Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A trip down nostalgia lane! The Sims 2 discussion thread, a place to talk and share about Sims 2!

Comments

• bishtybishty Posts: 393 Member
    edited July 2014
    It's not somewhere strange like in breakfast/lunch or snack or something like that? :P
  • exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited July 2014
    DonLatharo wrote:
    Looks like a great map! Have fun filling it up! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Thank you, but it got deleted right away. :lol: I'm way to OCD about this stuff to let that one slip by. The trees were far too abundant, as well as the ponds/lakes, which were layered so heavy it looked like odd craters of water in some areas. I'm currently working on a lush version of viper canyon. Not even partially done with the town decor yet. But here's what I have so far:

snapshot_00000012_00d82348.jpg

I'll open sc4 later today and attempt a custom map again. ;) I never got to do it when I played sims 2, so this is all new to me. But I know I'll figure it out. :wink:

ETA: I did have a question for Miss Long... How on earth do you add decor (trees rocks etc) out of your viewing range in edit hood mode? I am having issues making it look filled in, because I'm not familiar enough with the process to see that far around the map. Never mind, I found it. 8)
    MrBump13 wrote:
    Thanks so much for the help! I will try this later today! For the DEP, which files do I need to add for the UC? You are so helpful! I really hope this works <3!

You're very welcome. I only knew what was wrong after my first attampt at installing failed, then I paid close attention the second time, and looked to see where the .exe files were for expansions, and having not found them immediately knew what was happening, so I tested it. After I installed it the second time, and poked around a bit, I then ran ccleaner and system checkup, the same as I always do after downloading and installing programs (just to remove the temporary files that come with downloading) and restarted. The game didn't work. This proved my assumption was correct. The third time I knew not to run ccleaner or system check without being very certain to uncheck the remove obsolete programs options, and uncheck all the sims 2 eps and sps from the registry cleaner. Then I restarted and loaded the game. Bam it worked. That's the only reason I was helpful at all. I tend to play around on my pc, in ways I probably wouldn't recommend to your average user, until I get the results I want. This is bad if you don't know programming or technical stuff in general, which I don't. But I'd rather try to fix things myself, unless it's completely out of my grasp or trial and error abilities. It's just who I am. But I'm glad I was able to use my experience to help you. And now you know how to help others with the same issue. Pay it forward. :wink:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • JustLiz87JustLiz87 Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited July 2014
    Love this thread! I have been having a blast playing this and remembering all of the little details. I haven't played since TS3 came out in 2009. First, I played a sim I made in CAS, but I am now playing Cassandra Goth and just had her marry Darren Dreamer. They are on their honeymoon now. I have to say the Sims 3 was really missing a real vacation EP - World Adventures was great, but not a real vacation.
  • KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited July 2014
    No, the cookies aren't anywhere that I could find. I tried all the options. It's just odd.
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    Katnap wrote:
    No, the cookies aren't anywhere that I could find. I tried all the options. It's just odd.

Does your stove have an oven? There's at least one kind that's just a stove top.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    Katnap wrote:

Does your stove have an oven? There's at least one kind that's just a stove top.

Just loaded up my game to help see where it is and all that good stuff.

They can be made at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They are specifically called Santa Cookies.

It does requires just one skill point in cooking to have access to them. And they do require the oven. The ShinyTop oven does not have an oven. The other stoves do have them. ShinyTop is not the cheapest. It's the fully silver one and it is the one that is used in the dorms.

Edit: Finished backing up last night. Including making an external back up (didn't have one and I should update my Sims 3 external, it's over a year old).

And now to uninstall/reinstall. And I have decided to start fresh with my CC. But I will hunt through my old CC to find the stuff I like. Just so I can have organization.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    Katnap wrote:

That's right!- the University Store (silver) doesn't have an over. :)

edited July 2014
    Seera1024 wrote:
    Edit: Finished backing up last night. Including making an external back up (didn't have one and I should update my Sims 3 external, it's over a year old).

And now to uninstall/reinstall. And I have decided to start fresh with my CC. But I will hunt through my old CC to find the stuff I like. Just so I can have organization.

I hope you don't get the hour dl I did, which still isn't much considering it's all the content at once. My son only had a half hour download, but his pc is directly connected to the router. :wink:
    edited July 2014
    Seera1024 wrote:

I hope you don't get the hour dl I did, which still isn't much considering it's all the content at once. My son only had a half hour download, but his pc is directly connected to the router. :wink:

Looks like I've got about an hour for download. Doesn't bother me. I can continue my CC download spree. Right now I think my new downloads folder has more stuff for kids than adults! And dinner will fall somewhere in there most likely. So it's all good.
  • JustLiz87JustLiz87 Posts: 1,074 Member
    edited July 2014
    Katnap - That is odd. I saw the Santa cookies there the last time I played. They were under Dessert. I didn't have to do anything special.
  • KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm pretty sure I am not using the Uni oven, but I'll double check. That makes sense since so far, I haven't really tried to bake anything, and so probably didn't know I can't.

It's been so long since I played.

Thank you all!
  • DonLatharoDonLatharo Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2014
    Seera1024 wrote:
    Seera1024 wrote:

Looks like I've got about an hour for download. Doesn't bother me. I can continue my CC download spree. Right now I think my new downloads folder has more stuff for kids than adults! And dinner will fall somewhere in there most likely. So it's all good.

Have fun, when your game loads, and you get it all set up! I am still in the process of setting it up :), I think I can start playing later tonight :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    edited July 2014
    Katnap wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I am not using the Uni oven, but I'll double check. That makes sense since so far, I haven't really tried to bake anything, and so probably didn't know I can't.

It's been so long since I played.

Thank you all!

I made the same mistake! I was using the uni oven! No wonder i could not cook everything! :oops:
  • simonevans1963simonevans1963 Posts: 206 Member
    edited July 2014
    I am loving all the Sims 2 chat. I have had great times with Sims 3, but I have gone back to TS2 time and again because the game play is so engaging ... I love how the sims interact with each other spontaneously. Holding parties is great fun, I have a mod which means there is no limit to guests, so you can just invite loads of people and watch the fun and fights unfold ... hopefully before the local cop arrives and puts an end to the party for being too rowdy!
  • sammalsammal Posts: 9 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Can we talk about the fact that it is so much harder to get Sim children/teens to do their homework?!

How did my Sims have perfect grades before TS3 was released?! I'm definitely enjoying the challenge though! :)

TS2 was/is amazing! So happy TS4 resembles TS2 more so than TS3.
    edited July 2014
    sammal wrote:
    Can we talk about the fact that it is so much harder to get Sim children/teens to do their homework?!

How did my Sims have perfect grades before TS3 was released?! I'm definitely enjoying the challenge though! :)

TS2 was/is amazing! So happy TS4 resembles TS2 more so than TS3.

A lot of things in the Sims 2 are much harder than in Sims 3, but it makes playing more fun! Try getting into private school... without cheats, now that's a challenge! :lol:
    edited July 2014
    I truely hope they did make ts4 more like ts2, as far as being more challenging, and more dependent on you being involved. Ts3 can play itself with little or no intervention from the person playing it, I missed a lot of these little challenges. Dates were harder, finding a mate was more interesting with having to know their turn on's and off's. Private school, omg I can't wait to see if and what they do with University on ts4. University on 2 was the best, with actually having to be accepted into phrats and soritities. And the secret society kidnapping you. I missed all these things!

Here's the street layout I came up with for my custom hood. I think I have it so the houses be laid out side to side and back to back. I've only just started adding decor today. So I still have a lot of work to do. But I think I can get a ton of houses in this setup. :wink:

snapshot_0000000c_60d96395.jpg

snapshot_0000000c_00d95cc7.jpg

snapshot_0000000c_00d95d04.jpg

The giant hills are there for backdrop, I plan to cover them with trees and such. Again, just learning this one as I go. Any advise from others who are familiar with making custom hoods?
  • tayenriquez20tayenriquez20 Posts: 211 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Sometime last week I contacted EA help about getting my physical copy of the sims 2 added to my origin account in order to get the Ultimate Collection... they had me take a picture of my disc, give them the serial code, but only to just tell me that my code didn't work and I can try again the 22nd.

Did anyone else get this same outcome? Also, what's so special about the 22nd?
    edited July 2014
    It is the official public release date of ts2UC. That's all. It said in my email that it wouldn't be available until then also. But I guess they released it early.

@Seera, how did your reinstall go? And were you able to get all your cc back in without any issues? And your store content, if you had it. I don't think I had much of it, so I didn't back it up.
    edited July 2014
    Sometime last week I contacted EA help about getting my physical copy of the sims 2 added to my origin account in order to get the Ultimate Collection... they had me take a picture of my disc, give them the serial code, but only to just tell me that my code didn't work and I can try again the 22nd.

I've read of a few people that did but you might need to remind them that it was registered on the old TS2 BBS so they are good but can't be re-registered (they already were).

I'd try again if I were you or wait until the 23 to see how EA is going to be giving it out to everyone with the disks.

It did take a few of us more than two tries to get a rep to help. Be patient, be courteous, be persistent- Good luck! :)
    edited July 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:

I've read of a few people that did but you might need to remind them that it was registered on the old TS2 BBS so they are good but can't be re-registered (they already were).

I'd try again if I were you or wait until the 23 to see how EA is going to be giving it out to everyone with the disks.

It did take a few of us more than two tries to get a rep to help. Be patient, be courteous, be persistent- Good luck! :)

"I understand that. I know that the code that you have is valid however, the reason why we are unable to add the game in your Origin is because it is not yet compatible. But don't worry, our team is already working to correct this issue and on July 22nd, I advise that you contact us back and request for digital copy of the game so we can add it to your Origin"

That's what they told me^
    edited July 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:

"I understand that. I know that the code that you have is valid however, the reason why we are unable to add the game in your Origin is because it is not yet compatible. But don't worry, our team is already working to correct this issue and on July 22nd, I advise that you contact us back and request for digital copy of the game so we can add it to your Origin"

Oh, good. That's just one more day and they'll add it for you. :D
    edited July 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Rflong7 wrote:

Oh, good. That's just one more day and they'll add it for you. :D

That's what I'm hoping for!

EDIT: Just got done chatting to an advisor and they were able to add the Ultimate Collection! EEEEE I'm so happy! Now I have something to do while I wait for my CAS demo
    edited July 2014
    @Seera, how did your reinstall go? And were you able to get all your cc back in without any issues? And your store content, if you had it. I don't think I had much of it, so I didn't back it up.

My reinstall went well.

I'm getting new CC. I had so much random CC without meshes or that I never used from downloading random stuff. Doing it in fairly small batches to catch ooops I forgot to get the mesh. Did that with one outfit so far. I currently have more for kids than I do for adults XD

Make that at least two outfits that I forgot to grab the mesh for...

But I'll slowly get there. As soon as I think I have enough CC, I'll be putting my neighborhoods in and seeing what damage was done XD

I'll likely just dump the buy and build mode CC in. Just my CAS CC needed a cleaning and this is as good of an excuse as any to just start from "scratch". I'll probably hunt through for a few outfits if I can't find them on MTS or hairs if I can't find them anywhere.

I should still have all of my meshes for my hair in nice zip/rar folders. I hope. I hope I stuck them in my Sims 2 download folders. It's all I have left CC wise from my old desktop.

And I had no store content. For TS2, 90% of it had to have been stuff from EP's and SP's, which I already had
    edited July 2014
    Starting from scratch can be good sometimes. I get to go hunt down some curtains. I forgot how limited ts2 was with things like curtains and paintings and rugs. I need to get on that asap. :lol: I'm trying to remember where I got the mesh for that one 2x3 rug that had retexture and recolors everywhere. Oh, I hope that one is still out there. If not, I'm sure Heather3182 has it somewhere in her old ts2 stuff. Or maybe not, her ts2 pc did die recently. :shock: At least we aren't sitting around twiddling our thumbs waiting to have a go at 4. :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top