Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimguruGraham on why you should buy the game

This is from honeywell's site.
http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/

Interesting quote:
"I know you’ve already heard and read the official "pitch" from numerous places, so instead I’ll offer this… Four main entries into the franchise and it becomes more of a challenge to explain the nuances of what’s different from one to the next. For example, we say something along the line of, "hey, these new emotions Sims have are pretty rad", and people counter with, "but my Sims have always had emotions". Well… ok, maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven’t had anything like this before."

Comments

• pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited August 2014
    Dearra95 wrote:
    This is from honeywell's site.
    http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/

Interesting quote:
    "I know you’ve already heard and read the official "pitch" from numerous places, so instead I’ll offer this… Four main entries into the franchise and it becomes more of a challenge to explain the nuances of what’s different from one to the next. For example, we say something along the line of, "hey, these new emotions Sims have are pretty rad", and people counter with, "but my Sims have always had emotions". Well… ok, maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven’t had anything like this before."

He basically admits they've fooled us before and asks us to trust his new pitch?

Don't break my heart, Graham... :cry:
  • Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited August 2014
    So even after all the furore about the sims4, all they can come up with for why we should buy the game is emotions??

Words fail me.
    edited August 2014
    Claire17 wrote:
    So even after all the furore about the sims4, all they can come up with for why we should buy the game is emotions??

Words fail me.

This game elicits all sorts of emotions from me.
  • Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited August 2014
    So... buy ts4 because emotions. He is right though, sims have never had emotions like this before but imo that's a good thing. These emotions look super simplistic and like they will really get in the way of how I would want to play and just be an intrusive nuisance. In past sims games you could tell what your sim was feeling or thinking but you didn't have to jump through hoops to get the sim to behave in the way you as the player wanted. Now it's more like your sims are playing you and you just have to deal with it.

And as far as it being difficult to describe what is different from one iteration to the next at this point, well that is bs. They could have done many things to make this an improvement on the past games, they just didn't. Also, they've done plenty of explaining why this game is different, it's just that it's different because of all the things they left out and all the features they crippled.
  • KramYraeloKramYraelo Posts: 734 Member
    edited August 2014
    4373_FailSoundButton_1_t.jpg
  • JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    edited August 2014
    Graham Nardone attempts to answer that question at Mod The Sims and in the process ***** off fans — inadvertently I’m sure — by dismissing our complaints and concerns over the missing features as “minutia of differences”.

This person sure does feel as though they speak for the entire Sims fanbase.
    pguida wrote:
    He basically admits they've fooled us before and asks us to trust his new pitch?

That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying they did a good job at making it seem like Sims had actual in game emotions. Just like the entire idea behind The Sims is to make it seem like they are real people with real lives and real feelings.
    Claire17 wrote:

He also said "I personally find myself enjoying the deep socialization between Sims and the enhanced sense of an intimate community of neighbors and friends."
  • YvonnebNgoyYvonnebNgoy Posts: 18
    edited August 2014
    All I can think about is back in TS2, I believe, when your sim would refuse to do anything you set it to do because he or she wasn't feeling up to it and that drove me crazy. I don't care that much about the emotions. The level of emotions in TS3 was fine with me even if it wasn't as fleshed out as it is in TS4. This version of the sims really doesn't cater to my playing style at all. It isn't worth what they are charging at all. I will wait until late LATE next year to buy it (if I decided to).
    edited August 2014
    JoeWow1003 wrote:
    He also said "I personally find myself enjoying the deep socialization between Sims and the enhanced sense of an intimate community of neighbors and friends."

Kind of sounds like that is all there is to do, socialize with neighbors and friends.

So, yeah, enjoy that.
    edited August 2014
    KramYraelo wrote:
    Kind of sounds like that is all there is to do, socialize with neighbors and friends.

Except we know that's not true at all.
    edited August 2014
    Could someone at EA please transfer all the producers to the mobile gaming, get someone who understands the concept of a sandbox life simulator in and start over with a proper sequel to the sims?
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited August 2014
    Lol I guess EA pulled Graham into the dark side. :cry:
  • 3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    edited August 2014
    Claire17 wrote:

Words fail me.

That is all the game has in it. There isn't anything in there other than that, tactile and intuitive building and CAS.

Edit to add: But Graham, we haven't even seen this to know if it is enough to buy, because all we get to see are partying bros and sims dying from laughter over pee. If you actual release an unscripted demo showing these emotions in everyday sim life maybe we could see for ourselves. Reading and hearing about it, for me, at least doesn't make up for the loss of my family and generational play.
    edited August 2014
    LauriApp wrote:
    Claire17 wrote:

Words fail me.

That is all the game has in it. Their isn't anything in there other than that, tactile and intuitive building and CAS.

Okay so far we've determined that Sims 4 has emotions, tactile and intuitive building and CAS and deep socialization between sims and an enhanced sense of an intimate community with neighbors and friends.

Okay now...quick! Besides these things name everything Sims 3 had on launch date!
    edited August 2014
    pguida wrote:
    That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying they did a good job at making it seem like Sims had actual in game emotions. Just like the entire idea behind The Sims is to make it seem like they are real people with real lives and real feelings.

That makes NO sense. They can only make seem sims have emotions. Sims cannot have ACTUAL emotions. If they did a good job at making it seem like Sims had actual in game emotions, that's as good as it gets.

Therefore, I stand by what I stated.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,612 Member
    edited August 2014
    LauriApp wrote:
    Claire17 wrote:

Words fail me.

That is all the game has in it. Their isn't anything in there other than that, tactile and intuitive building and CAS.

This is the truth. If there was more, they would've shown us by now.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • vicaddictvicaddict Posts: 340 Member
    edited August 2014
    JoeWow1003 wrote:
    That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying they did a good job at making it seem like Sims had actual in game emotions.

That maybe true, but the questions still stands as why the new system is supposed to be such a huge improvement. Personally, I suspected that hese emotions won't work different than the moodlets and traits that we had before and from what we have seen so far I have been right. That is not a big deal. I don't dislike the emotion thingy, I just don't see the significance. They spent all the time promoting just one feature, emotions, and to me it is merely the natural evolution of the system in place. I am sure I'll like it, if they balance ist, but so far it is hardly impressing, let alone a feature that sells me the game.

Just like the entire idea behind The Sims is to make it seem like they are real people with real lives and real feelings.

Indeed. But how close are reality and the idea? So far it is all about bros and over the top emotions. So far they are even promoting weirder stories and weirder sims than we had ever before. How come they scrapped basically everything you needed to have that life like impression? They did away toddlers, made infants objects (girls be lucky, they didn't treat you like an object with all the bro'motions running wild), they scrapped cars, bikes and gave us the very realistic trans mat beam. They gave us life like neighbourhoods with like 10 houses, but hey it is intimate! Bro-tastic! They scrapped story progression. I understand that it was buggy in TS3, but how can this game be a life like experience, when your sims are the only ones evolving? Not sure about you, but neither Obama, nor North Korean leaders attend my parties. Not sure, if that's a good or a bad thing, though.

The thing is, in my oppinion they scrapped everything that gave me the impression of having a lively und populated neighbourhood. Now it's just your sim, your homelot and teleporting around to meet sims, who just stagnate. It is the exact opposite.

And here is why... because it was supposed to be a simplified online game. Even though they reject the idea, it is evident. You can see it in every little detail. This game was supposed to be some sort of second life experience, with lots of young adults interacting with other players. Even the emotions make sense, since every MMO offers these over the top emotions.
    Claire17 wrote:

That maybe he personall oppinion, yet he is supposed to sell us the game and I'm not buying the fact that all they can come up with is emotions. Heck, they don't even mention the routing system or multi tasking ability anymore.

As of right now I see a whole bunch of things that thy scrapped and all I see is... well it's fells like Graham telling is "Hey, since you all love CASt so much, we created a new awesome colour!". The sad thing is, I can honestly see Graham trying to sell us a new colour as new expansion pack. Wanna know what's his favourite colour? Brown. Because it has bro in it. Really?! Sadly yes, really.

Now I am no hater. I wish everyone a happy simming with this game, I just don't see why anyone would want it. I just don't see it.
    edited August 2014
    JoeWow1003 wrote:
    KramYraelo wrote:

Except we know that's not true at all.

Really Joe? Please show me your game play videos. Oh wait, you haven't even played the game yet.
    So you know JACK.

Yeah, that's what I thought.
  • s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    edited August 2014
    The pictures... I can't get over the pictures. Everything looks like it was molded out of clay- no texture or definition at all. I am not impressed.
    edited August 2014
    JoeWow1003 wrote:
    LauriApp wrote:
    Claire17 wrote:

Words fail me.

Okay so far we've determined that Sims 4 has emotions, tactile and intuitive building and CAS and deep socialization between sims and an enhanced sense of an intimate community with neighbors and friends.

Okay now...quick! Besides these things name everything Sims 3 had on launch date!

I don't have two hours... So, just a taste... Open, large worlds. Only one, fast load (base game alone was lighting fast). You could switch back and forth between sims in different locations seamlessly. Better hair, with deep 4-tiered free color costumization and hair texture. Individual eyelashes. Make-up with millions of colors and opacity. Much more skin colors. Cast, that made clothes and objects possible to be matched and overhauled in millions of ways. Pools. Lake tools. Terrain tools. Objec4s with better, more detail textures, that looked like metal and wood, not just plastic. Actual babies, teenagers and elders with individual meshes, animations and toddlers. Libraries. Public pools. Resstaurant where you could dine outside. Regular careers, 10 at that. Dishwasher and trash compactors. Cars. Ghosts...

OK. Tired already. But clearly A LOT. More than previous games. And kept 90% of TS1 and TS2 features. EXPANDING ON THEM. Not cutting back and moving backwards.
    edited August 2014
    JoeWow1003 wrote:
    LauriApp wrote:
    Claire17 wrote:

Words fail me.

I can't work out if that last bit is serious or not?

Off the top of my head:

Open world
    Swimming pools
    Toddlers
    Babies you could take anywhere
    CASt
    Colour wheel
    Cars
    Car pool
    Jobs that didnt make me want to headbutt the desk
    Jobs that weren't careers (spa, grocery store, bookshop)
    Maid
    Fireman
    Story progression

And so on...
    edited August 2014
    pguida wrote:
    That makes NO sense. They can only make seem sims have emotions. Sims cannot have ACTUAL emotions. If they did a good job at making it seem like Sims had actual in game emotions, that's as good as it gets.

I didn't say Sims had actual emotions. I said they did a good job at making it seem like Sims had in game emotions.

You know. Things like making them stomp their feet to make it seem like they were annoyed or crying when someone died.

It gave the impression that your Sim was having an emotion but the "emotion" lasted like 2 seconds.

Your Sim would go from being angry at someone then two seconds later they are laughing at a joke.

It was all pseudo pseudo feelings.

He said they have expanded upon the notion of emotions to make it seem more realistic.
    vicaddict wrote:
    Now it's just your sim, your homelot and teleporting around to meet sims, who just stagnate.

Sims games have pretty much always been about your Sim and their interactions with other Sims. Teleporting around to meet new Sims...that's basically what Sims 3 is as well, instead of watching your Sim ride in a car for a minute to get to their destination you now teleport there.

True the other Sims stagnating doesn't sound like too much fun but again that's how the games have pretty much always been.
    vicaddict wrote:
    he is supposed to sell us the game and I'm not buying the fact that all they can come up with is emotions.

In this very post of yours you do exactly why he said it's so hard trying to convince people what's new and exciting about this game because the conversation always quickly goes towards "But this isn't in the game...and this should be in the game..."
    KramYraelo wrote:
    Really Joe? Please show me your game play videos. Oh wait, you haven't even played the game yet.
    So you know JACK.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Yet you've played the game enough to know all there is to do is socialize with neighbors in the game?

Isn't that a fine how do ya do? :lol:
    edited August 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Open, large worlds.

Which is completely devoid of people until you visited a lot.
    pguida wrote:
    Only one, fast load (base game alone was lighting fast).

That's not a game feature.
    pguida wrote:
    Better hair, with deep 4-tiered free color costumization and hair texture. Individual eyelashes. Make-up with millions of colors and opacity. Much more skin colors. Cast, that made clothes and objects possible to be matched and overhauled in millions of ways.

This all falls under CAS.
    pguida wrote:
    Objec4s with better, more detail textures, that looked like metal and wood, not just plastic.

This is personal taste, not a feature.
    pguida wrote:
    Regular careers, 10 at that.

There are careers in Sims 4.
    And kept 90% of TS1 and TS2 features. EXPANDING ON THEM. Not cutting back and moving backwards.

The main things you mentioned being in Sims 3 at launch compared to Sims 4 at launch are pools and an open world.
    Claire17 wrote:
    Maid
    Fireman

So Sims 4 having a really polished CAS and having fleshed out emotions is "Meh" but Sims 3 having maids and firefighters really made the game shine?

It's like people are totally dismissing all of the major changes being made in The Sims 4 because there are a few minor things that aren't in it. Many of which people hardly ever used.
    edited August 2014
    JoeWow1003 wrote:
    pguida wrote:

Are people purposefully misreading my posts today or what?

No. You are just failing at making sense...
    edited August 2014
    pguida wrote:
    No. You are just failing at making sense...

So when I say they did a good job at making it seem like Sims had in game emotions and you reply with it's impossible for them to have real emotions that is me not making sense? :/
    edited August 2014
    JoeWow1003 - you asked, we told you.

If you like what you see of the game, fine. But do you seriously think line-by-line attempted rebuttals are going to change anyone's mind? At this point there is more chance of hell freezing over than me buying the game before it's in the bargain bin.