Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 and OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Today I downloaded the beta of OS X Yosemite. I love it. It has a few bugs but my ancient iMac is running it beautifully. In the interests of research for you lovely Mac Simmers I reinstalled TS3 on it to see if it would work and it did, pretty well actually. I purged RAM regularly (the Sudo Purge command works with Yosemite) and managed to keep my game running for a few hours.

Now, bear in mind that this is an old iMac with one of the original supported graphics cards for the game. It isn't a very powerful machine but it still chugs along nicely and has managed to cope with everything I've thrown at it so far (it's my test machine for a lot of stuff so it takes a battering).

Specs:

- 20" mid 2007 iMac
- 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 4Gb 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
- ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256Mb

So far I have only tested the base game. I'm currently downloading and installing all the EPs and SPs I have so I'll report back once everything is installed (I have everything but Showtime, Sweet Treats, 70's/80's/90's, Diesel and Movie). My graphics settings are this:

2dr56vt.png

My game looked like this:

2q038lk.jpg

I had to turn off Edge Smoothing because the lag was unbearable.

Overall Yosemite seems to have smoothed out a few kinks on my iMac and it is definitely faster, even though it wasn't particularly slow before.

EDIT - All my EPs and SPs are now installed and the game works fine :) Of course, Yosemite is still in beta so things could change but it's looking good so far.
apple-signature.png

Comments

• Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited July 2014
    Woot! :mrgreen:
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited July 2014
    Yay! Sounds promising so far. Thanks for testing Yosemite and Sims :)
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    NinjaSTNinjaST Posts: 4
    edited July 2014
    Awesome news! Thank you so much for testing :D
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited July 2014
    :thumbup:
  • Options
    mattdude411mattdude411 Posts: 108 Member
    edited July 2014
    Wow, that is one ancient iMac. I still have that one in my garage; the first computer I ever played The Sims 3 with! I can imagine it will struggle after all the EPs are loaded though. Haven't got around to downloading Yosemite yet (got bored of looking for it on the developer site :()
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited July 2014
    Wow, that is one ancient iMac. I still have that one in my garage; the first computer I ever played The Sims 3 with! I can imagine it will struggle after all the EPs are loaded though. Haven't got around to downloading Yosemite yet (got bored of looking for it on the developer site :()

We have an old G4 Powerbook kicking around too, still works great and it must be at least 12 years old now! You can get Yosemite here:

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Wiress_SongWiress_Song Posts: 40 New Member
    edited August 2014
    Thank you!

Ahah, I also have a 2007 iMac at home and it still works pretty fine just like yours! They are resistant machines, that's for sure!
    It has his small nugs, but I still can't believe it survived my father's approach to technology for 7 years!
  • Options
    Bridie123Bridie123 Posts: 3
    edited August 2014
    did you have you reinstall sims 3 after the update?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Bridie123 wrote:
    did you have you reinstall sims 3 after the update?

I only had the base game and Generations installed. It worked fine after the update but I decided to uninstall and install everything so I had a nice clean game to test.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    itsaprilXDitsaprilXD Posts: 642 Member
    edited August 2014
    Woo! I might wait until it's released and I might have a go at installing it again. I'll just have to live without my CC, since they've always been the death of my games haha.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I miss my old G5. It ran faithfully for at least 8 years and then died last year. I played Sims 1 on it when I first got it. I got Makin' Magic as the first game for it. The I put Sims 2 on it and it ran wonderfully.

The first game I bought for this one was Sims Mediaeval and I liked it so much I bought Sims 3.

Now I miss my old G5. *sniff*
  • Options
    AlexaiAlexai Posts: 186 Member
    edited August 2014
    I have the original 128K mac. Of course I don't use it anymore but I wrote my dissertation on it when everyone else was using a typewriter. :)
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    Upgraded my iMac to Yosemite last night and tested The Sims 3 this afternoon. All went well. :)
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    Fab :D
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I've had to reinstall all my CC. Either I have corrupt CC (which I will be testing shortly) or something weird in one of my saved games. Thankfully, I can compress and scan all my saves. Just glad to have the game back. :)
  • Options
    I've had to reinstall all my CC. Either I have corrupt CC (which I will be testing shortly) or something weird in one of my saved games. Thankfully, I can compress and scan all my saves. Just glad to have the game back. :)

How annoying. Good luck :)

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Thanks! :D
  • Options
    SoneeaSoneea Posts: 4 New Member
    First, I am not a native english speaker.. so please excuse the following mistakes ^^

I have been playing sims 3 on my macbook pro for quiet some time now without any problems at all but lately it is almost impossible for me to play. In CAS mode it suddenly starts doing strange things like green/red skin and mixing sims together then the game freezes completely and mostly I have to restart my mac with the on/off key

Without going into CAS I can play for some time without freezing or crashing but after some time (sometimes couple of minutes, sometimes an hour or so) it happens anyway

First I thought it could be some bad CC but after deleting all of it and also reinstalling the whole sims + expansion packs it still keeps happening..

I am desperate!

I have the base game, university and ambitions

I play on a Macbook pro 13' which I bought at the end of last year

2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
    8 GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

I need help! :'(
  • Options
    @Soneea - you have two problems:

- Your graphics card: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/735231/intel-iris-pro-graphics-cards-please-post-here-if-you-have-a-macbook-with-intel-iris-pro-card#latest

- and the same RAM problem that every single Mac user encounters: http://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

Your English seems pretty fluent so you shouldn't have a problem with reading those two links. You can also find a wealth of knowledge on the Mac User's Best Friend thread, currently on the first page of this forum. You are not experiencing any problems that haven't already been addressed.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    First, thank you for the quick answer

I already tried the thing with my graphics card. Unfortunately it didn't work

Even with resetting RAM every 10 minutes or so it did not work at all.. it crashed within less than 40minutes

I just do not understand why.. I've never had any problems at all it always worked perfectly fine but since I updated to Yosemite it crashes and freezes constantly
  • Options
    Because Yosemite has updated graphics drivers installed. EA won't bother releasing a patch now as they've moved on to TS4.

And the whole point of resetting the RAM is to do it frequently during gameplay. It's a bore but necessary :(

If you play in windowed mode you won't have to force switch your Mac off. Each time you do this you are risking damaging the hard drive. If it freezes in windowed mode just click on the Apple logo and go to Force Quit.

And you haven't installed any of your CC back in?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    No I actually deleted all of my CC.

I reinstalled my base game again and updated my game manually, then installed only one of my expansion packs and now it is worse.. after loading a new city the screen is mostly white..
  • Options
    The problem is with your graphics card, as referred to before. There is no magic fix, only work arounds that may or may not work. When you uninstalled did you get rid of all residual files? It's VERY important there is no trace of any previous installation on your computer before you reinstall:

http://bluebellflora.wordpress.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I think so since I used exactly your guide to reinstall
  • Options
    Ok. Unfortunately there is no fix for your graphics card. I was hoping it may be erroneous CC but that's not possible if you got rid of everything.

Sorry :(
    apple-signature.png