Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's try The Sims 2 while we wait

Now that we are (well, most of us) getting the Sims 2 ultimate game, have any of you started playing The Sims 2 again? I tried. I can say that I am underwhelmed by the lack of emotion and graphics, but overwhelmed at the same time because EVERY expansion and stuff pack is installed as well. It's been years since I have played TS2 and i'm a little lost when I play it to be honest.

On a side note, I didn't originally have The Sims 2 ultimate game until I contacted EA asking if they would locate my serial code for TS2 base game since it was registered on the old TS2 website but I was unable to access it, EA support instead gave me the ultimate edition. I can say that I am happy! lol
Watch my live streams and follow me on twitch!

Comments

• picklesim08picklesim08 Posts: 211 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm downloading Ultimate right now, I'm super excited to play as I haven't played TS2 in probably two years. I just never wanted to install all of the packs for the millionth time :lol: I had a similar situation with the EA chat, the person I was talking to just gave me Ultimate after I said I wanted to register my base game (and therefore get the copy). It took forever to connect to a representative but it's gonna be worth it!!
  • Vampyfan2Vampyfan2 Posts: 517 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm downloading Ultimate right now, I'm super excited to play as I haven't played TS2 in probably two years. I just never wanted to install all of the packs for the millionth time :lol: I had a similar situation with the EA chat, the person I was talking to just gave me Ultimate after I said I wanted to register my base game (and therefore get the copy). It took forever to connect to a representative but it's gonna be worth it!!

It took me about 25 minutes...and that was at 11:45 PM! The game sure is a larger change from what we have gotten use to.

• pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited July 2014
    Vampyfan2 wrote:
    Now that we are (well, most of us) getting the Sims 2 ultimate game, have any of you started playing The Sims 2 again? I tried. I can say that I am underwhelmed by the lack of emotion and graphics, but overwhelmed at the same time because EVERY expansion and stuff pack is installed as well. It's been years since I have played TS2 and i'm a little lost when I play it to be honest.

On a side note, I didn't originally have The Sims 2 ultimate game until I contacted EA asking if they would locate my serial code for TS2 base game since it was registered on the old TS2 website but I was unable to access it, EA support instead gave me the ultimate edition. I can say that I am happy! lol

TS2 is full of emotions.
  • Vampyfan2Vampyfan2 Posts: 517 Member
    edited July 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Vampyfan2 wrote:

TS2 is full of emotions.

I just hate how they have the robot face during an action, but then show their emotion once it has been completed.

• SuicidalSpidersSuicidalSpiders Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't really understand what the Ultimate Collection exactly is, or if I even need it...I have every single EP and SP and found all the patches online. Isn't just the game with all the patches or does it come with any extra content or something?
  • AoralysAoralys Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2014
    I downloaded the Ultimate Sims 2 as soon as I got it (and it was a complete surprise for me when I got it, as I had not seen any of the news blurbs about Ea sending it out to their customers). I have been wanting to replay the Sims 2 for a while now as the computer I used to play it on died years ago, but I never felt like spending a day reinstalling all those discs. The download version was really handy and, even if the download was a little long, I didn't have to sit at my computer popping one disc in after another the whole time.

I had forgotten how much of the little details were not included in the Sims 3, like the food particles flying away as messy sims eat, the little heart storm as your sim passes another sim they are attracted to, or all those dirty diapers piling up on the floor . . . and the swarms of cockroaches. Now I remember that I once tried to get one of my sims houses to have cockroaches on every square of their mobile home's floor! There is something so satisfying about cleaning up a property when it is truly a mess first.

Of course, now that I've been playing TS2 for the past couple of days, there are aspects of the Sims 3 that I now miss in my Sims 2 games. I wouldn't say that I'm underwhelmed with the Sims 2, however. I tend to go back and play decades old games again that I had enjoyed previously, so I'm not a huge stickler for outdated graphics/processing power/etc. (Sigh) It would be nice, however, to pick all the aspects I liked about both games and combine them into one super game that had everything exactly as I wanted it, but you can't please all the people all the time . . . etc. etc. etc. And I don't think I've ever played any series of a video game where I didn't miss aspects that were taken out of previous iterations, so it's not that I'm picking on EA here.

So it's been really fun taking a trip down memory lane, and it's been fun rediscovering all the cool things I had forgotten about in the Sims 2. I've reconsidered buying the Sims 4 at launch, and now I have something to occupy my time while I wait for it to release. (Not that I can't do that with the Sims 3, but having been away from Sims 2 for so long, it feels like a brand new shiny game again, and it's always easier to while away the time with a shiny new game).

• xsazxsimxxsazxsimx Posts: 27 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Is this something you have to buy or is it free? x
  • renzillarenzilla Posts: 725 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've been having lots of fun stirring up so much drama in Pleasantview that I haven't even bothered to make my own Sims! Dina married Mortimer, she soon got pregnant and had a boy named Richard. Not long after, Mortimer passed, so now Dina's calling the shots at the Goth Manor. Cassandra was feeling very down after Don's big scene at their wedding and very mad at her dad not noticing how obvious it was that Dina was using him. Darren Dreamer saw this as an opportunity to woo Cassandra and they soon married. They have three beautiful little girls in my game: Louise, Johanna and Grace. :D

When attending Dina and Mortimer's wedding, Don autonomously romantically hugged Dina (under the wedding arch right after Mortimer and Dina exchanged vows!) so Nina and Mortimer both got a pretty sour taste in their mouths. To spite Don, Nina went out one night to have some fun Downtown and met a vampire whose name escapes me and they had a baby boy named Jason, if I remember correctly.

In the Pleasants, Mary-Sue caught Daniel with Kaylynn Langerak and she soon divorced Daniel and kicked him out, so the two forbidden lovebirds moved in together and now have a baby boy named Donald.

Finally, the Brokes are just trying to get by, especially with Dustin off to university and Brandi being on her own with two boys.

Don is still being a womanizer, but seeing how all his ladyfriends are getting married or having babies, we'll see what he decides to do.

The first time I played The Sims 2, I was in 4th grade, so I didn't know of the idea of rotational gameplay, but now that I discovered it, I quite enjoy it and I am sure that I will be adopting it for the new generation of the game. :-)
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't even have Sims 2, I would of just given up on Sims 3 by now to play it. :(
  • delonarieldelonariel Posts: 615 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Vampyfan2 wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    Vampyfan2 wrote:

TS2 is full of emotions.

I just hate how they have the robot face during an action, but then show their emotion once it has been completed.

Really? I'm not starting an argument here, just legitimately cruious. They're making faces even when they're reading. I don't know if you mean things like washing the dished or so, but thb I don't make a lot of faces while I'm cleaning either.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited July 2014
    I have been playing it all night. :D The graphics don't bug me but the camera does. I need to find a mod. I'm also using Fraps to take screenshots.

My sim Sophie Newt being a slob with her bag of chips..
    14519264658_3b40697cea_c.jpg
    Her dog Bruce..
    14519484567_276b4d33d7_c.jpg
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited July 2014
    I have been playing it all night. :D The graphics don't bug me but the camera does. I need to find a mod. I'm also using Fraps to take screenshots.

Her dog Bruce..

The pixelated neighbourhood is a bit unfortunate, but I like the graphics too. No bloom or glowy soft-focus! :D

There are some good camera mods on MTS by the way. They'll let you zoom in closer among other things.
    edited July 2014
    Aoralys wrote:

I had forgotten how much of the little details were not included in the Sims 3, like the food particles flying away as messy sims eat, the little heart storm as your sim passes another sim they are attracted to, or all those dirty diapers piling up on the floor . . . and the swarms of cockroaches. Now I remember that I once tried to get one of my sims houses to have cockroaches on every square of their mobile home's floor! There is something so satisfying about cleaning up a property when it is truly a mess first.

I do that too! I like to have the yard covered in weeds and trash and all the plumbing broken when someone moves into a house. :lol:
  • AoralysAoralys Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2014
    delonariel wrote:

I do that too! I like to have the yard covered in weeds and trash and all the plumbing broken when someone moves into a house. :lol:

Yeah, that's why I'm looking forward to the power and water getting cut off in the Sims 4 for non-payment of rent. It is a way better response than the repo man, I never bothered to have my bills slip in TS2 or TS3 as the repo man was pretty pointless. But I just know one of my first houses is not going to pay bills and let the place get worse and worse, just so that I can have my sims struggle to get it all back together again!
  • Ladybug889Ladybug889 Posts: 943 Member
    edited July 2014

Her dog Bruce..

How do you get your graphics to look like that? I have mine turned all the way up but they look like they are all the way down. I think it might have to do with windows 8.1? There shouldn't be any reason my computer couldn't run smoothly with high settings because it does with sims 3. Is there something I'm missing?
  • renzillarenzilla Posts: 725 Member
    edited July 2014
    How do you get your graphics to look like that? I have mine turned all the way up but they look like they are all the way down. I think it might have to do with windows 8.1? There shouldn't be any reason my computer couldn't run smoothly with high settings because it does with sims 3. Is there something I'm missing?
    Try out the instructions in this video. It helped me! I have Windows 8.1 too.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've been having a little play :mrgreen:

Here's Don Lothario going home from the clothing store:

CarHampM.jpg

This is in Brandi Broke's home, slightly refurbished. I've never seen those guys before! So cute (cow, pig, bunny):

snapshot_2dae7a30_e0d844f2.jpg
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited July 2014
    I never registered my s2 games. If I dig them up now and register them will I be able to download the ultimate sims2?
    edited July 2014
    renzilla wrote:

thank you so much! I will go watch it
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2014
    To those with unsatisfactory graphics/graphic glitches: I've created a thread recently that allows anyone to make their graphics look better, easily. Check it out -- it's been fixing many issues for people!

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/764203.page

Here's how the game can look after this small tweak:
    Poolshadercomparisons.jpg
    edited July 2014
    renzilla wrote:

It worked and it looks a 1000 times better! Thank you so much!
    edited July 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    To those with unsatisfactory graphics/graphic glitches: I've created a thread recently that allows anyone to make their graphics look better, easily. Check it out -- it's been fixing many issues for people!

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/764203.page

Here's how the game can look after this small tweak:
    Poolshadercomparisons.jpg

Thanks for the help! I got it fixed :)
  • CaecusLacrimaCaecusLacrima Posts: 803 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm just downloading mine now and I'm REALLY excited. I only ever bought 2 expansion packs, so to have the rest of the EPs, SPs and DLC come with it is AMAZING.
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    edited July 2014
    I happily went back to the sims 2. I love the game so much. Its my favorite sims game.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • therainbowkitkattherainbowkitkat Posts: 30
    edited July 2014
    I never owned my own copy of The Sims 2, I just continued with The Sims 1 or borrowed TS2 from friends. If I buy a copy of TS2, will it work on my Windows 8 laptop? I tried to install TS1 on my laptop yesterday and it didn't work so I was wondering if the same would happen with TS2.