Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A trip down nostalgia lane! The Sims 2 discussion thread, a place to talk and share about Sims 2!

Comments

• exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited July 2014
    Oh, I remember you! :wink: Hi Ludus, good to see you're still about!
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • ludusludus Posts: 144 Member
    edited July 2014
    Oh, I remember you! :wink: Hi Ludus, good to see you're still about!

Still attempting the impossible of a successful YouTube channel ^_^ :twisted:
    edited July 2014
    I bet if you did a series with a challenge you'd get tons more followers. :wink: To draw people in you have to give them something they want to see. Loads of people enjoy watching let's plays, that go on for many episodes. I follow a few myself. :mrgreen:
  • maq_moonmaq_moon Posts: 11
    edited July 2014
    dominimp wrote:
    8)

Also can you do basements in Sims 2? I thought my old families in Sims 2 had basements, I could be wrong though lol
    8)

Technically, but it's a real pain and you'd need to watch/read a tutorial.

So I've been through all 16 pages of this and haven't seen the question whose answer I need- is there a problem with NVIDIA cards?
  • ludusludus Posts: 144 Member
    edited July 2014
    I bet if you did a series with a challenge you'd get tons more followers. :wink: To draw people in you have to give them something they want to see. Loads of people enjoy watching let's plays, that go on for many episodes. I follow a few myself. :mrgreen:

I can hardly persist the interest to forge ten episodes, however this time may differ... hopefully. :lol:

-&-

The cars in the Sims 2 just feel more detailed and elegant. Sims 3 manipulate that cheap vehicle for too many services.

edited July 2014
    I have nvidia 660m, because I'm on a dual card laptop. I have no problems, however, I did have to use nvidia control panel to ensure the game loads with the nvidia card.

There are instruction on how to play the sims using the nvidia control panel on crinricts site, just follow the same instructions only use the .exe for ts2u instead of ts3.exe. Simple enough?

The file for the exe is located here:

C:/Program Files (x86)/Origin Games/The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection/Fun with Pets/SP9/TSBin/Sims2EP9.exe
    ludus wrote:
    I can hardly persist the interest to forge ten episodes, however this time may differ... hopefully. :lol:

-&-

The cars in the Sims 2 just feel more detailed and elegant. Sims 3 manipulate that cheap vehicle for too many services.

Would you be more inclined to continue if it were say an apocalypse type challenge? TS2 is great for this type of challenge because the families stay where you put them, and don't age until you play them. So when you play say 10 episodes of one family, you can jump over to another. This way you have a long running series, and you're town progresses and changes as you play. Do all your lot and town editing off camera, and only record the actual gameplay. At least, that's how I would do it if I wanted to do a let's play type of series. 8)
  • bluebythebookbluebythebook Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2014

I skipped from Sims 1 to Sims 3. Sims 2 was released while I was in college, and thus preoccupied (and using a low-end laptop). So, this week is my first experience with Sims 2.

And, I have to say, holy cow-plant, this game is amazing!

I'm not crazy by how the Sims themselves look; the faces look rubbery and flat even after making some tweaks to the graphics sgr file to play at a higher resolution. But, the objects! The towns! The clothes! I let out an audible gasp when I found the Asian themed furniture and interiors, and literally had to get up from the computer and walk out of the room because it was all too pretty to handle. The Shang Simla furniture and Zen/Asian sets from Sims 3 have always been my favorite items, but this stuff blows it out of the water. I have always chiefly been a builder and designer over a storyteller, so I need to build a few lots and furnish a few more homes before I jump into playing with some families. I did make an idealized-Simself who is already on vacation and is living in my dream apartment, though...

Oh my gosh, I am loving it! Heck, I might play this more than Sims 4 when it comes out.
  • SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited July 2014
    I skipped from Sims 1 to Sims 3. Sims 2 was released while I was in college, and thus preoccupied (and using a low-end laptop). So, this week is my first experience with Sims 2.

I'm not crazy by how the Sims themselves look; the faces look rubbery and flat even after making some tweaks to the graphics sgr file to play at a higher resolution. But, the objects! The towns! The clothes! I let out an audible gasp when I found the Asian themed furniture and interiors, and literally had to get up from the computer and walk out of the room because it was all too pretty to handle. The Shang Simla furniture and Zen/Asian sets from Sims 3 have always been my favorite items, but this stuff blows it out of the water. I have always chiefly been a builder and designer over a storyteller, so I need to build a few lots and furnish a few more homes before I jump into playing with some families. I did make an idealized-Simself who is already on vacation and is living in my dream apartment, though...

Oh my gosh, I am loving it! Heck, I might play this more than Sims 4 when it comes out.

Sims 3 is good enough for what it is, but if you spend the time to get some quality TS2 CC (there is so much of it)(default everything - skins, eyes, hair, clothes - all of it) and read a couple building tutorials, you will be so pleased. Sims 2 is prettier than people give it credit for too, you can zoom in on items and see actual detail.

• KayzaPlyrKayzaPlyr Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2014
    The last time I played TS2 was maybe 2007/08 before it totally destroyed my graphics card :roll: so being able to play again has been amazing. I wish I could play my old families but those files are long gone so I created a Sim with the same last name so I can pretend that she's a descendant. I haven't bothered downloading any mods or CC yet but you can really tell how much nicer TS3 sims look! I was also surprised by how many nice outfits they have, it took me ages to decide on one.

So far I've almost completed the Science career, made 4 friends and completely decorated the house. I've turned aging off because there's just so much to do! Loving this :D

Oh and finally all my old Prima guides have a use now :lol:
  • bluebythebookbluebythebook Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2014
    Seamoan wrote:

Sims 3 is good enough for what it is, but if you spend the time to get some quality TS2 CC (there is so much of it)(default everything - skins, eyes, hair, clothes - all of it) and read a couple building tutorials, you will be so pleased. Sims 2 is prettier than people give it credit for too, you can zoom in on items and see actual detail.

I've never used CC or Mods, in TS3 or TS1, so I would be at a loss as to how or where to start. I was, and remain, really worried about corrupted files and such. But I'll have to look into it if the rubber faces start to bug me more.

And yes, I will give TS3 that the Sims look so. much. better. I still think they look better than the TS4 Sims, too.

Also, this Sims 2 experience has prepared me well for the lack of CASt in TS4. It's not been so bad as I was anticipating. If anything, it's a little freeing to know that I have a finite set of options, so I just have to work with what I've got and that's that. Whereas in TS3, I was always going back and forth and back and forth and backandforth to make sure color hex codes matched, and did this fabric look better tweaked like this or that, etc. I spend more time actually assembling a room and home now, when before I was spending hours in CASt.
  • CalisaneCalisane Posts: 61 Member
    edited July 2014
    I have been feeling nostalgic for TS2 lately, I especially loved Open for Business! I had to get rid of all of my old games when I moved years ago and so I am stoked that EA is doing this giveaway!

I am super jealous of those of you playing right now :P My download is at 25% at the moment so its going to take awhile. Hurry up internet!
    Origin ID Calisane
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    edited July 2014
    I find that even thought I was loving exploring ITF in Sims 3 just this past week when I finally added it to the game, that I am totally focused in Pleasantview and it's subhood's. LOL

I'm playing right now. I'm playing with Florence Delarosa's family right now. They own a huge mansion on the water and a flowershop in bluewater that's very sucessful. Nina Caliente showed up for work just now and I started cracking up. I forgot Nina was the manager there. I mean, I knew that... but it wasn't on my mind when visiting the business after loading their household. I was cracking up.

I'm enjoying Sims 2 so much. The magic is so evident it's crazy.

Came here to share this: Just added a ceiling fan as I had just installed M&G and never even really used it before SECUROM went nuts. So I had Florence turn on the fan, and had instructed the family to eat the dinner served out by Florence. So, I go zoom in on her husband who had just fallen asleep while eating and face forward into the spaghetti. I was literally hysterically laughing. Then I go check on what Florence is doing now as I wanted to get her ready for bed for work again tomorrow... and where is she? She went and sat at the kitchen island next to her daughter (child) and chatted with her while she ate. THIS IS THAT MAGIC we've all been talking about. That greatness about this game. Sims 3? I can't even get them to recognize their own mother on the street.

Micheal Wiley (Dina's husband) came by the flower shop. Nina was basically waiting to "sell" someone and he walked up and greated her (because that's her brother in law). This is what made Sims 2 so darn epic.

It's crazy that I miss a lot of 3 playing 2... but somehow your over it quickly.

Hopefully Sims 4 can *EVENTUALLY* (because right now it's embarrassing, IMHO.) become a perfect blend of the gorgeous aesthetics of the worlds of Sims 3 while recapturing that magic in Sims 2.

Let me get back in game. Had to share those moments. This is why Sims 2 is the best of the 3 to date. EA should be proud to release something to the masses like that for free. It's an absolutely epic game.

• BosniaFTWBosniaFTW Posts: 1,192 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Ugh, the UC is downloading right now, I can't wait to start! I got into Sims 2 around halfway through its lifetime. I never really got into it, mostly because I was much younger, and my computer wasn't the best. It took FOREVER to go anywhere back then, but I hope it's much better with my laptop that can run TS3 on mostly high.

It might be a little hard for me to get into it, since I recently got every EP and SP for Sims 3. I don't know if I can leave behind CASt, open worlds, or rotating furniture freely. At least I have experience with something similar, I still play Simcity 4 to this day because I refuse to buy the abomination that is SimCity 2013.

Ahh, I'm remembering some of my experiences right now as I wait for the download to finish. I ADORED OFB! I love management games in general, especially when it's combined with The Sims. I also remember building HUGE ugly mansions and spamming windows all over it and then copy and pasting motherlode a million times, :lol: I don't think I ever played TS2 without cheats; I was always using motherlode or just choosing an already rich family. It's gonna be interesting to try generational family play without cheats after all these years.

Stupid internet, hurry up!
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    As part of the trip down memory lane, a friend showed me The Sims Career Ladder:

http://www.dorkly.com/post/52012/the-sims-career-ladder#!blNK3V
  • LailaWaltonLailaWalton Posts: 18
    edited July 2014
    Let's start a new Sims 2 community forum and get away from The Sims 3 forums!

http://thesims2.freeforums.org/

Something simple, but if we join and get posting it will be a thriving Sims 2 community in no time as there are so many of us Sims 2 Simmers still around!

If it proves popular we will look at improving the look and feel of the forums also!
  • RamssesRamsses Posts: 115 Member
    edited July 2014
    Been reading through the posts here and I just love everyone's Sims 2 stories!

Just got the uc version yesterday myself and started by going back to Pleasantveiw(haven't been there since sims 3 came out) and seeing all those old sims I used to play with was so heartwarming. :-)

I made a sim and 2 dogs and moved them into the house next to the Caliente sisters and Omg, sims needs go down so fast in this game!
    My sim actually starved to death because his food bar reached full red(unlike like sims 3 where the bar needs to be red for what seems like a week before they actually die), but thankfully Nina Caliente who moved in 2 days earlier was able to save him from the reaper.

Also just seeing all of these things that are different in sims 3 that I had forgotten about!
  • CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    edited July 2014
    This was my first experience of Sims 2 on PC (last Sims 2 I played was on GBA/PS2) and even just at the intro video I could tell it was better put together than 3. Three hours later and this game is so much better, just wish Sims 3 or 4's CAS system was in this then I could make some really beautiful Sims. I didn't use my traditional Sims family of the Rudinskis, I started a fresh one for Sims 2 with a man and a woman (kept the tradition of female Sim first) and then I'm going to take them through the whole creating a family thing, then I realised they age so time is short!

EDIT: Oh and, that music!
    edited July 2014

Something simple, but if we join and get posting it will be a thriving Sims 2 community in no time as there are so many of us Sims 2 Simmers still around!

If it proves popular we will look at improving the look and feel of the forums also!

It hasn't sent me an activation link. Ah, well, tried to sign up.
  • DonLatharoDonLatharo Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2014
    Well I have been away for a while, and I am loving to see how the thread has grown :D, keep it comin'!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • DonLatharoDonLatharo Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2014

Intresting... I might have to register :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • BosniaFTWBosniaFTW Posts: 1,192 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I think I may be having a problem. The Ultimate Collection is taking a long time to load. No, not the loading screen, but for the game to even launch takes a while. And then the game sits at a black screen for a while. Finally, the EA logo pops up, but it doesn't move at all. I still hear the "sue sue" and the sound effects, but nothing moves. I thought the game crashed and used the task manager to end it.

I know it's supposed to take a long time to load up for the first time, but I'd think that the loading screen would take a long time, not just launching the game. Should I try again and wait out the EA logo screen, or is there a problem?
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    BosniaFTW wrote:
    I think I may be having a problem. The Ultimate Collection is taking a long time to load. No, not the loading screen, but for the game to even launch takes a while. And then the game sits at a black screen for a while. Finally, the EA logo pops up, but it doesn't move at all. I still hear the "sue sue" and the sound effects, but nothing moves. I thought the game crashed and used the task manager to end it.

I know it's supposed to take a long time to load up for the first time, but I'd think that the loading screen would take a long time, not just launching the game. Should I try again and wait out the EA logo screen, or is there a problem?

Wait. The game has a lot of work to do that first time. It took mine 10 minutes. Others have taken longer.
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy, agreed. It takes it quite a while the first load to register all the games, make the folders, and install all the content. It can take a long long time. You may think somethings wrong, but you wont know until it definitely crashes, and you'll know bc windows will throw you a pop up.
  • RawrGoesTheCatRawrGoesTheCat Posts: 1,947 Member
    edited July 2014
    Well I already owned TS2 but have been playing the UC since I was missing a couple of EP's and SP's. I'm currently playing my favourite family, the Pleasants. :D I've re-done parts of the house, still trying to make space for a nursery, as I want them to have another child.

I've also given the whole family a makeover, and quit the little affair Daniel and Kaylynn(?) had. They've recently just taken a vacation to Three Lakes, where Lilith met a boy who took her fancy. I guess we'll see where it goes next. :wink:
  • take0nmetake0nme Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm playing TS2 again and happily at that! I never got the chance to get all the EPs at the time. I forgot how amazing it is! Yesss I'm spoiled by the amazing graphics TS3 has that TS2 doesn't but it's also a good reminder of how far EA has come and continues to go for us Simmers.

Here is some of my fav screen grabs as I've been rediscovering TS2 all over again!

30t1k78.jpg kid taking a snooze in the snowy dog house
    5lz4aw.jpg2n1yvlj.jpg

DyFJE8G.jpg
    The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gallery ID : sharipants

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top