.

Forum-grey04.png
    Second version.

But I'm glad you like it :)
    edited August 2014
    I have the first version installed now. I can check out the second version to see how that looks too. I appreciate this so much :smiley:

Wow! Updating was really easy, I'm impressed! The second version is better because I can now see the 'new style' link in your post, but I couldn't see it with the first version unless I hovered over the words. If the blue was a tad lighter your link would stand out more, but I'm extremely happy with the way it looks.
    a.k.a. - Linda
    edited August 2014
    No problem. :)

I know what you mean. I made a third version with a lighter blue so you can see the links better :) It's hard to find the 'perfect color' for everyone. Personally I find this one better, but you can decide for yourself.

Forum-grey05.png

[img]https://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-F2qh00bXQNs/U_zqDqWPsJI/AAAAAAAA5DY/SPPdbVgV108/s1600/Forum-grey06.png[/img]

If you want a slightly different color, you can edit the following code of the style:
    a {
    color: #1C8AB2;
    }
    You can try a image editor or this site to find your perfect color.
    Post edited by Nefje on