Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Know What Is Inside Your Game: The Sims 3

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    edited August 2014
    Last bump.

Caution: Your bookmarks may be gone, when the new site is unveiled, and if they remain, the bookmarks may be broken if threads are moved or removed.

So if you want the info on this thread, do a save as "web page complete." Rename each thread page with the t.i.t.l.e and page number. Put it all in a folder with the t.i.t.l.e.

Don't forget to do the same with each of the links, if you wish to keep those threads, too. (Just in case those threads are moved or removed, and links break.)

edit: If I see one more "plum" where it doesn't belong, I will have a hissy fit.
    Post edited by amjoie on
  • Options
    Helpful links have been updated to the new forum, as have the links for Superpatches. The tutorial links will have to wait for another day. (I have to get off this site, now, because my head is hurting.)
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    thank you AMjoie

nice to see you

I'm sure all updating will take any major thread time... and I don't want any one to stress
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited August 2014
    Hi, amjoie! Thank you for keeping this thread updated. :heart_eyes:
    I'm still reinstalling my Store Stuff. I have notiticed one thing and that slowed me down, because I'm pedantic and I wanna share it with you (because Googled at first and not found nothing + mine question here in forum was today still without feedback).
    As I have been obsessed with clean and not failing re-install, after installing Barnacle Bay I was wondered, that elder hairHut Tricorn (m+f) are having CC (package) icon on it and broken collection-description on it. I've asked out of this forums - and my friends have shown me screenshots with the same icon.
    After I've seen those package icons shown on another (not modded) Store sets, which I've installed later (ex. many clothing from "Tricks n Treat Compilation" shows with package icon on it).
    I'm not even at half of Store-redownload and I have many packages icons on many store-CAS-items installed directly from Store in fabbric clean folder and fully patched game.
    Whoever will make clean reinstall and is wondering about CC icons in Create-A-Sim: it don't means that something is wrong with yours game - those packages are coming from EA's original and not modded Sims3Packs.;)
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Re: Install First
    Hi, @amjoie!
    I've just discovered that I haven't in my game in textures tab ultralounge patterns (items installed from compilations following HollownessDevour topic)....Ghrr... I've checked for now only Bedtastic and Ultra Trash Depository XL.
    Textures Pattern1_28x28.pngPattern1_28x28.png are showing only on items, but not in pattern tabs in game. (I would have probably more patterns missing).
    Something is changed with game, it don't leaves more gaps in textures tab, but except those textures from Tiki which I've installed before compilations I'm not having in game another textures with store icon (and no with package icon).
    Thread of Metallicjunior has returned more useful than my expectations :thumbup: (and I'll reinstall again :angry: ). Obviously, for EA hasn't sense to fix ours purchased content for free - now, when they are already cashing for TS4. :cry:
    I think - there would be worthwhile to add at "install first" link @Metallicjunior topic
    Post edited by Bily_jednorozec on
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • Options
    I have changed the links to the forum tutorials, now.

@Bily_jednorozec : I added the textures thread link, as you suggested, right after my "install first" pics. Thank you for making the suggestion. :)

As for the custom folder showing up after a fresh install of store items, I have not ever seen this problem in my game. It should not be happening. I am wondering if part of the problem might be a non-English installation of the game? I have no way of checking that for you, since I have the English version installed.

I think, if I remember correctly, that this problem was discussed in another thread, though. And that thread was talking about a game that had, at one point, installed Exchange items which included the corrupted counter stealth CC. I don't have a link for that thread, and I don't remember if the problem was showing up after having the stealth CC attach itself to their game or if it was just something discussed in that thread, as a side issue. The thread that I think was talking about this (if I'm not confusing it with another thread) was AmaraRena's thread about the stealth CC counter that she found in her game after downloading a lot/sim from the Exchange. Perhaps she has the link to that thread.

I don't know what else to tell you, since I have never run across this problem in my game, and I have reinstalled my store content/worlds any number of times into factory reset games. I'm sorry I cannot be more helpful.
  • Options
    @amjoie , thanks - it isn't possible: I've removed world replacements from Ellacharmed (from installation folder), I've made regenerate game folder and downloaded only store patch and Store items from store.sims3.com. Nothing Mods folder, nothing downloaded from Exchange, nothing saved Sims, nothing Library and no Saves in my game. 1st confirm I've had from an european user, another have had english version of the game (speaking about BB Tricorn now). Mine game is also too european installation (02). With another items I haven't disturbed my friends more, after seen that this is normal for Tricorn only elder hair from Barnacle Bay, I've supposed this will happen too with another store content.
    Don't worry and thank you, have amarvelous evening! ;)
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi Amjoie,

Thanks so much for putting all this info on the new forum it is much appreciated and is info that is always needed when trying to run through the Sims 3 to do list in order-) When I hit my lowest point with Sims 3 your knowledge along with Writin Reg allowed me to understand how the game works, what I had been doing wrong and how to fix it...I still have lots of your info copied and paste somewhere LOL
  • Options
    Hi Amjoie,

I am just starting with a clean install and reading and following instructions carefully-)

I wanted to ask a question about the Superpatch, from your information above it resides in The Sims 3 folder found inside Programs or Applications so once the game is up to date and super patched can a save be made somewhere of that superpatch for when they disappear as I have tried looking for info on this and cannot find how and where to store a superpatch as a backup so could you help me with that please.

I am sure there will be more questions as I go along but personally I am dreading the day the game is not supported anymore because I have never been through it in the past and it all sounds really difficult and I am afraid I will miss something vital...lol
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    Hi Amjoie,

I am just starting with a clean install and reading and following instructions carefully-)

I wanted to ask a question about the Superpatch, from your information above it resides in The Sims 3 folder found inside Programs or Applications so once the game is up to date and super patched can a save be made somewhere of that superpatch for when they disappear as I have tried looking for info on this and cannot find how and where to store a superpatch as a backup so could you help me with that please.

I am sure there will be more questions as I go along but personally I am dreading the day the game is not supported anymore because I have never been through it in the past and it all sounds really difficult and I am afraid I will miss something vital...lol

I don't think Amjoie is on the forums now. The new forum gave her headaches.

If you download the super patch from you link at the top of the Sims 3 Technical forum. Once you download it you can run it by launching it. You can also keep a copy of it somewhere.
  • Options
    Thanks once again Karritz,

Oh I am so sorry Amjoie is not on the forum anymore that's a real loss, I am only one of many that is grateful for all her hard work and tutorials concerning Sims 3 folders and backups etc. In fact following her steps is what I am concentrating on now trying to make sure I am covered in future.

I really hope she comes back...
  • Options
    SpiderCrowWolfSpiderCrowWolf Posts: 1,380 Member
    Once I get the rest of the store I"ll be doing a fresh install of everything too. Thanks for this thread.
  • Options
    PigDestroyer1978PigDestroyer1978 Posts: 163 Member
    @amjoie or anyone else who may know... I'm going to be buying a new computer and want to move my Sims 3 without losing anything. I know I'll have to first re-install the game/expansions via my discs - then do updates and store patches. I also know I can then copy and move certain files via an external hard drive or usb stick (i.e saved games, mods installed manually in packages folder, library, installed worlds etc). I'm even fine with re-downloading everything from the store if I have to. But my question is how do I preserve the cc I installed via sims3packs? I did not keep all the original simspacks in my downloads folder and don't want to hunt the web for it all again. Can I just delete the stuff on the new computer in the dccache and dcbackup (ccmerged being the important file in dcbackup?) and replace it with the files from the dccache and dcbackup on my old computer (and yes, this is after I create these folders again by running the new game once)? Will this transfer the simpack stuff to my new computer and ultimately have it show up in the launcher again? Will it also simply transfer the installed store stuff this way? There is no way I'd be able to re-find everything I want from the web again - it took me forever, and for some reason I didn't save all the original simpacks to simply "reinstall" them. In fact, regarding Simpacks, I really hope the game doesn't require that every individual Simpack be "installed" every time like you would a core game file from a disc or something. Hoping for an easier way like copying and overwriting from old to new folders. After all, I know Simpacks are just package files that are merged, why would they need such special treatment (i.e game needing them to actually be "installed").

Thanks to anyone who knows this.
  • Options
    I don't know anything about cc however it is installed as I don't have any in my game - other than Sims 3 Store content.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Check this link out and see if there is any info that might help you. @Ciane is still monitoring so she may be able to help you as well. I'm using her method to install and make a new 'clean' sims3 folder and will save several so I don't have to do it again. :)http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/807788/spreadsheet-to-reinstall-or-track-store-stuff#latest
  • Options
    Thanks for that link bekkasan,

It's funny I found and was looking at ciane's info on lag in IP a couple of days ago and while the info gives us a lot to do to get really organized I am sure at some point I will be grateful I did :D
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited February 2015
    @amjoie or anyone else who may know... I'm going to be buying a new computer and want to move my Sims 3 without losing anything. I know I'll have to first re-install the game/expansions via my discs - then do updates and store patches. I also know I can then copy and move certain files via an external hard drive or usb stick (i.e saved games, mods installed manually in packages folder, library, installed worlds etc). I'm even fine with re-downloading everything from the store if I have to. But my question is how do I preserve the cc I installed via sims3packs? I did not keep all the original simspacks in my downloads folder and don't want to hunt the web for it all again. Can I just delete the stuff on the new computer in the dccache and dcbackup (ccmerged being the important file in dcbackup?) and replace it with the files from the dccache and dcbackup on my old computer (and yes, this is after I create these folders again by running the new game once)? Will this transfer the simpack stuff to my new computer and ultimately have it show up in the launcher again? Will it also simply transfer the installed store stuff this way? There is no way I'd be able to re-find everything I want from the web again - it took me forever, and for some reason I didn't save all the original simpacks to simply "reinstall" them. In fact, regarding Simpacks, I really hope the game doesn't require that every individual Simpack be "installed" every time like you would a core game file from a disc or something. Hoping for an easier way like copying and overwriting from old to new folders. After all, I know Simpacks are just package files that are merged, why would they need such special treatment (i.e game needing them to actually be "installed").

Thanks to anyone who knows this.

@PigDestroyer1978‌, the answer to copying your current dccache and dcbackup folders into your clean Sims 3 folder is yes. In fact, the cc you've installed in Simpacks is compressed into the .dbc files in the dccache folder and their backups in the dcbackup folder are package files. You could technically put your dcbackup files into a mods/packages folder and have them show up in game that way. The problem is that you have no idea which package file is the cc and which are store items.

I do recommend reinstalling store stuff if your .ebc files are larger than 270,000 kb. That is why I did the spreadsheets showing which sets are part of what compilations, so you can avoid duplicate files. But, if your store stuff stays installed and you have no problems with it; your way is definitely easier. :smiley:

The library folder will have the venues. The installed worlds and worldcache folders will have the worlds and their items. The dccache folder has all things installed through the launcher with the dcbackup folder retaining backup package files for all the sims3packs and the much need ccmerged file for premium content items.

Edit: The .tmp files created for the .ebc files in the dccache folder are all just duplicates that can be safely deleted.
  • Options
    Hi ciane,

I have been going through your IP thread and am instigating those changes you outline however when you say set the front doors of residential lots that are not my own active family I have tried every way I can think of to do this but have still not manged to achieve it so could you please let me know how its done-)

Also I am in the process of backing up and saving everything so I have saved several factory clean folders and all my store content which is most of the store and then saved my store venues by the hash numbers as outlined by Amjoie in this thread but I am getting confused about backing up and how to re add lots from the exchange I use in my worlds on a regular basis if I cannot do it through the store/launcher?

If I save the lots I use from the exchange backed up in a downloads folder will I just need to click on each individual item within that downloads folder for the item to be reinstalled into my game? I ask because I am making separate folders of all the lots I use in each world that I could not do without but I want to be sure if there is a time when I need to add them back into my game I know how to do it properly..

Also when people say the servers will go down does that mean no more launcher as well as store? and what about Origin as all my games are digital and I am wondering if I need to back that up as well somehow?

I cannot quite understand how I am going to be able to keep playing my game and using all my content...

• Options
    I think people are referring to the time when EA turns off the Servers for Sims 3. The last patch for Sims 3 added some code that will allow you to play the game after the servers are turned off so all you need to do is to make sure you are fully patched.
  • Options
    Thanks Karritz,

I just cannot imagine whats its going to be like, will origin shut down too for all sims 3 and related? If so and I need to re-download my games what would happen then?

I am honestly dreading it...
  • Options
    FourteenFourteen Posts: 257 Member
    > @SPARKY1922 said:
    > Thanks Karritz,
    >
    > I just cannot imagine whats its going to be like, will origin shut down too for all sims 3 and related? If so and I need to re-download my games what would happen then?
    >
    > I am honestly dreading it...

Me too. I think it's more likely that it will happen. If I recall correctly, they did close TS2 Store some years ago. :(
    Playing TS3 since June 2009.
    TS4 since February 2015.

My Wishlist
    * 5 Top Items
    * 14's Thank You Thread
    NOTE: I have trouble with receiving gifts from people. Please visit a single item instead of my wishlist. Thank you!
  • Options
    Hi Fourteen,

As Amjoie pointed out it can be a quick decision to close the store and/or the servers go down which will leave a lot of people trying to organize and download all at the same time in a frenzy so I am taking some time to learn how to backup and save everything from the store and all the exchange lots I use on a regular basis in my worlds but that does not mean I understand everything or how it will all work when it happens :D
  • Options
    FourteenFourteen Posts: 257 Member
    > @SPARKY1922 said:
    > Hi Fourteen,
    >
    > As Amjoie pointed out it can be a quick decision to close the store and/or the servers go down which will leave a lot of people trying to organize and download all at the same time in a frenzy so I am taking some time to learn how to backup and save everything from the store and all the exchange lots I use on a regular basis in my worlds but that does not mean I understand everything or how it will all work when it happens

Hi Sparky! =) Yeah, I downloaded all of my wishlist for just in case, too. Those items are in my TS3 backup folders and in my Google storage as well. Now, I just brought one item and I'm on low simpoints (about 200) again. So, I am trying to obtain many points from ads later tonight. Do you have any idea of when will they shut the TS3 store down for good? Maybe few more months from now?
    Playing TS3 since June 2009.
    TS4 since February 2015.

My Wishlist
    * 5 Top Items
    * 14's Thank You Thread
    NOTE: I have trouble with receiving gifts from people. Please visit a single item instead of my wishlist. Thank you!
  • Options
    Hi fourteeen,

There has been a lot of discussion on the subject and opinions are extremely varied however I tend to trust Amjoie's advice and she says as no one really knows when it will happen the best course of action is to sort as much out as you can as soon as you can so when it does happen your not caught off guard or fail to be able to sort everything before it shuts down.

I doubt they will close it down while the store is still making money but who knows when that will stop being profitable. I think I panic because I have never been through it before and many people are still playing sims 2 so we know its all possible however many of us do not believe sims 3 will be supported as long as 2 was so only time will tell and I hope you manage to get all the store content you want by then :D
  • Options
    brappl218brappl218 Posts: 150 Member
    edited February 2015
    Amjoie... this is a great write up and I see you've put a lot of time into it. However, I'd like to clarify a few things with regards to Mod Conflicts and Twallan's suite of mods at NRaas

With the exception of 2 core mods, Twallan's NRaas mods are script mods and the chance of experiencing conflicts is about 0. Delphy's Dashboard will not detect conflicts with these types of mods. Simlogical is closed and the original document available on the new site is difficult to read but I have a PDF of the original Understanding Mods Conflicts on Mediafire. This link might help your readers understand the types of mods: https://www.mediafire.com/?5n34obn34b1tl7n

1. Quote:
    It should be noted here that Twallen abandoned his mod before the final two patches of the game. The last version of NRAAS that was written exclusively by Twalllen was made for patch level 1.63 and that patch doesn't have the changes in it required by the game once the servers go down. The last time I looked at NRAAS, they still had links to the last version of the mod that Twallen wrote, exclusively, which is compatible with patch level 1.63 only. Unquote

This might be misleading to those who are "skimming" while reading. The NRaas Mods are patched and have been since 1.67 was introduced to 1.67 (as you noted below) and older versions are available for those who are not updated to a particular patch level.

2. Quote:
    The current version of NRAAS mods has been rewritten to match patch level 1.67, which does contain changes required once the servers go down. Be aware, however, that the NRAAS mod has been changed by a group of talented modders, and is no longer Twallen's mod, in that sense. (Had Twallen been involved, he may or may not have approved those changes. But the group of modders have made every attempt to stay true to Twallen's original vision of his mod, according to their statements on the site.) Unquote

The Mods were not rewritten, they were updated by Chain_Reaction (an experienced developer) on Twallan's original platform. They have not only been updated but have been enhanced with new features, fixes for Twallan's mods that he was working on before retiring have been fixed and two brand new mods have been created.

3. Quote:
    Twallen's original vision means that you will have to learn not just one mod, but many, many mods.

Sorry, that is not correct. It is not always necessary to use multiple mods. You can install just one or several. It depends upon what you want to do and how you want to play your game. They all do not have learning curves. Some of the mods need only to be installed. Story Progression is probably the most complex mod yet you can just install the base mod and not have to do anything further.

I strongly suggest players considering using these mods refer directly to NRaas for information and help with these mods (not Google). Here's a link with some suggestions starting with NRaas:
    Mods to Start With: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Getting+Started+Using+NRAAS+Mods
    A complete listing of Mods, Options, and FAQ's: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Quicklinks

Hope you don't mind the clarifications and again, thank you for great write up ...

Edit: Sorry, I did not realize the age of the original post with regards to the Patch levels .. I'm sure by now everyone is aware all has been updated for some time.
    Post edited by brappl218 on
    brappl
    NraasSignature.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top