Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it true TS3 can ruin laptops?

People at MTS forums keep saying in threads that The Sims 3 is well known for burning out laptop video cards. Is this actually true? Lol

Comments

• MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    It wouldn't surprise me, but then if that's the case then I would say that the game clearly isn't designed for those types of laptops anyway. I have to admit, my laptop gets RIDICULOUSLY hot whilst I play TS3. I just remember to minimize the game for a few minutes every hour to let things cool off and everything runs quite smoothly (besides the game which is riddled with bugs).
    tFU6JMe.png
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,655 Member
    edited August 2014
    It fried my first laptop, but now I know more about the game and laptops, I understand why, it was a real cheap one, but my current laptop has survived and it plays nicely, even though they say my HD 3000 graphics card isn't up to scratch. I've not had a problem with it at all.

Also I never play without my cooler pad on.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    I have burried at it my previous graphic card 2 years a go. It was caused by missing V-sync and by stellar-high fps.
    Now I haven't those problems more: you can force V-sync on NVIDIA control panel. (I don't know, how this works for another cards.) With previous NVidia driver I've had oftenly GC crash, this new driver is OK. While using CAW, I'm monitoring my temp with NVIDIA inspector, there are fps high. I have strong cooling (PC was built especially for playing on it TS3, after my previous Gcard died) and till now we are living both (happily and I hope ever after too) ;).
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    It will burn graphics cards with in proper cooling and when playing at high fps.. if you cap the fps at either 30 or 60 and have decent cooling with a cooling pad then you should be ok... I always monitor my temps with free software :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• CraziiMikuCraziiMiku Posts: 436 Member
    Well, it killed my desktop!

True, it barely met the minimum requirements, but for a while I could play it well. Then I visited the landgraabs and rip.
  • DecrainDecrain Posts: 893 Member
    edited August 2014
    Yes, it's possible.
    First thing was already mentioned - really sky-high FPS count. It's not needed for a game like this, so unfortunately third-party applications for limiting the FPS are sometimes needed.
    Second thing is - when your computer just barely meets the requirements or all components are fine but the graphics is integrated (or APU). Then there can be some signs that your harming your computer. Like strange lines going out of furniture or sims. Those things are called artifacts and they mean the graphics is telling you "your pushing me too hard, I can't stand it anymore, I'm starting to malfunctioning! STOP!" If you continue to play when you see those artifacts - well... It can be weeks or months, but your computer will eventually fail. And bear in mind that if a graphic card fails in a laptop - especially when it's integrated one - there is absolutely no option to replace it.

That's for graphics alone. But - if you play the Sims on a computer (or more likely a laptop) which is not a gaming thing (or put it straight - a weak machine) and you add more and more expansion packs, CC, stuff packs etc you'll end up with an unplayable game at best. Or a completely broken - beyond repair - computer. Not a nice thing.
  • Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    I have no issues with Sims 3 killing laptops, even one that theoretically shouldn't have been able to play it all. Then again, I usually cannot play more than an hour due to visual issues!
  • DecrainDecrain Posts: 893 Member
    Elf67 wrote: »
    I have no issues with Sims 3 killing laptops, even one that theoretically shouldn't have been able to play it all. Then again, I usually cannot play more than an hour due to visual issues!

As I wrote earlier. If you have troubles with graphics that usually means your graphics card is malfunctioning and you're going to break it.