Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimguruGraham on why you should buy the game

Comments

• CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited August 2014
    stylsim wrote:
    Sigh, give the guy a break. Everyone has been criticizing him and the rest of the team for months. I'm sure there were many things he wanted to say but couldn't because it would hurt his job or make him look bad. Imagine being a developer and reading through the forums. It's very discouraging and honestly makes some of you look like brats. None of you have any idea what they went through to create this game. They did the best they could with the deadline EA forced on them. 80% of whatever you're complaining about will probably be patched in later anyway.
    Agreed. I wouldn't really force much on Maxis anymore, since it was EA who set the deadline and refused to delay the game even more :\
  • SummerskydreamerSummerskydreamer Posts: 1,681 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sigh, give the guy a break. Everyone has been criticizing him and the rest of the team for months. I'm sure there were many things he wanted to say but couldn't because it would hurt his job or make him look bad. Imagine being a developer and reading through the forums. It's very discouraging and honestly makes some of you look like brats. None of you have any idea what they went through to create this game. They did the best they could with the deadline EA forced on them. 80% of whatever you're complaining about will probably be patched in later anyway.

Yea you are right but we should not buy why pay for something that should have been in the base game in the first place? Oh well it was just a simple question there i geuss for more money is all that is only my opinion do not get onto me for this lol.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    edited August 2014
    1. I understand describing a leap in words may be difficult, that's why we've been clamoring to see actually effing FREE PLAY.

2. Removing life stages and elminating visual cues to differ others (such as the teen height) is not what I characterize as minutiae.

3. The proof will be in the pudding at launch, and maybe this big gamble will pay off, and pull in a whole new set of younger fans. They sure as f*** don't give a crap about older fans who expect to see more not less in their base games.

4. I'm in the angry bitter stage, and getting bitterer with every attempt EAxis is making to wrangle us into just opening up our wallets and paying premium prices for every parted out piece of a game. I will hope the game when launched will prove me overly cynical, and keep an eye on it. But if they REALLY think they are in the service business and not game development, they better be ready to deliver.
  • Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited August 2014
    stylsim wrote:

Well, if it does get patched in, I might end up buying it. But at the moment EA seem to want us to spend a heck of a lot of money and hope stuff gets fixed later - which after sims city (and to some extent sims3) I'm just not prepared to take that risk anymore.

And I don't really see why Graham (of 'things change' fame) deserves a break. He's a senior figure on the sims3 who lists PR as one of his skills on linked in - I expect better than things change / I don't know where you got that idea (when talking about the misunderstanding about colours affecting moods that was started by devs / producers in interviews with simsVIP and TSR) / you're worrying about the minutiae.
  • rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    edited August 2014
    stylsim wrote:

This is true regarding the criticism, much of which has been nasty and personal-never productive if the goal is to actually change anything.

And I see no reason to expect it to be patched later if we DON'T RAISE A HUGE STINK.

So, I'm bitter, angry, and fighting to see a game I have enjoyed for years have a fully realized next iteration. I'll try not to make it personal, but if anyone tells me to shut up, they can kiss my simulated ....
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited August 2014
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    JoeWow1003 wrote:
    It's like people are totally dismissing all of the major changes being made in The Sims 4 because there are a few minor things that aren't in it. Many of which people hardly ever used.

"A few minor things?"

I wouldn't call an entire open world a minor thing. I wouldn't call the ability to edit the world and place lots wherever you want minor. I also wouldn't call the ability to change the color and texture on just about everything in the entire world minor. A full life stage? Also not minor. And more.

You can feel however you like about the game. It's ok if we don't agree. But these aren't minor things.

So what does the sims 4 have?
    CAS with a few extra sliders but the sims look like clay dolls with plastic hair, they also maaged to cut out some of the best of of previous CAS and added limitations... mmmm so much better.

Emotions, a few extea eyebrow movements and sims that are even more annoying that a hungry or sleeping sim? I want to play god not contantly try to keep a emotionally unstable sim neutral.

Aaand that's it? Most build mode things are already possible plus we have terrain rools and MOO.

Sims 4 just seems like a ray of online gaming.
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited August 2014
    stylsim wrote:

This isn't a charity. He chose to take on the challenge and is being paid for it. He's out their pushing the product, and not everyone is buying his line. I see no problem with that. Some people are kind of rude-on both sides of this debate-and that's a shame. If people started calling him at home/on his private time, that's out of bounds. But a forum designed for gaming discussions? I thinks that's appropriate.

I agree with you that they probably did the best they could with limited time. I don't agree that 'it will PROBABLY be fixed later' is reason to lay off the criticism.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited August 2014
    When I saw the thread title, I thought his justifications would be hilariously pathetic. For once, I'm not disappointed.

If you've figured out how to give a computer program actual emotions, what are you doing here? Go collect your Nobel prize. Otherwise, you simulated emotions ten years ago, and you're simulating them now. What's the difference?
  • SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited August 2014
    Taranatar9 wrote:
    When I saw the thread title, I thought his justifications would be hilariously pathetic. For once, I'm not disappointed.

If you've figured out how to give a computer program actual emotions, what are you doing here? Go collect your Nobel prize. Otherwise, you simulated emotions ten years ago, and you're simulating them now. What's the difference?

Nothing. Marketing. They're using different words to sell a watered down version of the emotions that have been there all along.

Otherwise, yeah. EA would be getting a Nobel prize and they'd be on the cover of every scientific magazine known to mankind.
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, Graham. Not this time.

Sims 4 has diverged too far from what is acceptable to me personally in a sandbox life simulation. If the argument it to then try Sims 4 as an entirely different and new game, it still doesn't fly. If I'm going to try an entirely new game, I'll buy GTA V or Skyrim.
  • kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited August 2014
    Taranatar9 wrote:

:thumbup:

Well said.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited August 2014
    Taranatar9 wrote:

Mauahahha this is great <3
    It's wjat I've been feeling all this time. Maybe if they created a better game they would have promoted more than new eyebrow movements :lol:
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited August 2014
    And by "deep socialization" he means having the same animation but calling it different things? So whether you "chat" with someone or "have a deep conversation" with someone is the same animation, just called something different?
  • InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited August 2014
    06Bon06 wrote:
    Taranatar9 wrote:

Mauahahha this is great <3
    It's wjat I've been feeling all this time. Maybe if they created a better game they would have promoted more than new eyebrow movements :lol:

Yeah they did this 10 years ago, apparently they forgot. :roll:
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited August 2014
    I just want them (the Sims Team) to be honest with us. That's seriously all I want. Their live gameplays are so fake and so scripted. I just want the to come out and say:

"Sorry guys, we flopped on this one. We were going to make this an online game but then saw how everyone hated that. So we cut the online part out but were still rushed by EA to get the game out by September. So we had to cut corners to get the game out in time. Everyone can have Sims 4 at a discounted price for $20. We are going to start over fresh, bring Will Wright back, and work under Steam instead of EA. There will be the new Sims 4 you've long been waiting for coming 2020"

In my dream world, this is what would happen lol.
  • sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    edited August 2014
    People have misinterpreted my question about the gallery. I KNOW CC won't transfer over (yet, like another poster said, "You have to trust no-one will hack it") I am concerned about things that not all websites can catch easily, namely malware.

Let me give you an example.

I asked for something from a friend (a file), I trust this friend not to give me any known viruses/malware. I get her email and the attachment scans clean in the email browser's virus scan. I download it and try to open it. My personal virus detection says there is a virus. I ask my virus protection to clean it up. It says it had. I then get a program (.exe corruption) error pop up of the program I used to open the file. The malware had backdoored its way into my computer and I had to have another (malware bytes) clean up my system. The malware had already gotten into my registry at this point, changing file names and moving items. I ended up at one point hard shutting down my pc and had CkDsk say that there was an error and about a dozen orphaned files. It took nearly a day of working on my pc to get it back up to par.

I HAVE found malware and viruses attached to Exchange items, so I know whatever system that is currently being used obviously is very easy for viruses and malware to be transferred over to a downloader, who just clicks "add to game".

SO, what is to say this can't happen to people who "instantly" downloads things from the gallery into their game without virus/malware checking in the first place?

Yes, at the moment CC cannot transfer, but that could possibly change. AND this is being based on a demo, which as we all know is not a complete CAS (at the moment). It has been confirmed that CAS Demo is not a complete version of it and there will be more options when the game is released.

However, CC is NOT my concern... viruses and malware are. Will their website CATCH malware/viruses, probably not. Will they give us the option to save file? God I hope so!
    My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979
    edited August 2014
    People have misinterpreted my question about the gallery. I KNOW CC won't transfer over (yet, like another poster said, "You have to trust no-one will hack it") I am concerned about things that not all websites can catch easily, namely malware.

Let me give you an example.

I asked for something from a friend (a file), I trust this friend not to give me any known viruses/malware. I get her email and the attachment scans clean in the email browser's virus scan. I download it and try to open it. My personal virus detection says there is a virus. I ask my virus protection to clean it up. It says it had. I then get a program (.exe corruption) error pop up of the program I used to open the file. The malware had backdoored its way into my computer and I had to have another (malware bytes) clean up my system. The malware had already gotten into my registry at this point, changing file names and moving items. I ended up at one point hard shutting down my pc and had CkDsk say that there was an error and about a dozen orphaned files. It took nearly a day of working on my pc to get it back up to par.

I HAVE found malware and viruses attached to Exchange items, so I know whatever system that is currently being used obviously is very easy for viruses and malware to be transferred over to a downloader, who just clicks "add to game".

SO, what is to say this can't happen to people who "instantly" downloads things from the gallery into their game without virus/malware checking in the first place?

Yes, at the moment CC cannot transfer, but that could possibly change. AND this is being based on a demo, which as we all know is not a complete CAS (at the moment). It has been confirmed that CAS Demo is not a complete version of it and there will be more options when the game is released.

However, CC is NOT my concern... viruses and malware are. Will their website CATCH malware/viruses, probably not. Will they give us the option to save file? God I hope so!

I can understand your concerns, the problem is there is no answer to this question that I am even remotely aware of.
    edited August 2014
    To address the cupcake thingy. Yes, a lot of aspects of the sims franchise is based on non-reality. However, the non-reality was generally aesthetically pleasing, meaning it fit decently into regular story telling/ building/ design. A room sized machine does not fit in aesthetically. I have no use for a machine that will take up so much room, I have to build a room dedicated to it. It won't look good in a kitchen that I build. I don't build roller-rink sized rooms. My houses are cozy and realistic (regarless of what life form chooses to live in them). When I design, I think about the aesthetics of a room, what will fit into that design and what would be completely out of place... such as a chemistry table in a formal sitting room... that would never happen in my builds. A cupcake machine would fit in a kitchen nicely... if it were aesthetically pleasing. This is not. It belongs in a garage... oh wait... no cars... no garage needed. :roll:

My whole point of my cupcake post was to say it was a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 unneeded machine. WHY couldn't we just bake cupcakes in the oven?
    edited August 2014
    double post
  • katelynnmcdanielkatelynnmcdaniel Posts: 304 Member
    edited August 2014
    I agree with people being to hard on them I blame the company and the CEO's of EA the gurus probably tried extremely hard to salvage the game on a very short timeline(not that I agree with the things they took out) Also I doubt they would be able to say anything critical about the game they probably have to tell people that this best thing they ever created.
  • Jdavij20033Jdavij20033 Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited August 2014
    Halle_M wrote:

Sims 4 has diverged too far from what is acceptable to me personally in a sandbox life simulation. If the argument it to then try Sims 4 as an entirely different and new game, it still doesn't fly. If I'm going to try an entirely new game, I'll buy GTA V or Skyrim.

Definitely buy Skyrim.

50 Reasons why Skyrim is and wil always be the most beautiful game of all time

Skyrim-Detail-Low-SliderComparison.png
    Skyrim-Mammoths.jpg
    TESV+2012-07-26+15-37-56-29.png
    2011-12-29_00005.jpg
    20120124080339!Riften_2.png
    Dawnstar_00.jpg
    Cicero1_1321553906.jpg

Okay, I'm done.
    rifJadC.png
  • stylsimstylsim Posts: 222 Member
    edited August 2014
    stylsim wrote:

This isn't a charity. He chose to take on the challenge and is being paid for it. He's out their pushing the product, and not everyone is buying his line. I see no problem with that. Some people are kind of rude-on both sides of this debate-and that's a shame. If people started calling him at home/on his private time, that's out of bounds. But a forum designed for gaming discussions? I thinks that's appropriate.

I agree with you that they probably did the best they could with limited time. I don't agree that 'it will PROBABLY be fixed later' is reason to lay off the criticism.

The problem is that people aren't having 'gaming discussions'. They're outright bashing anything that comes out and arguing back and forth. People have even been sending rude messages to him and the other gurus on their twitter accounts. And I think people are forgetting that this is a BASE game. Not everything is going to be included. When ts3 first came out tons of things were missing that were later added on through patches, eps, and sps.
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited August 2014
    stylsim wrote:
    Not everything is going to be included.

I know that. We know that. People know that. It's not an outstanding concept to grasp. What a lot of people are angry over is the fact that they are cutting so many base game features. That isn't a difficult concept to understand either.
    (I'm not saying that's any excuse to harass the gurus, because it isn't.)
    edited August 2014
    Halle_M wrote:

Definitely buy Skyrim.

50 Reasons why Skyrim is and wil always be the most beautiful game of all time

Skyrim-Detail-Low-SliderComparison.png
    Skyrim-Mammoths.jpg
    TESV+2012-07-26+15-37-56-29.png
    2011-12-29_00005.jpg
    20120124080339!Riften_2.png
    Dawnstar_00.jpg
    Cicero1_1321553906.jpg

Okay, I'm done.

Skyrim is so awsome.
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited August 2014
    I will buy GTA V for PC.
    (Watch in full screen and HD please)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DBrG2YjqQA&amp;list=PLDDECDF9A83BDDAE2
    THAT's how TS4 should look like (including the physics engine). I would buy that in a heartbeat, even with all the things missing!
    This space is for rent.