Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Only 3 baby skintones?

Baby Skin Tones from the game files are:

Baby Light
Baby Medium
Baby Green

Source: Honeywell (scroll down to The Sims 4: Weirder Babies)
You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com

Comments

• ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited August 2014
    What? Baby GREEN? I thought the focus was on the sims themselves. Surely it isn't hard to put in a little more variety with the skin tones.
    keep on keepin' on
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for posting this. We were talking about it in another thread, and I couldn't remember where I'd seen it.

But... ugh. :?

Does that mean no babies with dark skin tones? What happens if two people with dark complexions have a child? They've gone so far to show us that they're embracing multi-culturalism, but they think of putting green babies in before darker skinned babies? I've typed the word "disappointed" so many times in the past day.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited August 2014
    Could explain why we haven't seen two dark skinned parents with a newborn together on the gallery. Their baby would look NOTHING like them.

Assuming this information is correct, we've seen the medium-skinned baby and it looks really quite light.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
    edited August 2014
    The only other possibility I can think of is that it's referring to the colour of their clothes, but I think all the babies we've seen have been wearing the same? Also, no one who has actually same the code is discussing that as a possibility, so I assume it's explicit about these being skin options.
  • chijef52chijef52 Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    You guys do know that in real life, babies, or at least I know, some african american babies aren't born with the skin tone/ pigment that sticks with them, I'm being kind of optimistic with this but I feel like that may be what they were going for, but there is still a need for more baby skin variety, even though babies have been made a lesser part of the game.
  • ceyricceyric Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited August 2014
    GreenCats wrote:
    Could explain why we haven't seen two dark skinned parents with a newborn together on the gallery. Their baby would look NOTHING like them.

Yeah, we've seen dark skinned parents, but only one, and his or her partner has light skin with the baby having medium skin. That's probably why all the babies look the same.
    keep on keepin' on
    edited August 2014
    chijef52 wrote:
    You guys do know that in real life, babies, or at least I know, some african american babies aren't born with the skin tone/ pigment that sticks with them, I'm being kind of optimistic with this but I feel like that may be what they were going for, but there is still a need for more baby skin variety, even though babies have been made a lesser part of the game.

I see what you mean about skin colours changing as a child grown, but imagine how ridiculous it would be if the mother had the same skin colour as the father in this picture, had just given birth to his baby, and it looked like this...and that the same was true for every couple with dark skin...

tumblr_n9ls4rfNxT1sh6xelo3_1280.png"width=640"
  • HeadfuzzHeadfuzz Posts: 336 Member
    edited August 2014
    Wait, isn't there a blue skin tone though? :?
    edited August 2014
    chijef52 wrote:

It's true that a lot of African American babies' skin tones get darker as they grow, but the skin tone generally reaches its full tone after only a few weeks to a couple of months. Many babies are darker skinned than the "medium" skinned baby we've seen shortly after birth.

african+american+baby+post+in+colors.jpg
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Maybe blue people will have green babies?
  • EuanSimEuanSim Posts: 2,345 Member
    edited August 2014
    GreenCats wrote:

Assuming this information is correct, we've seen the medium-skinned baby and it looks really quite light.

To be fair, it is quite uncommon to see a dark black baby. They usually are lighter in their early years then get darker.
    edited August 2014
    But in real life two parents with the equivalent of the sim darkest skintones would probably have a baby darker than the equivalent of the sim baby medium skintone we've seen.

Not to mention the fact that, even when the tone is a decent match for the parents, it's just a shame not to be able to have diverse baby appearances.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    edited August 2014
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    chijef52 wrote:

It's true that a lot of African American babies' skin tones get darker as they grow, but the skin tone generally reaches its full tone after only a few weeks to a couple of months. Many babies are darker skinned than the "medium" skinned baby we've seen shortly after birth.

(OT)
    This is adorable! Too cute! (Sorry continue discussion :XD: )
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
    edited August 2014
    EuanSim wrote:
    GreenCats wrote:

To be fair, it is quite uncommon to see a dark black baby. They usually are lighter in their early years then get darker.

It's not really that uncommon to see babies with skin tones darker than the medium tone we've seen. Newborn babies tend to be lighter or medium-skinned, but not for too long (depending on their genes).
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Goodywood wrote:
    GabbyGirlJ wrote:
    chijef52 wrote:

(OT)
    This is adorable! Too cute! (Sorry continue discussion :XD: )

I thought it was a cute pic. :-)
    IHJCfa6.jpg