Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those of you with TS2U 'Failed to find a Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter' issue

Hello all!

I've been having huuuge trouble getting TS2 Ultimate Collection to work on my system and have found a fix! It may not work for you, but I wanted to post it just in case I could help in any way :D

I know nothing at all about computers, but this worked for me and all of these steps can be reversed. Please only have a go if you're comfortable doing so xx

My Problem

I downloaded and installed TS2U on my HP Windows 7 64bit PC. I have a Nvidia GT 320 (Direct X 11) graphics card installed that came with the computer. Both my computer and graphics card had the up to date drivers.

Upon double clicking the desktop icon to launch TS2U I get a pop-up window saying 'Failed to find a Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter'...etc etc. I am then forced to exit the launch of TS2U.

How I fixed it

*This may not work for everyone with this issue*

1. Firstly, you need to be an administrator, so right click The Sims Ultimate Collection icon on your desktop and go down to 'properties'. Click the compatibility tab and then put a tick in the 'Run this program as an administrator' box at the bottom. Click Apply.

2. Next, while on the same tab, tick in the 'Run this program in compatibility mode' box and select Windows Vista (Service Pack 2). *You might not have to do this step, but it worked on mine. Click Appy.

3. Now click the 'shortcut' tab. Where it says 'Target' you will have a long link to the location of TS2 launcher. On my desktop, because I have TS2U installed it says this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe"

After the quotation marks, you need to put one space and then -w. This will force TS2 to launch in a window. So your target will now look like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe" -w

Now click 'Apply' and you will be asked to confirm. You can now close the properties window and launch the game.

It should now launch...although it will be in a window. Don't worry, we'll sort that in a minute!

4. Let the game launch and go through the titles etc. Load up a family. Save and then quit.

5. Finally, go back to your TS2U icon on the desktop and the 'shortcut' tab. Now, where you added the -w before, you can delete it so that it goes back to saying "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe" again.

Click 'Apply' and then close the window.

Now, when you click TS2U icon to launch, you should have no 'Failed to find a Direct X 9.0c compatible graphics adapter' issue and it should launch in full/normal mode and you should be good to go!

I have no idea why this worked for me. Maybe it was the make of graphics card. Maybe it was my version of Windows. Maybe it was my HP PC being stubborn...but if it worked for me, there's a chance it might for you!

I truly hope that helps!

Have a great Sunday! :D

Kat xx

Bah! I can't get my signature image to show no matter what! Help!

Music making, Sims playing, star gazing Zelda fan.