Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Maxis new sandbox crafting game? -- Article link!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/21/ea-s-maxis-appears-to-be-developing-a-new-sandbox-crafting-game.aspx?utm_content=buffera0300&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I suppose EA is developing another game, but seeking out people familiar with LittleBIGPlanet, Minecraft and a few other sandbox games. Any thoughts?

Comments

• KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sounds awesome to me!
  • NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    edited July 2014
    Sounds awesome to me!

I'd love to see the turn out :D Definitely looking forward to it!
  • bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited July 2014
    Absolutely pointless. I would rather see the opposite:
    A DIFFERENT developer is making a SIMs clone

LittleBigPlanet rocks. They wouldn't be able to REMOTELY top it. Plus the pay model doesn't fit with their grand scheme of milking us for money. LBP gives away the updates for free so everyone can use them, and only charges the builders that want to design the levels. They do charge for outfits, but only $2.99 for like 5 different outfits.
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • BosniaFTWBosniaFTW Posts: 1,192 New Member
    edited July 2014
    If EA is making it, then we better prepare for disappointment, :(
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited July 2014
    Noogster wrote:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/21/ea-s-maxis-appears-to-be-developing-a-new-sandbox-crafting-game.aspx?utm_content=buffera0300&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I suppose EA is developing another game, but seeking out people familiar with LittleBIGPlanet, Minecraft and a few other sandbox games. Any thoughts?

If the creator of Minecraft even says that EA IS Ruining Everything - then, you have your answer:

“Indies are saving gaming,” Persson also tweeted. “EA is methodically destroying it.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/05/03/minecraft-creator-says-ea-is-attempting-to-ruin-everything/

edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    Absolutely pointless. I would rather see the opposite:
    A DIFFERENT developer is making a SIMs clone

LittleBigPlanet rocks. They wouldn't be able to REMOTELY top it. Plus the pay model doesn't fit with their grand scheme of milking us for money. LBP gives away the updates for free so everyone can use them, and only charges the builders that want to design the levels. They do charge for outfits, but only $2.99 for like 5 different outfits.

A little off-topic but I assume you saw LBP3?

it seems a little..repetitive from the second one. :?
  • MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2014
    "Based on the listing, we can also discern that the title will have RPG-like elements."

"Maxis’ job posting also indicates that the ideal candidate will have experience with social systems and MMOs."

Yeah, those got me uninterested right there haha. I would've honestly had rather gotten the news that another company was taking the Sims franchise, or another company was developing another life simulator game, giving EA competition (which I think they desperately need). One can dream though :/
    edited July 2014
    Noogster wrote:
    A little off-topic but I assume you saw LBP3?

it seems a little..repetitive from the second one. :?
    Its kind of hard to improve on a game about building games :).

That said, the multiple sackboys each with a different skill will definitely open up the level designs. Its going to be incredible, and I would give them my money just because I support what they are doing to the industry...

They teach kids like my nephews the basics of video game design. Its awesome and educational at the same time!
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
    edited July 2014
    bflury wrote:
    They teach kids like my nephews the basics of video game design. Its awesome and educational at the same time!

Very very true! :wink:

• MariesaliasMariesalias Posts: 1,954 Member
    edited July 2014
    Noogster wrote:

I have zero interest in an EA version of a Minecraft-type game. Especially with 'social' or MMO version. Ugh.

As others have said, Minecraft gives you free updates and does not charge your for further development. Minecraft already has ways to play by yourself, with just your friends, or with a larger group of people on a world server. And they don't hold content back if you choose to play alone, nor do they gate content behind achievements or 'quests'. Besides, Mojang actually fix their bugs and involve the community in the game's growth/development.

So why would I ever even want to think of playing an EA version? :?:
  • stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't know enough about Minecraft or any of those other games to have an opinion. Anybody got a good link to an *overview* sort of review for newbs?

Anyway, my not-informed opinion is that a sims style game designed for people who want the freedom to be creative, would be fabulous. Sounds exactly like what sims 4 should have been!! :P

I've been thinking seriously about how to combine sims "rotational" gameplay into the same game which has story progression plus an open world. Not positive but those two styles might be directly contradictory, so splitting the franchise into two different games might be a great option for fans. OR: EA continuing to make ep's for the open world game while the first half of the rotational game is in progress.

Something. There seems to be two distinct different markets.
  • knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited July 2014
    Noogster wrote:

I have zero interest in an EA version of a Minecraft-type game. Especially with 'social' or MMO version. Ugh.

As others have said, Minecraft gives you free updates and does not charge your for further development. Minecraft already has ways to play by yourself, with just your friends, or with a larger group of people on a world server. And they don't hold content back if you choose to play alone, nor do they gate content behind achievements or 'quests'. Besides, Mojang actually fix their bugs and involve the community in the game's growth/development.

So why would I ever even want to think of playing an EA version? :?:

Exactly this.

• smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited July 2014
    Will it have Toddlers and swimming pools?
    edited July 2014
    I don't know enough about Minecraft or any of those other games to have an opinion. Anybody got a good link to an *overview* sort of review for newbs?
    They are true sandbox games. Think of anything and you can do it.

LittleBigPlanet is a Sony PlayStation exclusive. There are MILLIONS OF GAMES and LEVELs created with the engine all available for FREE WITHIN THE GAME ITSELF. Its awesome, and definitely worth checking out for even a casual gamer.

Mindcraft is multi-platform. It's an indie game made by one individual (at least initially). It is a first person view point (like Doom or Call of Duty, but not as focused on violence) and you can build incredible worlds and objects in it.

Imagine, if you took the Sims but could build WITHIN THE SIMs new objects like chairs or TVs and items that were interactive. All within the game. That would be where these games are at. However, they are NOT life simulators. They are just games, very fun, unique games.
    edited July 2014
    As requested:

Review and overcap of each game:

LittleBigPlanet (PlayStation and Vita Only):

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy_a3oCDzRA (watch it entirely)
    Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W1bLvGRtaw

A third one is also coming out!!!

Mindcraft (All platforms):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oghqTROa7o

These games are just incredible. EA would never get either of them right as these type of games aren't created with budgets in mind, but rather players.