Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For everyone angry about "missing features" in the Sims 4

I am also disappointed about not having Toddlers at launch, but it was to be expected, EA publishes for a very substantial amount of game developers, and do not typically budge on release dates, it would cut down on the whole plan. EA's only say in the matter is when to release the game. Secondly, related to a world not as expansive as The Sims 3 relates to how much data is being used simulating dynamic emotions for the whole set of lots, which in turn uses a lot of processing power. If they were to make the worlds substantially more expansive, it would force many people to require a high-level processor and more RAM then is common. Some of these things had to be "cut" at least in the beginning to make The Sims 4 accessible to not just individuals with gaming PCs, but more casual gamers. I am not staunch one way or the other, but I understand some of the technical reasons.

Comments

• Options
    rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    edited July 2014
    No, it is not to be expected that a life simulation game cut out stages previously included.

It is NOT to be expected that a premium price be charged for what appears to be 2/3s of a base game.

And it is most decidely NOT to be expected that EA could not make a choice to delay publishing dates, when they have indeed done so before.

Tradeoffs do need to be made when developing a new game engine, it's true. But it doesn't follow that all tradeoffs are acceptable, or that users should docilely accept an incomplete product for which they are expected to pay full price.
  • Options
    Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited July 2014
    They can cut what they like, but the trade off for that is that I won't be buying it straight away at full price like I did for sims2/3 releases.
  • Options
    LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited July 2014
    Anyone who claims the sims 4 base game is a half product has NOT played the sims 1 and i will never believe otherwise.

Most people crying about ALL the lost content *in the sims 4 base game* regardless of the reasons, are those raised from 2 to 3 alone (aside from having personal issues in their own life) they think *moving ahead* means more stuff in their hands to complain about.

I wouldnt expect to get any *real* discussion on these forums. you will mostly find teens throwing tantrums. :lol:
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2014
    boguczed1 wrote:
    I am also disappointed about not having Toddlers at launch, but it was to be expected, EA publishes for a very substantial amount of game developers, and do not typically budge on release dates, it would cut down on the whole plan. EA's only say in the matter is when to release the game. Secondly, related to a world not as expansive as The Sims 3 relates to how much data is being used simulating dynamic emotions for the whole set of lots, which in turn uses a lot of processing power. If they were to make the worlds substantially more expansive, it would force many people to require a high-level processor and more RAM then is common. Some of these things had to be "cut" at least in the beginning to make The Sims 4 accessible to not just individuals with gaming PCs, but more casual gamers. I am not staunch one way or the other, but I understand some of the technical reasons.

Good points, but people have been playing the TS3 for five years which requires the game to do what you said, and their machines (even laptops) according to many buying TS4 ran TS3 just fine. I don't know I believe that since TS3 is a lag piece of work on my desktop but I have to take their word for it. So that argument to me doesn't hold water about rendering and all. It makes more sense to me this game is left over project material and it's not my fault they made the wrong decision in the beginning.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2014
    Anyone who claims the sims 4 base game is a half product has NOT played the sims 1 and i will never believe otherwise.

Most people crying about ALL the lost content *in the sims 4 base game* regardless of the reasons, are those raised from 2 to 3 alone (aside from having personal issues in their own life) they think *moving ahead* means more stuff in their hands to complain about.

I wouldnt expect to get any *real* discussion on these forums. you will mostly find teens throwing tantrums. :lol:

Parden me, but I did play TS1 and so many who agree with me played TS1, 18,000 of us. Your argument is flawed.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    frozenorangejuicfrozenorangejuic Posts: 1,830 Member
    edited July 2014

Incorrect. I have been playing since Sims 1. I would expect more in Sims 4 than was in Sims 1 the same way I would expect more in the new Zelda game than was in the first one. As technology improves so does expectations.
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:

Parden me, but I did play TS1 and so many who agree with me played TS1, 18,000 of us. Your argument is flawed.

Agreed. I've played since Sims 1 and this only further proves that we are going BACKWARD to 1999. It is not 1999, it's 2014. Every other game on the market is advancing, keeping things from previous versions while also adding in new things. Apparently Sims can't do the same.
  • Options
    RockChickRockChick Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited July 2014
    Nicely put Moonbarker. Pretty much my view as well. I cringe when I look at what EA is trying to pull as a next gen game. And I am incredibly worried about how it's going to cope with patched in content and EPs/DLC down the line if this brand new engine cannot support the best features of previous base games and improve on them.
  • Options
    Megan31917Megan31917 Posts: 457 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm not angry -I'm just not interested in buying a watered down version of a Sims game & hoping outside modders can fix it.

Already went down that road with Sims 3 & refuse to start that up again with 4.

No CAS demo Sim convinced me yet that I'm not looking at Sims 1 type development. EA went backwards alright -all the way back to Sims 1.

The same clothing, furniture & that ridiculous plastic looking hair does not scream 2014 technology to me.

I'm sticking with Sims 3.
  • Options
    IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited July 2014
    Is that serious? ok? someone are mentioning TS1? hi?

Sorry, just because a game that was released 14 years ago (not 14 months ago) hadn't all this number of contents, doesn't mean we can't accept improvements through the time. There's way other examples of famous franchise in which the first game wasn't all that 'full' and they keep on making improvements and updating the Series sequel after sequel.

Of course removals exist (take Pokémon main series as an example) but those removals are not contents that players have been defending as core and nearly as essential and innovative. Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire for example, are remakes of the originals Ruby & Sapphire, but most steps forwards that were in X & Y are included. It's not just because it's a remake that they'd go all the way back.

Now, back to the main point. I really don't get those who claim themselves to be ''true Simmers'' for defending the idea of going all the way back to square one. If you want to play something too basic i'd recommend to go play TS1 or even TS2.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:

Played TS1 here too. Still do actually. Also agreed.
  • Options
    Cendres13Cendres13 Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2014
    boguczed1 wrote:

HOW in the F's was it ever expected??? And no I don't think you understand how game development works at all. Swallow the half baked reasons if you must, but don't presume to make anyone else swallow them too.
  • Options
    SimsFanatic00SimsFanatic00 Posts: 124 Member
    edited July 2014

You took the words right outta my mouth! :-D
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited July 2014

I wouldn't expect to get any *real* discussion on these forums. you will mostly find teens throwing tantrums. :lol:

Yeah, I know, the Sims 1 wasn't very elaborate. In fact the Sims 3 base game was more elaborate than Sims 1 base game, and its first expansion pack combined. You couldn't even leave you're house in the game, until the third expansion pack was released. Also, Even with all the EPs installed, the create a Sim options were far fewer than even the Sims 2, which is why Sims 1 sims tended to look alike.

Yet it was find with most people, because that was state of the art at the time.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    Oh not again. :roll:
    I'm tired of people defending the way TS4 is without any knowledge about software development. Go buy that game if you love it so much but don't try to get others on your side with arguments which you just pulled out of your nose, OP.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited July 2014
    boguczed1 wrote:

I keep hearing this argument and, on the surface, it SOUNDS really reasonable. Except for one tiny problem.... EXPANSIONS! If it were so impossible for them to add a lot of the expected and/or requested things to the base game then how do they mange to add those things with EXPANSIONS later? If the game will not "support" dogs and cats and weather NOW... how will it support those things when they are indeed added in... in expansions???? And how does everyone keep missing this? OF COURSE the game is designed to support an entire HOST of things from new emotions, traits, interactions, animations, lifestates, TONS of PC...the list is endless. So we KNOW the game can and will support a whole host of content. In fact, that's what EA is banking on for when they start pumping out the endless expansions. So the only REAL reason all that stuff ISN'T in the base game is because this game was rushed and they're counting on selling it to us later because apparently they don't have any NEW ideas for expansions.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    AmaraRena wrote:
    I keep hearing this argument and, on the surface, it SOUNDS really reasonable. Except for one tiny problem.... EXPANSIONS! If it were so impossible for them to add a lot of the expected and/or requested things to the base game then how do they mange to add those things with EXPANSIONS later? If the game will not "support" dogs and cats and weather NOW... how will it support those things when they are indeed added in... in expansions???? And how does everyone keep missing this? OF COURSE the game is designed to support an entire HOST of things from new emotions, traits, interactions, animations, lifestates, TONS of PC...the list is endless. So we KNOW the game can and will support a whole host of content. In fact, that's what EA is banking on for when they start pumping out the endless expansions. So the only REAL reason all that stuff ISN'T in the base game is because this game was rushed and they're counting on selling it to us later because apparently they don't have any NEW ideas for expansions.

Two thoughts I have on this but (disclaimer), I'm not a software designer so I don't know for sure.

1. Leaving out all the extra content and expansion stuff definitely makes it so a more casual gamer or one with a lower end computer can play the game. Having all the extras available later sets it up so people whose computers or interest can't handle all the extra content can avoid getting it. Essentially, it gives EA the best of both worlds--accessible to casual players and lower end machines but also designed for more hardcover simmies and those with higher end machines to add in the content they want (which means, EA makes more money on EPs, SPs, etc.).

I'm not necessarily condoning this method. I do think it's a rather savvy business move but it will likely eventually backfire when fans get tired of being nickel-and-dimed to death for additional content (of course you could say that about most dlc these days).

2. I would think, as with servers, that you would start with the minimal amount of content the software or targeted hardware can handle and then slowly add in additional content to make sure it stays stable over time. They've already admitted that they were rushed to meet their deadline so perhaps they mean that they have enough time to make sure the base game is stable without pools and toddlers but not enough time to add in pools and toddlers and then verify that they're stable with the game system.

Again, just a guess since I don't really know. Of course, I'm naive enough to believe that they really are testing server capacities and so forth with the demo while most people seem to think that it's purely a marketing and distraction ploy. I figure it's a little distraction, a bit more marketing and a lot of testing. Again, just my perspective.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited July 2014

I disagree, I have been playing since Sims 1, I am not a teen, far from it. I am however still upset over the way they have left out so much base game content in Sims 4. When making new games you are supposed to move forward, or at the very least make the game on the same scale as it was before. Sims 4 has gone backwards, even further back then Sims 1. Hell even the first sims game had pools. :? The reasons for such things? Time. Thats it. They wasted years making a online game that no one wanted. So why should I as a customer reward them for thier ignorance? Or reward them for thier continued ignorance that they will just salvage what they could from a failed game and try to turn it into something else in the time they had left? Time is a lousy excuse, becouse if they really wanted, thier could always make more time. They just don't give a rats behind.
  • Options
    MoonbarkerMoonbarker Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited July 2014
    JULES1111 wrote:

I disagree, I have been playing since Sims 1, I am not a teen, far from it. I am however still upset over the way they have left out so much base game content in Sims 4. When making new games you are supposed to move forward, or at the very least make the game on the same scale as it was before. Sims 4 has gone backwards, even further back then Sims 1. Hell even the first sims game had pools. :? The reasons for such things? Time. Thats it. They wasted years making a online game that no one wanted. So why should I as a customer reward them for thier ignorance? Or reward them for thier continued ignorance that they will just salvage what they could from a failed game and try to turn it into something else in the time they had left? Time is a lousy excuse, becouse if they really wanted, thier could always make more time. They just don't give a rats behind.

Exactly this. It's their own fault for the mistake they made in the beginning, turning the Sims into an online game/MMO in the first place which clearly no one wanted. And in the real world, saying that you "didn't have enough time" is not a good excuse and unacceptable.
  • Options
    saranel81saranel81 Posts: 138 New Member
    edited July 2014

First of all, a couple of things: I'm not a teen, but I did play TS1 as a teen when it was released, and not everyone who is not buying TS4 upon release is throwing a tantrum. Generalizations tend to be incorrect, as plenty of people have already proven here.

And I'll admit, I'm not buying TS4 because of the no-toddlers thing. It's just the way it is. I didn't expect toddlers to not be included because they added some depth to the generational play in TS2 and TS3. I don't want to lose that. For me, that's all there is to it.

And I'm saying this, when I just might possibly be a "casual gamer." I ONLY play The Sims on my computer (which is nearly 4 years old and still runs TS3 quite well). I have no interest in other PC games, nor do I have (or ever intend to have) any other console. I am not a gamer, I am a simmer. But so far, I'm not impressed with TS4. I don't see why I should be, not when we haven't really seen any actual gameplay yet. If it is being designed for "casual gamers," then I guess I'm not as casual as I thought I was.
  • Options
    Dearra95Dearra95 Posts: 556 Member
    edited July 2014
    AmaraRena wrote:
    boguczed1 wrote:

AMEN! :thumbup: Also, I have been playing since Sims 1 which is all the more reason I am not happy with the direction of Sims 4. I feel it is a step backwards and not forwards.
  • Options
    solosonyasolosonya Posts: 419 Member
    edited July 2014
    I do not mean to be mean but if your computer can't play a game with all the bells and whistles then you can't play it. Look at all the games out there that require a decent computer. We should not expect any less from the sims. Technology is getting better and should not dumbing down for low end computers. There is always the sims 3 ones can play till they can get a better computer. The ultimate goal should be to develop a game that has what the fans want and not having to have a high end or gaming computer to play it. Maybe that is wishful thinking.
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited July 2014

Why compare a game that came out in 2000 to a game that's coming out in 2014? Oh and yes, I have played TS1 and it had an abundance of stuff in the base game for a game that came out at that time. TS4 should have even way more.
  • Options
    boguczed1boguczed1 Posts: 170 Member
    edited July 2014
    Firstly, I apologize for acting like I know a lot about game development, but my mindset is wait and see. I'm not highly optimistic, but sufficient details are at best not present, EA has a habit of playing their cards very, very close to their chest. I hope things look up, but in a capitalist society all that matters is (unfortunately) the "bottom line" I'm not going to give up on the sims just yet, but I may if things keep going downhill. Heck, I'll still have TS1 TS2 and TS3 to keep me content!