Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Plea For Help From Those Lucky Folks Who See The Bonus Points Ads Frequently

SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
I rarely see the bonus points ad - I mean, like once a month - and then I only see one before they disappear.

I occasionally hear that some folks see them every day and have gotten tons of free points that way. I would love to be one of them.

Is there a tip or a trick you could share to seeing them more often?

Update: I saw that this thread was near the top of the sub-forum and just wanted to let everyone know that I *have* been getting the ads lately. Thank you for all the help, though.
Post edited by Schweighsr on

Comments

• Options
    GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited August 2014
    I usually see them when visiting friends' wishlists.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited August 2014
    I don't know if this is the case but it could be that EA uses target adverts and you're not part of the the target.

First of all remember the Sim points aren't free. Advertisers pay for these points and give them away. So it's not EA giving away points. Advertisers pay for them.

If EA IS using target advertising (and they might not be) then it would work like this.

For example: If Acme Company buys 10,000 points to "give away" to people viewing ads, the Acme Company could in theory limit who sees them. Let's say the Acme Company only sells in the USA but not any other country. Thus they would tell EA, don't allow the ads we pay for, to be given to anyone from any other country except the USA. Or they could carry it out further, let's say the only sell in a few US states. The Acme Company could limit that too.

Then when you view ads, the website "reads" where you are. One of the way it reads is through your ISP. This is not always correct. For instance, I work in Chicago but my works ISP reads Pennsylvania. But there are many other ways of getting your location.

Now EA may not use target adverting, so the above may not apply.

In that case check your browser, any extension may be blocking it. For instance, Ad Block of almost any sort. Sometimes it's hard to tell what an extension or app is blocking. In that case it's best to use a "clean" browser with no applications or apps.
  • Options
    MommylandMommyland Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited August 2014
    I didn't see them for ages, then one day a few weeks ago I bought some sim points it didn't go through so I cleared cookies, history and logged out. Then since then they have appeared again. So maybe clear everything it may help.

Like chimark said the ads are targeted. They go by your search history and various other cookies kinda like facebook does. I get some ads in the pacific northwest that they don't get in say California or Texas, but they get some ads I don't so it kinda depends on the things you do online as well as your location.
  • Options
    SnorkelbucketSnorkelbucket Posts: 62 Member
    edited August 2014
    I go around the store clicking into different areas and sections. After each page loads, I wait about a minute. In that time, I'll scroll up and down, and I'll click the area where an ad should be. Don't know why that works, might just be chrome!

After I get an ad, I'll let the page reload and see if I can get another one on that page. Usually right after my 24 hour time period is up I'll get 4 or so on one page. As the ads become harder to find, I'll start going onto individual item pages and other pages that I suspect get less traffic. So that includes wishlists, old ugly build mode individual items, etc. The sets seem to get more traffic. I'll also go onto newer content pages, and sometimes I find an ad or two on those. Still scrolling and clicking!

After I get the original jackpot of 4 - 7 ads that were relatively easy to find, I hang out on the daily deal, sale, and main store page. I work from home, so it's really easy for me to just keep the store open and every twenty minutes click on another page. I usually get another 1 - 3 ads throughout the day this way. Then I'll click on upcoming DD items, and sometimes I'll get another 3 ads or so on that item's 'not-yet-for-sale' page.

As for the ads, there's one ad that never plays on my computer. It used to open, I'd press play, it'd be black for a bit, and then it'd show me "Play again?" and I couldn't get it to work at all, and I'd have to refresh the window. I didn't get any simpoints from it, and it counted against how many ads they would show me that day.
    The way to get around that, at least on my system, is let it open and press play. Then it'll go black for a second, if it pops up asking you to hit play again, hit it. The button will gray out, and quickly click that again! It'll play three seconds of black and then give you simpoints. If you don't hit the gray button (which I didn't think to do!) then you get the "play again?" that is super broken.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    strangeseraphstrangeseraph Posts: 369 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think they are targeted. I get a lot of french car ads even though I don't speak french. But I do get a lot of allergy ads and I have terrible seasonal allergies.

What I do: open a ton of daily deals pages, until an ad shows up that I can click. :)
    Jenny

Doop Dee Doop
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited August 2014
    The targeting of ads might maybe be even more convoluted. Not sure if this is just a coincidence or not but right after I "owned the store" the ads stopped appearing for me. I was hoping to get free points so I could give them away (in the form of gifting) but no such luck.
  • Options
    KramYraeloKramYraelo Posts: 734 Member
    edited August 2014
    I tend to skip around a lot. Usually enter through the store main portal. Get several adds there. Then click the Sale link, get a few there, dig a little in the sale items and get a few there. Hit the Daily Deal and get a few there. Click links in the various sections and come up with a few more. The back button used to be like a reset, and I could rinse and repeat sometimes almost doubling my money.

But they've fixed that. However I've found if I time it right (meaning I haven't gotten on too late to try the tricks above) I can get about a 1.00 to 1.20 a night. There have been two exceptions when it just seemed to keep going, the first I racked up about 12.00 several months ago in points, the next about a month ago when it kept going till I hit about 8.00. But those were just glitches in the Matrix I'm sure. I didn't feel bad though, I just clicking that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 button and it worked :lol:

Hopefully the ads will stick around past this weekends "maintenance". I've got a bad feeling they won't though. So, I've built up enough I can buy the next venue coming out and have a little left over. So...enjoy the clock :D

Regards,

Krammy
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited August 2014
    Under the Ads button there is (in small print) a disclosure that states that you only get 5 chances depending on how much content you own (or something like that). I see the ads everyday and own almost everything in the store. But usually I can only click on it 2-3 times each time I visit the cite. I visited about 6pm and got two ads, at 10pm I got 2 ads but this time, 11:30pm I didn't get any. Sign out of your account, and close browser then come back in about 30 minutes, go to daily deal, without signing in, and wait about 5 minutes. If they are there (not signed in) sign in and see if they are there then. If not check your security settings, they could be keeping them from you also. Hope this is helpful. Good Simming.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Oh and, when you get those videos that don't play and just go back to the play button (well I get those), drag the progress bar on the bottom all the way right, click play and click it again quickly. You'll probably get a "Play Again" elongated button. Click that and wait a second, 75% of the time I get the "Thank You" pop up and the point.

Never surrender! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited August 2014
    maybe thats one of the things thats gonna be fixed...well maybe.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Under the Ads button there is (in small print) a disclosure that states that you only get 5 chances depending on how much content you own (or something like that). I see the ads everyday and own almost everything in the store. But usually I can only click on it 2-3 times each time I visit the cite. I visited about 6pm and got two ads, at 10pm I got 2 ads but this time, 11:30pm I didn't get any. Sign out of your account, and close browser then come back in about 30 minutes, go to daily deal, without signing in, and wait about 5 minutes. If they are there (not signed in) sign in and see if they are there then. If not check your security settings, they could be keeping them from you also. Hope this is helpful. Good Simming.

Not to be argumentative, but this is the disclaimer showing up under the buttons I see:
    *The number of videos available to view per user will vary depending on inventory. SimPoints may take up to 24 hours to appear after viewing a video.

And I own a lot of the store content, probably 80% of it now. Maybe it is a regional thing that shows you a different disclaimer?

Regards,

Krammy
  • Options
    Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm getting those adds recently on worlds home page. Sometimes I'm abble to add on my account 5 SP, however I'm owning all purchaseable store items (incl. MMAO, but I'm still able to purchase some already items in game - ex.: PC door from Grim's ghostly manor and shower from Skylight venue). Sometimes I'm getting error
      "408 Request Time-out Your browser didn't send a complete request in time."
    (using Google Chrome and ADSL).
    KramYraelo wrote:
    And I own a lot of the store content, probably 80% of it now. Maybe it is a regional thing that shows you a different disclaimer?
    Some curious thing what I've noticed: Opening launcher I see simpoints button and I have all things on it written in english. It shows me I'm logged off. After I've logged, simpoints button disappears and all titles are in italian language (in which is base game already installed).
    If I'll not login, before loading new game (some of worlds already installed in game), I'll see my screen name and simpoints account. If I'll login, I see it too.
    If I'll acess on this site while loading game, it requires login from me (I have ticked "keep me connected", in game too).
    I do not need further Simpoints :( , I'm posting this my observation - because I really think it has something to do with confused regions.
    PS: Origin, game, store and another software are up to date.
    Edited adding exact quote of 408 error.
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • Options
    JlkealJlkeal Posts: 99 Member
    edited August 2014
    I have noticed for me, that I can just refresh the page I am on, sometimes the ads will pop up again. And I do think it might be regional like others have said, because most of the vacation ads I see are from other states that are near my state. For a while, I was getting a LOT of KY and TN ads. Now I see them on TV.
  • Options
    17mars17mars Posts: 263 Member
    edited August 2014
    Try a different device or different computer. Sometimes I get them at work and not at home. I rarely get them on my kindle fire but do sometimes.
  • Options
    Daboogadie2Daboogadie2 Posts: 352 Member
    edited August 2014
    I must be heavily targeted, I've been getting the monthly releases with free Simpoints since Jan. After the July set, I had 265 left and today I have 5540. That's 175 per day, average. (I don't sleep much)
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    edited August 2014
    I actually suspect it has something to do with individual accounts, and although ad targeting might play some part in what ads you actually see, I don't think that is always the issue. I got the old ads regularly, then when they changed to international I was suddenly blocked. No matter what I did, or what browser I tried the ads refused to show up. Then just as suddenly my ads came back for me, but interestingly this was right after Origin fixed my account to repair an issue I had that kept me from being able to download my games from Origin. It could be a coincidence, but I actually suspect that these two things were somehow connected.

Sadly, for those people who are not getting ads, I have no real advice, beyond try switching between browsers, and give the store pages enough time to fully load. Generally the ads are the last thing on the page to load, and they often show up just as I am ready to give up on them.
  • Options
    Naley22Naley22 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited August 2014
    i am in canada and i see them quite a bit, i watch the daily deal page and they pop up a lot there, but if i need some i tend to just click around the store and i get one or 2 to pop up that way. i hope that helps :)
  • Options
    murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'd say just keep trying -- those ads hide out in the most godforsaken places, like other people's wishlists, Make me an Offer, the Daily Deal Page, the Launcher welcome page, and only SOMETIMES at the Store itself or your wishlist page. It's a wild goose chase; only VERY recently has the ad button stayed put for me. I don't know how people are racking up so many points; the most I can get at a time is maybe 50SP or if I'm lucky 100SP.
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited August 2014
    I've found that the ads are very dependent on where I am at the time. If I access the site from home, I get the ads. If I access the site from where I work, no ads. I'm in Boise for my job this week and I'm seeing ads. Strange.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    iamtheborgiamtheborg Posts: 127 Member
    edited August 2014
    I didn't see them (or even bother looking for them) for a long time, but this past week I've had really good luck using Chrome with Adblock on "pause" (I've never seen them using Firefox). I see them throughout various pages in the store. The ads take a few seconds to appear even after the page is completely loaded, so I always let a page sit for at least a minute or two before moving onto another. Even then the ads are sporadic, but usually if I browse through a several pages in the store, I will find one. I've been fortunate enough to get nearly 700sp free in the past week. Good luck!
  • Options
    soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,262 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sent a little something to help you out :-)
  • Options
    boggieboggie Posts: 348 Member
    edited August 2014
    I can get the ads any time of day, but I get the most after 11:00 pm (pacific time. Than I open up about 3 pages of the sims store and keep them running until it ends.
  • Options
    SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited August 2014
    OMG, thank you for all the presents - I am overwhelmed at how generous everyone has been!

• Options
    EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    I wonder how long they will be available on the old forum?
    Origin ID: nik24x7